Gareth Bale Transfer Speculation | Done

Status
Not open for further replies.

ciderman9000000

Yeah, that's all possible. But I am saying that it's not too big a risk to take and certainly not as clear cut a decision some are making it out to be. Let's say Spurs do get that fourth place spot and they do tumble out of the group stages. Well, he can just leave then. He'll be 25. Right now, Bale knows the water's warm out there, but he also knows that he's shit hot because of his stunning season in the league with Spurs so why not stay just a year and avoid running the risk of a transitional period at another club.
Because what's he got to achieve with Spurs? Winning anything but a domestic cup is not a possibility and even those seem unlikely. You suggest he stays at Spurs to avoid a transitional period at a big club; but why would he want to avoid that? Better get that transitional period out of the way now than feck around for another year or two at a club with no prospects only to face the same transitional period further down the line instead. He's achieved all he can at Spurs, he's become one of these world's best players and now it's time for him to move upwards. Bale could spend two more seasons at Spurs with the aim of potentially experiencing being knocked out of the CL group stages during 2014/15 - but where's the attraction in that?

Mainoldo

Bale is going nowhere this season. I hope we're not wasting our time trying to get him as it's a non-starter.

As for the notion that Spurs are a selling club that is bollocks, they haven't been a selling club for a couple of seasons now and have instead been looking to compete with the big boys as much as possible. They have only sold star players over the last couple of seasons when those players have kicked up a fuss and pushed for a move and Bale isn't that type of player yet. They might have appeared to be a selling club under Redknapp but that is more down to Redknapp's tendency to wheel and deal rather than build and keep together a stable squad for as long as possible (it may even be part of the reason why he was sacked).

Everything coming out of Spurs suggests that he is more than happy to have another season there so thats where he'll be, the rest of you are wasting your time looking for anything to develop here.
United put in a bid of £50m Spurs reject it.. Thats when Bale kicks up a fuss. Why would he complain over no potential transfer... Would be a bit stupid with no interest. I'm sure he is not thinking of going but if the opertunity arises obviously he is going to be interested. As Meek Mill would say... They're LEVELS to this game.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Well their circumstances have changed since the Berbatov one. I think there's a difference between a mid-table side who don't particularly need the money playing hardball and a side who is failing their new (since) ambition of making the top 4 being in a position to turn down a sum of money that could be enough, if spent wisely, to achieve their aims.

£30m for Spurs who finished 8th or 9th or wherever it was is all very nice. But £60m for a Spurs that has now agonizingly missed out on CL a few times now I think is an entirely different kettle of fish. Oddly they were in a stronger position with Berbatov. If they hold on to Bale that's a good few years where they may have fallen below their own income expectations.

Spurs had just finished 2 points behind Arsenal when Berbatov signed for them and they finished 5th again the following season. They were already CL challengers by that point.

Siorac

Spurs had just finished 2 points behind Arsenal when Berbatov signed for them and they finished 5th again the following season. They were already CL challengers by that point.
But then they finished 11th in 2008 and looked to be going nowhere fast when we signed Berbatov. The club is in a better position now, I don't think that can be denied.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
You've lost Fergie and very few players will be scrambling to play under Moyes. You can continue to waste your time chasing unattainable transfer targets, or else you can get real this summer and accept that players like Fellaini are probably as good as it's going to get.

StuCol

Chimp
You've lost Fergie and very few players will be scrambling to play under Moyes. You can continue to waste your time chasing unattainable transfer targets, or else you can get real this summer and accept that players like Fellaini are probably as good as it's going to get.

:lol:

We're Manchester United. We can attract great players. We're not some wannabe champions league team, we regularly feature in the latter stages

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Quoted

Mainoldo

Everyone wants to play for Tottenham.... You guys couldn't even get Fellaini.

Varun

Staff

Bullshit. The pull our club has goes much beyond our manager, great as Sir Alex is. I do agree that Bale is unattainable this summer but that has feckall do with the managerial change at our club.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I think if Spurs get the CL, they'll invest enough to be successful. The above was just a response to Cider to show that even if they flop in Europe, he can move then without a huge opportunity cost. Obviously, I made a big assumption in that if he stays, he'll have a greater likelihood of continuing his form/progress.
This is what you don't understand, spurs can't invest heavily because they don't have the money available. They are currently trying to finance a new stadium - they are about to enter their arsenal period. Even if they reach the CL no way are they going to blow close to 100m which will take you that next step.

unfortunately Tottenham will always be the bridesmaid.

