Gary Neville - Pundit

He'sRaldo

Pretty impressive how Celsea and Liverpool with absolutely no depth suddenly have s better squad. The goal posts well and truly keep moving.
Ole has to challenge for the title or leave. No amount of gymnastics should change that.
We have literally signed Cristiano Ronaldo and still the excuses are there.

Unbelievable.

Red_toad

Anyone putting United above Chelsea and City as league favourites is soft in the head.
'If' we sign the elusive defensive midfielder and attacking right back, we'll certainly be a serious challenge. But as it stands right now, we're challenging for third in my opinion.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
I don’t think Lukaku’s a better player than Varane, Sancho or Ronaldo in general but he’s a more important signing for Chelsea than any of those for United purely because they won’t have to rely on Werner. It was their biggest weakness by far and they solved it. United still haven’t solved theirs, without solving the midfield I think you’ll finish third at best.

Even though you improved you might finish below where you finished last season because Chelsea and Liverpool will also be significantly better

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
I don't understand this post. Neville literally said signing Ronaldo gives us a chance at a title challenge, which is the same as you are saying here.
Nope, he said he was not changing his predictions about odds of who will win EPL based on us signing Ronaldo. He basically said Ronaldo signing didn't change anything. Which is bullshit and which he got laughed at for, by other people on that video. I am saying Ronaldo signing, while it cannot guarantee winning, changes EVERYTHING and drastically increases our odds. How are these two things the same?

NewGlory

Chelsea finished behind us because they had a misfiring Werner. Lukaku will be worth an extra glut of points. They bought what they needed.

Their defence is a worry admittedly. But they’ve got the best team and squad in the league along with City. Liverpool are above us too.
OMG, we just signed Sancho, Varane and goddamned Cristiano Ronaldo and you are still saying fecking Pool is above us? Seriously? The same Pool that couldn't score a goal against 10-men Chelsea, for 50 minutes today? That is some serious defeatist shit, mate. Sorry, but it really is

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Its his opinion. And we all know his opinion on predicting winners cannot be relied upon. Just like ours. He's trying to downplay it just as some of us downplay/overestimate the squad. But deep inside he want United to win the league for sure. Thats why I like to listen to Rio and Keane more because often times they speak plainly.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Nope, he said he was not changing his predictions about odds of who will win EPL based on us signing Ronaldo. He basically said Ronaldo signing didn't change anything.
That’s not what he said. He said signing Ronaldo puts United closer to Chelsea/City but not enough for him to think they’re favourites for the title ahead of either of them. Which I think most fans would agree with, not sure why so many are misunderstanding what he’s saying

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
How can anyone take him seriously at this point? He wrote Varane, Sancho and Kane would win the PL Title in the summer. Utd have gone on to sign Ronaldo who not only scores as much as Kane but is a born fecking winner. Something which Kane knows feck all about.

I mean less than 2 weeks ago when they were doing the Overlap Debate, he kept harping about Utd lacking a 30 goal a season CF to win the PL. Now, he’s backtracking. What a clown.

Funny how Hasselbaink asks him “So, what will win Utd the PL title then?”. Instead of answering the question, he turned it on Hasselbaink :lol:

NewGlory

That’s not what he said. He said signing Ronaldo puts United closer to Chelsea/City but not enough for him to think they’re favourites for the title ahead of either of them.

I think a lot of people are misunderstanding what he’s saying
Potato-potahto. Sure, signing Ronaldo at Man United doesn't put us above Chelsea, because Lukaku is such a world star! Haha! My God, our group psyche has really been depressed at United, in the last 8 years, hasn't it? Feck Chelsea and feck Tuchel, we are Man goddamn United, we have Ronaldo the GOAT and Pogba and Bruno and Varane and Sancho and Greenwood and De Gea and Maguire and Luke Shaw. And Garry Nevill talks out of his ass.

Suedesi

Gary Neville knows his onions, but he's not impartial. He's capable of delivering good analysis as long as he's not talking about his former mates, colleagues or friends.

