Gareth Bale is...The most expensive player ever?!

Hectic

Supports
30fps
It depends on what way you're talking about this. He may not have surpassed Giggs yet throughout his whole career, but he's certainly a better player than him at the moment.
:lol:

Should Bale expect anything less? Considering he is 22, and Giggs is 38, and doesn't really play so much as a winger...

Varun

Staff
Its just comparisons like these that irritate me and result in quite a few underrating him imo. He has not done anything yet to be classed in the same bracket as the likes of messi, best, giggsy etc.

A very good young player, a lot of talent and we'd be wanking over him had he been at united. Has undoubted potential and might go on to become a really top player. At the moment, he's close to valencia in terms of quality and what they offer on the pitch.

Hectic

Supports
30fps
Never mind yet, he will never do anything to be in the same bracket as Messi, Best etc.

As talented as he is, and as much potential as he has, he does not possess the quality of those players, and never will. It's not really a criticism, given the majority of footballers playing now or before are the same.

antihenry

CAF GRU Rep
:lol:

Should Bale expect anything less? Considering he is 22, and Giggs is 38, and doesn't really play so much as a winger...
To me, the best thing about Bale is his age. People criticizing him don't often realize how young he still is. If he continues to improve, he'll be a phenomenal player.

Hectic

Supports
30fps
I accept that, and that I've probably been harsher on his development than a lot of people, and that I was most likely wrong about how good he will become, or at least my earlier predictions were certainly premature. But even including his age, his ability has a limit that will not reach the very highest levels, similar to how we can say Wayne for instance will never be on the same level as the two freaks.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Why on earth does every talented footballer have to be compared to the "two freaks"?

Surely the fact they can be described in such terms means they should never be used as a yard-stick for a young footballer's potential?

It's the equivalent of discussing a young striker and saying the media are talking him up too much because he probably won't be as good as Pele. It's a crazy way to judge talent.

Edmeiste

I accept that, and that I've probably been harsher on his development than a lot of people, and that I was most likely wrong about how good he will become, or at least my earlier predictions were certainly premature. But even including his age, his ability has a limit that will not reach the very highest levels, similar to how we can say Wayne for instance will never be on the same level as the two freaks.
For me, hectic, I see a very good player in the making but top class?

Purely premature to me. I think that's more out of sentiment than anything. I say that based on the comments I've seen on here.

Ray Peterson

Reserve Team Player
Why on earth does every talented footballer have to be compared to the "two freaks"?

Surely the fact they can be described in such terms means they should never be used as a yard-stick for a young footballer's potential?
Very true. There are very talented footballers out there that are discussed almost dismissively because they're not as good as the two best players in the world!

Varun

Staff
Are you sure about that? I think Bale is a better player than Antonio Valencia.
Pretty similar players in terms of what they offer for me. Great pace, beat their man based on their pace rather than great dribbling ability, good crossers of the ball. One footed players which makes them predictable but consistent performers. Very good players but unlikely to ever be among the top players in the world.

That said, bale is very young and can definitely become the much better player. At the moment, not much between them for me.

Plan M

Pretty similar players in terms of what they offer for me. Great pace, beat their man based on their pace rather than great dribbling ability, good crossers of the ball. One footed players which makes them predictable but consistent performers. Very good players but unlikely to ever be among the top players in the world.

That said, bale is very young and can definitely become the much better player. At the moment, not much between them for me.
I'm sorry but I disagree - Bale is a better player than Valencia and will only get better. He scores more goals for a start and carries Spurs at times. Valencia is a good player and "does a job" but he's not on the same level as Bale.

All my opinion of course :)

Edmeiste

It's the equivalent of discussing a young striker and saying the media are talking him up too much because he probably won't be as good as Pele. It's a crazy way to judge talent.
A part of me thinks if you can consider it even judging talent. I mean comparing Bale to probably the two best players we'll ever see in our time is mind boggling. It makes no sense. They are on a level on their own and I can guarantee Bale will not reach that level. He doesn't have the tools.

Instead of dissecting aspects of his game, we talk about how he measures up to players like Giggs? Madness. To even suggest he's on Giggsy's level is madness. What ryan was doing at that age was something else. Sorry to Bale fans but you need to rewatch clips of our Welsh wizard and consider revising your views.

Edmeiste

I'm sorry but I disagree - Bale is a better player than Valencia and will only get better. He scores more goals for a start and carries Spurs at times. Valencia is a good player and "does a job" but he's not on the same level as Bale.

I think Valencia does more than just a job. His 6 assists recently whilst being deployed both at RB and RW should spell that out clearly for you.