Varun

Staff
It's a scary number. If we want him that badly, we'll have to pay him a massive wage to make that happen. If we entice Bale with a measly 200/week, fantastic. But we live in a world where the likes of City and PSG have polluted the market with ridiculous for mediocre footballers like Nasri, so I wouldn't rule out the prospect of us having to pay him somewhere around 250/week, but hopefully not.

It's a real shame Nani never developed his game to where it could have been and we wouldn't have to even think about Gareth Bale.

I dont think we can afford him this summer. He'd cost far too much. The more practical approach would be to wait for a year and go in next summer when hopefully things have cooled down a bit and his price slashed by 10mil or so. If Real couldnt get him, there's no way we can. In a more reasonable situation, we'd be able to pay both his fee and the wages he actually deserves. 1 season isnt worth spunking 70-80mil and 275k a week which is being branded about. You either see the talent and pick them before they have ridiculously good seasons or wait till it cools off. No sense in going gung ho when he's just had the best season of his career.

Regarding Nani, I still have hope in him. I hope he stays and flourishes under Moyes.

Burrow

FM Experiment God
Scout
:lol:

Oh you.

Stickles

We signed Berbatov in the summer of 2008. They'd just finished 11th

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
We signed Berbatov in the summer of 2008. They'd just finished 11th

Yes, and that was an anomaly because of a managerial changeover. We wouldn't suddenly become a Europa League team if we had one season where we finished outside the top four. I just don't agree that they're ambitions have changed much at all in this time. How can you possibly say it's a new ambition to be in the top four when they were agonisingly close to finishing 4th in the season before Berbatov had even signed?

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Because what's he got to achieve with Spurs? Winning anything but a domestic cup is not a possibility and even those seem unlikely. You suggest he stays at Spurs to avoid a transitional period at a big club; but why would he want to avoid that? Better get that transitional period out of the way now than feck around for another year or two at a club with no prospects only to face the same transitional period further down the line instead. He's achieved all he can at Spurs, he's become one of these world's best players and now it's time for him to move upwards. Bale could spend two more seasons at Spurs with the aim of potentially experiencing being knocked out of the CL group stages during 2014/15 - but where's the attraction in that?

Agreed. he only has to look at a player like Suarez(forget about him being a scumbag for a minute). He has only ever played in the group stages of the CL once when he was at Ajax and they didnt make the second round. Suarez is now 26.5 years old and will be 27.5 minimum before he kicks a ball in the CL again if he ends up staying at Liverpool(Him staying and Liverpool getting to the CL are very unlikely of course). As much as we all hate Suarez you have to admit talent wise he is wasting the best years of his career. Bale is now 24. He needs to be playing CL.

Stickles

Yes, and that was an anomaly because of a managerial changeover. We wouldn't suddenly become a Europa League team if we had one season where we finished outside the top four. I just don't agree that they're ambitions have changed much at all in this time. How can you possibly say it's a new ambition to be in the top four when they were agonisingly close to finishing 4th in the season before Berbatov had even signed?
Well it was 9th the following season also. Spurs may have been better than that but they didn't start becoming genuine contenders for the CL spot until after Berbatov left. Only once before that did they finish within 2 points of Arsenal. The next closest they got looks like it was 8 points adrift. Challenging or something once eight years doesn't make you CL contenders.

Interval

Level
I'll bet you 50 GBP that we will finish above Spurs in this season's league

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
I'll bet you 50 GBP that we will finish above Spurs in this season's league
What has this got to do with the point I made re. Fellaini being a realistic transfer target for MUFC this summer (in contrast to other wasted pursuits)?

If some United fans want to continue with the delusion that the likes of Bale are attainable, then it's no skin off my nose and won't change what happened with Alcantara or will likely happen with Fabregas.

Mainoldo

What has this got to do with the point I made re. Fellaini being a realistic transfer target for MUFC this summer (in contrast to other wasted pursuits)?

If some United fans want to continue with the delusion that the likes of Bale are attainable, then it's no skin off my nose and won't change what happened with Alcantara or will likely happen with Fabregas.
Benteke handed in a transfer request.. found out Spurs unambitious ass was the only club interested and decided to stay at Villa.

If we show genuine interest in Bale he will want to leave. So stop talking big time with the wrong club.

