Gabriel Obertan | 2009/10 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redfighter

Officially gullible
At the secret training camp for United Militia
I believe that Ferguson has signed Obertan because he sees him as the closest thing to a young Ronaldo that there is. Think about it, all the attributes are there -

- pacy
- two-footed
- skillful, great dribbler
- has the physique to match; 186 cm and doesnt get knocked off the ball easily

On the downside, his finishing and decision making certainly need a lot of work.

I think the biggest factor which determines whether these talented youngsters fulfill their potential is their own mentality. At a club like United, they have all the facilities available to them - ample first team opportunities, the best training, playing alongside the best players, etc. Someone like Ronaldo, you could see the ambition, he really wanted to be the best in the world. Perhaps the same is not true for Nani. Lets hope it is for Obertan, because the raw attributes seem to be there.
That's exactly right. The lad has all the attributes needed, the question is over his desire and commitment to become a top player. Ronaldo has that personal drive, he obviously appreciated the input he was getting and learnt from it. Obertan needs to do the same and show that he has the mental maturity and discipline to take his abilities to the next level. He's got the best opportunity that any young player could have.

Incidentally I don't think Ronaldo was a great finisher and certainly not a great decision maker when he arrived at OT. Those are definitely aspects of Obertans game that will improve.

1211+subs

IMHO this boy has had more coverage in the press than M Owen..unbelievable- I sense another Bellion ( hope Iam wrong) not filled with optimism afraid..

mjs020294

This kid is very raw, a real work in progress. He has potential but I doubt he contributes much for a couple of seasons.

Moston Red

Formerly Giggs1973
That's exactly right. The lad has all the attributes needed, the question is over his desire and commitment to become a top player. Ronaldo has that personal drive, he obviously appreciated the input he was getting and learnt from it. Obertan needs to do the same and show that he has the mental maturity and discipline to take his abilities to the next level. He's got the best opportunity that any young player could have.

Incidentally I don't think Ronaldo was a great finisher and certainly not a great decision maker when he arrived at OT. Those are definitely aspects of Obertans game that will improve.
If he turns out to be half the player Ronaldo is then we've got ourselves a real bargain.

SAFrules

This kid is very raw, a real work in progress. He has potential but I doubt he contributes much for a couple of seasons.
For only £3 million I think we can wait a few seasons for him to develope, I also think SAF bought him in sooner than he wanted because he wasn't progressing enough at Bordaux.

Virtuoso

That's been posted 500 times in this thread. And I was getting my hopes up. :(
What's funny is that on youtube's list of "most viewed videos today" section, on the first page of 23 videos - every single one is from the Michael Jackson memorial apart from the 18th which is "Obertan - Man Utd Wing Wizard" (video posted above) with over 57,000 views which just goes to show how little people knew of him and how everyone wants to get the slightest glimpse.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
That video looks good but how much do we know about the quality of the opposition?

Mainoldo

What's funny is that on youtube's list of "most viewed videos today" section, on the first page of 23 videos - every single one is from the Michael Jackson memorial apart from the 18th which is "Obertan - Man Utd Wing Wizard" (video posted above) with over 57,000 views which just goes to show how little people knew of him and how everyone wants to get the slightest glimpse.
Or just how big United are!!!

lucius

what's the point of buying this guy.

fergie's got nani, who is still at a 'developmental' stage,
ne bought tocsic and his mate last year - players in a similar mode + a long way from being first team squad, yet alone first team regulars.
And now 2 more over the early part of the summer.
Why ?????
I know that ronaldo's gone, and scholes and giggs are reaching their 'use by' date, but there doesn't seem to be any pattern to fergie's buys.
Its beginning to feel a bit like 5/6 years ago when he acquired djemba djemba, kleberson, miller and bellion in rapid succession, and didn't know what to do with them - especially when it turned out that they were all shit.
I'd rather him buy just one player who's going to have 20 - 30 outings in a season rather than a gaggle of 'potential' starlets.
I think that owen's probably a better acquisition than any of the above.

jb8521

ne bought tocsic and his mate last year - players in a similar mode + a long way from being first team squad, yet alone first team regulars.
Why ?????
I know that ronaldo's gone, and scholes and giggs are reaching their 'use by' date, but there doesn't seem to be any pattern to fergie's buys.
Its beginning to feel a bit like 5/6 years ago when he acquired djemba djemba, kleberson, miller and bellion in rapid succession, and didn't know what to do with them - especially when it turned out that they were all shit.
I'd rather him buy just one player who's going to have 20 - 30 outings in a season rather than a gaggle of 'potential' starlets.
I would put money on Obertan playing at least 20 games this season he will be a brilliant impact player when other teams are tired

December_16

I'm getting really tired of people saying it's an Bellion, Djemba, Miller summer again. Piss off you negative bastards.
Let's face it, we've sign a British with such uninspirational name and a rapid Frenchie that is dubbed the new Henry. We're just short of a twins to make it uncanny. Fergie out!!!!

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?

Why ?????
You seem a bit stressed.

We have the best manager in the world. He's usually very good at making the right signing. He's also very good at moulding young players in was other people can't even imagine.

