Gabriel Obertan | 2009/10 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chirag

Euro '08 League Winner
Well you need not be so sad.. As I said in the transfer forum I doubt he was likely to join up with the squad for the pre-season tour to Asia anyway as he played in that U20 Toulon tournament and won player of the tournament too.. I think he deserves a longer holiday..

More excited about signing him than I am about Owen. Think the lad has terrific potential. We supposedly know what we're getting with Owen and I stopped rating him highly years ago.
Aye.. Same here..

Ekeke

Great tune.

And more on topic is Oberton the French Walcott, perchance?

Looks like he's going to be great on the break.
Suggested that in another thread. Kourox said he thinks more like Henry though.

Also... Didnt Ronaldo and Quaresma have an impressive performance against England under 21s like a few weeks or a month before we signed Ronaldo? Think I recall that.

lao

Also... Didnt Ronaldo and Qauresma have an impressive performance against England under 21s like a few weeks or a month before we signed Ronaldo? Think I recall that.
I guess fergie's definition of 'long time' is three months.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Nice to have an unknown quantity. With Owen and Valencia we know what we are getting. The fact that we don't have a clue about him is exciting. Shit name, mind.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
A colleague of mine who follows French football pretty closely and is not a "muppet" told me Obertan, in his opinion, is a bit shit. :(

Hopefully he is proven wrong and I can change my opinion about my colleague not being a "muppet".
Sir > French rent boys

Sc40les

welcome to Man Utd Obertan.. ;)

our new number 7 ?? ;)

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Does anyone else think Nani's career at United is coming to an end?

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
At the moment Nani can be only be considered second to Park and Valencia. Tosic, Ljajic and Obertan are still very young, raw and not EPL tested.

championo

Top Stalker
Both have important seasons coming up but to write off tosic is absurd.
Yes, very absurd, but can we really hold on to these players? And for how long?
Ubertan, Nani, Valencia, Park, Tosic, Ljajic? Though I heard Ljajic can play in the middle, it still just too many players for the wing.

rotherham_red

Doubt it. Obertan is still too raw, Tosic is lightweight, and now with Ronaldo gone, Park's end-product in the final third is lacking. I think this pre-season will show to what extent he is in Fergie's thinking, but I definately think he will get the opportunities to make or break his United career.

devilish

I think that the number 7 shirt should remain vacant. Let Ljajic, Nani, Obertan and co 'fight' for it on the pitch.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I'm confused over which Obertan thread to post in. I think I'll use this one as it's spelt correctly.

GIT Z RED

French Revelations: The Fabulous Destiny Of Gabriel Obertan

Loaned out last season by the Girondins de Bordeaux to Lorient, where he did not necessarily convince, France Under-21 international Gabriel Obertan will have his world changed by joining the great Manchester United...
8 Jul 2009 3:08pm

It’s a surprise! Gabriel Obertan had to pinch himself several times before he realised he was not dreaming. Little used by Laurent Blanc last season with Girondins de Bordeaux before being loaned to Lorient for six months, the French Under-21 international will join one of the biggest clubs in the world, Manchester United, runners-up in the Champions League and reigning English title holders.

Hosted by his new coach, Sir Alex Ferguson, on Monday, the Parisian is about to sign a four-year contract with the Red Devils, who will pay €3 million for their second summer recruit after Antonio Valencia.

Following the path of David N'Gog and Vincent Pericard?

How will the prestigious English club improve a striker who has never confirmed his sensational first outings in the jersey of his formative club, which were made three years ago?

Sir Alex Ferguson has not forgotten that time and has always kept an eye on Obertan, taking notes from his spiritual son, Laurent Blanc, who completed his career under the command of the Scot. The latter believes in Obertan’s potential.

“I was surprised too, but it is an unexpected chance for him to play with one of the best clubs in the world,” the coach told Europe1. “Manchester have been tracking him for a long time. They certainly hope to advance him, something that Bordeaux and Lorient have failed to do. He has the potential, but he must overcome psychological and mental challenges so he can express his true value.”

This is obviously not the first time a promising French player has crossed the Channel to try his luck. And they have had mixed fortunes. Nicolas Anelka is obviously the most striking example, but he is nevertheless also the one that hides the forest. Behind him is a little carnage. From Jeremie Aliadiere to Vincent Pericard through to Adel Taarabt, few have succeeded. Sir Alex Ferguson hopes to emulate Liverpool, who took Parisien striker David N'Gog to Merseyside, though he will aim for a better return from Obertan.

One thing is certain, Gabriel Obertan will be tested when he is given the opportunity, just like a Federico Macheda last season. In contact with Giggs, Rooney and Ferdinand, he has certainly found the perfect environment to confirm his immense talent and he is in the best position to answer to all the expectations placed in him.

Arnaud Demmerle, Goal.com France

devilish

Ubertan, Nani, Valencia, Park, Tosic, Ljajic? Though I heard Ljajic can play in the middle, it still just too many players for the wing.
Park, Ljajic and Nani can play on both flanks (Ljajic can play in the hole), Valencia can also play in central midfield, Obertan can also play upfront and as central midfielder and Wellbeck is a forward.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Orbertan can play in a varity of positions, which gives us four. I think Sir Alex will experiement alittle. I know valencia can play central midfield - not sure if he can in a 2?

