Gareth Bale Transfer Speculation | Done

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ekeke

AVB never got a proper chance at a big club and was never going to succeed at Chelsea when the senior players in the dressing room turned against him as soon as he looked to phase some out. But that's a different debate for a different thread.
Its because he tried to "phase" them out, immediately, that the dressing room turned against him. He didnt try the same at Spurs, he kept the older players around

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Its because he tried to "phase" them out, immediately, that the dressing room turned against him. He didnt try the same at Spurs, he kept the older players around
They have no real senior respected figures like Chelsea. He did try and sell Dawson to QPR though.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
You have said that Utd's previous history in being better than Spurs doesn't mean they will be in a coming season. Of course every time you've claimed it you've been wrong. I never said Spurs wouldn't attract quality players. Can you read?
I originally said: "Spurs have often been able to identify and sign talented players who then blossom further when they join us. There's no reason to suppose that this process is suddenly going to stop if Bale is sold."

To which you originally jumped in with some entirely disconnected comments - which you persists in continuing with - about United's previous league history and the coming league season ... comments which were clearly meant, in your confused and baffling way, to imply scepticism about Spurs future transfer signings. So yes, I can read.

And yes, I have said that have said that Utd's previous history in being better than Spurs, doesn't mean they will necessarily be better in the coming season. If you wish to be complacent that's up to you, but personally I think the coming season may be more open than in many a previous year.

acnumber9

I originally said: "Spurs have often been able to identify and sign talented players who then blossom further when they join us. There's no reason to suppose that this process is suddenly going to stop if Bale is sold."

To which you originally jumped in with some entirely disconnected comments - which you persists in continuing with - about United's previous league history and the coming league season ... comments which were clearly meant, in your confused and baffling way, to imply scepticism about Spurs future transfer signings. So yes, I can read.

And yes, I have said that have said that Utd's previous history in being better than Spurs, doesn't mean they will necessarily be better in the coming season. If you wish to be complacent that's up to you, but personally I think the coming season may be more open than in many a previous year.
No, I asked you how the past can shape the future in one sense but not the other and gave the two examples. Previous history in winning trophies holds no water with you but previous history in signing a few players who've went on to do better things does. I asked you to explain the difference. You haven't and instead started pretending I said Spurs couldn't attract quality players. If I said it please quote me. Spurs could easily attract players like Berbatov, Modric etc quality like they have in the past. They could just as easily end up with Adebayor, Sigurdsonn etc quality instead.

Guy Incognito

Plus his tactics wasn't workable for them. If it's not broke, no need for them to fix it.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight

I've not been on the caf over the last week. Are you still definitively declaring that beyond any doubt that Gareth Bale will be at Spurs next season, or have you conceded to not having a clue and simply spouting off out of hope?

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Gallas and Friedel got plenty of time at the start instead of being kicked out like the Chelsea elder statesman
But nobody gives that much of a shit about them. You cannot compare Gallas' position at Spurs to Terry's at Chelsea, and I doubt AVB would have come under pressure for replacing a 40 year old with their new £10m keeper either.

Basically, I doubt either player has enough clout to put significant pressure on his job. If AVB came in and didn't play Bale, it would be a different story, and bad results could make things turn against him.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
No, I asked you how the past can shape the future in one sense but not the other and gave the two examples. Previous history in winning trophies holds no water with you but previous history in signing a few players who've went on to do better things does. I asked you to explain the difference. You haven't and instead started pretending I said Spurs couldn't attract quality players. If I said it please quote me. Spurs could easily attract players like Berbatov, Modric etc quality like they have in the past. They could just as easily end up with Adebayor, Sigurdsonn etc quality instead.
Bloody hell you're tiresome. Once again, I have not said that "previous history in winning trophies holds no water" with me.

You want to draw some kind of bizarre contradiction between (a) the fact that I think the coming season is not set in stone in terms of where United will finish relative to Spurs; and (b) the fact that I believe Spurs will very likely continue to be able to attract quality players regardless of whether or not Bale is sold.

What's the difference you keep asking (as if the answer isn't obvious)? The difference is that apples are apples and oranges are oranges. They are two separate things. The one does not contradict the other.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
I've not been on the caf over the last week. Are you still definitively declaring that beyond any doubt that Gareth Bale will be at Spurs next season, or have you conceded to not having a clue and simply spouting off out of hope?

