Gary Neville has been appointed as Head Coach of Valencia until the end of the season.

acnumber9

Well said, especially the last bit. You just can't go and take on people's investment without giving it proper thought and respect. It's not like he's desperate for a job and needs to earn a living - he has choices - unlike most people in the world.
I'm sure he did. The same way any manager would. The analysis into everything these people do is ridiculous. He was offered a temporary job and it was a great opportunity. Save judgement on his decision making process until you're faced with the same temptation.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Seriously? How about ANY managerial experience and knowing the language, for a start?

Not a word of Spanish, no experience at all in club management and no La Liga experience.

Are you arguing he is qualified for the job?
You're having a mare here.

Pochettino starting coaching at Southampton despite knowing how to speak English first, he needed a translator. Guardiola did not need managerial experience in the lower leagues before taking helm at Barcelona (if you tell me right now that you thought Guardiola would be a success at Barcelona, you're a liar).

My point is, this has gone tits up, and the odds were against Gary from the beginning, BUT that in no way indicates he did anything wrong by accepting the role. Not knowing the language, or not having any prior experience, have been proven to not matter when selecting candidates. As far as UEFA, Lim, and Valencia's board were concerned, he bloody well was qualified for the job. Shame he couldn't get a final consultation from us 'tards on the Caf.

adexkola

Supports
I could extend that to Giggs as well. Even if I believe he is better off not being our manager, since there are more qualified and interested candidates than him, if our board was that useless that he was offered/promised a role after Van Gaal, why the feck wouldn't he take the role? Because of us critics?

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

Pochettino starting coaching at Southampton despite knowing how to speak English first, he needed a translator. Guardiola did not need managerial experience in the lower leagues before taking helm at Barcelona (if you tell me right now that you thought Guardiola would be a success at Barcelona, you're a liar).

My point is, this has gone tits up, and the odds were against Gary from the beginning, BUT that in no way indicates he did anything wrong by accepting the role. Not knowing the language, or not having any prior experience, have been proven to not matter when selecting candidates. As far as UEFA, Lim, and Valencia's board were concerned, he bloody well was qualified for the job. Shame he couldn't get a final consultation from us 'tards on the Caf.
Pochettino had a previous coaching job before joining Southampton, Guardiola was already inside the Barca system and was coaching the youth team. Both of them had a bigger experience than Neville and were definitely more ready than him. Neville had what when he went to Valencia ? Basically nothing.

adexkola

Supports
Pochettino had a previous coaching job before joining Southampton, Guardiola was already inside the Barca and was coaching the youth teams. Both of them had a bigger experience than Neville and were definitely more ready than him.
Pochettino failed miserably at Espanyol prior to his role at Southampton. If he had a discussion with Nutz, the consensus would have been that he should go to League 1 to redeem himself.

That has nothing to do with my point (which is not arguing that Gary was a great decision). I'm saying that the criteria that Nutz put down as necessary have never really applied to managers. Many managers have walked into positions that we would deem them as "unqualified" for. Some have done well, some have failed. Neville falls in the latter category of course. Plus, this idea that Neville should have declined the role is stupid as well.

And if we honestly have this discussion, do you think manager/first coach position filling in football is completely meritorious and transparent? Nepotism exists at all levels. But Gary is supposed to decline a job offer providing him an entrance into coaching at a high level?

Treble

Pochettino failed miserably at Espanyol prior to his role at Southampton. If he had a discussion with Nutz, the consensus would have been that he should go to League 1 to redeem himself.

That has nothing to do with my point (which is not arguing that Gary was a great decision). I'm saying that the criteria that Nutz put down as necessary have never really applied to managers. Many managers have walked into positions that we would deem them as "unqualified" for. Some have done well, some have failed. Neville falls in the latter category of course. Plus, this idea that Neville should have declined the role is stupid as well.

