Gaming Gaming RedCafe's Greatest Video Games Of All Time Contest (FINAL ROUND)

Bosws87

I honestly think it's because there are more casual gamers than connoisseurs so when certain people see things like TLOU or PES make it ahead of Chrono Trigger or Dark Souls, they get triggered.

This is why an audience/democratic vote will always vary widely from a critical vote done by a panel of gaming experts.

My mistake was to use the word "greatest" in place of "favourite" in the original title. That would have changed things probably. Or maybe not...
I’d say that’s spot on.

I’m defo in the elitist group and it does infuriate me seeing cods and Ubisoft open world games finishing above a Shadow of the Colossus or Ico.

Similar pain I get watching my old man play games he loves them but damn is it painful.

SuperiorXI

There are people saying not to have more than one title per franchise. Then there are FF and Zelda nerds who'd have 5 of each in their top 50.

Can't please everyone. :lol:

(DO NOT start a which FF is the best FF on the back of this comment Should go without saying but I know what some on here are like,)
You're right, it's undoubtedly 7.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
By the way. I will take a break after this is all said and done but then look to setup another contest.

Would people prefer to vote between two contests I have in mind or shall I just go with one and do the other later?

Siorac

1. Knights of the Old Republic
2. The Witcher 3
3. Bloodborne
4. Age of Empires 2
5. Deus Ex
6. Mass Effect
7. Hades
8. Football Manager
9. God of War
10. Half-Life

Brocky

1. Metal Gear Solid
  2. The Witcher 3
  3. Red Dead Redemption
  4. Rome: Total War
  5. The Last of Us
  6. God of War
  7. GTA: San Andreas
  8. Street Fighter 2
  9. Deus Ex
  10. Super Mario Bros 3

Revan

Assumptionman
FF7 is gonna get only the silver medal but it is still amazing how a game released 25 years ago is still rated so highly.

Bosws87

FF7 is gonna get only the silver medal but it is still amazing how a game released 25 years ago is still rated so highly.
One of a very small handful of games you can go back to no matter how long its been and it still plays great apart from the obvious graphics of the character models the game hasn't aged terrible like a lot of others.

There's something great about the massive .jpg created environments, RPG's are one of the few games which have probably got worse the better technology has got. The polish and level of detail expected in top games now makes achieving the worlds and stories we used to have in RPG's a near impossible task apart from an exceptional few.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
The top 3 are VERY close and a few more votes can really change things. It's very tight.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Let it out BOY!
Unfortunately I've nothing intelligent to say but I thought the story was dull - wow, man changes as he ages - and the combat bored me to tears.

The crafting system added little and it had one of the worst designed menus I've seen in any recent AAA game. Seriously bad.

I gather it's a difference of opinion but I'd genuinely love to know why people found it thought-provoking - which I gather is why it got so much love.

Also, the boy is very annoying. It doesn't need characters talking every 5 seconds. I absolutely hate that trend.

Puts flameshield up, as they used to say.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Deus Ex came out 3 years later and is the best game I've played. But it doesn't have the same hype train as FF7.

Revan

Assumptionman
Deus Ex came out 3 years later and is the best game I've played. But it doesn't have the same hype train as FF7.
Deus Ex has a massive hype too and is often called the best PC game of all time (which i also tend to agree).

I think fewer people have played it than FF cause not many people had computers to play games, compared to Playstation back then.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Deus Ex has a massive hype too and is often called the best PC game of all time (which i also tend to agree).

I think fewer people have played it than FF cause not many people had computers to play games, compared to Playstation back then.
Yeah but I consider Deus Ex far better and I bet it won't be in the top 3.

Moby

Dick
of the worst designed menus I've seen
I know we all have discussed things which are debatable but this isn't.

My controller got the drift while I was playing this and I just wanted to find the fecking moron who thought it would be a good idea to move around the upgrades using the joystick. :mad:

Revan

Assumptionman
Yeah but I consider Deus Ex far better and I bet it won't be in the top 3.
But you don't like JRPGs, actually didn't know that you have played FF7.

I think Deus Ex is gonna be in the mix of top 5. Personally, I have both of them in my top 6, together with FF6, Kotor, The Witcher, and Ocarina of Time. Wouldn't know which is the best of them lot.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
I really have an itch to move Bloodborne to the first place just in case it stands a chance but I'm not gonna be blasphemous and nominate a game not called Mario as the greatest ever.
Yeah let's keep things professional and not tactically vote!

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Unfortunately I've nothing intelligent to say but I thought the story was dull - wow, man changes as he ages - and the combat bored me to tears.

The crafting system added little and it had one of the worst designed menus I've seen in any recent AAA game. Seriously bad.

I gather it's a difference of opinion but I'd genuinely love to know why people found it thought-provoking - which I gather is why it got so much love.

Also, the boy is very annoying. It doesn't need characters talking every 5 seconds. I absolutely hate that trend.

Moby

Dick
Yeah let's keep things professional and not tactically vote!
Easy for you to say given it isn't Alex Kidd in the running. :D

I kinda feel a bit weird by having the same franchise twice in top 3 but both of them and even SMW are easily among the greatest games ever. Ideally I should put Witcher instead of one of them.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Easy for you to say given it isn't Alex Kidd in the running. :D

I kinda feel a bit weird by having the same franchise twice in top 3 but both of them and even SMW are easily among the greatest games ever. Ideally I should put Witcher instead of one of them.
There's nothing easy about seeing my boy Alex Kidd struggle at the bottom... He shouldn't have even been here. Reminds me of Bebe :lol:

Should've had people submit their lists via PM. Party poopers in here ruining the big reveal for everyone else.
I just thought people here are too thick to count :D

Bosws87

The lack of votes for RDR in the final gives me some faith, not everyone is blinded by flashy graphics and story telling with little actual gameplay and the gameplay that is required uses little or no skill at all!

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Everyday I try to hold my tongue on the inclusion of God of War.

I wonder if today will be the day I finally explode.
Try not to explode dude, it's messy and a pretty pointless endeavour. However, and I speak as a massive fan of GOW (10/10 game for me and I've rinsed it clean), GOW shouldn't be in that top ten GOAT list. I've put it at 5 but only because I prefer that to the games i rated lower. I'm a bit disappointed with how the list is shaping up :( my all time top ten would be looking very different.

I disagree with a lot of the criticism fired at the game though ...
Misery guts :lol: I love the story and the pacing of it. I love the 'man changes as he ages' story, it resonates with me as a parent and old man. It was a more mature experience than the previous iterations and, for me, it worked perfectly. And what about the combat bored you? I thought it was smooth, had a good variety of moves and threw up enough of a challenge to keep me interested. I do think there could have been some harder fights but the overall quality of the combat I thought was excellent and I think they kept the spirit of the previous games fully intact.
The crafting system could maybe have been more complex but it was an advancement on the previous games and I didn't think it was bad enough to criticise, only maybe wish for a bit more.
I didn't really find it thought provoking, I just loved the quality of visuals, gameplay and sound. I enjoyed the feeling of going on a journey with them both. Yeah, some of it was clunky but nowhere near bad enough to get criticized. I've said before, if only all games were made with such care.
Yeah, the boy is annoying but aren't children meant to be annoying? I thought the story and voicing was very good. Done well, voice acting can be a very positive tool in a game,
*Throws snowball at Vidyoyo