Gary Neville - Pundit

Acole9

Outstanding
He terrorised our CB's, was the biggest handful on the entire pitch in both teams. Not really that baffling. He was the only danger. Who else should have got it?
I thought so too. This place is getting worse by the day.

I think people forget Neville is working for Sky not MUTV. I'd much rather listen to him with a balanced view rather than just praise everything we do.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout

I think people forget Neville is working for Sky not MUTV. I'd much rather listen to him with a balanced view rather than just praise everything we do.
Agreed. Feels like a few people would just have constantly praise everything we're doing!

And even if he is a bit unbalanced.... who cares?!

BR7

He's right though! Lindelof got ''mauled'', but there's NO WAY Bailly's getting ''mauled'' like that!
I mean the clue is in the word, being mauled means being manhandled, foul..... but little G can’t do the right thing. Carragher can spit on a united fan and not worry, little Gary is too scared to say what’s right when united are involved. It’s a foul all day long, how many times do forwards go down when jumping for a keepers kick and the CB has hardly touched him? That is a foul in any century of the game

Bobski

It is embarrassingly needy, Paddy Crerand would probably be too impartial for some on here as well.

Chairman Steve

He is shit scared of being accused of being Utd biased. An opposing player could scythe through one of our players legs and have it dangling off their pelvis, and our Gary would say it was a soft foul and the Utd player went down a little easy.

Last edited:

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.

Think he's bang on.
I can't believe he thinks Lindelof is good. A guy that played alongside some of our best ever centre backs.

We don't concede many goals because Lindelof and Maguire get done for pace in open play. We concede a lot of goals because Lindelof is weak in the challenge, particularly in the air.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
I can't believe he thinks Lindelof is good. A guy that played alongside some of our best ever centre backs.

We don't concede many goals because Lindelof and Maguire get done for pace in open play. We concede a lot of goals because Lindelof is weak in the challenge, particularly in the air.
Only Lindelof huh ? :lol:

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks

Think he's bang on.
He is but its nothing new. They don't compliment eachother but both work well with a fit Baily.
We need to find a player with similar attributes to Baily but one who fundamentally stays fit.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time

Unfortunately he tries so hard to not be pro-Utd that he ends up being anti-Utd far too often. He overcompensates. And that then sets the trend because if even a commentator you would think is pro-Utd is saying it then it must be true.

Bulldog United

Nobody expects him to behave like a myopic fan when he's commentating but I think the point most of us are making is that, in an effort to show how neutral he is, he calls every decision against United.

I can't recall a single 50:50 call he's made for United during live games. Even Graham Souness can see that decisions go against United some of the time.
I agree on the 50/50 calls he tends to side with the opposition most of the time. I feel Carragher is the same when Liverpool are playing. I think they both see those 50/50 calls as an opportunity to show they are fair and unbiased during their commentary stints. It's worked well for them since fans of rivals clubs both praise them in the comments on the YouTube videos (I've seen United fans praising Carragher, and Liverpool fans praising Neville the pundit).

Neville isn't doing it because he "WAS a red", as the provocative threat title currently says... and successfully baited me in. ;)

RedDevil@84

Wow Neville being pro english yet again :rolleyes:
To be fair, he calls Maguire slow and struggling in one on one defense or when ball is played behind him. He does say Maguire is an 80M asset. So for that reason, it is Lindelof who will have to take the blow. If Lindelof was paired with someone like Van Djik, he would be very good. Because he is very intelligent and makes good passes.

That is a far cry than the majority here who are absolutely convinced Lindelof is an idiot, while Maguire is so good.

PS: Unless of course you are being sarcastic.

Last edited:

passing-wind

To his credit he hadn't got carried away with United being top. He's played in good teams playing well and can recognize United are not playing well and we have chanced our way so far along with playing well in little pieces.

