Game 6: Poland vs Northern Ireland

Winrar

Poland vs Northern Ireland

Venue: Allianz Riviera
KO: 18:00 (local time), June 12​

ZAGREB RED

I hope Artur Boruc remembers to bring his earplugs. An iPod even.....

red_de_pologne

VERY nervous about this one, make or break, we are horrible at tournaments ususally, but our current team is the best we had for decades so very hard to make predictions, I will however go with Poland 2-1 Northern Ireland

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Will McNair be starting for Northern Ireland?

Interesting to see how Poland do also. Many have them touted as the 'dark horses' so let's see what they can deliver.

KennyBelfast2013

Nice ultras came into bars started the trouble and norn iron fans and polish fought the ultras

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
I hear Polish & NI fans have been drinking together and in fact have been attacked by locals. Perhaps it's true as it wouldn't be a thing for us to start fighting people (unless Russian).

Tomuś

That is why I don't want the Poles, The Northern Irish and the English to be put in the same bracket as those women and kids beating animals.

Tiber

Setting aside the fighting crap

I am so unbelievably happy that I get to watch my country play in a tournament for the first time in my lifetime tomorrow!

Tomuś

I'm well chuffed for NI and would like to see you go through along with Poland.

ArmandTamzarian

Supports
Liverpool
Setting aside the fighting crap

I am so unbelievably happy that I get to watch my country play in a tournament for the first time in my lifetime tomorrow!
It'll be weird watching us play with proper commentators/pundits n'all :lol:

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Northern Irish fans targeted in the Vieux Nice area

On an evening marred by violence in Marseille, it appears that Northern Ireland fans have been targeted by unidentified hooligans in the Vieux Nice area ahead of their EURO 2016 encounter with Poland.

The violence has been described by eyewitnesses as “coming out of nowhere”.

According to Nice Matin, 20 or so local Nicois came to the scene in a street in Saint-François-de-Paule that had been turned into open-air pub where Polish and Northern Irish fans were drinking heavily together.

These locals sang the French national anthem and then “Nissa la Bella,” in an attempt to goad the two sets of fans.

The violence broke out when a bottle was thrown at a Northern Ireland fan. This was quickly followed by chaos, with hundreds of people run in different directions. A window of a nearby business was broken and several tables were overturned. Several glass bottles were thrown in many directions.

Fans had been watching England vs Russia in bars in the Vieux Nice area.

Local reporters are describing the incident as an isolated one in what has been an otherwise very mild, jovial evening.

The image above is taken at the Cours Saleya and the CRS, French riot police, were quickly on the scene. The situation in its current state is not contained, but police have set out to track down the offenders.

Three minor injuries have been reported so far. As for the locals who perpetrated the attack, they ran away very quickly afterwards.

One arrest has been made so far – more to follow throughout the night on GFFN.

Ban

What's up with French ultras welcoming fans like this. First Marseille than Nice.

christy87

Supports
Dipping tea in toast
Its starting to become obvious that the french ultras are to blame for a lot of the trouble, it looks to me that they are instigating it, it quite easy to wind up drunk fans and get them fighting.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
Looking forward to seeing McNair in the holding role for NI.

Does Zielinski start for Poland?

Maciej

Known for "good moanings" not only in the morning
I can't wait anymore. It's a different feeling than four years ago when we had the tournament in our country. In 2012 we wanted our team to do well because we played at home, now we have a team that is capable of doing something special and getting the result. We have really good players playing well in good European clubs.

The worst thing is that really anything is possible...

Jerzol78

They are just not that Nice.

Probably yeah but he was atrocious against the Dutch so it's a bit of a worry.
I've read somewhere of the below setup. I think it's quite likely.

Szczęsny - Piszczek, Glik, Pazdan, Jędrzejczyk - Kapustka, Krychowiak, Mączyński, Błaszczykowski - Lewandowski, Milik.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
I think we'll hear that Will Grigg song a lot today. The lad must be buzzing, hearing his name sung by thousands of people, playing against the likes of Lewandowski, all whilst never having played higher than the third division. Awesome story.

SolskjaerHasDoneIt

Im not allowed to embed yet as I am a newbie, but seeing videos of our fans going wild with the Polish makes me even more hyped up for today!

Still cant believe Northern Ireland have made a major tournament in my lifetime :D

Keenst

Looking forward to this. Best of luck to the Northern Irish boys. Hoping against all odds both Irish teams can make it out of our groups.

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
Noticed Carl Frampton is over. Hope no local thugs start on him :D

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
The French ran away once the fighting started? How about that.
Euro 2016: Northern Ireland fans in ‘minor’ violence in Nice
PSNI officer in southern French city blames local troublemakers for inciting incident
about 5 hours ago Updated: about 3 hours ago
Gerry Moriarty

A Police Service of Northen Ireland officer with a gendarmerie in Nice, France. There was some minor overnight trouble in the city involving a small number of Northern Ireland fans ahead of the Group C game between the North and Poland at the Stade de Nice on Sunday evening. Photograph: Michael McHugh/PA Wire.

There was some minor overnight trouble in Nice involving a small number of Northern Ireland fans ahead of the Group C game between the North and Poland at the Stade de Nice on Sunday evening.

One Northern Ireland fan was arrested and five other fans and one Polish supporter were taken to hospital to be treated for minor injuries. A number of local French supporters who police said instigated the trouble also were arrested, it is understood.

PSNI Supt Nigel Goddard said that French troublemakers were responsible for the minor clash that briefly flared in the centre of Nice close to the fanzone on Saturday night. The incident happened at the Place Massena.

“It is disappointing that a small number of Northern Ireland fans responded but it was only a short and minor incident,” said Supt Goddard, who is a leading a group of PSNI officers in monitoring the behaviour of Northern Ireland fans.

“The Poles and Northern Irish were getting on exceptionally well, and that needs to be made clear. The trouble last night was not the slightest bit between Northern Irish and Polish supporters,” he told The Irish Times.

“What happened was a group of local football ultras, or football hooligans, about 20 or 30 of them, infiltrated the street area where Northern Irish and Polish supporters were having a great time,” explained Supt Goddard.

He said the French supporters made out “they were wanting to join in the fun but quite soon it became obvious that they were provoking for a fight”.

“They started throwing beer over the Northern Irish and Polish fans and that escalated to a little bit of pushing and then a bottle was thrown and disappointingly a small number of Northern Irish and Polish fans retaliated to that provocation,” he said.

“The actual incident was tiny instigated by the 30 or so locals,” he added. It was quite intense but the incident was short in duration.

It is understood that those brought to hospital had minor injuries such as cuts and bruising. It was expected that the Northern Ireland fan who was arrested will be released later today without charge.

Supt Goddard said the French police highly competent in dealing with the trouble and in “de-escalating the situation”.

Gary McAllister, chairman of the Amalgamation of Northern Ireland Supporters Clubs, said he was told that “local ultras attacked Polish and Northern Ireland fans who were mixing well”.

“French riot police dispersed locals,” he added.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-36510783

Carolina Red

Staff

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
My brother and father went to Nice (I couldn't because of a bloody wedding of my friend), got some pics and videos, seems like a top atmosphere between Irish and Polish fans.