And if we honestly have this discussion, do you think manager/first coach position filling in football is completely meritorious and transparent? Nepotism exists at all levels. But Gary is supposed to decline a job offer providing him an entrance into coaching at a high level?

He had some success at Espanyol, especially in the first two seasons. Otherwise, he wouldn't have managed there for 3 years.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Why are they the only two options? Valencia or media?

Why couldn't he start at a modest but respectable level, in a country where he speaks the language, and build a decent reputation from there?

Takes more guts to turn an offer down, and you're showing a lot more respect to the club and its fans of you do turn it down knowing you're not ready.
Because they are the options he had. One was the job he had. The other was the job he was offered. I'm not aware of any other offers he had, so I've not taken anything else in to account.

When would he ever be ready for management if he's never managed? A manager with experience is preferable, but a manager has to gain that experience somehow. He's got himself the coaching qualifications, so he himself must have felt ready to make a start on it. Working with his brother, working beneath an owner he has a relationship with, most probably an attractive salary and the resources to push towards the Champions League places; it's a good opportunity, but a very difficult one.

I guess we will agree to disagree, but I commend his decision to take on such a difficult challenge. It's not worked out for him as yet, and quite possibly won't at all, but he wasn't to know that. Neither were the posters in this thread. Look at the first few pages. Before he'd even overseen a game as manager, people were saying "Future United manager :drool::drool:" and whatnot. He was expected to do well.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks

Are you sure about the espanyol thing? I had read he had done well there

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

Pretty sure he did. He just refused to speak to the media in English. The Southampton players mentioned it iirc.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

I'm not entering your debate with the other poster. Just saying that the examples you mentioned aren't really close to Neville's current situation. Pochettino might have had a bad time or not in Spain but there is always a lot of experience to gain from it and it surely helped in his other jobs. Obviously there is no evidence as I haven't done any research but it wouldn't surprise to see inexperienced managers struggling badly in their first (and at the same big) job more often than them succeeding. Managing is a very tough job, Neville would have been stupid to decline IMHO and if some blame is to laid then really the people who hired should be the ones responsible. It was a risky and stupid decision from them.

Nuts

Don't agree, sorry. Lim is a banker who made many millions very quick. His super agent mate has bought all his players in and the end result is an unbalanced mess of a squad. Lim's connection to Neville is that he has invested in his businesses - his hotels, his restaurants and his reality tv/team owner project at Salford FC.

None of that means Neville should have been offered the job. The whole project threatens to disrespect the game, and certainly makes Neville look stupid.

He's not earnt this opportunity through any decent work anywhere, it's come from his pathetic business connections.

What the hell does that have to do with Pochetino? Or Guardiola?

Guardiola must be laughing himself silly at the amateurish go Neville's had. Let's face it, the Guardiola 'sabbatical' in New York to learn English must have already been preparation for the City job (they even have a NYC connection) and his preparation levels are notorious. Neville has done some media work and opened a restaurant.

It belies his own experience in the game, and makes an absolute mockery of Valencia's status and history, and their fan base.

adexkola

Supports

He had some success at Espanyol, especially in the first two seasons. Otherwise, he wouldn't have managed there for 3 years.
And was let go by them in his third season. Apologies if I'm not too enthused about it. When Southampton let Atkins go for Pochettino there was an uproar. They were proven right in their decision, but let's not pretend at the time that any of us would have thought he was "qualified", or whatever the feck that means.

Are you sure about the espanyol thing? I had read he had done well there
Did ok. Midtable finishes in the first 2 seasons, let go in the third season after a bad run.

Pretty sure he did. He just refused to speak to the media in English. The Southampton players mentioned it iirc.
I'm positive there are examples of other managers going elsewhere where communication with the players will be a problem. This is not a hard criteria that is enforced.