Tosic wants to play at United, he's a united fan. Nani is probably more of a united fan then Ronaldo was. Let's not forget he's only 22. It's a big season for him but he looks to be our best goalscoring winger out of that lot

Ljajic is still a kid and will probably get a game or two but more so in the cup as every game becomes more tense

God knows how Sir Alex does it, but he'll do it again. I just think he will want to look at one or two things

Ekeke

Orbertan can play in a varity of positions, which gives us four. I think Sir Alex will experiement alittle. I know valencia can play central midfield - not sure if he can in a 2?

Tosic wants to play at United, he's a united fan. Nani is probably more of a united fan then Ronaldo was. Let's not forget he's only 22. It's a big season for him but he looks to be our best goalscoring winger out of that lot

Ljajic is still a kid and will probably get a game or two but more so in the cup as every game becomes more tense

God knows how Sir Alex does it, but he'll do it again. I just think he will want to look at one or two things
According to what? :confused: So far in his career Nani has proven to be more of a fan of cash than of any one club. And I like Nani and think he can go far here, but still. There is absolutely nothing to suggest he's more of a United fan than Ronaldo.

December_16

We'll definitely see some more tinkering/experiment next season up front and on the wings. One huge positive though: Rooney should no longer be employed on the flank.

OneUnited24

I think that the number 7 shirt should remain vacant. Let Ljajic, Nani, Obertan and co 'fight' for it on the pitch.
Who knows giving it to Nani could boast his confidence and give him the desire to prove himself, when Ronaldo came we didnt think he was number 7 material (or i didnt after we lost Becks) but he proved me wrong

We'll definitely see some more tinkering/experiment next season up front and on the wings. One huge positive though: Rooney should no longer be employed on the flank.
I think we are actually going to move more towards our normal 442 with out and out wingers opposed to the free scoring wingers like Messi and Ronaldo who play in a 433

devilish

Who knows giving it to Nani could boast his confidence and give him the desire to prove himself, when Ronaldo came we didnt think he was number 7 material (or i didnt after we lost Becks) but he proved me wrong
Ronaldo had improved year after year. Nani had regressed rather then improve.d Let the player who gets the no 7 sweat hard for it.

OneUnited24

Ronaldo had improved year after year. Nani had regressed rather then improve.d Let the player who gets the no 7 sweat hard for it.
I thought Ronaldo was really inconsistant in his first 2 seasons, he would start coming good towards the end of seasons but was still hit and miss.

Striker10

According to what? :confused: So far in his career Nani has proven to be more of a fan of cash than of any one club. And I like Nani and think he can go far here, but still. There is absolutely nothing to suggest he's more of a United fan than Ronaldo.
he was quoted -sigh- as saying oneday he'd play for united and he has never come out saying i want to leave...or he has a dream..has he?

I think he might have said it on some video too when someone asked him his favourite clubs or something

Your basing that on sporting to United about the cash. It might have been a tactic for the club to get rid. Who knows?

I doubt we'll see much ronaldo posturing at madrid but that's me speculating. Likewise last season Nani was professional enough to take it and when we sold ronaldo he came out sharpish stating his desire to prove himself at united

Maybe another way to look at it is I don't think Nani views madrid as the best club...

Ekeke

he was quoted -sigh- as saying oneday he'd play for united and he has never come out saying i want to leave...or he has a dream..has he?

I think he might have said it on some video too when someone asked him his favourite clubs or something

Your basing that on sporting to United about the cash. It might have been a tactic for the club to get rid. Who knows?

I doubt we'll see much ronaldo posturing at madrid but that's me speculating. Likewise last season Nani was professional enough to take it and when we sold ronaldo he came out sharpish stating his desire to prove himself at united

Maybe another way to look at it is I don't think Nani views madrid as the best club...
Nani had contract disputes over money whilst at Sporting. Turned a section of the fans against him.

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
I am happy with the signing of Obertan, mainly because the reported fee of £3m is inferior to the standard price for a promising winger.

Besides I heard a few interviews from him recently and he sounds rather clever, which is always useful even on a football pitch. Apparently he has the Baccalauréat in France, which equals to GCSE in Literature hence he must have notions of English, not as much as me of course (:cool:), but respectably enough that would enable him to settle in quickly.

devilish

I thought Ronaldo was really inconsistant in his first 2 seasons, he would start coming good towards the end of seasons but was still hit and miss.
The second season was better then the season before + he did better at 18 then Nani did last year.

Striker10

Nani had contract disputes over money whilst at Sporting. Turned a section of the fans against him.
true at sporting. how manys he had at united though? ;)

thoward

It's not a lisp!

Also... Didnt Ronaldo and Quaresma have an impressive performance against England under 21s like a few weeks or a month before we signed Ronaldo? Think I recall that.
About 4 or 5 months before he signed. They beat them 4-2. In fact Queresma seemd to be linked quite a lot with United for weeks after that game, also before that game.

Ekeke

true at sporting. how manys he had at united though? ;)
When his contract is coming closer to its end we'll most likely see it. Why would we see it now? Unless a club comes in for him offering him huge wages - City, Madrid or Chelsea for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.