Gary Neville - Pundit

Irwin99

Not wrong in his analysis sadly, especially this bit:

"But anyone who has watched those Manchester United players he has been handed will recognise that is a familiar performance, and the people above him should have known that was an unacceptable situation to hand Erik ten Hag that squad

It needed improving more than it has been. There is still time in the window but he needed three or four weeks more to work with them".

https://www.skysports.com/football/...en-hags-first-game-ends-in-defeat-to-brighton

ThanksBoss26

"But anyone who has watched those Manchester United players he has been handed will recognise that is a familiar performance, and the people above him should have known that was an unacceptable situation to hand Erik ten Hag that squad

It needed improving more than it has been. There is still time in the window but he needed three or four weeks more to work with them".

https://www.skysports.com/football/...en-hags-first-game-ends-in-defeat-to-brighton
Yep he's bang on.

Godfather

He's spot on especially when he says that FdJ won't be anywhere near enough and that it's time for the Glazers to sell

Josh 76

The funniest thing was when he was asked about Utd bid for Arnautovic .

And he replied “no comment!”

Hahaha

Irwin99

That was one of the contradictory statements in this summer's PR moves from the club, that we were apparently putting an end to the survival culture at the club but we were also quick to remind everyone that these players finished second a year back so, you know, they're good lads really.

Six players that started today have been at the club for five years or more. When is it going to be the last straw for some of them?

Ted Lasso

Ole said it that first (half) season. Then had to keep mum and make do with patchwork.

Rangnick said it, made it a public issue. Was dismissed.

ETH seems to have felt the doom and gloom message from Rangnick was over the top. Will be interesting end of the transfer window and Jan window.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP

All true.

It was bizarre of United to go into this summer without any real plan to transform the squad.

RedDevilRoshi

All true.

It was bizarre of United to go into this summer without any real plan to transform the squad.
TBH is that anything new? When have we gone into a summer window with a real proper plan because this one feels just like the numerous summer transfer windows in the past?

It was just a bunch of PR bollocks we were feed by the club.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
Give some new players at least for eth to work with. There are lot of gems in 5-10 placed teams in most leagues. They may not be good in number but talent is there.

Dejong and few wingers who has pace and dribbling ability. Those players will give it all for club who knows some gems will arrive. May not need to break the bank.

Kag

He was spot on in his analysis today. Ten Hag has been let down horribly and I’m pleased this has been given airtime.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
TBH is that anything new? When have we gone into a summer window with a real proper plan because this one feels just like the numerous summer transfer windows in the past?

It was just a bunch of PR bollocks we were feed by the club.
All true. Honestly, I think it was just wishful thinking for a lot of people: Wanting to believe Woodward going would fix things.

The alarm bells should have been ringing when the Board rejected Rangnick's input and analysis of the squad. The moment the finished second last season line got trotted out we should have known.

RedDevilRoshi

All true. Honestly, I think it was just wishful thinking for a lot of people: Wanting to believe Woodward going would fix things.

The alarm bells should have been ringing when the Board rejected Rangnick's input and analysis of the squad. The moment the finished second last season line got trotted out we should have known.
Completely agree. It was a massive cop out as in trust the process and persevere because it ain’t all that bad as “we finished 2nd” the season before.

Chris M

Gary Neville great right back for the club, up there with the best, but why hang on to the words of a guy who has tried his hand at management and was shit, why listen to the guy he
had his chance and fell short by a country mile but somehow thinks he has all the answers.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
But the social media pages have improved so how can anyone be negative...

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.

The above quote was one of his nicer ones! Scathing throughout - and rightly so. I'm still waiting for apologies from those here who claimed I hate the club, but I guess they will blame my negativity for the result...

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.

Agreed 100%.

It's all very worrying, I'm already fearing another terrible season and it's barely even started. I think I'm going to have to switch off from all things United, even get off the cafe. There's no point ruminating about United, we are so broken and so far away from being a top club.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Gary Neville great right back for the club, up there with the best, but why hang on to the words of a guy who has tried his hand at management and was shit, why listen to the guy he
had his chance and fell short by a country mile but somehow thinks he has all the answers.
If the threshold of having a valid opinion is that you once were a good manager, there's very few people's opinions we could actually listen to.

Everyone on here might as well stay quiet for a start!

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
If the threshold of having a valid opinion is that you once were a good manager, there's very few people's opinions we could actually listen to.

Everyone on here might as well stay quiet for a start!
exactly. Comparing being a manager to being a pundit is like comparing oranges to copper

RedRover

As above, he's entirely correct in his assessment.

You could put any manager in charge of that squad and they'd achieve nothing. There's a handful of players, at best, who are of the required quality to be at a top 4 club. Recruitment has been terrible for the last decade, and the same mistakes are made over and over again.