He does try a bit too hard trying to be impartial with decisions though but it's tough love until we can be worthy of defending or praising.
He has correctly reinstated the point you've made in bold throughout the months. I don't keenly listen to Gary's commentary but his post / pre match comments are usually spot on. I've no idea the hate he gets some of the messages he's given about the direction of this team and where Ole stands, some of the more 'Ole or nothing' fans need to hear.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United

Think he's bang on.
The problem with Lindelof is Lindelof and the problem with Maguire is Maguire. The former is slow, he's shit in air, he's got little positioning, no leadership and quite frankly he's not a good CB. Maguire is good in air but he's shit on everything else I've mentioned before. I can't believe we spent 110m on the pair. They make Ronnie Johnsen (not Stam, not Rio, not Vidic) look like Baresi on steroids.

Once Gaz mentioned Van Dijk and Rio as the level of CBs that need to be played alongside Maguire/Lindelof then he lost his argument. FFS even Jones would look better alongside one of those players. If we signed prime Rio or Van Dijk then they will be covering for rather then complimenting Maguire/Lindelof. Players should compliment one another rather then carrying them.

Last edited:

Borussia Teeth

He is but its nothing new. They don't compliment eachother but both work well with a fit Baily.
We need to find a player with similar attributes to Baily but one who fundamentally stays fit.
Lindeloff and Bailly doesn't work! We've seen this. Both poor in the air.

Lentwood

I would agree with this. Maguire's lack of pace is constantly highlighted but it this actually a significant contributor to the goals we concede?

I would say far more of our goals are conceded as a result of De Gea and Lindelof being uncertain when high balls come into the box. Let's face it, this is the only way most of the bottom half are going to score a goal and we get done time and time again.

Just going back to the Gary Neville criticism...he mentions the CBs don't push up....how can they when De Gea sticks to his line like a table football GK! If they start pushing up that means De Gea has to be much more aggressive with his starting position and I can't see that happening

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
This is the full quote regarding the Maguire/Lindelof pairing and I think it's an excellent point from the best pundit on the telly. Many of those attacking him also have a go at other pundits for being to biased towards their former teams. Not sure how you can have it both ways. Of course, I disagree with Gary sometimes (it was a foul on Victor every day of the week), but would I sit and listen to him or would I prefer Souness, Hoddle and Richards... no contest

"Lindelof's problem is Maguire and Maguire's problem is Lindelof. I think if you put Lindelof alongside Van Dijk at Liverpool, I think he's a really good player. He understands the game, he reads the game, he's a good defender. If he was alongside a Ferdinand or a Van Dijk, I think he'd make a great pair. The problem is he alongside somebody who's not the most mobile in Harry Maguire.

"The problem Lindelof has got is they've invested £80m on Maguire so they're going to have to put someone alongside him"

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
I would agree with this. Maguire's lack of pace is constantly highlighted but it this actually a significant contributor to the goals we concede?

I would say far more of our goals are conceded as a result of De Gea and Lindelof being uncertain when high balls come into the box. Let's face it, this is the only way most of the bottom half are going to score a goal and we get done time and time again.

Just going back to the Gary Neville criticism...he mentions the CBs don't push up....how can they when De Gea sticks to his line like a table football GK! If they start pushing up that means De Gea has to be much more aggressive with his starting position and I can't see that happening
We'd win more games with another centre back dominant in both boxes than we would with a speed merchant many are clamouring for.

Stones and Dias aren't quick but they have Ederson covering them and Rodrigo parked in front.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
This is the full quote regarding the Maguire/Lindelof pairing and I think it's an excellent point from the best pundit on the telly. Many of those attacking him also have a go at other pundits for being to biased towards their former teams. Not sure how you can have it both ways. Of course, I disagree with Gary sometimes (it was a foul on Victor every day of the week), but would I sit and listen to him or would I prefer Souness, Hoddle and Richards... no contest

"Lindelof's problem is Maguire and Maguire's problem is Lindelof. I think if you put Lindelof alongside Van Dijk at Liverpool, I think he's a really good player. He understands the game, he reads the game, he's a good defender. If he was alongside a Ferdinand or a Van Dijk, I think he'd make a great pair. The problem is he alongside somebody who's not the most mobile in Harry Maguire.

