Gary Neville - Pundit

thisisnottaken1

I hate how biased against us he is. It’s because he’s terrified that the media would pile into him if he wasn’t, most likely.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
:lol: some bitterness in here. He’s a bigger manc than you or anyone else on this forum.

What's he supposed to do? Slam the mic down and call them all scouse cnuts?
The people here attacking him make me laugh - seems they don't know a real united fan when the they see one. He happens to tell the truth about us and not wear dumb red-tinted glasses permanently

WR

Frankie Barwell ITK
Bolded and not bolded part make no connection whatsoever.

So you agree that he is cringy, that he is doing his job of being unbiase, but then somehow that's okay because he is bigger red than anyone on here? That makes absolutey no sense at all, especially if you disagree with people who are criticising HIS COMMENTARY.
Liverpool, with a team full of injuries and kids on the pitch at the end of the game, won the final with minutes to go.

He's a commentator on Sky and it's his job to react appropriately to that. He's commentating on what he sees.

The top red point was in reference to people on here actually believing he is some secret underground Liverpool fan and was buzzing for them to win. Ridiculous suggestion. He has more connection to United than any of us.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Liverpool, with a team full of injuries and kids on the pitch at the end of the game, won the final with minutes to go.

He's a commentator on Sky and it's his job to react appropriately to that. He's commentating on what he sees.

The top red point was in reference to people on here actually believing he is some secret underground Liverpool fan and was buzzing for them to win. Ridiculous suggestion. He has more connection to United than any of us.
Exactly. No idea why people take issue with it.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Exactly. No idea why people take issue with it.
People take issue with it because if you look at his whole body of work (as a pundit) it's absolutely obvious he tears into us much more unreservedly than he does other teams and he is also pro english in a frequently disgusting way.

After being smothered by united hating ex liverpool pros and cnuts like Keys for decades, united fans thought we'd get a fair shake in the media with our golden generation players retiring. Instead we have Gary Neville trying to be Martin Tyler and downplaying his own playing career, Roy Keane who hates everyone and Scholes who might be the most boring pundit in history if michael owen didn't exist. At least we got clickbait Rio.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
People take issue with it because if you look at his whole body of work (as a pundit) it's absolutely obvious he tears into us much more unreservedly than he does other teams and he is also pro english in a frequently disgusting way.
Don't you do the same though?

Ultimately I imagine Neville is going to care a lot more when we're shit then he is when Wolves are.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff

After being smothered by united hating ex liverpool pros and cnuts like Keys for decades, united fans thought we'd get a fair shake in the media with our golden generation players retiring. Instead we have Gary Neville trying to be Martin Tyler and downplaying his own playing career, Roy Keane who hates everyone and Scholes who might be the most boring pundit in history if michael owen didn't exist. At least we got clickbait Rio.
Most other teams have been more well run than us recently. He goes in on Chelsea loads and they're even shitter.

I think it's better that our players aren't as biased as others. At least they make an effort to be impartial.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude

Ultimately I imagine Neville is going to care a lot more when we're shit then he is when Wolves are.
So it's ok to be biased but only negatively? Also I do my shit talking on a united forum not on tv so a little bit different.

If as you say he is this impartial sky pundit just dishing it out to those who deserve it then why the double standards. He has become a narrative succubus just like his mentor MT. I stopped listening to commentary years ago and my football watching experience has improved dramatically. You miss the crowd noise but the trade off of not having to listen to these dipshits is worth it. I suggest the same for anyone tired of crap commentary.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Most other teams have been more well run than us recently. He goes in on Chelsea loads and they're even shitter.

I think it's better that our players aren't as biased as others. At least they make an effort to be impartial.
I disagree. Give me a Carragher in studio over any of our players. The guy knows how to praise his own team and shield them from criticism when neccessary. He puts liverpools success above things like his future career prospects and I'd much rather a nutter like that on tv than someone trying to be impartial( and still failing miserably)

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I disagree. Give me a Carragher in studio over any of our players. The guy knows how to praise his own team and shield them from criticism when neccessary. He puts liverpools success above things like his future career prospects and I'd much rather a nutter like that on tv than someone trying to be impartial( and still failing miserably)
A pundit's job shouldn't be to shield their team from criticism.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
I'd agree in an ideal scenario but literally every other pundit basically openly supports their former club(s) to varying degrees, and will actively disparage rivals, while Neville just joins in on the shitting on United while also waxing lyrical about City and Liverpool.

This whole thing about Liverpool winning with kids seems to stem from his commentary (as far as I can tell), when the reality is that Chelsea's squad averaged younger both at kick off and at the final whistle. While Chelsea's squad was expensively assembled, it's not as if van Dijk, Gravenberch, Mac Allister, Gakpo and Diaz were bargain bin signings.

I think it just grates on United fans that, while the rest of the media wank themselves silly over Klopp and Liverpool (and delight in sticking the boot in to us when it suits), Neville uses his platform to join in, rather than mitigate it somewhat.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
I didn't say it should be. It's a question of preference. These pundits aren't breaking down tactics or giving you knowledge about the game. It's usually play by play and a bunch of useless stats and discussion about the key moments.

If you have Carragher saying things like" Barely any contact there, /he went down easily/ Salah usually never dives vs Neville saying things like that could have been a red card you know, Casemiro is lucky to still be on the pitch, United escaped with one there. It furthers the already established narrative that United are this alien money bags behemoth where nothing is fully deserved but Liverpool are the plucky local lads from the pub where it's all some romantic rock n roll. You have these things happening every game and over time the narrative keeps building till some refs even believe it.

Look at the difference in how Klopp and Mourinho were treated. Or even ETH and Poch. Having friends and good relations with the media is pr 101. Our club is terrible at this and the few ex united players we have in tv don't help.

