Television Game of Thrones (TV) • The watch has ended

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
:lol: Such a tiring argument over a fecking TV show. There is a point beyond which it starts to become really geeky and sort of sad, lads, and I think that was couple of pages back.
Considering another thread I often post in in this entertainment forum is the WWE thread, I can't say I'm all that fussed about what other people percieve to be sad/geeky!

Seriously thuogh, it's a discussion about a show we all like, why wouldn't I and others want to partake in it? This in particular is also an insight into how different people watch the show... again, another topic of discussion.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
In Westeros, slavery is considered immoral. The reason Sir Jorah Mormont was exiled was due to him dealing in slaves to pay for his terrible wife's expensive tastes. He fled to escape punishment from Ned Stark.

I think her intentions were good with the sacking of the city, but it was also very pragmatic- she needed an army, the army needs food and she needs more wealth to gain more power and being strong will gain her a reputation as a strong leader.

If you were to assign her a morality, it would be chaotic good.
That's a fair point, but then, she's not in Westeros! The round-about point I'm trying to make is, we see the Slavers as bad because our real-world perception of slavery shapes it as such.

I agree that she's overall good, but I'd say she's got some dark side to her... more so then other characters in the world.

Moby

Dick
Considering another thread I often post in in this entertainment forum is the WWE thread, I can't say I'm all that fussed about what other people percieve to be sad/geeky!

Seriously thuogh, it's a discussion about a show we all like, why wouldn't I and others want to partake in it? This in particular is also an insight into how different people watch the show... again, another topic of discussion.
I don't see much point in going on and on whining about a character written for a particular plot. What you are saying will make is different, but it doesn't mean it is better or worse. That is meaningless as long as we are talking about someone's imagination, which is how the script of this show took birth. It wasn't supposed to blend in with your or mine imagination, instead it was supposed to convey how the author imagined the world int he script to be and how he thought people will react to situations in "his" world. In my opinion there is no point in telling each other that a particular action from someone was wrong or right, as there is no wrong or right here.

Jimy_Hills_Chin

Desperately wants to be ITK
I agree that she's overall good, but I'd say she's got some dark side to her... more so then other characters in the world.
Well she is the blood of the dragon. She believes that she belongs on the Iron Throne. She is doing what she perceives to be her right by way of birth. I am not sure that she is 'dark' in the context of her world, it is more that she is strong.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
I don't see much point in going on and on whining about a character written for a particular plot. What you are saying will make is different, but it doesn't mean it is better or worse. That is meaningless as long as we are talking about someone's imagination, which is how the script of this show took birth. It wasn't supposed to blend in with your or mine imagination, instead it was supposed to convey how the author imagined the world int he script to be and how he thought people will react to situations in "his" world. In my opinion there is no point in telling each other that a particular action from someone was wrong or right, as there is no wrong or right here.
Me and Jimmy are having a discussion about the show and our differing opinions. He doesn't seem too put out by it, neither of us are getting annoyed or "whiny"... Not sure why you're so bothered by it.

Also, that bit in bold is a bit daft. You could make that same point for loads of discussions on this forum (Whats the best league in the world?) ... it's all about sharing differing opinions/readings of things... that's sort of the point.

Moby

Dick
You sort of missed the point there. Someone created this scenario out of his imagination, so to call anyone as right or wrong, fair/just, whatever, basically judge anyone, you need a reference point, basically define what right or wrong is. For example, earlier someone mentioned about incest, while from our point of view molded by the society we have grown up in, it is despicable. But clearly in the world of Game Of Thrones, since we have seen people highly respected by the society practicing it, it doesn't remain as something wrong anymore. It applies to everything, get the drift?

Annihilate Now!

Scout
Not really... are you saying that the only reading applicable to this world is the one that George R Martin has in his head? Because I certainly disagree with that...

Otherwise I'd say you're agreeing with what I'm saying. To call anything right/wrong in this world you need a reference point... for me, the reference point is my own ideologies into what I percieve to be right and wrong. That perception formulates how I watch the show, which characters I root for and which I root against.

