Garnacho: What is his potential?

Red Royal

I think he's f**king brilliant

He's what, 18? 19 max?

Already at this age he's scored goal of the season and is the catalyst for our comebacks

He has technique in abundance, courage in abundance

On top of that, his post-match interview just showed maturity where he was aware enough to big up Rashford and highlight being pleased for Rasmus.

In 7 years, he'll only 25.

I think he'll become one of our greatest ever players. We just need more like him - like we had Rooney and Ronaldo
It is so easy to forget that he is 19!! He needs careful nurturing because he can be so so good. Great to see the other kids like Mainoo and Kambwalla coming through... promising signs.

Conor

He's class, if he had a team around him scoring regular goals then his misses wouldn't be as apparent.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
His finishing had been well off since the overhead kick and Gala away week, but that was more like it.

RyRy11

I like his attitude, he has the swagger where he knows his potential but still puts in the hard work. If he keeps that up then the sky is the limit for him. Don't want to turn this into a shit on Rashford post but that's the hurdle he can't seem to overcome. Garnacho doesn't cut a figure of frustration out there but it's always apparent to see when Marcus is having a rough time. Body language may not seem like a big deal but everyone picks up on it. When he fully develops his decision making then he'll have so many more goals and assists, I'm not worried about him at all.

OrcaFat

His immediate celebration after Rasmus’s goal went in was also great to see.
Rasmus saying they talk a lot about how to play better with each other. It should go without saying but it’s good to hear and when players form a bond it helps their play.

SAFMUTD

He has great attitude and fight, he needs to bulk up though. Against pacy defenders he struggles, he's often dispossessed easily because he's lightweight also while he's not slow he isnt particularly fast either. So I just can imagen the potential this kid will have when he fully develops phyisically he's going to be a real gem.

DJ Jeff

Not so Jazzy
Soaring like a candy wrapper caught in an updraft
I hope he'll be great. He has a good attitude, great confidence in him. I just worry about his lack of physical ability - he's quick, but not quite as quick as you need to be to be a menace in the PL at this level, he doesn't have the elastic agility of a Rashford or Saka, and I don't think he's that great at beating his man. But for 19, he's one of the most promising prospects we've had in years. Just think some of the shouts in here are way over the top - I'd be delighted if he could become our Foden.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I think he can be a right winger - looked equally if not more dangerous yesterday on the right. Could be because of the high line though.

doughole

Those that are saying he will evolve into the next Messi or Ronaldo should really reign in their expectations.

It's pressure like this that ruins players.

Furthermore let Garnacho develop gradually, and slowly. He should not be played week in, week out at his age or stage of development

DJ Jeff

Not so Jazzy
Soaring like a candy wrapper caught in an updraft
Those that are saying he will evolve into the next Messi or Ronaldo should really reign in their expectations.

It's pressure like this that ruins players.

Furthermore let Garnacho develop gradually, and slowly. He should not be played week in, week out at his age or stage of development
Its a shame for him that Antony and Sancho being so shite has meant that he basically has to play every single game.

SungSam7

Rasmus saying they talk a lot about how to play better with each other. It should go without saying but it’s good to hear and when players form a bond it helps their play.
Antony must be doing his fidget spins in the background while the 2 lads are trying to get a bit of chemistry going.

Ghostrider318

As long as he follows his footballing idol's proffesionalism path religiously. He can emulate him in a United shirt IMO. Especially how CR7 was in 2007. Thats the kinda winger player he can consistently be and become our Salah.
Cristiano will go down as one of the greatest players ever to have played the game. Those kind of players dont come very often. I hope Garnacho hits those heights at United but Id settle at peak Nani ( without the inconsistencies / injuries )

El Jefe

As long as he follows his footballing idol's proffesionalism path religiously. He can emulate him in a United shirt IMO. Especially how CR7 was in 2007. Thats the kinda winger player he can consistently be and become our Salah.
No he can’t. I see no similarities between him and the United version of Cristiano other than them being young and wingers.

fecking hope not!
Walcott was a really good player just not an elite one. Scored over 100 goals for Arsenal. Garnacho could be a better player than him but not that much more IMO and certainly closer to him than the likes of Ronaldo and Salah.

