Gaa 2013

Red Hand Devil

Plan M ish
"I said a hip hop, hippie to the hippie..."
Just after hearing the news that the lad I've went to nearly every Galway match and loads other GAA matches too for the last 10 years or so has passed away earlier on today. We had made plans last Monday to drive down to Waterford on Sunday for the match. We were even going to start playing Junior C hurling for Gort this year, it would have been the first time we would have played hurling since we were teenagers. We had bought our hurl's, helmets and all the gear 2 weeks ago for the first training session in a few weeks time and were really looking forward to it. The news is after knocking sparks out of me.
Ah Jesus man, im very sorry to have only heard that. Humble apologies i havent been on here lately to hear the sad news & wish you well bro. I hope you're feeling better man :(

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll
Great game yesterday between Tyrone and Kildare. Some massive sledging going on from both sets of players, but no crying or acting like pussies (see Kerry). Delighted to be through to another final although I don't fancy the chances too highly against this Dublin team.
O'Neill's two points at the end there were just...oh my feck. Amazing. The Dublin match was decent, but I'd say it was a bore for the neutral. Twas over after 15 minutes.

BD

Yep. Love him as a player tbh, one of my favourite of all time.

Here's the two points for anyone who didn't see them. Skip to 7.53.

After all my raving during the week, Brogan had a poor enough game yesterday tbh. Hope he picks it up by August.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
I said it earlier in the thread. Kildare are a side full of athletes and lads made for physical contact, but they haven't enough match-winners in their forward line. They have a distinct lack of a Brogan/Cooper/O'Neill/Murphy type and for that reason alone, they won't be near winning the All-Ireland for quite a while.

Buchan

Johnny Doyle is a remarkable footballer, and a remarkable man. Kildare will miss him greatly when he's gone. I remember watching Kildare circa. 2001 as a young lad and Doyle was one of Kildare's main men at the time. Twelve years later and here he is still making mugs of opposition defenders. Fabulous footballer.

Irwinwastheking

Gimpier than Alex and Feeky
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/northern-ireland/22193621

GAA disciplinary chiefs propose ban for player accused of biting

GAA disciplinary chiefs have proposed a suspension for an unnamed Dublin footballer accused of biting Donegal's Paddy McBrearty during the recent Football League game with Donegal at Ballybofey.

The Central Competitions Control Committee have suggested the ban, which is reported to be a three-match suspension.

The Dublin County Board has confirmed that they will appeal the suspension.

McBrearty needed treatment for a cut shoulder, which he sustained in the first half of the drawn match, which consigned Donegal to relegation.

Donegal officials had revealed that referee was informed of the injury and the allegation was mentioned in the referee's report.

Dublin were also made aware of the matter and the Dubs' team doctor was shown McBrearty's injury after the Division 1 game on 7 April.

However, Dublin chairman Andy Kettle said last week that the county's doctor had expressed the opinion that McBrearty's injury looked to be a "bruise, not a laceration".

If the three-match ban does take effect, the Dublin player will miss the Football League Division 1 semi-final against Tyrone and the county's first two Championship games.

McBrearty's shoulder was treated at half-time and following the Ballybofey contest and the Kilcar club-man was then taken to Letterkenny Hospital for a further assessment.
Wonder who it was. Anyone know who was marking McBrearty that day??

BD

Twas Kevin O'Briein who bit him, and he's going to contest the ban if he gets one.

Irwinwastheking

It's either a 'he did or he didn't thing' surely.

If he bit him then he should be banned regardless of whether the Dublin doctor says he only bruised him.

BD

You'd imagine so, but he seems to be denying the allegations. I guess its in the hope that there isn't enough evidence or something like that. Tbh, I've kinda stayed away from this story as it seems to have dragged on for ages.

Irwinwastheking

If he did bite him I hope he gets banned. Dirty act.

Should be pretty easy to prove, a photo of the injury would be fairly damning. If the Dub management know he did it and are trying now to call the Donegal lad a liar it's a pretty low act too.

BD

Yeah, agreed, should be banned if he did bite him. Pretty rotten thing to do.

Irwinwastheking

Tyrone Vs Dublin in the Div 1 final this weekend. Should be a decent test for both teams and given the recent past (20 years) I'd say it'll be played at championship intensity and pace so should be a really good indication of where both teams are. I fancy Dublin, but if the Tyrone forwards fire then it might be close.

Decotron

The Dubs have one of the strongest panels Ive seen in years in terms of numbers.

A Cork man told me last night he facied Dublin for the All Ireland one we got a decent captain/leader out there. He probably has a point there tbf...

Irwinwastheking

This will tell a tale of how real Dublin's credentials are more-so than the Leinster Championship. They really look the team to beat at the moment.

