Gareth Bale

Status
Not open for further replies.

Munkehboi

This is not me being bitter, but I'm genuinely happy we did not get involved with even trying to get Bale.

Bale on his day was world class. There is absolutely no way I see him reaching those levels again. Not with having had so little football the last couple of years. He is past his peak and does not have that explosive pace that was his key asset anymore. It is a risk worth taking for Spurs because they've looked pretty dire attacking wise. But I certainly don't expect him to be a worldie at Spurs. Son will perform better than Bale will.
Agreed, three years ago I would have been all over Bale coming to us but that ship has long since sailed for me. To me it just screams, Falcao, Schweinsteiger et al. over again.

Chief123

Agreed, three years ago I would have been all over Bale coming to us but that ship has long since sailed for me. To me it just screams, Falcao, Schweinsteiger et al. over again.
There is a reason why Madrid have been desperately looking for suitors to take him on loan at least. No one wants to take the risk.

I think everyone in their mind has got an image of the Bale that tore up the premier league. But that was 7 years ago close to his peak. I’m actually intrigued to see how he gets on because it’s a gamble spurs had to make in order to freshen up their approach otherwise there season could have gone sour very quickly.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
There is a reason why Madrid have been desperately looking for suitors to take him on loan at least. No one wants to take the risk.

I think everyone in their mind has got an image of the Bale that tore up the premier league. But that was 7 years ago close to his peak. I’m actually intrigued to see how he gets on because it’s a gamble spurs had to make in order to freshen up their approach otherwise there season could have gone sour very quickly.
OK, question, do you think he has been treated well at Madrid, by Zidane and the fans?

If you mention money, I will laugh.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham

Jesus..... they blocked his move last year.... Madrid, are a shithouse of a club, your own great manager stated it in no uncertain terms. He didnt just tear up the PL he tore un la liga when it counted, but still it was Ronaldo, Ronaldo, Ronaldo.

Chief123

OK, question, do you think he has been treated well at Madrid, by Zidane and the fans?
The way he has been treated by Zidane is an interesting one. Because initially I felt it was harsh how he was frozen out of the team. But then thinking logically, you have to question what were the reasons he was frozen out? Zidane doesn’t seem to come across as an irrational person who falls out with players because of his ego. It would be interesting to know his reasons. He even brought Bale on in a champions league final for him to score one of the best goals ever but it was still not enough for him to be considered in his plans.

With regards to how he was treated by the fans, everyone can see Madrid fans are brutal and irrational at the best of times. I’d take that with a pinch of salt. They even booed Ronaldo during his time there. Nutcases.

I do genuinely think Bale will be an improvement for Spurs because he is a better player than Moura and will be an added goal scoring threat to help Kane.

But I certainly didn’t want him to come to Utd. Every summer he was linked with us I used to think “Please not again!”

I would have loved Bale in 2013. But not now. Where would he play at Utd even if he did come? Greenwood would start ahead of Bale for me every time. Bale would be a backup to him. It would be a pointless transfer and just cause issues in the dressing room with his wages.

Bale is an upgrade for Spurs but this is a very different Bale to the one Spurs sold. That’s all I’m trying to emphasise.

Chief123

Jesus..... they blocked his move last year.... Madrid, are a shithouse of a club, your own great manager stated it in no uncertain terms. He didnt just tear up the PL he tore un la liga when it counted, but still it was Ronaldo, Ronaldo, Ronaldo.
Yes but that’s where the issue is. Spurs are hoping for him to do something he did in his peak years. It’s like Everton signing Rooney from us and imagining he’s going to do for them what he did for Utd in his peak.

Bale is nowhere near his peak anymore.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
The way he has been treated by Zidane is an interesting one. Because initially I felt it was harsh how he was frozen out of the team. But then thinking logically, you have to question what were the reasons he was frozen out? Zidane doesn’t seem to come across as an irrational person who falls out with players because of his ego. It would be interesting to know his reasons. He even brought Bale on in a champions league final for him to score one of the best goals ever but it was still not enough for him to be considered in his plans.

With regards to how he was treated by the fans, everyone can see Madrid fans are brutal and irrational at the best of times. I’d take that with a pinch of salt. They even booed Ronaldo during his time there. Nutcases.

I do genuinely think Bale will be an improvement for Spurs because he is a better player than Moura and will be an added goal scoring threat to help Kane.

But I certainly didn’t want him to come to Utd. Every summer he was linked with us I used to think “Please not again!”

I would have loved Bale in 2013. But not now. Where would he play at Utd even if he did come? Greenwood would start ahead of Bale for me every time. Bale would be a backup to him. It would be a pointless transfer and just cause issues in the dressing room with his wages.

Bale is an upgrade for Spurs but this is a very different Bale to the one Spurs sold. That’s all I’m trying to emphasise.
I'm not really interested if United wanted him, I've never said you did. Its quite odd, to me that you have to say you didn't want him. If he he can stay fit, he is clearly a massive boost to us.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Yes but that’s where the issue is. Spurs are hoping for him to do something he did in his peak years. It’s like Everton signing Rooney from us and imagining he’s going to do for them what he did for Utd in his peak.

