Garnacho: What is his potential?

rotherham_red

Garnacho's great, but he's not similar to Ronaldo in style of play. Ronaldo was much more of a dribbler (while still having his electric pace which he definitely made more use of) while Garnacho's a winger who uses his pace to get by players. I don't want to say he's kick and rush, as he's a level or two beyond that, but he's closer to that end of the scale than Ronaldo was, IMO.

NLunited

I think that's very harsh. He has shown signs of having that in his locker though. The assist for McTominay on the EFL vs Villa, the winner vs City.

He goes on the outside to the byline as much as he cuts in, as opposed to a one-trick pony like Grealish who's always looking to come inside. Has scored a couple of winners with his left too.

To be honest, I think he's shown enough that as an 18 year old he has a lot of strings to his bow.
Not meant to be harsh, he‘s still just a kid, plenty of time to develop his game.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Garnacho's great, but he's not similar to Ronaldo in style of play. Ronaldo was much more of a dribbler (while still having his electric pace which he definitely made more use of) while Garnacho's a winger who uses his pace to get by players. I don't want to say he's kick and rush, as he's a level or two beyond that, but he's closer to that end of the scale than Ronaldo was, IMO.
Garnacho needs to be Garnacho not a clone of somebody else.

Giggsy13

What I love about his development so far is that he’s relentless and doesn’t stop running at players even if he takes a knock or foul. Most young players would hesitate or fear a challenge but he keeps going. It’s a very positive sign about his mentality and he has the potential to be a world class talent.

Pronewbie

Peep
What about the fans that are ready to welcome Qatari owners? They don't seem to have much of a moral compass.
Were you as outraged by the London Olympics just after the Atlanticists bombed the hell out of Libya for wanting to break free from their tyranny? Otherwise sit down - the world is messed up as it is and if there's one thing that can unite us it's sports.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Were you as outraged by the London Olympics just after the Atlanticists bombed the hell out of Libya for wanting to break free from their tyranny? Otherwise sit down - the world is messed up as it is and if there's one thing that can unite us it's sports.
I am just saying, people who want Qatar owners haven't really got a leg to stand on about Greenwood coming back.

Btw I didn't even watch any of the London Olympics, just like I didn't watch any of the Qatar World Cup.

Belisarius

Has anyone heard if he's signed a new contract yet? There was some reporting a few weeks ago that a deal was very close. But, I've heard nothing since.

Steve 007

Great potential. Ronaldo vibes. Not many players have his ability to take on defenders like that.

Looks like a bit like a one trick pony, to become world class he needs to develop in other aspects of his game: crossing, passing, assisting.
He has 6 assists this season in 21 games (not all starts). That’s pretty’s decent I’d say.

r0663664

Worships Man City
Garnacho will not reach Ronaldo level, Ronaldo is a physical specimen. Garnacho is likely a very good winger who can cut in or stay at the byline and he will score a few goals. I cannot see him as a goal scoring machine.

NLunited

Garnacho will not reach Ronaldo level, Ronaldo is a physical specimen. Garnacho is likely a very good winger who can cut in or stay at the byline and he will score a few goals. I cannot see him as a goal scoring machine.
Salah and Rashford are wingers. Garnacho can reach that level I think.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
All charges have been dropped in light of new evidence (as stated by the CPS).

Her family are also supportive of her decision and of Greenwood.

You should be able to consider and accept that.

Remember when Greenwood and Foden were speaking to those girls in Iceland in 2020? If anyone was more desirous of leaving the relationship it was probably Greenwood and he was the one forced to stay and settle down.
Jesus.

RU Devil

Not many can even dream of being at that level. If he approached Arjen Robben level, I'd be over the moon.

He has had a very good start. Hope he just continues to progress and learn.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
If he, like Bellingham is playing for Dortmund (and scored, assisted more goals with better overall stats because their league is shite) then we would be looking to sign him for 75 million pounds.

NLunited

It's still about relatively young players having issues distracting them and taking them away from their professionalism. From the perspective of them as footballers, it's simply about how focused and dedicated they are to it.

Well the video was clearly fake blood, so there's valid reason to doubt the veracity of whatever else there was (don't tell me you've ever seen a mouth "injury" with watery blood running like that, together with zero visible wound and illogically positioned dry streaks the whole the way down someone's neck).