Isn't that what everybody on here does?

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
See post #1675.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
I begged to differ. I was fortunate enough at a charity doo in Scotland to speak to his Celtic team and they would disagree totally with you.

Big deal he excelled with Celtic, he's been poor everywhere else and never struck me as a guy whose a great footballing man in terms of knowledge. I pray to god Moyes is alot more clued up tactically and not a dinosaur like O'Neill.

acnumber9

Bloody hell you're tiresome. Once again, I have not said that "previous history in winning trophies holds no water" with me.

You want to draw some kind of bizarre contradiction between (a) the fact that I think the coming season is not set in stone in terms of where United will finish relative to Spurs; and (b) the fact that I believe Spurs will very likely continue to be able to attract quality players regardless of whether or not Bale is sold.

What's the difference you keep asking (as if the answer isn't obvious)? The difference is that apples are apples and oranges are oranges. They are two separate things. The one does not contradict the other.
Well it does because there's as much chance of Utd's proven ability to challenge for league titles and finish miles above Tottenham to continue as there is of Spurs chances of signing quality players continuing. More so given these 'quality' players Spurs have signed are fewer and farther between than Utd's record of finishing comfortably above Spurs. You use the past to predict one outcome but not the other. Clear contradiction.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
I'm just geniunely gobsmacked he could potentially be the biggest signing in football history, gobsmacked! He will literally have to play like a God 99% of the time for the fans to keep loving him, because for that price you could get 2 or 3 world class players, and the expectation would be nearly as much as it is for Bale.

I just see this going down the wrong path, and he won't be anywhere near as good as Madrid fans expected him to be. At a pre season (and pre-transfer) guess I reckon he would score less than 20 for Madrid and assist around 5 for them. He may completely prove me wrong, which is always possible, but changing to a completely different system and having to step down from being the main man like he is now, he won't be half as effective.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I'm not isn't mathematics. I'm saying inflation is irrelevant, it's clutching at straws just to keep your favourite player as a record breaker.
Bit of a mini bump, sorry about that - but I just read an article about Rockefeller: His net worth has been estimated to something between 400 and 700 billion US dollars, adjusted to the current economy. Even Vanderbilt, whose worth was a measly 105 million USD at the time, would have beaten Bill Gates quite comfortably in adjusted figures. Bill Gates is a record breaker in terms of what he is worth, dollars and cents - but he clearly isn't the richest bastard ever.

Right, carry on.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Spurs should just send Kenny McEvoy over to Madrid, they won't be able to tell the difference. Looks like an ape, fast as feck.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I'm just geniunely gobsmacked he could potentially be the biggest signing in football history, gobsmacked! He will literally have to play like a God 99% of the time for the fans to keep loving him, because for that price you could get 2 or 3 world class players, and the expectation would be nearly as much as it is for Bale.

I just see this going down the wrong path, and he won't be anywhere near as good as Madrid fans expected him to be. At a pre season (and pre-transfer) guess I reckon he would score less than 20 for Madrid and assist around 5 for them. He may completely prove me wrong, which is always possible, but changing to a completely different system and having to step down from being the main man like he is now, he won't be half as effective.
He will never get close to Ronaldo's records that's for sure and as a result, be deemed a failure seeing as he'd be more expensive. I think he's capable of being a 20-25 goal and 15 assist a season player for them which might have been good in years gone by but the goal posts have been moved back a mile or two. 35-40 goals is what you expect from a 80m+ player and he won't hit close to those figures, especially not if Ronaldo stays as the focal point.

Ekeke

But nobody gives that much of a shit about them. You cannot compare Gallas' position at Spurs to Terry's at Chelsea, and I doubt AVB would have come under pressure for replacing a 40 year old with their new £10m keeper either.

Basically, I doubt either player has enough clout to put significant pressure on his job. If AVB came in and didn't play Bale, it would be a different story, and bad results could make things turn against him.
Point is he came into Spurs and did play Gallas and Friedel. He didnt do that at Chelsea with the old guard. He took them out straight away and he paid for it. Yes if he took Friedel or Gallas out I'm sure he wouldnt have had such a backlash... And yet he didnt. Despite that being easier to do than remove Terry and Lampard at Chelsea.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
Have we made a bid yet? I say we start at £26m, test the waters.
Not sure that would work. Assuming we go up in 26m intervals, our second bid would £52m and our third £78m leaving us £7m short and no more bids to make.