I'm not entering your debate with the other poster. Just saying that the examples you mentioned aren't really close to Neville's current situation. Pochettino might have had a bad time or not in Spain but there is always a lot of experience to gain from it and it surely helped in his other jobs. Obviously there is no evidence as I haven't done any research but it wouldn't surprise to see inexperienced managers struggling badly in their first (and at the same big) job more often than them succeeding. Managing is a very tough job, Neville would have been stupid to decline IMHO and if some blame is to laid then really the people who hired should be the ones responsible. It was a risky and stupid decision from them.
Maybe that is the kickoff Neville needs :-)

Otherwise I agree with your post.

adexkola

Supports
Don't agree, sorry. Lim is a banker who made many millions very quick. His super agent mate has bought all his players in and the end result is an unbalanced mess of a squad. Lim's connection to Neville is that he has invested in his businesses - his hotels, his restaurants and his reality tv/team owner project at Salford FC.
Yeah I'm sure it was only the connection.

None of that means Neville should have been offered the job. The whole project threatens to disrespect the game, and certainly makes Neville look stupid.
You can make an argument for saying Neville shouldn't have been offered the job. This has nothing to do with whether he should have taken it or not.

He's not earnt this opportunity through any decent work anywhere, it's come from his pathetic business connections.
And now we're back to the whole "what qualifies as sufficient experience to manage Valencia". You should upload a copy of the requirements when you have time.

What the hell does that have to do with Pochetino? Or Guardiola?

Guardiola must be laughing himself silly at the amateurish go Neville's had. Let's face it, the Guardiola 'sabbatical' in New York to learn English must have already been preparation for the City job (they even have a NYC connection) and his preparation levels are notorious. Neville has done some media work and opened a restaurant.
You really don't get it, do you?

It belies his own experience in the game, and makes an absolute mockery of Valencia's status and history, and their fan base.
Next you'll be telling me LVG made an absolute mockery of our history and status by accepting the role of Manchester United manager.

Nuts

Yeah I'm sure it was only the connection.

You can make an argument for saying Neville shouldn't have been offered the job. This has nothing to do with whether he should have taken it or not.

And now we're back to the whole "what qualifies as sufficient experience to manage Valencia". You should upload a copy of the requirements when you have time.

You really don't get it, do you?

Next you'll be telling me LVG made an absolute mockery of our history and status by accepting the role of Manchester United manager.
My argument is that it shouldn't have been offered or accepted.

Are you arguing that Neville is sufficiently qualified to go straight into that situation in La Liga at a club that big?

If so, what are his qualifications?

As for the Lim connection, what other connection are you implying they have? It's a strong connection based, until now, on his investing in Neville's businesses.

Boycott

Yeah I agree. I didn't think he would set the world alight, but I certainly expected him to do a bit better than he is. If he gets sacked, and he goes back to being a pundit, I wonder if his insight will change.
It's interesting that United and all those associated carried a bastion of longevity but since SAF quit, maybe all along we were just in an idealistic bubble that was bound to burst when the he retired.

SAF always spoke about players doing their apprenticeship from the ground up, earning the right to get the top flight jobs rather than using their name to get their foot in the door. Moyes who embodied that failed and now SAF has since advocated Giggs which goes against all he preached.

Brown Toothpick

Supports
FC Barcelona
Using Pochettino and Guardiola as examples really don't help your argument, tbf. Neville not knowing Spanish, with no prior experience, must be frustrating and hard to swallow for the Valencia fans. You can't really blame them for seeing him just as an unqualified guy who knew a guy to get the job.

Last edited:

prarek

I was really impressed when Guardiola conducted his very first Bayern press conference in German. I don't speak German so can't say how good he was but the very fact that he could form sentences and understand the questions impressed me greatly. Meanwhile we have Phil Neville still saying Buenos Noches (should be buenas, feminine) after months of lessons. That's a day one spanish lesson and its so much easier to write than talk.

adexkola

Supports
My argument is that it shouldn't have been offered or accepted.

Are you arguing that Neville is sufficiently qualified to go straight into that situation in La Liga at a club that big?

If so, what are his qualifications?