BD

So O'Brien got cleared of biting. I'm not complaining anyway.

Should be a good game today, weather looking good too. I think we'll have too much for Tyrone but you never know.

Irwinwastheking

I hate this feeling I get before a game. I swear I'm the GAA equivalent of a scouser and I always think we're going to do it before the games only to get shat on from a height. I'm more confident now than I was a week ago. So long as it's a good game and close I'll be happy. Skipping the United game for this. (will be streaming it)

BD

You obviously aren't going to it then? Thought I might've been able to shout abuse at you again.

Is it not on TV? I presumed it wouldve been on Setanta or RTE or something.

Irwinwastheking

How Duffy was given that game after his performance in the Tyrone Kerry game is beyond me. Well done Dublin though, good game and we missed oneill. Looking forward to the Donegal game now with more confidence.

BD

Good game that. We were quite sloppy, but those two points from Rock were class.

What was the story with O'Neill? Just precautionary with an eye on the Donegal match?

Stick

Supports
Liverpool
Good game that. We were quite sloppy, but those two points from Rock were class.

What was the story with O'Neill? Just precautionary with an eye on the Donegal match?
Hurt his ankle in the warm up.

The game was a good spectacle but some of the Dubs found it hard to get space. Connolly and Brogan were a bit annonymous and Rock really delivered off the bench. It worried me that Tyrone were able to stifle a lot of the attacking moves. I think Alan Brogan would really make a difference to that Dublin side with his very intelligent runs and use of the ball in the half forward line.

Big Papi

I ❤ Clucko
Should be a cracker today. A revitalised Tipp v a superstar Kilkenny team who looked out on their feet early on in the league, but managed to fall over the line.

With no Shefflin and no Cody. I am going for a definite Tipp win today which means I will have to listen to shite from the FD in work.

Tipp have to lay down a marker today because the championship format will suit a limping Kilkenny team and it gives them a good few weeks yet to recover. Tipp v Kilkenny in August or September will be a totally different prospect.

Big Papi

I ❤ Clucko
Well, forget what I said earlier.

Kilkenny's dominance in one-to-one aerial duels was immense. Once they took that 2 point lead at HT, it really was the difference all through the second half.

The sequence of action around 43 mins which lead up to the two red cards was brilliant.

The Black Pearl

Hurling Man of the Land
Well that limping Kilkenny team were deserving winners in the end today. Tipp has obviously improved a lot since last years fiasco but going by today's match they have a bit do yet to get up to Kilkenny's level and I still think Clare will win Munster. Kilkenny looked to be always in control of things and the scary thing about it is Shefflin was sitting above in the stand.

So looking back at the league campaign and with the championship around the corner I'm afraid it's hard to look beyond Kilkenny lifting Liam again this year.

Well done to the Galway U21 footballers as well yesterday who beat Cork to win the U21 All-Ireland championship. There might be a bit of hope for the senior team who's gone into the wilderness for the last decade or so in a year or two's time yet.

Big Papi

I ❤ Clucko
I'd love to see Michael Dempsey coming home with all he has learned in Kilkenny and put it to good use on either or both our football and hurling teams.

Buchan

Tipperary are in huge trouble this year if that's the measure of their forwards' contribution. Totally cleaned out and lost every single individual duel today. Take Brendan Maher's four points from play and the frees that they knocked over, there wasn't a whole lot the Tipperary forwards did over the 70 minutes.

Mick Fennelly was in ominously good form today. He's very hard to live with in that form.

Irwinwastheking

Starts tomorrow properly.

Galway v Mayo
Westmeath v Carlow
Cavan v Armagh

Two of them are decent games and I assume The Ulster and Connaught games will be televised. I actually think Cavan will get an upset tomorrow and think Mayo will win in Galway.

Big Papi

I ❤ Clucko
Mayo and Westmeath will win by 8 points. Cavan/Armagh is harder to call.

Heading over to Portlaoise now for minors and seniors. Only a tenner in and hopefully two good wins!!

Irwinwastheking

Good man. I should go into Sligo tonight to watch the Rovers but it's pissing rain and pretty miserable so I think I'll skip it.

BD

Looking forward to it starting. I think Mayo, Armagh and Westmeath will get wins.

Donegal v Tyrone is a tough one to call. We do a prediction thing in our house and I can't call that one. If Tyrone were at home I'd go for them, but it's hard to win away. That game will probably decide the winner since you'd imagine the winner of that game will go a long way.

Big Papi

I ❤ Clucko
The minors had a great win - very impressive. The senior game was dirge but we'll take any win. Carlow next up and if we account for them, we'll move up to proper level of hurling (of sorts).