Remember the geese

Walcott was a really good player just not an elite one. Scored over 100 goals for Arsenal. Garnacho could be a better player than him but not that much more IMO and certainly closer to him than the likes of Ronaldo and Salah.
Walcott level isn't good enough. I'd be very underwhelmed if Garnacho only reached that level. Garnacho has the potential to be amongst the best wide players in the league.

Bwuk

Nah, I think he'll be better. No disrespect to Nani.
Probably around peak Nani. Nani was pretty damn good in his prime.
Hard to compare. Nani was much more of an actual winger, would beat players and get crosses in.

I’m not sure who I’d say Garnacho reminds me of. Maybe Mane in terms of stylistic.

Adamsk7

Wow….i mean I think Garnacho is decent at 19 but I’m not sure he’s shown enough to warrant most of the praise he’s getting here. There’s no real aspect of his game that seems like it will suddenly develop in to top class - when I saw certain abilities from the likes of Messi, Ronaldo, Rooney, etc it was obvious from the off, even for opposing fans.

So far to me he seems like a boy who’s got a lot of spirit and isn’t overawed by occasion (both great qualities) but he’s not a great passer, dribbler, crosser, dribbler etc, he’s just not BAD per say at any of those things either.

A long way to go and ideally he will be able to develop in to whatever he’s going to be without silly expectations from our own fans.

Sir Erik ten Hag

I think he can be an Ashley Young-like player for us: May be not elite, but has longevity and is a great servant for the club in many years.

El Jefe

Walcott level isn't good enough. I'd be very underwhelmed if Garnacho only reached that level. Garnacho has the potential to be amongst the best wide players in the league.
It’s only a disappointment if you’re expecting him to be world class.

I’ve seen it with many of our youngster where people have unrealistic expectations and underestimate just how good you have to be here to excel for many years.

I remember talk on here about Rashford and Martial being potentially as good as Salah and Mane. Fast forward five years later and they aren’t even close.

Rather than using Walcott by name if I just referenced his Arsenal stats of 397 games with 108 goals and 80 assists with g/an every 124mins you would take that all day. That’s a player good enough to be a factor in a winning team.

The absolute top end of his potential is Son in my opinion but I think Walcott is more realistic.

Remember the geese

It’s only a disappointment if you’re expecting him to be world class.

I’ve seen it with many of our youngster where people have unrealistic expectations and underestimate just how good you have to be here to excel for many years.

I remember talk on here about Rashford and Martial being potentially as good as Salah and Mane. Fast forward five years later and they aren’t even close.

Rather than using Walcott by name if I just referenced his Arsenal stats of 397 games with 108 goals and 80 assists with g/an every 124mins you would take that all day. That’s a player good enough to be a factor in a winning team.

The absolute top end of his potential is Son in my opinion but I think Walcott is more realistic.
I think it's possible that a player can be better than Walcott, yet not World Class. I wouldn't limit Garnacho's potential to merely Theo Walcott's level. I can see that being a very realistic standard to reach, to the point where if he dipped beneath that level, it would be pretty catastrophic really.

I agree that Garnacho's top level would be amongst the best wide players in the league. Son, as you have used as an example. Though I'd like to think that he can at least hit some happy medium between Walcott and Son.

Rojofiam

I like him but don't think he'll be anywhere near Ballon d'Or or peak Salah / United Ronaldo level. I see a really good Premier League winger with solid G/A in him, who can be a great servant to the club for a long time, and that would be nothing to be ashamed of. If he proves me wrong I'll be glad to admit it.

Personally way more excited about Hojlund and Mainoo.

Eriku

Easy to forget that he was told he needed to up his professionalism ahead of last season. If only Sancho could take criticism like this kid did.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
I like him but don't think he'll be anywhere near Ballon d'Or or peak Salah / United Ronaldo level. I see a really good Premier League winger with solid G/A in him, who can be a great servant to the club for a long time, and that would be nothing to be ashamed of. If he proves me wrong I'll be glad to admit it.

Personally way more excited about Hojlund and Mainoo.
That's wild given he's already shown himself to be a level above both those players thus far.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I think it's his mentality rather than his pure ability that will set him apart from his peers if he's to fulfil his potential. He's got ability, not even close to what Ronaldo had, but I see a lot of the same spirit in him (with less Portuguese petulance). I think he wants to be the best in the world and is willing to work hard for it, so luck and injuries permitting I think he'll go on to be a terrific player. If he could get to Son levels I'd be delighted - a very underrated player himself.