United should win something important this year, else Ole should walk.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
I think Neville desperately wants Utd to win the league, of course he does. On the other hand, hes not going to come out and say Ole has to win it, because its his mate and he just will not criticise him, should he win nothing.... He's not going to say anything which leads to him having to criticise OGS is my point

I also dont think CR7 will win you the title, but of course youll be closer. I 100% think you should have gone for Kane instead though earlier in the window

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
Pretty impressive how Celsea and Liverpool with absolutely no depth suddenly have s better squad. The goal posts well and truly keep moving.
Ole has to challenge for the title or leave. No amount of gymnastics should change that.
You must be joking, you saying we have no squad depth?!

Tarrou

Agree with what he said - I don’t think we’ll win it either

City walked it last year and we still didn’t fix the midfield

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
He's going to give ole excuses as long as either of them have their current jobs.
absolutely. Not a chance in hell he is going to ever criticise OGS in public. Which is why he wont ever say "ole has to win something this year"

Red the Bear

Something less generic
While I get why everyone is critical of him saying Ronaldo will not change much and him subconsciously thinking ole is not up to the task and holding us back (perhaps true perhaps not we'll find out by the end of the season or maybe even sooner by December)this is the best answer he could give regarding our chances

Him openly coming out and putting us as the main title challengers would put massive strain on a young squad who are challenging for the first time (though presence of winners like Ronaldo and varane will be a massive help) and seeing as he's a former player who played with ole would only exacerbate the problem in the eyes of fans and the media

We don't know how young lads like Sancho would perform under scrutiny and pressure so its better not to risk it now

It will also cause outrage over ole with pitchforks coming out for every hiccup we may make during the season with is surely not conducive to a sustained title challenge

So whether he does it intentionally or not let's hope he keeps it that way (for now atleast)

Varun

Staff
I think Nev's a shit pundit when it comes to anything Utd or England but seeing the first 4mins of the video, what exactly did people find outrageous? Says Ronaldo brings us closer to the title, he desperately hopes we win but if he had to put his house on the line - he'd put it on City or Chelsea?

Is there seriously anyone here who has us favorites and gun to head, would put their house on us?

Dante

Average bang
Gary Neville is a horrible pundit. When Ronaldo comes to United (doesn't matter that he is 36, he is in the form of his life) - OBVIOUSLY he is coming to win everything that is there to win. Same for Varane. And with Ronaldo in the club he will demand the same from everybody else. So, yes - Ronaldo in the squad doesn't guarantee winning anything, but HELLS YES him coming and considering the rest of the squad we have, we are absolutely expected to fight for everything including EPL and UCL, no doubt about it.

Using "oh but Ole is a bad manager" as an excuse is bullshit. He is more than capable of winning any game. He has won games against Pep, against Tuchel (at star-filled PSG nonetheless) and everything in-between. Sure, he hasn't won any trophies but he didn't have a squad for trophies before. He does now, imperfect maybe because of missing DMF but still capable. If Ole doesn't win EPL or UCL in the next couple years - he should be fired, because you can't get a much better squad than what we have now. Pressure is on.
:lol: A horrible pundit... who you've then agreed with 100%.

Suedesi

I think Neville desperately wants Utd to win the league, of course he does. On the other hand, hes not going to come out and say Ole has to win it, because its his mate and he just will not criticise him, should he win nothing.... He's not going to say anything which leads to him having to criticise OGS is my point

I also dont think CR7 will win you the title, but of course youll be closer. I 100% think you should have gone for Kane instead though earlier in the window
I read this alot, and I don't know what it means - Levy is on record saying he won't sell to a domestic rival and he wouldn't even entertain offers of less than 160mm quid. What do you want us to do? Waste all summer with Levy for a player he won't at a price we won't conrtemplate. Your own club wouldn't go for Kane, who are you to say what United should have done? FFS

Mr Smith

:lol:

I'm legit wondering if people actually watched the video or just started going odd based on comments here
This.