If there was any actual evidence of Greenwood having committed "domestic violence" as per your post, then the CPS would have still been able to and have had a duty to prosecute - they can proceed with such a prosecution even without the cooperation of any witnesses when they have evidence - but they didn't.

Your "reasoning" doesn't make sense at all - if United had agreed then Greenwood would have been sacked, not merely suspended. The fact that he was merely suspended clearly left the door open to him potentially playing for the club again subject to the conclusion of the investigation. Furthermore, now that the investigation has been concluded, the club are considering how it could be possible to bring him back. Again, if there was a general belief that he was in fact actually guilty then it doesn't seem so likely these conversations would be taking place, and again he'd have been sacked already. The main problem now is not that Greenwood has actually committed any crime, but that he's had his name dragged through the mud in public based on innuendo and content carefully selected to mislead.
I don‘t think any of us are in a position to judge the veracity of the video. We aren’t supposed to discuss Greenwood.

Whether he plays for us again is up to the club and our players. They will make a decision.

pacifictheme

It's still about relatively young players having issues distracting them and taking them away from their professionalism. From the perspective of them as footballers, it's simply about how focused and dedicated they are to it.

Well the video was clearly fake blood, so there's valid reason to doubt the veracity of whatever else there was (don't tell me you've ever seen a mouth "injury" with watery blood running like that, together with zero visible wound and illogically positioned dry streaks the whole the way down someone's neck).

If there was any actual evidence of Greenwood having committed "domestic violence" as per your post, then the CPS would have still been able to and have had a duty to prosecute - they can proceed with such a prosecution even without the cooperation of any witnesses when they have evidence - but they didn't.

Your "reasoning" doesn't make sense at all - if United had agreed then Greenwood would have been sacked, not merely suspended. The fact that he was merely suspended clearly left the door open to him potentially playing for the club again subject to the conclusion of the investigation. Furthermore, now that the investigation has been concluded, the club are considering how it could be possible to bring him back. Again, if there was a general belief that he was in fact actually guilty then it doesn't seem so likely these conversations would be taking place, and again he'd have been sacked already. The main problem now is not that Greenwood has actually committed any crime, but that he's had his name dragged through the mud in public based on innuendo and content carefully selected to mislead - ask yourself why the limited information was leaked to the public, rather than just taken to the police as is usually the case when someone is accused of a crime.
Jesus christ.

RuudTom83

What Garnacho has that Sancho didn’t is a settled well coached setup.

EtH will be working with him for a huge part of his first team development, 3 years under him will do wonders.

Can he reach Saka/Rashford levels? I don’t see why not, he has all the raw qualities you could wish for in a wide attacker.

El Jefe

The advantage he has over Januzaj, Rashford and Greenwood is that he's being developed under ETH. We saw Rashford under LVG and he was coming along really well but all his bad habits pretty much started under Jose and continued with Ole. Moyes pretty much did the same with Januzaj, he was a fantastic playmaker as a youth player but due bad development became selfish and became more focused on scoring than creating.

I don't think Garnacho is as talented as Greenwood but his ability to beat players running with the ball has world class potential and is such a rare skill. He also seems to have high potential as a finisher and also good with both feet. At the very least I'd expect him to be good enough for a squad role here but if he continues working hard and listens to the coaches we could have a star.

PigeonEscobar

The advantage he has over Januzaj, Rashford and Greenwood is that he's being developed under ETH. We saw Rashford under LVG and he was coming along really well but all his bad habits pretty much started under Jose and continued with Ole. Moyes pretty much did the same with Januzaj, he was a fantastic playmaker as a youth player but due bad development became selfish and became more focused on scoring than creating.

I don't think Garnacho is as talented as Greenwood but his ability to beat players running with the ball has world class potential and is such a rare skill. He also seems to have high potential as a finisher and also good with both feet. At the very least I'd expect him to be good enough for a squad role here but if he continues working hard and listens to the coaches we could have a star.
Januzaj was probably never as good as we thought,
United fans were very excited about him because he was a tidy technical player who came through during a relatively barren period for the academy and during an otherwise horrible season.
We had Pogba who left for Juventus and Ravel that wasn’t a United player at that point.
Welbeck did alright I suppose.

But Garnacho been consistently excellent this season, especially if you take his age into account.
Januzaj in comparison had what, the Sunderland game and one half against Swansea (?) and that was about it?
I remember a young Shaw completely destroying him when we played Southampton.