We're still favourites for the league. We're still big contenders for the Champions League.

Appreciate the success while it lasts, and appreciate all the work Sir Alex is putting in to make sure this club continues to be ridiculously successful after he leaves by having an excellent core of talented young players.

Chirag

Euro '08 League Winner
Here are 2 very well made Match caps by a friend from FBTZ.com..

I'm getting really tired of people saying it's an Bellion, Djemba, Miller summer again. Piss off you negative bastards.
I'm sure it's been mentioned before, but we signed Ronaldo that summer, so amongst some dross there was a real gem in there.

And something else on Obertan, I'm not sure it's been mentioned, from the little I've seen, he seems to have an incredible burst of speed, and can go past full backs for fun...but has very little end product.

Sounds a bit like Lennon, and I'm sure many would be happy for us to sign Aaron Lennon, the difference here is, Obertan is a few years younger and a lot of millions cheaper

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
I'm sure it's been mentioned before, but we signed Ronaldo that summer, so amongst some dross there was a real gem in there.

And something else on Obertan, I'm not sure it's been mentioned, from the little I've seen, he seems to have an incredible burst of speed, and can go past full backs for fun...but has very little end product.

Sounds a bit like Lennon, and I'm sure many would be happy for us to sign Aaron Lennon, the difference here is, Obertan is a few years younger and a lot of millions cheaper
Obertan is more talented than Lennon easily. Lennon has been a regular starter since age 17 and hasn't improved one bit for crying out loud...

jb8521

Obertan, Valencia and Owen will be officially unveiled at a press conference on Monday

SecondFig

True, but I'm also getting fed up with people saying "he has all the raw attributes of a young Ronaldo", "he's very Ronaldo-esque".

The odds of any player becoming as good as Ronaldo are minute, and if we obsess ourselves with finding the "next" Ronaldo we'll be wasting our time. We need (as a club) to just find talented players who want to play for United, and can adapt to the EPL and the United way of playing (whatever that is at that point). Trying to find the next Ronaldo, Keane, Cantona or Giggs is always going to be impossible - all we can do is find quality players - and hopefully Obertan can develop well under SAF's guidance

Ole_Gunnar

True, but I'm also getting fed up with people saying "he has all the raw attributes of a young Ronaldo", "he's very Ronaldo-esque".

The odds of any player becoming as good as Ronaldo are minute, and if we obsess ourselves with finding the "next" Ronaldo we'll be wasting our time. We need (as a club) to just find talented players who want to play for United, and can adapt to the EPL and the United way of playing (whatever that is at that point). Trying to find the next Ronaldo, Keane, Cantona or Giggs is always going to be impossible - all we can do is find quality players - and hopefully Obertan can develop well under SAF's guidance
Nothing wrong with pointing out qualities in his game that are redolent of Ronnie. I only really see the infrequent skills he does in the final third as Ronaldo-like, but then I think he's doing them to give him time to pick the final ball which is invariably the wrong one at this stage. However, If we can coach that final ball into him he'll be a very valuable player for us.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I dont know what you guys think about this, but if we really got Obertan for 3m then Bordeaux are stupid. I mean ok he is raw and reports say that he hasnt progressed as quickly as they hoped. Stating that selling a talented player who can play in various roles and who did so well against England U21 for 3m is pure madness. We are talking here about a player whom just 3 yeas ago was considered as one of the most promising players in Europe.

Now either there is something going on which we don't know or else we have done a very good bargain.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Could be something similar to the Van Persie deal, in that he has a few attitude or 'mental' problems that Blanc's just not able to sort out this early in his career.

I base this on very little, but still, it's an idea.

devilish

Could be something similar to the Van Persie deal, in that he has a few attitude or 'mental' problems that Blanc's just not able to sort out this early in his career.

I base this on very little, but still, it's an idea.
Fair enough.

Moston Red

Formerly Giggs1973
I dont know what you guys think about this, but if we really got Obertan for 3m then Bordeaux are stupid. I mean ok he is raw and reports say that he hasnt progressed as quickly as they hoped. Stating that selling a talented player who can play in various roles and who did so well against England U21 for 3m is pure madness. We are talking here about a player whom just 3 yeas ago was considered as one of the most promising players in Europe.

Now either there is something going on which we don't know or else we have done a very good bargain.
I am inclined to think he's a very good bargain. I doubt we would have bought him if he had problems. Maybe Bordeaux are one of these rare clubs that don't try and fleece every penny out of a transfer.

devilish

I am inclined to think he's a very good bargain. I doubt we would have bought him if he had problems. Maybe Bordeaux are one of these rare clubs that don't try and fleece every penny out of a transfer.
I doubt that these sort of clubs exist nowadays. Im more tend to believe that Blanc (or the club's negotiation team) did a mess out of this deal.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
If Obertan was that important to them they wouldn't have let him on loan to Lorient.
They have never needed him last season because right now he is just not good enough, that explains why he is so cheap.

Dresilved

Not sure why some of the negative stuff we've heard, this lad looks like he has some decent talent from these vids..... I'm encouraged and look forward to seeing him get a run out

Status
Not open for further replies.