Bale is nowhere near his peak anymore.
Ok, so you are saying Bale abused his body like Rooney did? These are lazy comparisons to fit an agenda, looking at Bales injuries over the last few years, ans how he managoed always available foer Wales would paint a picture that would say there were perhaps ummmm fake? If he was a crock, he wouldnt pass a medical.

Chief123

I'm not really interested if United wanted him, I've never said you did. Its quite odd, to me that you have to say you didn't want him. If he he can stay fit, he is clearly a massive boost to us.
I know your not bothered if Utd wanted him. My initial post about him was regarding me being happy that we didn’t get him and I wouldn’t want him at Utd. You responded to my follow on post from it which is why I’m saying it.

I’ve already said a couple of times he is an improvement for spurs.

Chief123

Ok, so you are saying Bale abused his body like Rooney did?
I’m not here to piss on your chips mate. I’m sure every spurs fan is over the moon about it and I’ve already mentioned it was worth the risk for Spurs to take.

But my point is Spurs are signing a very different Bale to the one they sold. Nevertheless, he still improves Spurs team massively. That’s probably more indicative of Spurs current state as a team though.

Eddy_JukeZ

Even if he's fit, he's pretty much finished as a top level footballer.

Real gave him the reigns the following season after Ronaldo left and he failed spectacularly. No one expected him to be Ronaldo 2.0, but he was woeful.

peridigm

Would loved to have had him a few years ago. He did well at RM but this only has one outcome with Jose as your manager and it's not the successful Jose. I'm sure he'll have the new team bounce affect initially but Jose is still gonna Jose.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
I’m not here to piss on your chips mate. I’m sure every spurs fan is over the moon about it and I’ve already mentioned it was worth the risk for Spurs to take.

But my point is Spurs are signing a very different Bale to the one they sold. Nevertheless, he still improves Spurs team massively. That’s probably more indicative of Spurs current state as a team though.
We finished 6th with an absolutly injury ravaged season, while changing managers.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
Ok, so you are saying Bale abused his body like Rooney did? These are lazy comparisons to fit an agenda, looking at Bales injuries over the last few years, ans how he managoed always available foer Wales would paint a picture that would say there were perhaps ummmm fake? If he was a crock, he wouldnt pass a medical.
He’s lost his explosiveness. Torres didn’t abuse his body but he still lost it and much like Torres Bale has never been particularly great technically. I was arguing this before you guys signed him so this isn’t sour grapes. I could be totally wrong but I’ve watched him for Wales and genuinely think he’s a shadow of his former self. It’ll be fascinating to watch though and I can understand why you’re excited.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Even if he's fit, he's pretty much finished as a top level footballer.

Real gave him the reigns the following season after Ronaldo left and he failed spectacularly. No one expected him to be Ronaldo 2.0, but he was woeful.
Zidane was always pretty clear he didn't want him.

Chief123

Would loved to have had him a few years ago. He did well at RM but this only has one outcome with Jose as your manager and it's not the successful Jose. I'm sure he'll have the new team bounce affect initially but Jose is still gonna Jose.
I don’t even think Bale is the concern for Spurs. The bigger concern is the lack of desire the Spurs team is showing for the manager. It’s like a carbon copy of the latter months at Utd where Jose was adamant the team was playing for him yet you could clearly see the players had given up on him.

Bale is a boost they need but whether that gets the rest of the players to start playing is a huge question mark.

I watched the whole of Spurs v Everton and it was shocking to see the lack of desire to get back into the game by the players when losing. Lack of fitness can only go some way as an excuse but there was a clear lack of fight. But that’s for a different thread!

SAFMUTD

I think Spurs are getting into an Alexis Sanchez situation here, if its a loan deal with no obligation to buy its a good deal. But if its a straight buy its a highly risky one, for sure it would be a free transfer but Bale wages good damn, he earns 600k a week.

He will be the best paid player in the league, and would be earning 3 times as much as Kane and 4 times more than Son, nevermind the other players.

Thats going to seriously affect the wage structure in Spurs.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
He’s lost his explosiveness. Torres didn’t abuse his body but he still lost it and much like Torres Bale has never been particularly great technically. I was arguing this before you guys signed him so this isn’t sour grapes. I could be totally wrong but I’ve watched him for Wales and genuinely think he’s a shadow of his former self. It’ll be fascinating to watch though and I can understand why you’re excited.
We will just have to wait and see.

Red_toad

Maybe he’s like Sanchez and just done at top level!
I’d suggest you check how medical works, being fit at the time does not mean you’ll be getting a reliable and explosive Bale. Feck we even sold fat Lukaku and he passed a medical.
Bale has many injury issues that arent going away, so he’d very likely pass a medical then breakdown numerous times throughout the season.
Good luck with him, I suspect he’s a dud and will be a drag on finances.... But we shall see.

Chief123

No idea how you’ve come to all those assumptions from my post.

You seriously can’t be expecting Bale to perform how he did 3-4 years ago? Your heart may say otherwise but I think you’ll be in for disappointment if that’s what your hoping for.