Obviously he's struggling to be impartial here because Ole is his mate, and I do think in general he's a bit of a pessimist, so continuing to hedge his bets shouldn't really surprise anyone.

Their league position is a bit meaningless given the difference in results after they changed managers.

They've got 44 points (2.1ppg) since then, behind only City (48, 2.3), and ahead of United (38, 1.9) and Liverpool (39, 1.9). They also happened to beat City thrice and win the CL in that period. They're - correctly - in the conversation.

2.1 points per game is an 80 point season - not title winning, but not that far off. Especially given the defending champions haven't strengthened that much.
That post change points per game figure belies the truth though. They went on a brilliant run in the month after he joined, standard new manager bounce. The ppg went back to normal in the 10 or 15 games after that.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I just want people to admit the blantant truth here. Consciously or subconsciously, expectations are bing managed cause of who our manager is and I don't think that's acceptable. On Monday, Gary Neville said we would get 90-95 points guaranteed, if we signed Harry Kane cause he will get us 25-30 goals. We signed Cristiano Fecking Ronaldo and he says things are as they were.
The other point I want to make is that there's not much between the squads at the top. Sure we need a midifleder, Liverpool don't have any depth, City don't have a bloody striker and Chelsea while having depth in midfield, we are stronger in every other department. We like to make comments on our rivals squads. I was looking at our rivals forums last week. The unanimous opinion throughout was that they think the reason we won't challenge is because of our manager, they all admit we have a very strong squad. Won't get into a debate about the veracity of their argument but I am just trying to point out how people form opinions on the quality of the squad based on preconceived notions.
With the exception of City, the three of Chelsea, Liverpool and United should have similar aspirations for the title.

Last edited:

LuisNaniencia

Sky Sports called my bluff
Nope, he said he was not changing his predictions about odds of who will win EPL based on us signing Ronaldo. He basically said Ronaldo signing didn't change anything. Which is bullshit and which he got laughed at for, by other people on that video. I am saying Ronaldo signing, while it cannot guarantee winning, changes EVERYTHING and drastically increases our odds. How are these two things the same?
"Signing Ronaldo absolutely brings them closer to winning the title." He says it twice in a row. Would he be a better pundit in your eyes if he changed his predictions from City/Chelsea/United to United/City/Chelsea based on the Ronnie signing?

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I just want people to admit the blantant truth here. Consciously or subconsciously, expectations are bing managed cause of who our manager is and I don't think that's acceptable. On Monday, Gary Neville said we would get 90-95 points guaranteed, if we signed Harry Kane cause he will get us 25-30 goals. We signed Cristiano Fecking Ronaldo and he says things are as they were.
The other point I want to make is that there's not much between the squads at the top. Sire we need a midifleder, Liverpool don't have any depth, City don't have a bloody striker and Chelsea while having depth in midfield, we are stronger in every other department.
I agree. I was speaking to a Chelsea fan yesterday who said he thought we had the best 11 in the premier league with the additions we have made this summer and you know what he’s right. That Utd 11 on paper is ridiculously good, even with the weaker midfield options. The simple reality Is Ole has to deliver big time this season and finishing behind Chelsea and Liverpool would be a substantial failure which I don’t think we should accept!

Adisa

I agree. I was speaking to a Chelsea fan yesterday who said he thought we had the best 11 in the premier league with the additions we have made this summer and you know what he’s right. That Utd 11 on paper is ridiculously good, even with the weaker midfield options. The simple reality Is Ole has to deliver big time this season and finishing behind Chelsea and Liverpool would be a substantial failure which I don’t think we should accept!
I would even accept finishing fourth. I predicted fourth in the prediction thread.
What shouldn't be accepted is us going into the last few games of the season long way behind the title contenders with no chance of winning. This team should challenge.