The club is stricken with a paralysis in terms of football decision making. The faces change but the same problems persist and promoting people "from within" whose faces fit just doubles down on the issue.

United need to look at how other clubs work. Spurs (as an example) made a handful of signings in January - a number of which (perhaps all) would have improved us, and they've moved quickly again in the summer. United need to copy what other clubs are doing and easily have the financial muscle to go out and employ personnel from other clubs to do the job. You can question why they don't do that, but I personally suspect there are too many protected people in there who're worried about the outcome if someone who knows what they're doing comes in and starts asking questions.

Chief123

That was one of the contradictory statements in this summer's PR moves from the club, that we were apparently putting an end to the survival culture at the club but we were also quick to remind everyone that these players finished second a year back so, you know, they're good lads really.

Six players that started today have been at the club for five years or more. When is it going to be the last straw for some of them?
The embarsssing state yesterday was that there were 2 premier league winners on the pitch. De Gea was one, Welbeck the other. :annoyed:

RedRover

This is absolute garbage.

Anyone watching United can see where the problems are. He's not the only person saying it - far from it in fact. You don't have to be Pep Guardiola to see that the players aren't good enough and the club are hopeless at recruitment.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Spot on from Gary, as ever. If I performed (if they can even claim to have done so) as Murtough and Arnold have this summer, I'd be out on my ear. And still the club pretends it's got a DoF

Last edited:

Sylar

I think hes part right, in that the players are trying their best. I think they are trying their best when they are on the ball. They actually do try and are just not good enough

However the issue is that off the ball, they dont try hard enough (as Keane says). They arent running off the ball to get it back and it makes life harder for them.

Son

What don’t you agree with?

He said the players aren’t good enough… This is correct

He said it’s time to sell the club… This is also correct

You want to keep the Glazer’s then I guess and keep giving contracts to the same proven bang average players?

RedRover

I think hes part right, in that the players are trying their best. I think they are trying their best when they are on the ball. They actually do try and are just not good enough

However the issue is that off the ball, they dont try hard enough (as Keane says). They arent running off the ball to get it back and it makes life harder for them.
You can't add work rate to a players game. It's a myth you can make someone work harder in any job because ultimately, they eventually revert to type when the threat of losing your job abates. That's especially the case when you can't sack them and they earn millions a year, unlike the real world.

You can make players fitter, give them a system to play in and direct their ability and drive but if they lack either, they're just not good enough to play at the top level. Too many in the squad don't have either (or both) the talent or the drive. It's that simple. If we put the entire squad up for sale today there's a handful who would interest any top sides.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
What don’t you agree with?

He said the players aren’t good enough… This is correct

He said it’s time to sell the club… This is also correct

You want to keep the Glazer’s then I guess and keep giving contracts to the same proven bang average players?
he also seems to forget that Gary Neville was one of the best fullbacks that the club has ever had

Sylar

You can't add work rate to a players game. It's a myth you can make someone work harder in any job because ultimately, they eventually revert to type when the threat of losing your job abates. That's especially the case when you can't sack them and they earn millions a year, unlike the real world.

You can make players fitter, give them a system to play in and direct their ability and drive but if they lack either, they're just not good enough to play at the top level. Too many in the squad don't have either (or both) the talent or the drive. It's that simple. If we put the entire squad up for sale today there's a handful who would interest any top sides.
Im not disagreeing with you. I think some of the players, weve seen instances when they do run off the ball. But I think they are either lazy or just spoilt, and think its above them.

The best teams always have people who ensure they arent outworked and then know the talent will shine through.
But ultimately I agree with you.

RedRover

Im not disagreeing with you. I think some of the players, weve seen instances when they do run off the ball. But I think they are either lazy or just spoilt, and think its above them.

The best teams always have people who ensure they arent outworked and then know the talent will shine through.
But ultimately I agree with you.
I think you could argue that a players work rate, in certain positions and in certain systems, is now more important than his overall ability. James Milner is a good example, as is Jordan Henderson. Liverpool have, mostly, a midfield of hard workers, as they do throughout the team. Busy players who probably wouldn't look anywhere near as good playing for a different side.

I remember watching my local League 2 side as a kid and as players dropped down the leagues, even if they were old and slow, you could see difference in levels of ability but even that's become a rarity now.

Brentford 4:0 Man Utd

Chief123

Wow that’s the most explosive I’ve seen him! He went for the throat of the Glazers.

I thought him and Redknapp were about to knock each other out! :eek:

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Wow that’s the most explosive I’ve seen him! He went for the throat of the Glazers.

I thought him and Redknapp were about to knock each other out! :eek:
Which Redknapp? Wouldn't fancy his chances against 'Arry or Louise.