Ultimately it's a tiny problem and if you're successful on the pitch then you could care less like we did under Fergie.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I'd agree in an ideal scenario but literally every other pundit basically openly supports their former club(s) to varying degrees, and will actively disparage rivals, while Neville just joins in on the shitting on United while also waxing lyrical about City and Liverpool.

This whole thing about Liverpool winning with kids seems to stem from his commentary (as far as I can tell), when the reality is that Chelsea's squad averaged younger both at kick off and at the final whistle. While Chelsea's squad was expensively assembled, it's not as if van Dijk, Gravenberch, Mac Allister, Gakpo and Diaz were bargain bin signings.

I think it just grates on United fans that, while the rest of the media wank themselves silly over Klopp and Liverpool (and delight in sticking the boot in to us when it suits), Neville uses his platform to join in, rather than mitigate it somewhat.
Yeah I get that but I feel like stooping to that level is not the way to go. A lot of the stuff people want on here is justified by 'well the other teams are doing it' (multi-club ownership comes to mind) but I feel like we should be better than that.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Yeah I get that but I feel like stooping to that level is not the way to go. A lot of the stuff people want on here is justified by 'well the other teams are doing it' (multi-club ownership comes to mind) but I feel like we should be better than that.
Another example of when it helps to have "fans" in punditry is they will go in hard on players who disrespect the badge. If Liverpool had a local lad putting in the effort Rashford does, Carragher would have annihilated him on live tv by now. Neville stays quiet and tries to be "impartial" but in doing so directly hurts the club by letting it slide. It's even worse when he does it for some foreign players but not the English ones.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
I'm not sure it's "stooping to that level" when that basically seems to be what the job is.

They frequently bring in pundits for each side playing because they don't expect neutrality, and, as an example, they definitely put Carragher on games with Liverpool interest, even if they aren't playing (such as City or Arsenal matches), precisely because they want his Liverpool bias to show through when discussing title chances.

Neville is basically the only one not playing the game for some reason. And it's not like I expect him to cheerlead everything and pretend it's all rosy, but would it really be so hard for him to point out things like City's charges, rather than just salivating over every De Bruyne pass to Haaland?

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
We’re currently an average mid table outfit.

Neville is calling it out as he sees it. I rather that than blind worship.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
I'd agree in an ideal scenario but literally every other pundit basically openly supports their former club(s) to varying degrees
Aye, and what's ironic is that he is clearly biased towards english players when it come to European or national team games(which means he is not professional- at all, considering the lenghts he went to defend some english players), but when it's United, "he is just doing his job as being professional, you all just don't understand his job".

For me it's quite obvious he is doing what they are paying him to speak, and he is doing it much better than other pundits, even if it means shitting on United and praising Liverpool, because he was always doing what's in his best interest. His career as a pundit is clearly more important to him than being United fan(something that clearly isn't the same for Caragher and others). And that's fine, everyone should do what they like, but it's quite ridiculous that people pretend that's not the case.

You can't see the difference doing it on live TV with millions watching and doing it on football forum full of United fans? You don't see how much pressure it puts on United and their manager?

Pretty sure he said we were shit and didn't deserve to win many times when we had injuries, don't pretend he is that professional.

He is not commentating what he sees, he refuses to criticise his mates, he refuses to criticise English players, he licks Pep's and Klopp's ass very often, even when they are not at their best. He even calls for non penalties and yellow cards against us, he criticises our captain all the time, something he never never does with other teams. He hardly ever criticised Pep and Klopp in their non tophy seasons, and yet he criticises United all the time.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
feck him, insufferable already. Genuinely hate him.

binary bot
The pandering to Liverpool is at an all time high.

Banging on about the effect of Anfield after a few periods of possession. They’re top of the league ffs

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
GNev on Liverpool games is almost as difficult as GNev on United games.

subotai

feck him, insufferable already. Genuinely hate him.
You genuinely hate him? Genuinely? He's a just person doing some work, and whilst you might not like his tone, opinions, word selection, whatever - fair enough, he was a great player for united and a much loved part of our history.

And you genuinely hate him. I just can't understand this, not one bit.

Unless you're one of those wierdo sleeper types.

Ludens the Red

He was odd today. The sucking up to de bruyne after a simple pass from a corner was weird. I feel if that’s any other player he doesn’t make that much of a deal.
Then despite city being rubbish after basically minute 25 he kept making out they were playing really well until the second half when he just accepted they were shocking but then just excused it as Anfield factor.

I fully expect to watch his podcast tomorrow and him to be banging on about how great both teams were. In actual fact city were terrible after minute 25 and if Liverpool had even a slight bit of composure they’d have won that game 4-1 and it wouldn’t have flattered them.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
He was odd today. The sucking up to de bruyne after a simple pass from a corner was weird. I feel if that’s any other player he doesn’t make that much of a deal.
Then despite city being rubbish after basically minute 25 he kept making out they were playing really well until the second half when he just accepted they were shocking but then just excused it as Anfield factor.

I fully expect to watch his podcast tomorrow and him to be banging on about how great both teams were. In actual fact city were terrible after minute 25 and if Liverpool had even a slight bit of composure they’d have won that game 4-1 and it wouldn’t have flattered them.
The problem I think he has is he thinks both sets of fans hate him and assume bias from him against their team. Means he has to try and appease both at the same time by blowing smoke up their ass any opportunity he can get. Leaves him a bit all over the place at times

Ludens the Red

The problem I think he has is he thinks both sets of fans hate him and assume bias from him against their team. Means he has to try and appease both at the same time by blowing smoke up their ass any opportunity he can get. Leaves him a bit all over the place at times
Yep that’s literally what he does :lol: and what went on in that game. He couldn’t quite criticise city so thought by declaring Anfield a sacred place he’d tick two boxes.