Gabriel Obertan | 2010/11 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Decotron

Gabriel Obertan has hit the gym to prove he can be a Manchester United heavyweight,Youngster has embarked on new fitness regime...
By Matt Monaghan

Manchester United youngster Gabriel Obertan has hit the gym and eaten his green to prove he can be a Premier League heavyweight.

Obertan, 21, was brought to England as a skinny winger from Bordeaux last summer. Eager to hit the mark in the helter skelter top flight, the France youth international has embarked on a new fitness regime to build his strength and endurance.

Speaking to the Manchester Evening News, Obertan revealed how much extra work he had put in to impress manager Sir Alex Ferguson.

He said: “The English game is so much more physical and quicker. I was used to having time on the ball in France.

“I have become bigger physically in order to cope with it. I have been working out. I felt I needed to be stronger to face up to the contact.

“Gym work and the way I eat has given me better body strength. The nutritionist and the work in the gym has really helped me.

“I eat even more pasta now than ever. I never used to be fond of vegetables but now I eat a lot of them. I needed to eat more greens.

“It has helped put on extra muscle. We do a fat count and that hasn’t gone up but I am bigger so it must be all muscle I’ve added.

“I did boxing work and speed work in the gym as well. It has all made me better equipped to push myself forward at United.

“There are lot of players at the club and new players have arrived this summer.

“But the competition isn’t a problem for me. I will work harder and harder to make sure I am on the pitch.

“When the coach is ready to use me I will be ready.”

Rowem

gently, down the stream
Good to see signs of improvement from Obertan. He does seem to have a great attitude off the pitch too.

Scholesy

I think that article is a few months old, however here is one from today:

Gabriel Obertan has declared himself “ready and waiting to play” after making his first appearance of the season in United's 1-0 win over Bursaspor.

The Frenchman injected some extra pace and power into the proceedings after coming on in the 71st minute, and was unlucky not to score when his glancing header struck the outside of the near post.

“I need some games to get the rhythm back but I was happy with my performance,” Obertan told MUTV. “The team’s performance is more important than mine but I’m really happy to be back with the first-team squad.”

After signing from Bordeaux two summers ago, Obertan has quietly gone about his business at United, regularly impressing for the reserves and developing his game - a ploy that looks to be paying off. He seemed to carry a new-found strength and confidence during his brief cameo against Bursaspor, shrugging off the advances of Turkish defenders on more than one occasion, adding further evidence the youngster is ready to be a regular part of Sir Alex Ferguson's first-team plans.

“I am just waiting for more games now,” said Obertan. “I said to the coach I am ready so I’m just waiting for him to pick me.”

Despite the intense glare of the media spotlight, the winger said his team-mates were determined to return to winning ways after some disappointing draws.

“We were really focused on the game, the coach told us to really concentrate on the pitch,” he said. "The most important thing is to get through the group, and we’ve nearly done it.”

Obertan eyes opportunities - Manchester United Official Web Site

It would be nice for Fergie to be a little more adventurous and drop Park for Obertan.

Man-United

I much rather see Park than Obertan today. Just because Ober had a good finish to the game on wednesday doesn't mean he should start in a tough away game. Come on.

OneUnited24

We are AWAY to Stoke, a difficult fixture for any team. I think SAF will opt to go more for experience in the wind areas, although i would like to see him get a start in the PS

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
I say, start him today. Park has been in very poor form in this season, while Obertan in his cameo looked very positive. Also he has bulked up which means that he can cope up with the physicality of the Stoke Defenders.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I'd definitely start him over Park, who has quite frankly been pants this season so far. I'm sure he'll find some form again but at the moment I'd favour Obertan.

Man-United

And Obertan has been class all season? Awful in reserves and a good 20 minutes on wednesday suddenly he should start in this yough away game? Wow

ciderman9000000

I much rather see Park than Obertan today. Just because Ober had a good finish to the game on wednesday doesn't mean he should start in a tough away game. Come on.
yep, i really think Park has been dreadful so far we kinda risk nothing
My thoughts exactly; Park has been pretty ineffectual everytime i've seen him this season, so to play Park is a risk in itself; if he starts and plans as badly as he has been doing then we lose the left wing and alienate Evra again. Why not instead risk Obertan? He looked very hungry against Boraspur (spelling?), battled well, nearly scored a header except for a push in the back, and can switch wings with Nani, a tactic which i believe can be very effective for injecting pace and unpredictability into a game (what we've been lacking) and something which, though Park can play on the right, we never take advantage of with him on the field. Just give Obertan a go i say, what's the worse that could happen? Worse case scenario is he doesn't play well and we're in the same situation as we have been whenever Park's played this season; best case scenario though is he plays like he did on Wednesday and makes his proper first team break-through. A risk worth taking.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
He just needs games. The talent is there but there will be reasons why we've not rushed him into the team. We might be working on his mentality or something - which actually have been first class. He's a sound lad and his time will come i am sure.

ciderman9000000

Whether he starts or not, Obertan's likely to come on a some point; Park never plays 90mins and unless SAF wants to persevere with a CM on the left (which i think highly unlikely) then Obertan and Bebe are the only options to replace him. If Park starts and does nothing again then Obertan wont be far behind imo.

ciderman9000000

He just needs games. The talent is there but there will be reasons why we've not rushed him into the team. We might be working on his mentality or something - which actually have been first class. He's a sound lad and his time will come i am sure.
I agree. With Giggs out, Park playing badly and Obertan giving a very good showing midweek, i just think this is the perfect opportunity to give the lad a game. We need players to step up this season; perhaps he could be one of those who does.

Rowem

gently, down the stream
He does deserve a start ahead of Park even though he's not in the best of form. Plus I hope we don't see Anderson/Macheda/Hernandez wide left as it doesn't suit them at all.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I'd like to see as an impact player and not a starter.I don't think he's ready for that yet and we should know better being young and talented is not enough.When defenses are tires, he can wreak havoc

ciderman9000000

I'd like to see as an impact player and not a starter.I don't think he's ready for that yet and we should know better being young and talented is not enough.When defenses are tires, he can wreak havoc
I think this is most likely how it will go. If SAF decides instead to start him though i will be very pleased.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
I'm not convinced he has got poor decision-making. Whether he has or not he seems very aware of who is around him, and finds a man very easily, so the raw material for decision-making is right there.

I would start him today.

wr8_utd

:'(
He looks like a good and tidy player. Hope he plays the full game vs Wolves.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
Looks good so far this season now that he's bulked up. Still needs to do it on a cold winter's day at Blackburn.

Fletcher's Jilted Lover

He's the man!
With Giggs and Valencia out injured, and Park out of the team, you'd think it's his chance to shine, but Fergie still finds a way to leave him out of the starting line up.

Status
Not open for further replies.