There’s seems to be a lot of revisionism about young Ronaldo amongst United fans, he was obviously incredibly talented and exciting but he was also very frustrating and his decision making wasn’t as good as Garnacho’s at the same age.

However, comparing Garnacho to one of the greatest footballers of all time is unfair to him, it would be unfair to any 18 years old because there’s lots of factors beyond talent that made Ronaldo what he turned out to be.

I just hope that Garnacho can keep developing his game and scoring important goals for us, and everything will be grand.

The one thing in which Garnacho is similar to Ronaldo and other great players is that he doesn’t get fazed from failing.
He can fail to go past a defender several times but he gives no fecks he just keeps trying and that is a massive mental edge that not many attackers have, young or not.
Because he knows that as an attacker he only needs to succeed once or twice per game to make a difference.

Last edited:

Erik the Red

Januzaj was probably never as good as we thought,
United fans were very excited about him because he was a tidy technical player who came through during a relatively barren period for the academy and during an otherwise horrible season.
We had Pogba who left for Juventus and Ravel that wasn’t a United player at that point.
Welbeck did alright I suppose.

But Garnacho been consistently excellent this season, especially if you take his age into account.
Januzaj in comparison had what, the Sunderland game and one half against Swansea (?) and that was about it?
I remember a young Shaw completely destroying him when we played Southampton.

There’s seems to be a lot of revisionism about young Ronaldo amongst United fans, he was obviously incredibly talented and exciting but he was also very frustrating and his decision making wasn’t as good as Garnacho’s at the same age.

However, comparing Garnacho to one of the greatest footballers of all time is unfair to him, it would be unfair to any 18 years old because there’s lots of factors beyond talent that made Ronaldo what he turned out to be.

I just hope that Garnacho can keep developing his game and scoring important goals for us, and everything will be grand.

The one thing in which Garnacho is similar to Ronaldo and other great players is that he doesn’t get fazed from failing.
He can fail to go past a defender several times be he gives no fecks he just keeps trying and that is a massive mental edge that not many attackers have, young or not.
Because he knows that as an attacker he only needs to succeed once or twice per game to make a difference.
From all the young players I have seen come through since Ronaldo, Garnacho is the most similar. Ronaldo had more tricks in his armoury, but Garnacho's decision making is better. Ronaldo developed his game to make it more efficient, and I am sure that with good coaching Garnacho can improve also.

Greenwood is a different type of player, and definitely provides something different than the other forwards we have at the club, however, we have to wait and see what the board decides to do. The futures of Greenwood, Martial and Weghorst will dictate how many strikers we need to buy. If all three go, we should expect two incoming, probably including a cheap option like Thuram on a free. However, ETH may prioritise FDJ, and FFP may mean we stick with Martial, and Rashford, Greenwood and Weghorst as backup.

lex talionis

Garnacho is the subject of this thread and it would be a good idea to stick to it.

Opinion only, but at this point in his career Garnacho is clearly better than Ronaldo was at the same age. But it’s hard to imagine Garnacho reaching the level Ronaldo reached at 21…Balon d’Or winner.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
He’s working really hard up and down the left today.

Mwooyo

All the come backs or backs against the wall clutch performances this season have been from Garnacho...he is the only one many times still running directly at their defense trying to create something or scores the clutch goal. Mentally he is elite

criticalanalysis

Makes you pull your hair out with equal joy and frustration. Not changed my mind on him since last season really but glad he's our boy.

criticalanalysis

Tell us more.
He's a take-on monster. It's either go past someone or get stopped/lose the ball. He has moments of good link up play and I understand we need penetration/attacking impetus but I think ETH/our game isn't developing his game the way I would like. It's reminiscent of Rashford where Mourinho/Ole-ball was just spam it to him and reap the rewards of that chaos.

It's too soon to say anything definitive of course but it's where we are at after 12 months of seeing him play for us regularly now.

cpresc

I think he's f**king brilliant

He's what, 18? 19 max?

Already at this age he's scored goal of the season and is the catalyst for our comebacks

He has technique in abundance, courage in abundance

On top of that, his post-match interview just showed maturity where he was aware enough to big up Rashford and highlight being pleased for Rasmus.

In 7 years, he'll only 25.

I think he'll become one of our greatest ever players. We just need more like him - like we had Rooney and Ronaldo

Reactions: Mr Pigeon