GAA 2014

iSparky

Likes Dags. but not as much as his Dad
Way, way too many wides towards the end. They are panicking the Dubs. Obviously I would love to see the Dubs win however part of me says that they need to be knocked back down to earth, they were starting to believe their own hype.

Fair play to Donegal, they were on the ropes at the start of this game but came back into it and executed brilliantly.

Big-Red

Not actually very big
Staff
Supports
this year is my year on SM
Bitter wankers about in here.

Big Papi

I ❤ Clucko
This beats Gerrard's slip as the best sporting moment hands down! Brillent, brillent game and such a result. Donegal should have scored six goals.

Lynk

Obsessed with discrediting Danny Welbeck
The funniest thing I heard during the week was a journalist asking Brogan if they can do a 5 in a row. :lol:

Lynk

Obsessed with discrediting Danny Welbeck
Darragh Maloney calling them the unbeatable after 1 all Ireland :lol:

iSparky

I'm a Meath man....I'm allowed :D
To be honest I won't argue that point. I can understand Meath fans reveling in Dub misery, that is acceptable, sure us Dubs would do the same.

I look at it this way after a loss in any sport though, if my team always won it would bore the tits off me and I would never watch sport at all.

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?
To be honest I won't argue that point. I can understand Meath fans reveling in Dub misery, that is acceptable, sure us Dubs would do the same.

I look at it this way after a loss in any sport though, if my team always won it would bore the tits off me and I would never watch sport at all.
Being honest, I don't particularly care....Only reason I wanted Dublin to lose today was due to the hype and the arrogance of certain players on the Dublin panel.

I've fallen out of love with Gaelic football since people I knew, and hated, got into the Meath Panel some years back

iSparky

nope.....but nearly on the anniversary of Cromwell too, the serendipity would have been a thing of beauty.
:lol:

Dublin are a smashing side but they were caught cold, haven't had a test since the final last year.
This is the first true test they had. I was cautious heading into this game, hate when players believe their own hype. Hopefully this is the kick in the balls they need.

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll
Well feck that. We went back to brainless, headless chicken football towards the end there.

Very annoying, and a dub woman screaming shrill shite into my ear for 70 minutes didn't help.

RexHamilton

Gumshoe for hire
Great game of football. Donegal defending in numbers and attacking numbers with pace was phenomenal to watch. Dublin had them on the ropes early on but never pushed on and allowed Donegal to grow in confidence. Makes for a great final.

Big Papi

I ❤ Clucko
Great game of football. Donegal defending in numbers and attacking numbers with pace was phenomenal to watch. Dublin had them on the ropes early on but never pushed on and allowed Donegal to grow in confidence. Makes for a great final.
I think Donegal will win it well. If it was Mayo there, I might be in two minds, but for me Donegal are much better than Kerry.

RexHamilton

Gumshoe for hire
I think Donegal will win it well. If it was Mayo there, I might be in two minds, but for me Donegal are much better than Kerry.
Maybe. Hard write off Kerry in a final though. O'Donoghue is as good a forward as there is in the country at the moment and to have the option of Donaghy is a huge asset too. Gives them another option. I reckon it'll be a good game. Donegal were very impressive today though and will rightly go in as favourites.

The Black Pearl

Hurling Man of the Land
Ah sure people love seeing Dubs lose, I think the true sad bastards are the ones who actually revel in Dublin losing lol!
I do a fair bit of reveling myself when Dublin lose, I had a few extra sacepans above in Dicey's today and even had a few half ones fck'd into them too for instance although saying that I do feel a bit for moses on days like today. For a jackeen he seems to be sound enough. That might have a lot got to do with the man living down here in the shticks for a while now too though, I don't know.

predator

Youth NITK
A few questions regarding Gaelic football.

Which County is regarded as the best as in historically?
Are the players well paid?
Are any of the players known to play football or any other sports in their free time.
Is the sport itself difficult. It does look easy but maybe thats just pure naivety.

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll

Are any of the players known to play football or any other sports in their free time.
Is the sport itself difficult. It does look easy but maybe thats just pure naivety.
Dublin :wenger:

Its amateur, though some get money from sponsors and the likes, but not enough to get by without a day job.

I'm sure they do, but not to any sort of level. They commit so much of their free time to football already I can't imagine they'd have much left for another sport. 3 training sessions a week and a job and a match on some weekends. It's now nearly a professional sport played by 'amateurs'.

