Gary Neville has been appointed as Head Coach of Valencia until the end of the season.

prarek

Oh, right, thanks. Valencia fans weren't happy with hiring Neville either were they?
Most fans were just confused. Obviously not happy but not angry also. Surprisingly he was well received. As showed in the poll by superdeportes. Fans accepted the fact and were prepared to see what he could do. Thousands showed up to his presentation and first open training session.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Pochetino didn't initially speak English and for a year or two gave interviews in Spanish in order to not get misinterpreted.

I think that while the language definitely helps, it isn't make or break.
He did. But he was confident and so wanted a translator so nothing came out the wrong way. His players said he communicated in English from day one.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Anytime he gives it the 'I'm not having it' stance in reference to anything about modern football he's going to sound like that annoying know-it-all uncle you ignore at family get together.

As I said before - he's intelligent in a raw sense but his book makes him out to be stubborn and fixed as they come.

He's not going to turn this around - he's flat out of his depth.
Good lesson for him this. Everyone always praised his punditry - I was never impressed. He always sounded one dimensional and set in his ways. Mocking other coaches and other playing styles and tactics because he thinks there's only one way to play football. I always thought he sounded niave and disrespectful. Maybe if he were more open minded and willing to learn the merits of different ways of doing things, he wouldn't be in this mess in the first place.

Frankly, another reason I'm so opposed to Giggs - the thought of a group of people who don't care to take new things on board, and are stuck in their ways, being in charge of United makes me ill. We would never move on.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
He hasn't won any matches with Valencia yet and this is what the league table looks like since he took over.

Him and Van Gaal are the two most luckiest managers to still be in a job right now.

At least with Van Gaal, you can say he has a track record and did decently with his club the season before.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Good lesson for him this. Everyone always praised his punditry - I was never impressed. He always sounded one dimensional and set in his ways. Mocking other coaches and other playing styles and tactics because he thinks there's only one way to play football. I always thought he sounded niave and disrespectful. Maybe if he were more open minded and willing to learn the merits of different ways of doing things, he wouldn't be in this mess in the first place.

Frankly, another reason I'm so opposed to Giggs - the thought of a group of people who don't care to take new things on board, and are stuck in their ways, being in charge of United makes me ill. We would never move on.
He's a magnificent pundit but there's a big difference between being a pundit and being a manager.

Needham

He's a magnificent pundit but there's a big difference between being a pundit and being a manager.
The words magnificent and pundit just don't go together. Because its a secondary, parasitic role. Players and managers can be magnificent. But not people who sit around watching and commenting. They can be articulate, even charismatic. But they are never magnificent.

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
You would hope that football clubs are not run by simplistic generalizing buffoons who go, "Two British managers were crap so we should just avoid all British managers."
Was thinking that.
Buckingham, Toshack, Venables, Robson all did OK.

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
Him and Van Gaal are the two most luckiest managers to still be in a job right now.

At least with Van Gaal, you can say he has a track record and did decently with his club the season before.
Big difference between Van Gaal in this comparison is that one team is 4 pts out of the relegation zone and the other is 6 pts from CL spot

Gentleman Jim

Supports
city
Why on earth was the previous manager sacked for being five points off the Champions League places? :houllier: Were there other factors?
They just seemed to have lost their discipline, very erratic and in November they had a disappointing draw at Mestalla against the awful Las Palmas followed by a meltdown performance at Sevilla.
Panic button pressed and Neville's in town.
Probably no point sacking another manager now, just see out the season and go again next time with a new boss (possibly Pellegrini).

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
They just seemed to have lost their discipline, very erratic and in November they had a disappointing draw at Mestalla against the awful Las Palmas followed by a meltdown performance at Sevilla.
Panic button pressed and Neville's in town.
Probably no point sacking another manager now, just see out the season and go again next time with a new boss (possibly Pellegrini).
They risk starting in the second division, if they let Gary stay.

Gentleman Jim

Supports
city
They risk starting in the second division, if they let Gary stay.
Agree but more disruption could have same result.
There may be a calm, old hand type of guy with an affinity to the club who's currently unemployed and would be happy to do a job for the remainder of the season and then step like Hiddinck at Chelsea but it seems a bigger risk to me.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

How do you even know that about Giggs :confused: ? There could be plenty or reasons for not wanting Giggs as our manager but that has got to be the weirdest one I've read.

Jazz

How do you even know that about Giggs :confused: ? There could be plenty or reasons for not wanting Giggs as our manager but that has got to be the weirdest one I've read.
What's weird about that? You see or hear him ever discussing anything other than what his mates all always spouting? Come on. Where else is he supposed to get any other knowledge when he won't cut the umbilical cord and leave United to add to his experiences?

kouroux

What's weird about that? You see or hear him ever discussing anything other than what his mates all always spouting? Come on. Where else is he supposed to get any other knowledge when he won't cut the umbilical cord and leave United to add to his experiences?
It is weird because you make an assumption based on a few things he says when we basically know feck all about him as a real coach. He may know a lot of things just as he may be really limited but I sure as hell ain't gonna make a presumption about him. When we'll see him as a coach (hopefully somewhere else than at Utd) then we'll know for sure.

Jazz

It is weird because you make an assumption based on a few things he says when we basically know feck all about him as a real coach. He may know a lot of things just as he may be really limited but I sure as hell ain't gonna make a presumption about him. When we'll see him as a coach (hopefully somewhere else than at Utd) then we'll know for sure.
Fine if you won't make a presumption about it, but as this is a speculative forum and I've never heard a damn thing from him that shows an ounce of the intelligence needed for a managerial role, I have a right to make an observation.

