Viva Obertan,
Laurent Blanc couldn't use him,
Because apparently he's mental,
Viva Obertan!

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
I posted this in the Transfer Forum thread, but I guess it's more relevant here:

My mate says he's watched him frequently and thinks he's well average, mind you he said this in the capacity that Oberton was labelled 'the new Henry'.

I've never watched him myself, but he must be highly rated to have been signed by United. Has anyone on here watched him regularly, and if so, what're your thoughts? I'm looking your way Kouroux.

Also, what does this mean for the likes of Nani, Tosic and that other guy (Llajic?)? Assuming Valencia was signed as a XI player, would this mean Nani would move to the other flank with Tosic and this Oberton given time to develop? Or is he due for a more active first team role in the side?

PeteReDevil

iPete
I posted this in the Transfer Forum thread, but I guess it's more relevant here:

My mate says he's watched him frequently and thinks he's well average, mind you he said this in the capacity that Oberton was labelled 'the new Henry'.

I've never watched him myself, but he must be highly rated to have been signed by United. Has anyone on here watched him regularly, and if so, what're your thoughts? I'm looking your way Kouroux.

Also, what does this mean for the likes of Nani, Tosic and that other guy (Llajic?)? Assuming Valencia was signed as a XI player, would this mean Nani would move to the other flank with Tosic and this Oberton given time to develop? Or is he due for a more active first team role in the side?
SAF must not have that much confidence in Nani finally breaking through - all these wingers/attacking mids we've been signing

Ekeke

I'm thinking Nani and Valencia will be thinking that next season is their time and they'll be used the most, with Park rotating in. Tosic and Obertan used as a sub.

Then when Ljajic comes in Jan, he too to be eased in as a sub. But in 2 years time if Ljajic and Obertan fully realise their potential they could be the ones starting and the others filling in for them. Nani and Valencia are older and more experienced and are in the immediate future better players, but thats not to say the same will be the case after Ljajic and Obertan have settled in properly.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
If the Argie leaves
And joins the neighbourhood
Who ya gonna call?
Obertan

His head’s shape so weird
But he looks so good
Who is gonna score
Obertan

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer

Tosic and Llajic are still far away from the first team, as our most of our promising youngsters such as Petrucci, James etc. IMO only Welbeck and Macheda will get games in the first team from the youth team players

Keano1999

I'm glad to see Fergie is still focused on the future rather than trying to buy for the short term before he retires. I hope he does well and like that we've bought another big quick winger.

Isn't Llajic a central midfielder?

Ekeke

I'm glad to see Fergie is still focused on the future rather than trying to buy for the short term before he retires. I hope he does well and like that we've bought another big quick winger.

Isn't Llajic a central midfielder?
No.

Played right wing for youth teams, mostly played left wing for Partizan since Tosic has left them and plays in the hole behind a striker sometimes for Serbian international under 19 side.

So pretty much everywhere but central midfield.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
I'm thinking Nani and Valencia will be thinking that next season is their time and they'll be used the most, with Park rotating in. Tosic and Obertan used as a sub.

Then when Ljajic comes in Jan, he too to be eased in as a sub. But in 2 years time if Ljajic and Obertan fully realise their potential they could be the ones starting and the others filling in for them. Nani and Valencia are older and more experienced and are in the immediate future better players, but thats not to say the same will be the case after Ljajic and Obertan have settled in properly.
Woops, I totally forgot about Park. You guys have a decent set of wingers you can rotate through - Park, Valencia and Nani all being First Teamers, with Obertan and Ljajic and Tosic being given time to ease into it and develop.

robthered

To the tune of Spiderman:

Obertan, Obertan
Scores a goal whenever he can
He's got a kidney for a head
We don't care now he's a red

Look out here comes the Obertan

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
I think it's time we started a new forum specifically for discussing which forums other threads should be in. And then banned such talk outside of that forum.
makes sense to me :wenger:

anyway I just watched a youtube of this guy and I have decided he is the new Ronaldo - no in fact he is much better than that - BPITW etc

Drifter

American
Suppose it's welcome then for Obertan.I'll reserve judgement on is development.

lao

I think that Nani's mentality has cost him his United career. He definitely has the skills and potential, but fergie isn't an admirer of bad attitude.