Moby

Dick
Not really... are you saying that the only reading applicable to this world is the one that George R Martin has in his head? Because I certainly disagree with that...

Otherwise I'd say you're agreeing with what I'm saying. To call anything right/wrong in this world you need a reference point... for me, the reference point is my own ideologies into what I percieve to be right and wrong. That perception formulates how I watch the show, which characters I root for and which I root against.
I don't see sense in rooting for or against anyone here. Its a war and there are no heroes in a war.

Moby

Dick
It had more to do with tirelessly arguing over why someone said a dialogue and how it makes him unjust and what not, which was pretty hilarious to be fair.

Bross

Noggie Pez Dispenser
Chillin with Giggsy at the Retardment Castle
What do you enjoy about watching game of thrones, Aldo?

I dont see how you can get emotionally involved if as you say, you dont root for anyone. For me, getting emotionally involved with the characters is most the thrill with the show and indeed all of television drama, because my feelings for the characters gives meaning to events and creates suspense. If you dont care what happens or who "wins" then there is no suspense.

Moby

Dick
I root for someone simply because I like them all round, as the actor, their character appeal, etc, like in any other TV show, not because I judge them on their actions written by the author.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
Cant wait for this weekend's episode. So many things to look forward to. Jamie Lannister and where he will end up, what Robb Stark will do once he finds out about Jamie, Khaleesi and her army and I really hope the white walkers make an appearance.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
This white walker stuff is a little bit naughty actually.

That was what got me hooked in the first place and then bugger all for ages.

They just drop it in from time to time and obviously it's building to something but what are they doing in between all these massacres that they keep perpetrating? Sitting around with their thumbs up their arses? I swear they were at the wall at the end of season 2 but again, 3 episodes in and no sign of them. Apart from that horse massacre....which to be fair could have just been the work of a lunatic.

Zen86

This white walker stuff is a little bit naughty actually.

That was what got me hooked in the first place and then bugger all for ages.

They just drop it in from time to time and obviously it's building to something but what are they doing in between all these massacres that they keep perpetrating? Sitting around with their thumbs up their arses? I swear they were at the wall at the end of season 2 but again, 3 episodes in and no sign of them. Apart from that horse massacre....which to be fair could have just been the work of a lunatic.
I think the whitewalkers are just lurking around building up their strength at the moment. When winter comes shits gon' get real.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
It sounds like she's saying "Onion knight".
She is. I think this was explained in the first season. In case it wasn't, I'll spoiler the explanation.

During Robert's Rebellion, Stannis was in charge of holding Storm's End(the Baratheon house seat) against the King's army. After they ran out of food, Davos(who was a smuggler) broke the siege and blockade by sneaking through to the cave where he took Melissandre when she had her shadow baby. He brought them onions and other food. After the battle, Stannis knighted him and cut off the tips of his fingers on his left hand for smuggling. Since, he has been called the Onion Knight as a pejorative since he was a peasant.

PhilipB

got third place in a Juan Mata lookalike contest
Last week, I either ran over a sheep or ran over a
HA! Way to go, Philip! Why are you such a fecking idiot, gosh!
You didn't know it either or else you would have mentioned it!

And I knew she was saying "onion knight" but I thought, that's retarded, why is she calling him an onion so I dismissed the idea and went back to pondering her scaly face.

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me
You didn't know it either or else you would have mentioned it!

And I knew she was saying "onion knight" but I thought, that's retarded, why is she calling him an onion so I dismissed the idea and went back to pondering her scaly face.
I was busy masturbating to that sex scene, what are you doing with your life?

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me
I'm not quite sure. I have a statistics test and short answers examination in the morning yet I'm reading a post on an internet forum about a stranger masturbating.
Wow. And here I thought we were at least e-acquaintances.

I'm going to cry now and I'll probably mix in another wank over Rose Leslie for good measure.