Plan M

I think Valencia does more than just a job. His 6 assists recently whilst being deployed both at RB and RW should spell that out clearly for you.
Don't get so defensive! I said that I think Valencia is a good player, didn't I? He's just not as exciting and explosive as Bale - he's simply not as good a player either in my opinion.

Varun

Staff

Potentially the better player, ofcourse. I said so myself. they are already at a similar level for me and bale has a massive age advantage. Will most probably end up the better player.

Currently, i dont agree that bale is the better player though. Not much in it in terms of goal threat for me, both of them will never score many goals because of their style of play. Both are very good at fashioning chances though and it'd be unfair to say that valencia just "does a job" whereas bale offers more than that. Both of them actively seek to create chances from out wide for their respective teams.

Edmeiste

Don't get so defensive! I said that I think Valencia is a good player, didn't I? He's just not as exciting and explosive as Bale - he's simply not as good a player either in my opinion.
Haha. Defensive? Good lord. I really dont see much difference between Bale and Valencia. Not sure what you mean by exciting. Is that because he doesn't smile much?

Explosive? Hmm. What about his performance at OT against Chelsea last season? Also his recent return to form has shown some of that explosiveness as well. I dont think this comes down to who is a better player but more so who you prefer which you continually hint at.

Plan M

Haha. Defensive? Good lord. I really dont see much difference between Bale and Valencia. Not sure what you mean by exciting. Is that because he doesn't smile much?

Explosive? Hmm. What about his performance at OT against Chelsea last season? Also his recent return to form has shown some of that explosiveness as well. I dont think this comes down to who is a better player but more so who you prefer which you continually hint at.
So we're resorting to digging out individual fixtures now are we? Oh dear.

I'll put it this way: If we had neither Valencia or Bale playing for United and someone said to me "You can have ONE of the players, which one will it be?" I'd choose Gareth Bale each and every time.

Nani and Giggsy are better players than Bale. But I'm sorry, Valencia just isn't in my opinion.

Hectic

Supports
30fps

I'm supposing this is aimed at me? I'm not comparing him to them, and haven't, in fact, I actually referenced Wayne in that comparison, not Gareth Bale. The reason they even popped up was because it was an extension of the posts discussing the article comparing him to George Best, which I thought was retarded.

Plan M

I agree that Bale is better. That isnt a slight on Valencia, who is a very good player.
Exactly and we're very lucky that we've got so many options on the wings. Look at Arsenal for example - have they got ONE "proper" winger? Walcott is a striker playing on the wing. Is Gervinho a "proper" winger? Or does he prefer to play behind the striker?

cj_sparky

I think Bale is a quality player at what he does. Still think that if you get into him quick and stay tight. That you pretty much nullify his threat.

He is very predictable, that is why he isn't and won't be up there with Messi and Ronaldo. I'm fed up with British Media comparing him with them. Same way Sky saying that Spurs where Barcesque after beating Norwich was puke worthy. It was Norwich FFS.

Edmeiste

So we're resorting to digging out individual fixtures now are we? Oh dear.

I'll put it this way: If we had neither Valencia or Bale playing for United and someone said to me "You can have ONE of the players, which one will it be?" I'd choose Gareth Bale each and every time.

Nani and Giggsy are better players than Bale. But I'm sorry, Valencia just isn't in my opinion.
Fair enough and I'm saying in my opinion that Bale and Valencia are very similar players and neither have shown enough to say who is better. It's down to a matter of preference. You can say Bale scores more but Valencia assists more. What's more important? You tell me

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
I think Bale is a quality player at what he does. Still think that if you get into him quick and stay tight. That you pretty much nullify his threat. ...
Except that he is now developing and extending his game to be able to play pretty much anywhere across the attacking midfield, left, right and centre.

This was shown most recently in the Norwich game, and I expect we'll see more of it ... especially in matches where playing with the defensive security of both Sandro and Parker in CM (not to mention Modric) gives Bale much more licence to roam free as he pleases.

Edmeiste

I think Bale is a quality player at what he does. Still think that if you get into him quick and stay tight. That you pretty much nullify his threat.

He is very predictable, that is why he isn't and won't be up there with Messi and Ronaldo. I'm fed up with British Media comparing him with them. Same way Sky saying that Spurs where Barcesque after beating Norwich was puke worthy. It was Norwich FFS.
This. When Rafael played against him, he played him tight and Bale was invisible that whole game except for one moment when he got a break. It's partly why it's hard for me to say who is better. They have very similar attributes. They're old-fashioned wingers and defenders hate that.

Moonwalker

I really envy people on their clairvoyance regarding how good he will 'never' become or not become.