At the highest level or in general? At the highest level the speed and skill is ridiculous, a huge gulf between that and the next level down. About as easy to play as football I'd say, but I don't really know how to gauge how easy it is.

Big Papi

I ❤ Clucko

Don't mind BD94.

Kerry have 36 titles, Dublin 24. After that, you're down to Galway (9), Cork and Meath - both on 7. There is a provincial system and traditionally, Ulster has been the toughest to come out of, as they're all mad in the f*cking head up there. It's parish-based ethos, means that, more or less, you play for where you come from....both club and county. That's why, Dublin with a quarter of the country's population, should be winning more. It doesn't explain why they are such cnuts though.

Kerry have done two four-in-a-rows (1929-32 and 1978-81) and the only other county to have done one is Wexford back almost 100 years ago.

The players are amateur, though the best will almost certainly end up going through college on a scholarship and tend to get very well looked after while there. Though county players can be unemployed, quite often, they will get jobs given their high profile, working as sales reps or in banks.

GAA consists of hurling, football, handball and rounders. You will often have dual players in hurling and football at club level, but the demands on county players is so high, very few players nowadays do both. Very few counties support - really support - both sports so it's not much of an issue in most counties. Cork would be the greatest dual county, though Dublin and to a lesser extent, Tipperary, are making strides in their 'second' sport. Galway and Offaly would have always had traditionally strong teams in both codes.

Rounders is only a club sport and has no major county profile. DJ Carey, one of the greatest hurlers of all time, played hurling and has All Ireland medals in handball.

The GAA also caters for the cultural side of Irish life such as music, dancing and the Irish language.

Gaelic football is ok to learn to play. The 'big ball' element likens it to soccer and once you've mastered the skills of soloing (toe-tapping) and catching the ball, you're halfway there. After that, you just have to learn to take a belt! And learn the genealogy of your opponent's family, so you slag his mother and sisters etc.......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All-Ireland_Senior_Football_Championship_records_and_statistics

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_All-Ireland_Senior_Football_Championship_finals

Gee Male

Two great semis this weekend by the sounds of it, gutted that we came out the wrong end of what seems a classic against Kerry. I was over at Electric Picnic and ended up listening to the game on the radio from a speaker outside a Thai restaurant, I was pissed at the start that I couldn't see it but ended up having the greatest of craic with the other football weirdos around there.

From what I've heard and read since, the ref had a shocker and Mayo came out the worst of it - I see that the Indo on Sunday referred to "the little known 'foul Aidan O'Shea as much as you like, because he's not going to get a free' rule" which I had brought up after the first game, but I haven't seen the game so can't really comment. Regardless, the consensus seems to be that the better team won, so everything else is just petty points scoring.

Happy to see Donegal winning too - nothing against the Dubs but it's always good to see an underdog getting through. Up for Kerry in the final though, partly as a result of the craic I had with a couple of sound Kerry lads during the game on Saturday, partly because Donegal fans were almost insufferable for e 12 months after September 2012.

Completely fecked after the weekend. Off to bed.

Gee Male

2 incredible games..... Power of Donegal was awesome. If they play like that in the final, they'll win Sam.
Got a nice touch yesterday, Paddy Power was quoting Donegal @4/1:eek: at HT yesterday, needless to say I took a piece of that!
I backed Donegal plus 6, wasn't any braver than that. Though for the second week in a row I had money on Mayo Kerry draw, can't argue with that!

Stick

Supports
Liverpool
Well done Donegal. Physically they battered Dublin and played the game with a huge intensity. Dublin didnt have an answer for it after a decent start.

|Neo|x

So anyone have any thoughts on the final this Sunday? Going to be a cracker of a game, second All Ireland in a row where I'm really struggling to pick a winner and the bookies seem to be having the same problem. Odds of 10/1 for a draw look pretty decent aswel when you consider what this year has been like.

Tickets seem to be pretty hard to come across this year also. Even close relatives to the players are having problems getting tickets from what I've heard.

No matter what the outcome Sunday it has been a great year for hurling and I hope the final will match the quality of the matches played throughout the year. As a Kilkenny man myself I'll obviously be hoping Liam comes back with us, but I'm expecting nothing but a close game.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
I'm not looking forward to tomorrow at all. First big championship match I've missed since I started going to Tipperary games in 1998. My heart is broke.

Saw Tipperary priced up at 6/4 earlier in the week. Is that price still available? One of the bets of the year, if so.