Bestie07

Benteke may be the first of many ambitious young players who may now be put off joining Spurs because of the reluctance of Levy to let his players go. In my opinion Benteke has ambitions higher than Spurs in the long run and didn't want to tie himself down to that club which would not easily allow him to move up a level if the opportunity presented itself couple of seasons down the line.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Benteke handed in a transfer request.. found out Spurs unambitious ass was the only club interested and decided to stay at Villa.

If we show genuine interest in Bale he will want to leave. So stop talking big time with the wrong club.
Seems to me that you're the one talking "big time". Real Madrid have already shown genuine interest in Bale, but I don't recall Bale scrambling to leave for them ... so it certainly isn't going to happen with MUFC under Moyes.

As for Benteke, if you actually believe that he prefers Villa to Spurs then you're even more deluded than I thought.

Fergie's Man

Suffers Snails fetish
Seems to me that you're the one talking "big time". Real Madrid have already shown genuine interest in Bale, but I don't recall Bale scrambling to leave for them ... so it certainly isn't going to happen with MUFC under Moyes.

As for Benteke, if you actually believe that he prefers Villa to Spurs then you're even more deluded than I thought.
GlastonSpur loves his cheap shots. I can't wait for this season to begin.

The Wizard

GlastonSpur loves his cheap shots. I can't wait for this season to begin.
He follows Tottenham, a small time selling club from North London, permanently overshadowed by their neighbours Arsenal. Don't give him your sense, just ignore him.

Mainoldo

Did they make a bid? Thought not.. like i said earlier he's not going to come out and make noise with nothing concrete. But maybe he wants to stay in England and nothing bigger than Moyes's United ;)

pablotatt

At the risk of sounding like the kind of united fan that all ABUs hate, why wouldn't Bale end up playing for us? He's going to leave Spurs, eventually. Where else might he go?

City or us. They are the only reasonable, plausible and realistic destinations. Can't see him going to Real.

I just don't see him playing for City. So it's only us.

Fergie's Man

Suffers Snails fetish
He follows Tottenham, a small time selling club from North London, permanently overshadowed by their neighbours Arsenal. Don't give him your sense, just ignore him.
Impossible to ignore. He and petestorey are secret United fans, I am sure of it.

StuCol

Chimp
I'm going to write a tweet saying Bale is interested in joining us. But he may stay at Spurs. Or might move elsewhere. I'll become a legend. Or at least qualified to write for the Mirror

Varun

Staff
At the risk of sounding like the kind of united fan that all ABUs hate, why wouldn't Bale end up playing for us? He's going to leave Spurs, eventually. Where else might he go?

City or us. They are the only reasonable, plausible and realistic destinations. Can't see him going to Real.

I just don't see him playing for City. So it's only us.

Whenever he becomes available, most top teams that can afford him will be after him. Why do you assume he wont go to Real?

Nogbadthebad

Whenever he becomes available, most top teams that can afford him will be after him. Why do you assume he wont go to Real?
I can imagine Real would like to buy him like all top clubs.

But I don't really think being Ronaldo's understudy is the career path Bale or his agent would want to take.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I can imagine Real would like to buy him like all top clubs.

But I don't really think being Ronaldo's understudy is the career path Bale or his agent would want to take.
He won't be Ronaldo's understudy at Real, the same way as Neymar won't be Messi's understudy at Barca.

Everest Red

Reddest ever

:lol: Harry fecking Redknapp was your most successful manager of late. Our reserve strikers are better than you first teamers.

Shinjisan

Account closed by request

:lol: A Spurs fan talking bollocks on a United forum is hilarious really.

You damn fool! You'll spout whatever shit daddy Storey teaches you without giving it your own thought, ay?

I know that watching United fall is the dream of every ABU in the world. Some of you have waited your entire lives for Sir Alex to retire, in hope that'll be the last of United at the top. I got bad news for all you delusional fools - not going to happen.

Sir Alex has left behind a financial behemoth, which has (will have when the financial report comes out) produced revenues in excess of £370m for the financial year 2012-2013. Those revenues are set to increase close to £450m at the end of next year.We are the second most valued team in the world and have the most number of fans in the world. You think we are just going to fall off because some of you think that we haven't appointed a fancy pants manager? You think suddenly we have lost the ability to attract players? Clubs with no history and no manager appointed can sign top players but we, Manchester United, cannot because Moyes is our manager?

Let's for a moment take the worst case scenario - we cannot sign out primary targets, have to settle for Fellani at the end of the window. What then? We will drop to midtable? The absolute worst we are going to finish is 3rd. I can guarantee you that.

Status
Not open for further replies.