Last edited:

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I would even accept finishing fourth. I predicted fourth in the prediction thread.
What shouldn't be accepted is us going into the last few games of the season long way behind the title contenders.l with no chance of winning. This team should challenge.
I don’t think there’s any scenario where 4th is acceptable this season, even if we are closer.

Marwood

I don’t think there’s any scenario where 4th is acceptable this season, even if we are closer.
Maybe if there's some freakish scenario where top 4 are all in contention in the last couple of weeks.

But apart from that agree. I love Ole but he has to challenge for league and go deep in ECL. The squad we have is now pretty amazing.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
I think Nev's a shit pundit when it comes to anything Utd or England but seeing the first 4mins of the video, what exactly did people find outrageous? Says Ronaldo brings us closer to the title, he desperately hopes we win but if he had to put his house on the line - he'd put it on City or Chelsea?

Is there seriously anyone here who has us favorites and gun to head, would put their house on us?
Yeah I am more than happy to criticise Neville but what has he done wrong now? We aren’t the favourites to win it and signing Ronaldo makes us stronger. All fair points.

Varun

Staff
The other point I want to make is that there's not much between the squads at the top. Sure we need a midifleder, Liverpool don't have any depth, City don't have a bloody striker and Chelsea while having depth in midfield, we are stronger in every other department. We like to make comments on our rivals squads. I was looking at our rivals forums last week. The unanimous opinion throughout was that they think the reason we won't challenge is because of our manager, they all admit we have a very strong squad. Won't get into a debate about the veracity of their argument but I am just trying to point out how people form opinions on the quality of the squad based on preconceived notions.
With the exception of City, the three of Chelsea, Liverpool and United should have similar aspirations for the title.
Don't think there's anything subconscious about it. To win the title, Ole needs to get the better of 2 of the best managers in the last decade or so and the top 2 in the world atm along with a 3rd manager who's absolutely brilliant himself. This will be true of any league where Pep and Klopp moved. Managers there would suddenly be up against insane quality and having a squad as good as them is no longer enough.

Why do you think people don't realize this? Are there a good chunk of posters who think Ole is as good as Pep and Klopp?

Zen86

Some people seem to think a 36 year old Ronaldo is a cheat code and the league should be a doddle. Our squad is now on a similar level to Liverpool, Chelsea, and City, except they’ve got a bit more recent experience of winning titles. We’re certainly not favourites.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
I feel like Neville wants to reserve expectations as to not put too much pressure on Ole, I think all the former United players now turned pundits do that. I'm not Ole out but surely with these signings there should be more expectation from our former players turned pundits. I mean a team that finished second last season that have added Ronaldo, Sancho and Varane should definitely be in the title race and in all honesty be expected to win. I think it's a bit hypocritical tbh as if Klopp, Mourinho, Pep and Tuchel managed this squad and failed to win the league it would definitely be deemed a failure.

Again, I get he doesn't wanna put pressure on Ole but in all honesty if we don't win anything this season serious questions need to be asked about his ability as a manager.
(I'm not Ole out and I do think he's done a wonderful job building this squad. He definitely deserves the chance to prove he can take us to the next level this season.)
I’m good with that analysis. Roll on the first real test, as someone might say

Adisa

Don't think there's anything subconscious about it. To win the title, Ole needs to get the better of 2 of the best managers in the last decade or so and the top 2 in the world atm along with a 3rd manager who's absolutely brilliant himself. This will be true of any league where Pep and Klopp moved. Managers there would suddenly be up against insane quality and having a squad as good as them is no longer enough.

Why do you think people don't realize this? Are there a good chunk of posters who think Ole is as good as Pep and Klopp?
You have made my point. The mental gymnastics about squads is simply that, gymnastics. With the exception of City, the other three squads are level. City's
isn't even perfect. The biggest difference between all the four contenders is that we have by some margin, the weakest coach and people are mentally accounting for it even of they refuse to admit it(including Neville). He will have to find it within himself to develop into a top coach.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
I like Gary. Lad has to earn a crust. United will win something this year. Maybe not the league, but something nice and tinny and shiny.