As for the Lim connection, what other connection are you implying they have? It's a strong connection based, until now, on his investing in Neville's businesses.
It probably shouldn't have been offered. Once it was offered, Neville accepting it isn't a travesty. He thought he could do it. The board thought he could do it. Simple.

For the last time, I'm bringing up Pochettino and Guardiola as examples of managers who at some point were hired despite their qualifications that would have been rejected as not good enough by conventional wisdom. Let's not pretend as if there is some science to this craft, is all I'm saying. I'm not trying to say Neville has the managerial pedigree of Pochettino or Guardiola's toenail.

Last edited:

Nuts

It probably shouldn't have been offered. Once it was offered, Neville accepting it isn't a travesty. He thought he could do it. The board thought he could do it. Simple.
Er, it's not. With an owner like Lim there's no guarantee its a board decision.

Answer the question: what qualified Neville to be given the job?

adexkola

Supports

nick2004

Can you imagine what would happen if our next manager is a former Spanish player, who has never played outside Spain, never managed any team anywhere, and doesn't speak any English?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
How the hell do you know?

I said that earlier. The UEFA Pro License. He either has one, or is on his way to getting one. Beyond that, what qualifications should he have, and where is that listed?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Pro_Licence
Come on, you know that it's not enough qualification to have that job, Valencia are contenders for a CL spot.

Nuts

How the hell do you know?

I said that earlier. The UEFA Pro License. He either has one, or is on his way to getting one. Beyond that, what qualifications should he have, and where is that listed?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Pro_Licence
Um, how about plenty of decent managerial experience, hell, maybe even some success, and the ability to communicate in Spanish?

Do you need that in list form?

adexkola

Supports
Come on, you know that it's not enough qualification to have that job, Valencia are contenders for a CL spot.
There is no method to this madness of selecting managers. It's the direct opposite of a meritocracy. You tell me, what job did Neville qualify for, pre-Valencia?

Um, how about plenty of decent managerial experience, hell, maybe even some success, and the ability to communicate in Spanish?

Do you need that in list form?
Yes please. Times New Roman, 11 pt. Oh, put dots next to the items. The deputy loves dots.

Nuts

There is no method to this madness of selecting managers. It's the direct opposite of a meritocracy. You tell me, what job did Neville qualify for, pre-Valencia?.
I'll tell you. Preston North End, Oldham - something along those lines. Why would he be afraid of dropping to that level of he was any good?

adexkola

Supports
I'll tell you. Preston North End, Oldham - something along those lines. Why would he be afraid of dropping to that level of he was any good?
What qualifies him for those positions? Wouldn't a manager of... *looks up club in West Midlands League* Dudley Town be more qualified?

And isn't that logic patronizing to the fans of Preston North End?

"Oh right, the fans of Valencia deserve much better than this charlatan. Preston North End? They should be honored to have this same guy walk in and manage them"

clarkydaz

Can you imagine what would happen if our next manager is a former Spanish player, who has never played outside Spain, never managed any team anywhere, and doesn't speak any English?
our very likely next manager wasn't even a footballer :D

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
There is no method to this madness of selecting managers. It's the direct opposite of a meritocracy. You tell me, what job did Neville qualify for, pre-Valencia?
Typically Championship or PL bottom half. But not a European team.

Nuts

What qualifies him for those positions? Wouldn't a manager of... *looks up club in West Midlands League* Dudley Town be more qualified?

And isn't that logic patronizing to the fans of Preston North End?