Erentz

Knows everything! 5 years later.
He's not worth half that, absolutely farcical.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I'm hoping that's an intended exaggeration. Do you think you can pick up any old Bale for £30m or something? I'd say he's worth £60m at the very least.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
I'm hoping that's an intended exaggeration. Do you think you can pick up any old Bale for £30m or something? I'd say he's worth £60m at the very least.
In the last 3 seasons he's scored 49 goals in 127 games. It's a good record but I'm still not convinced it's £60m good.

He had just 4 Premier League assists this season and 4 in the Champions League scoring 21 in the League and 3 in Europe.

He's a £40-£50m player at best.

Irwinwastheking

Gimpier than Alex and Feeky
My big hope at this point (and not too unrealistic) is that he flops at Madrid but is still a special player and they off-load him in a few years for half that. For an 85mil player to flop they can still be excellent but just not Ronnie/Messi brilliant.

Irwinwastheking

Gimpier than Alex and Feeky
In the last 3 seasons he's scored 49 goals in 127 games. It's a good record but I'm still not convinced it's £60m good.

He had just 4 Premier League assists this season and 4 in the Champions League scoring 21 in the League and 3 in Europe.

TBH Pexbo at that point 30m is chump change. If you are in for a player for 50m you are willing to throw any normal economics out the window and just go for it. There's about 4 clubs that are in that position and money doesn't matter to them.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight

And 3 seasons ago Pogba was worth about £1m, now he's worth £30m.
Gundogan was worth about £5m and is now worth at least £30m.

His value is not based upon how many goals he has scored 'in the last three seasons'. It is based upon the player he is now, coupled with his age and potential both on and off the pitch I'd imagine. In addition to this is the fact that he is under a secure contract at a club that has no desire to sell him. £40m is an absolute joke for him.

He's just turned 24 and has been voted the best player in England twice already. If I was in control and I could afford it, I'd pay £70m for him to come here.

Red Hand Devil

Plan M ish
"I said a hip hop, hippie to the hippie..."
Absolutely man.

Ronnie went for £80m because he was feckin top-drawer for years & wasn't even at his prime either - he is now though. Bale's had a couple of good seasons, but is nowhere near Ronnie's level even at the same age. Ronnie's goin down as one of the all-time best players ever to grace the game - right-foot, left-foot, heading, dribbling, shooting from anywhere, tricks, free-kicks - the list of what Ronnie can do is endless. He's the most complete forward player i've ever seen.

Bale is better at branding hand-hearts though & acting in the Planet of the Apes films too...

TheReligion

Abusive

His value is not based upon how many goals he has scored 'in the last three seasons'. It is based upon the player he is now, coupled with his age and potential both on and off the pitch I'd imagine. In addition to this is the fact that he is under a secure contract at a club that has no desire to sell him. £40m is an absolute joke for him.

He's just turned 24 and has been voted the best player in England twice already. If I was in control and I could afford it, I'd pay £70m for him to come here.
You lost me when you valued Pogba at 30m

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
TBH Pexbo at that point 30m is chump change. If you are in for a player for 50m you are willing to throw any normal economics out the window and just go for it. There's about 4 clubs that are in that position and money doesn't matter to them.
Sorry but that is nonsense Irwin. The difference between bringing in a player for £40m-£50m and £80m+ has not just financial implications but also added pressures and expectations but from fans, managers, fellow players and the player himself. At £85m, he'd be the most expensive player in a squad of ego's. Can you imagine the pressure that brings. It'd be a 24 hour cock measuring competition. As a £40m player he could slip into the squad. At £85m, he can command a top wage which brings problems with Ronaldo's next contract both in making sure it is similiar and making sure you can afford it.

Real don't have the same bottomless pit City and PSG have, they will need to recoup that transfer some how.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
You lost me when you valued Pogba at 30m
Me too.

He was voted the best player player of the season in England. That's very different to being the best player. He's in the top 10, I could list 5 I'd happily say are better players than him.

Red Hand Devil

Plan M ish
"I said a hip hop, hippie to the hippie..."

:lol: Even Scott Parker won it for Christ sake.

Bale didn't deserve it either time he won it. He won it the first time because of those performances against Inter & Suarez would have won it last year if it were not for the biting lark!

Status
Not open for further replies.