Let's agree to disagree.

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?
Nothing is as weird as Robbo saying he's our Guardiola, purely because he played under Fergie and that he was an international for Wales.

It's hard when people you admire and respect talk utter shite :(

kouroux

Fine if you won't make a presumption about it, but as this is a speculative forum and I've never heard a damn thing from him that shows an ounce of the intelligence needed for a managerial role, I have a right to make an observation.

Let's agree to disagree.
Let us indeed. I just find it unfair on Giggs, he gets criticized too easily on the caf.

Nothing is as weird as Robbo saying he's our Guardiola, purely because he played under Fergie and that he was an international for Wales.

It is hard, Guardiola is a one off. To use that example as some sort of template for rookie coaches is incredibly stupid IMHO, it'd be like hoping for young players to develop like Messi/Neymar etc etc ..

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan

Why is your opinion on this matter 'less shite' than our revered and legendary ex captain?

It's a serious question and I'm geninely interested

.Rossi

Why is your opinion on this matter 'less shite' than our revered and legendary ex captain?

You honestly think Ryan Giggs being an ex international for Wales has anything to do with what sort of manager he's going to become?

I know as much as you, (feck all) but, I know that Robbo was talking balls when he said that

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
The words magnificent and pundit just don't go together. Because its a secondary, parasitic role. Players and managers can be magnificent. But not people who sit around watching and commenting. They can be articulate, even charismatic. But they are never magnificent.
I agree. Football pundits are like accountants or lawyers. They do nothing except feast on others successes and failures.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks

If Robson said giggs could be our guardiola because he played for ferguson and was a Welsh international then he is talking rubbish. You can use that argument on quite a few players. Like the guy at valencia right now

Guardiola has been a huge exception it's stupid to think it will be easily replicated

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea

Because his opinion isn't based on irrelevant points.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
If Robson said giggs could be our guardiola because he played for ferguson and was a Welsh international then he is talking rubbish. You can use that argument on quite a few players. Like the guy at valencia right now

Guardiola has been a huge exception it's stupid to think it will be easily replicated
The guy at Valencia is a completely different situation: he is not at the club he played his entire career, in a new league and can't even speak the language.

If the guy at Valencia was managing Manchester United right now, I'm 100% certain he'd be doing better as he'd know the club, the league and it's players inside out.

Sorry but that is a rubbish comparison

.Rossi

The guy at Valencia is a completely different situation: he is not at the club he played his entire career, in a new league and can't even speak the language.

If the guy at Valencia was managing Manchester United right now, I'm 100% certain he'd be doing better as he'd know the club, the league and it's players inside out.

David Moyes knew the league and it's players inside out tbf....

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks

Back the original point, playing for Ferguson and being a Welsh international = new guardiola. Not hard to see why it is a shit argument

Enigma_87

You know who

I don't think Giggs would cope with managing a top side right off the bat. There are a lot of reasons why Guardiola was successful at Barca and this can be seen easily with Enrique.

Neville punched above his weight there a bit like making the move from football manager to real life coaching. Neville might have the ideas and the reading of the game but the hardest part is instilling his ideas into the team and players. What made Fergie a great manager is mainly man management, which I don't think either Neville or Giggs have it in them.

Of course we're yet to see how Giggs does but I'd want to see him at another side first.

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea
Who defines relevance and irrelevance?

If it's you, on what grounds?
Generally common sense and the ability to discern what is appropriate from what isn't. You know, the things that make us human.

Being Welsh and playing under a manager are not relevant points for what makes a good manager.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots

Come on Sammy; you're on a hiding to nothing here. There is literally no legitimate argument in favour of Giggs unless you're a moron or Holt. Or Twiggie.

Whether he knows the club or the league. . he hasn't even managed a bloody U11s youth side let alone a adult 11 aside team outside of 4 compensation games where nothing was riding on them. That is pathetic experience. . most of us on the Caf have more management experience than that - I know I do and I'm just 26. He has no excuse. . needs to get off his arse and get a proper job rather than leech off his playing reputation.

Zidane, Enrique and Pep all coached a side before getting the big job and learnt how to handle a team over a season. Not 4 fecking games. It is bullshit and that is why the Neville thing is so relevant.

Neville should have tried a smaller english club or a youth team and then got the Valencia role.. that is why he is struggling. That said.. he'll be better for the experience and will at least have 6 months under his belt. Giggs will still have none.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Gary Neville could be manager of a club that loses a two legged semi final either by 10 goals or conceding more than 10 over both matches. I wonder how often that has happened.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
What does knowing the club actually mean in practical terms? What materially important information would Neville/Giggs know about us that a quality manager wouldn't pick up within a year, say?

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
What does knowing the club actually mean in practical terms? What materially important information would Neville/Giggs know about us that a quality manager wouldn't pick up within a year, say?
It's one of those ''qualities'' that has grown legs with this Giggs stuff. Knowing the club and being able to run it are two different very things.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
A friend once told me that Andre Villas Boas was only successful at Porto because he knew the club from top to bottom and had worked under the Mourinho regime. I don't know enough about Porto to say whether this is true but his time at Porto was far more successful than anything he's done since, so I'm wondering was having worked at the club for several years the biggest factor in his success?

I'm not implying Ryan Giggs or Gary Neville are the next Villas Boas before anyone jumps down my throat.