Crocks can still pass medicals. A medical doesn’t highlight when a player is finished competitively. Alexis Sanchez passed a medical and he wasn’t even half the player he used to be.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Maybe he’s like Sanchez and just done at top level!
I’d suggest you check how medical works, being fit at the time does not mean you’ll be getting a reliable and explosive Bale. Feck we even sold fat Lukaku and he passed a medical.
Bale has many injury issues that arent going away, so he’d very likely pass a medical then breakdown numerous times throughout the season.
Good luck with him, I suspect he’s a dud and will be a drag on finances.... But we shall see.
Fat Lukaku scored 23 in 36 for Inter last season.

Eddy_JukeZ

FFS, what did Zidane publicly say about Bale?
Why do you keep mentioning Zidane? Are you being dense on purpose?

Zidane wasn't there that season. He is gone. He has nothing to do with Bale that season. Bale had a chance to be the star man. They gave him the reigns.

He failed badly.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
I think it's more likely he does bad than good.
This probably belongs in the Jose Mourinho thread.
Men you dont get it, I get called all the names under the sun, if I call someone "dense" I get a warning. We don't have an equal playing ground here, I'm a guest here (which I am very aware of), but you are bound to see why a Spurs fan would be excited. Anyway tired of the BS.

Eddy_JukeZ

Men you dont get it, I get called all the names under the sun, if I call someone "dense" I get a warning. We don't have an equal playing ground here, I'm a guest here (which I am very aware of), but you are bound to see why a Spurs fan would be excited. Anyway tired of the BS.
To be fair, I asked if you were acting dense. Not that you are dense.

You're more than free to feel excited. People downplaying the transfer(including me), shouldn't really change that.

But this is a forum and people will have differing views to yours.

Chief123

I've already agreed numerous times that I can absolutely see why Spurs fans would be excited by the signing. He is better than what they currently have. That was never the point in the whole discussion. You keep changing the angle of conversation which is why we are going back and forth.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
To be fair, I asked if you were acting dense. Not that you are dense.

You're more than free to feel excited. People downplaying the transfer(including me), shouldn't really change that.

But this is a forum and people will have differing views to yours.
Mate, you asked if "I was being dense on purpose" I have no problem with it, it wasn't really implying anything, your argument resorted to a personal retort.

I've already agreed numerous times that I can absolutely see why Spurs fans would be excited by the signing. He is better than what they currently have. That was never the point in the whole discussion. You keep changing the angle of conversation which is why we are going back and forth.
I'm not changing anything, I'm choosing to think he may have more desire now for a few reasons. We don't agree, you think he will fail, I choose to believe he may be more motivated. I very much doubt we will agree. I just think a slanging match is just tribal bullshit.

Chief123

I'm not changing anything, I'm choosing to think he may have more desire now for a few reasons. We don't agree, you think he will fail, I choose to believe he may be more motivated. I very much doubt we will agree. I just think a slanging match is just tribal bullshit. 1
Throughout all of this, I've never said I think he will fail. I actually think he'll be a success in terms of giving Spurs more than what they currently have. I don't know why you are interpreting it as me saying he will fail. I've said numerous times now that I don't see him being anywhere near the Bale that Spurs sold or the one that peaked at Madrid. That's all. But a Bale who is half the player of his peak is probably still a success at Spurs.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Throughout all of this, I've never said I think he will fail. I actually think he'll be a success in terms of giving Spurs more than what they currently have. I don't know why you are interpreting it as me saying he will fail. I've said numerous times now that I don't see him being anywhere near the Bale that Spurs sold or the one that peaked at Madrid. That's all. But a Bale who is half the player of his peak is probably still a success at Spurs.
I appreciate that and with all this we will simply have to wait and see.

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
I wouldn't have minded having a punt on Bale this season as a loan for United but glad we didn't do it. Not saying he will be a bad signing, however he hasn't played much football in the last season or so and is past his peak. That's not a derogatory remark, his peak is very high and if he's below peak then he's still a very good player.

I fear he will be a fantastic signing and be motivated enough to show Madrid they should have been playing him more. Would it have been worth the risk for United to try and loan him, perhaps but with recent failures of players needing to prove something and not meeting those expectations this is maybe what has persuaded us to not try and loan Bale.

snowkarl

Mate, you asked if "I was being dense on purpose" I have no problem with it, it wasn't really implying anything, your argument resorted to a personal retort.

I'm not changing anything, I'm choosing to think he may have more desire now for a few reasons. We don't agree, you think he will fail, I choose to believe he may be more motivated. I very much doubt we will agree. I just think a slanging match is just tribal bullshit.
The fact that you are reacting this defensively really betrays the fact that you're afraid Bale will flop and in denial about it.

Otherwise you'd just let the proof appear... in the pudding so to speak.

Guy scored 2 in 16 last year. He's finished. Was China (retirement home) bound and no one else wanted him.

It's gonna be a disaster, and a glorious one to boot.

I mean- not even Woody wanted to take him!

Status
Not open for further replies.