Ekeke

Woops, I totally forgot about Park. You guys have a decent set of wingers you can rotate through - Park, Valencia and Nani all being First Teamers, with Obertan and Ljajic and Tosic being given time to ease into it and develop.
I agree we have the depth and numbers. The question is whether Valencia and Nani can step it up and be as good as anything our rivals can put on the wings... We'll have to see. We know thats just not the case for Park, bless him. And we can always count on him for big games.

Right now I think Chelsea's wings (Zhirkov and Cole) and your wings (Arshavin and Nasri) look the strongest, then ours are about as good as Liverpool's.

devilish

I think that Nani's mentality has cost him his United career. He definitely has the skills and potential, but fergie isn't an admirer of bad attitude.
Nani will be given at least another year to prove himself. SAF himself stated it.

Ekeke

To the tune of Spiderman:

Obertan, Obertan
Scores a goal whenever he can
He's got a kidney for a head
We don't care now he's a red

Look out here comes the Obertan
Pretty good effort, although he scores about as often as Park. So might be best to change it to "makes a goal" :smirk:

Ballache

Supports
Martial
Nani will become our first coice winger next season

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
I truly hope so, last season saw Park higher in the pecking order.
Largely due to the need for defensive stability in midfield which was needed because of Ronaldo, although Park was in terrific form during the middle of the season. But now that Ronaldo's gone, the need for a defensive player out wide lessens particularly as Valencia is a grafter.

devilish

I guess Nani will up his game and mature when he can't rely on older brother.
I think that the 'older brother' was damaging his career rather then help it out. You cant have 2 prima donnas in 1 team.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
the transfer forum is there to discuss transfer rumours. Once a player becomes a Manchester United player then he should be discussed in here.
Fine - discuss the player then, don't just duplicate what you posted in the transfer forum. This forum is for good threads.

Anyway, this thread has got a life now, thanks to other posters.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
In the under 21 game, Obertan wore the number 7 :)

Not sure how to enbed so will: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViEeHYTfXYY

the pace he shows for that first burst is incredible really. He's got great balance - he runs with a straight back it seems

With him being versetile, it gives us a lot of options. Hopefully people will be paitent with him

devilish

Fine - discuss the player then, don't just duplicate what you posted in the transfer forum. This forum is for good threads.

Anyway, this thread has got a life now, thanks to other posters.
I only duplicated 1 post ie the one from the Manchester United site regarding us signing the player. If a player signs with us then he deserves to be discussed in the Manchester United forum like any other player.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
In the under 21 game, Obertan wore the number 7 :)

Not sure how to enbed so will: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViEeHYTfXYY

the pace he shows for that first burst is incredible really. He's got great balance - he runs with a straight back it seems

With him being versetile, it gives us a lot of options. Hopefully people will be paitent with him
Choon!

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
Great tune.

And more on topic is Oberton the French Walcott, perchance?

Looks like he's going to be great on the break.

RapidRed

A colleague of mine who follows French football pretty closely and is not a "muppet" told me Obertan, in his opinion, is a bit shit. :(

Hopefully he is proven wrong and I can change my opinion about my colleague not being a "muppet".

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
A colleague of mine who follows French football pretty closely and is not a "muppet" told me Obertan, in his opinion, is a bit shit. :(

Hopefully he is proven wrong and I can change my opinion about my colleague not being a "muppet".
in fairness who do you trust more? him or Sir Alex? :)

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
More excited about signing him than I am about Owen. Think the lad has terrific potential. We supposedly know what we're getting with Owen and I stopped rating him highly years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.