Being so dismissive about someone so young, I just don't get it. Not every player develops in the same way. Some peak early, some peak late, and some show steady progress throughout their career. I wish I could say that in my long time of watching football I have acquired the ability to tell which player is which in that regard, from the moment I see them, but I'd be lying if I did.

Is Bale an early bloomer that will shine early and then quickly proceed to oblivion, or is he special talent that will continue to improve year on year, and well into his 30ies? feck knows. All I can say is that I can remember players who are now(rightly) considered legendary, that weren't as good as Bale is now at that age. Considering that fact, other than pure malice I really don't see why we should assume anything about his future, speaking in absolutes and categorical dismissals.

I think he's a fantastic player. Perhaps I wouldn't go as far as Capello in praising him, or some of the recent articles, but it's funny, whenever I hear or read one of those undoubtedly exaggerated compliments about him, it doesn't cause an enormous allergic reaction, that then prompts me to write even worse drivel on here, as some sort of counter point, designed to 'balance things out'.

Best or Gento he may never be, but it should be pretty obvious by now that he isn't a brainless kick an run merchant and an over-hyped one match wonder, that he's been described as so often here, either.

Hectic

Supports
30fps
So you envy people on their clairboyance regarding how good he can never be, but end the post with saying 'Best or Gento he may never be'. What exactly is the difference?

towcester_red

Bale is like Valencia's mirror image, the same player but a lefty rather than a righty.
Bale can play through the middle. Valencia hugs the touchline, either at the back or on the wing.

You wouldnt see Valencia score a goal like Bales second the other night, no way.

Again no a dig at Valencia, just Bales better imo.

Ray Peterson

Reserve Team Player
Where is this being said?
I've often seen players being discussed both here and on the internet in general when somebody will pop up and say "Well Messi was much better at the same age etc" Or a decent young player will arrive on the scene and will immediately start getting compared to Messi or Ronaldo because they can dribble or score a few goals. From memory, I think Marin and Bojan got the "Next Messi?" treatment on here.

Liam147

On Probation
Although they're both good players, and they're very good at what they do, they're both a little one-dimensional at times. Whereas Nani's very unpredictable, and could go either side and shoot or cross, you're always expecting that dash down the touchline and a cross from those two.

The reason Bale seems to stand out more is his rise from that shit Spurs player who hasn't won a game to their best player in the end of the 09-10 season. He carried his form into the season after, and had some really eye-catching things, like his performances against Inter, and his volley against Stoke.

You never see that from Valencia. Yes he was excellent against Cole last season, and made him look quite amateurish, but if you found a player quick enough, both could be kept fairly quiet. I'm yet to see Bale have a good game against us. Rafael kept him in his pocket at OT last season.

Hectic

Supports
30fps
I've often seen players being discussed both here and on the internet in general when somebody will pop up and say "Well Messi was much better at the same age etc" Or a decent young player will arrive on the scene and will immediately start getting compared to Messi or Ronaldo because they can dribble or score a few goals. From memory, I think Marin and Bojan got the "Next Messi?" treatment on here.
Fair enough, I thought you mean't a specific case in here, not a general one, and in fairness you are right, I've seen that a lot.

Moonwalker

So you envy people on their clairboyance regarding how good he can never be, but end the post with saying 'Best or Gento he may never be'. What exactly is the difference?
Should I now provide a link to Merriam Webster on the word 'maybe'?

Uncertainty is the key difference, obviously. I'm willing to acknowledge the(quite likely) possibility of him never becoming as good as some of the players mentioned, in which event there would still be nothing for him to be ashamed of.

You on the other hand leave no room for possibilities. You already know, that he will never...

Well that's quite an admirable insight you have there, that I can only envy you on.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Bale is like Valencia's mirror image, the same player but a lefty rather than a righty.
I actually don't think they're that similar. Of course, they're both wingers, so there are similarities, but their are major differences in the game of each player as well. Valencia isn't the sort of player who will ever go out and completely rip apart a top quality opponent, like Bale did against Valencia, while Bale isn't the sort of player who will consistently do a good job of simply crossing and providing, which Valencia can do very well.

The Neviller

He's a good player, but not as good as the talk suggests. Seen an article by James Lawton in The Independent where it's suggested he is "arguably the most exciting football player bred in these islands since George Best". It isn't arguable at all, he most definitely isn't the most exciting player bred in these islands since George Best.

And the fact that he is even sharing column inches with Best is a complete and fecking utter travesty.

SATA

I suspect some of you here would say exactly the opposite if Bale's English. The hype he is getting (and deservedly so) is the same as England's Jack Wilshere, Tom Cleverley and Phil Jones have been getting at their young age in the media as well. It's abit strange that these same lot continue to deny his talent when it's all there for us to see and he's not even yet the finished article