Gareth Bale is...The most expensive player ever?!

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
It's one of the most ridiculous moves imaginable. Now let's see if it really sets off a transfer frenzy...it won't, but I want to see Jim White cream himself into a different galaxy.

Cina

Isco's better than Bale and he cost them a quarter of the price, you think after getting him they'd have had a bit of cop-on but no, not Real.

Cina

Did we find an unlimited source of oil, gold and diamonds under the Bernabeu or something?
With sales this Summer your net spend was basically zero, until now, right?

To be fair, selling Ozil and Di Maria will probably net you around 60-70m. Thing is, I'd rather both of them in my team than Bale :)

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I know that a contingent of money in football comes from the fans but 300k a week to me is pretty 'sickening' for want of a better word. A wage cap should be introduced as that is just wrong.

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
How is this being viewed in Spain, especially with all the financial problems the country has faced recently?

Vato

Watches other men wank.Supports Real.Coincidence?
Supports
Real Madrid
You're just spending the Ronaldo money.
:lol:
With sales this Summer your net spend was basically zero, until now, right?

To be fair, selling Ozil and Di Maria will probably net you around 60-70m. Thing is, I'd rather both of them in my team than Bale :)
Di Maria isn't going anywhere though[/Glaston], on the other hand, Ozil looks as good as gone.

Vato

Supports
Real Madrid
I know that a contingent of money in football comes from the fans but 300k a week to me is pretty 'sickening' for want of a better word. A wage cap should be introduced as that is just wrong.
To be completely honest, 200k a week is just as bad. Football went nuts a while ago, not just today.

marjen

Desperately wants to be like Noodle
To be completely honest, 200k a week is just as bad. Football went nuts a while ago, not just today.
Trying to disregard the transfer fee and sickening wages - what do you honestly make of this Bale-thing from a sporting perspective?

Ask me to rank him amongst the attacking techno-midgets and Ronaldo of Real, and I'd say he's pretty much a poorer player than all of Özil, Ronaldo, Modric and Isco, and better than Di Maria. I mean, he just isn't that good.

Vato

Supports
Real Madrid
How is this being viewed in Spain, especially with all the financial problems the country has faced recently?
I suspect there will be some serious uproar, especially from people who don't watch the game.
Is that more than what Ronaldo makes?
For now yes, but wait till he signs his new 5 year deal. :drool:

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton

Very much so, but this is taking it to another level imo. IIRC Young is another player who is on wages way higher than his level but i wouldn't even think it was right to pay Messi 300k let alone Bale. It's just going to get crazier until someone steps in and changes the rules again.

Vato

Supports
Real Madrid
Trying to disregard the transfer fee and sickening wages - what do you honestly make of this Bale-thing from a sporting perspective?

Ask me to rank him amongst the attacking techno-midgets and Ronaldo of Real, and I'd say he's pretty much a poorer player than all of Özil, Ronaldo, Modric and Isco, and better than Di Maria. I mean, he just isn't that good.
Dunno man, I've not seen him play that much yet to form an opinion. I hope I won't agree with you next summer though.

QuackQuack

Handy with candles and exhausts
Very much so, but this is taking it to another level imo. IIRC Young is another player who is on wages way higher than his level but i wouldn't even think it was right to pay Messi 300k let alone Bale. It's just going to get crazier until someone steps in and changes the rules again.
It won't be long til clubs can't afford to keep up with the inflation of wage.

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
The risk factor in this deal is immense.

What are the odds on him getting injured long term a few games in?

marjen

Desperately wants to be like Noodle
The risk factor in this deal is immense.

What are the odds on him getting injured long term a few games in?
Not so big as the risk that he'll turn out a £30 million player - which he is.

He'll score about 25 goals next season and provide less than 10 assists, plus he'll distrupt their system. My honest prediction.

Vato

Supports
Real Madrid
Have there been any reports that he is close to signing a new deal in Spain?
There have been a while back, apparently a new deal would make him the best paid player in world football.

If this is true though we'd have 2 players on 300k a week, which would be fecking madness.

SuecoGitano

Disgusting amounts of money...

Its not much worse than other transfers though. compared to Neymar for example, the difference after 6 years (fee and wages) is less than 10mEuro....and then MAdrid 'owns' 40% of the image/marketing rights, while BArca own 0% of Neymars. This is how MAdrid for example have made quite a lot of money on Ronaldo. I believe MAdrid own between 60-40% of his image rights as well.

...but its sick no matter what

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
Not so big as the risk that he'll turn out a £30 million player - which he is.

He'll score about 25 goals next season and provide less than 10 assists, plus he'll distrupt their system. My honest prediction.
That will happen in any case. It would just be a bit funnier if he was sitting on the sidelines and getting paid that amount.

SuecoGitano

There have been a while back, apparently a new deal would make him the best paid player in world football.

If this is true though we'd have 2 players on 300k a week, which would be fecking madness.

The latest rumours is Florentino has been waiting for the Bale deal to then announce Ronnies renewal...simply to fill Ronnies ego and show the world he is the best paid.

Messi and Neymar earn more than Bale.

QuackQuack

Handy with candles and exhausts

I am sure Ronaldo's ego would want him to be earning more than Bale. How much would that be annually?

Agent Red

I'm just surprised at how high they are, aside from any discomfort I feel at the amount itself.

It's not like Bale was going to reject Madrid. He's been desperate for the move and pushing for it all he can at his end. If Levy accepted the bid it's not like Bale was going to turn round and say no to a contract in the £150,000-£250,000 p/w range. Fine maybe he could have gone to PSG or wherever but that is a step down from RM.

I'm pretty ignorant as to the role of the agents in all of this but I can't see how this figure was arrived at given that Real knew Bale wanted the move badly and that they were the only club willing to meet Levy's evaluation.

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
I am sure Ronaldo's ego would want him to be earning more than Bale. How much would that be annually?
I wouldn't even worry about it. I doubt Ronnie cares because at the end of the day, he's still the main man and the Real Madrid players will still be looking to pass to him

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
I don't think he'll fail. He's got the ability to do well in any team and with RM he'll be playing with superstars. He's just not worth that sort of money.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Will Bale come up with the equivalent of Neymar's quote (I came here to help the best player in the world) ? Or will he start to believe the hype and say he'll wanna become the best player in the world ?

binary bot
Probably won't flop but you can't maximize the potential of Bale to the standard of that fee while having Ronaldo in the team.

That'sHernandez

Will Bale come up with the equivalent of Neymar's quote (I came here to help the best player in the world) ? Or will he start to believe the hype and say he'll wanna become the best player in the world ?
What's wrong if he says the latter? You can't really fault his desire to be the best player in the world when you look at the bar already set by Ronaldo. Fair play to him if he achieves it.

That'sHernandez

I didn't judge anything, just asked a question.
Well when you say "will he start to believe the hype," it sort of implies you don't think he's capable of it and that he'd be wrong to say such a thing.