"The problem Lindelof has got is they've invested £80m on Maguire so they're going to have to put someone alongside him"
That's absolutely a fair assessment from Gaz.

GMoore23

De Gea is the biggest problem. Our defenders will look better with a commanding GK behind them.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Neville is absolutely correct in his assessment that Maguire, Lindelof, and de Gea are not good enough to win you the title.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I know you're only being sarcastic, but there are idiots out there who actually believe this.
He is slightly biased but i don't see what is a problem there (while it is on normal level). He is English, United is English club in English league. Of course that he cares a little more for domestic player. Again, while it is not over the top, it is normal. All pundits are biased in all countries

Lentwood

We'd win more games with another centre back dominant in both boxes than we would with a speed merchant many are clamouring for.

Stones and Dias aren't quick but they have Ederson covering them and Rodrigo parked in front.
Yeah I agree, if we’re constantly chasing back towards our own goal or being done by the ball over the top/in-behind then there's far more to that than whether the CBs have “pace” or not.

Change the GK and put another built-for-the-PL CB next to Maguire and I’m sure we would be fine

bsCallout

To be fair, he calls Maguire slow and struggling in one on one defense or when ball is played behind him. He does say Maguire is an 80M asset. So for that reason, it is Lindelof who will have to take the blow. If Lindelof was paired with someone like Van Djik, he would be very good. Because he is very intelligent and makes good passes.

That is a far cry than the majority here who are absolutely convinced Lindelof is an idiot, while Maguire is so good.

PS: Unless of course you are being sarcastic.
I usually read comments before seeing who wrote them. I always know when it is you. :lol:

lsd

The Oracle

I would say in the majority of goals we have conceded Maguire is out of position

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Maguire looks an infinitely more assured defender when paired with Bailly, as they complement each other well. Trouble is Bailly can't stay fit long enough to cement his place in the starting eleven. Shame really as he's undoubtedly a talented player.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Neville's bang on theres really not a lot between Maguire and Lindelof but Maguire is probably marginally better and cost triple the amount so he has to play. Lindelof would be a perfectly fine number 2 CB at any club in the PL

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Maguire is a quality defender. He reads the game better than most, strong in the challenge and brilliant in the air. His natural leadership abilities cannot be ignored either. His only issue is a lack of mobility owing to his large frame, which is a huge downfall in the modern game unfortunately. Plus he cost a fortune so he's always going to be first choice.

He needs a natural athlete alongside him, though, someone with pace and mobility. Bailly has that in abundance, but that injury record...

Jamie Shawcross

How can anyone dislike Red Nev!
I don't dislike Neville, and hes a solid pundit but as a United fan it irritates my how he shows his impartiality by being too harsh on us at every given opportunity. I am not saying hes never right, but there are a lot of times hes overly harsh when i don't think it is entirely warranted. I posted the OP and I kinda regret it now, I was passionate at the time of posting it. I don't dislike him, and the thread title is strong to say the least, I just don't like his style at the best of times.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I don't dislike Neville, and hes a solid pundit but as a United fan it irritates my how he shows his impartiality by being too harsh on us at every given opportunity. I am not saying hes never right, but there are a lot of times hes overly harsh when i don't think it is entirely warranted. I posted the OP and I kinda regret it now, I was passionate at the time of posting it. I don't dislike him, and the thread title is strong to say the least, I just don't like his style at the best of times.
Just has a difficult job really doesn't he.

He's similar to Carragher. Everyone knows who they support, but they simply wouldn't last long if they just did the class clown act Ian Wright does on the BBC, with all the "we" business, and not even pretending to be balanced.

arnie_ni

Maguire is a quality defender. He reads the game better than most, strong in the challenge and brilliant in the air. His natural leadership abilities cannot be ignored either. His only issue is a lack of mobility owing to his large frame, which is a huge downfall in the modern game unfortunately. Plus he cost a fortune so he's always going to be first choice.

He needs a natural athlete alongside him, though, someone with pace and mobility. Bailly has that in abundance, but that injury record...
He has the turning circle artic lorry