"Oh right, the fans of Valencia deserve much better than this charlatan. Preston North End? They should be honored to have this same guy walk in and manage them"
It's at least a recognised career path. He knows English football, has contacts and knowledge that would be of benefit, no pressure to qualify for Europe etc None of that applies to the Valencia job.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Pochettino had three and a half good seasons at Espanyol, despite them being a selling club, they outperformed their wages budget to finish comfortably mid-table. He was well respected in Spain, viewed as a rising star. It went wrong in his final half season and he and the DoF ended up leaving. Failed miserably? By Espanyol standards he did fine and he survived for 4 years at a club where managers average about 18 months. There was a good reason why Southampton were quick to hire him.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
Gary Neville reflected on his first job in club management. ‘Whatever happens in this next five months, people will want to put the word failure or success at the end of this,’ he said. ‘But I will put the words experience and lessons at the end of it, I think.’

And good luck with that. For while it was most certainly an experience when the seventh Barcelona goal went in at the Nou Camp on Wednesday, and while there are certainly lessons to be learned from the most sobering experience of his brief coaching career, Neville is unlikely to avoid the black and white judgment he clearly finds so gauche.

There is a moment when football stops being an exercise in theory, and it has been reached at Valencia. The club weren’t doing well when Neville arrived, but they weren’t doing as badly as they are now, and the alarming nature of the slump makes it unhealthy to continue with unquantifiable means of assessment.

Experience? Lessons? Neville is merely considering his own career with those evaluations. Valencia must work with other means of measurement. Points. Position. Aggregate score. This is the reality of football, and it makes the difference between success and failure rather more obvious.

At the moment, Neville is failing. He is failing because his team have not won a league game while he has been manager, and have just suffered their worst defeat in 23 years, and their worst in the Copa del Rey in 88 years.

They are failing because Valencia were eighth when Neville took charge and are now 12th.

They are failing because Valencia have now lost their first league game at home since 2014 — and to Sporting Gijon, who are 16th, a point off the relegation places.

They are failing because when Neville arrived Valencia were well-positioned enough for him to speak of qualifying for next season’s Champions League — and now the team are five points from relegation.

And, of course, there are mitigating circumstances. There are always explanations for failure, and many stretch far beyond the remit of the manager. Squads are poorly balanced, investment is random, injury lists are debilitating.

Valencia can’t get two strikers fit and have bought with the clarity of every struggling club. Yet that does not change the fact that games against Rayo Vallecano, Real Sociedad, Getafe and Gijon would all be considered winnable, and Valencia haven’t won any of them.

And while this is bad news for Neville, it is not particularly encouraging for English football, either.

England, and the Football Association, has a lot invested in Neville. He is Roy Hodgson’s assistant and, some feel, potentially his successor.

Neville plays this down, but if Hodgson remains England manager after the European Championship — with the bar, as ever, set so low he can barely fail to clear it — then the FA will not need to make an appointment until after the 2018 World Cup. By which time, it is to be hoped, Neville will have served his apprenticeship.

So to have stage one of that learning process go so grotesquely wrong, really isn’t in the script. As much as he is an admired voice in the game, there will be no great appetite for an England coach whose club experience was little short of traumatic.

It is not only Neville who will wish for his time in Spain to be judged using incalculable methodology if this run continues.

And that is the FA policy. Since Hodgson has been in charge, there has been a movement away from traditional evaluations — results, tournament progress — into yet more theory.

England are the best prepared team at a World Cup, or have a training camp that is second to none. We want credit for the things a football team are supposed to do; putting on a good session, getting the logistics right.

Alex Horne, the former general secretary, said that Hodgson had succeeded merely by qualifying for the 2014 World Cup, and Greg Dyke, the chairman, guaranteed his job within minutes of England’s exit after two games.

Expectations have been lowered to the extent that it is now considered crass to set a target that can be specifically measured. ‘The idea of saying, “It has to be the semis, the quarters”, we’ve gone past that,’ said Neville recently, as if these current woolly overviews were the height of sophistication.

Yet, as he is finding at Valencia, the old rules hold true for many. Shipping seven goals at Barcelona, or going eight games without a win in La Liga, is regarded as failure. Neville can still have his experience but his hosts are entitled to be unimpressed.

This is not England. In Spain, they still keep score.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...ining-experience-Valencia-simply-failing.html