Gary Neville

passtheball

His podcast was interesting.
“Ole was a great bridge”

In other words, time to go Ole.
Neville also criticized Ronaldo for storming off the pitch muttering under his breath. It is putting undue pressure on Ole, apparently.

A snippet:
I watched the game and I watched him walk off. I can’t say I like it. Is Cristiano upset when he doesn’t play? Yes. If he upset when he doesn’t score? Yes. Is Cristiano annoyed as hell when the team doesn’t win? Of course. We know these things, he doesn’t need to prove that. He walked off the pitch muttering to himself which in some ways throws the questions up in the air. ‘What’s he saying? Who’s he annoyed with?’ And it can only come back to the manager.
Imagine a Manchester United manager being under pressure. Poor Ole.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Fergie is the best ever. Even factoring in to everything he did at United, what he did with Aberdeen was nothing short of remarkable. Beating Real Madrid with Aberdeen and the way he smashed the Old Firm monopoly is one of his greatest achievements.

izec

Salah was MOTM. Foden was class, but Salah was better. But he had to give it to Foden as well, local lad and all that.

tomaldinho1

Number of years versus number of titles is surely a flawed and biased metric - considering the starting point of both managers?
Very subjective depending on who you rate pkayer-wise. Personally I think in difficulty re starting point it goes in chronological order Moyes>LVG>Mou>Ole and in truth none of them have performed anywhere near the level we’d have hoped for so far. That order is also the order of spending low > high. FYI this isn’t saying that is my order performance wise before someone bursts a vein thinking this is an anti-Ole post, but as starting positions go I think we’ve got better over time purely because we’ve spent so much money and, for all the misses, each manager bar Moyes added a few players who are still playing regularly now:

LVG: Shaw, Herrera, Martial
Mou: Lindelof, Pogba, Matic, Fred

RUCK4444

Getting back to the stage where I can't stand him tbh.

Such a cringey feck. Hate the way he sucks off the likes of Foden / Kane and everything team england, along with our competition and likes to put pressure on the club and manager.

He's everywhere you look, oh what's Gary's take on this and that? Who gives a feck!

RUCK4444

Very subjective depending on who you rate pkayer-wise. Personally I think in difficulty re starting point it goes in chronological order Moyes>LVG>Mou>Ole and in truth none of them have performed anywhere near the level we’d have hoped for so far. That order is also the order of spending low > high. FYI this isn’t saying that is my order performance wise before someone bursts a vein thinking this is an anti-Ole post, but as starting positions go I think we’ve got better over time purely because we’ve spent so much money and, for all the misses, each manager bar Moyes added a few players who are still playing regularly now:

Ole took over a team needing a massive overhaul, especially with deadwood that needed to leave, more so than the others.

I'd also say Mourinho had a bit of a mess to clear after Van Gaals shite recruitment but he left the same for Ole.

Edit: and some of Mou's boys are still playing because in three years of spending we are still trying to clear some of the shite, Matic legs went and Lindelof should never have been more than a bench option for us. Plus we still have the outrageous talent of Dalot on the books lolz.

Last edited:

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Neville also criticized Ronaldo for storming off the pitch muttering under his breath. It is putting undue pressure on Ole, apparently.

A snippet:

Bizarre comments. If Ole is under pressure because a player was unhappy that we didn’t win…..then that says more about the manager than the player. I’d like all of the players to have walked off in the same manner…..ideally while the manager did the same, not smiling and joking.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Fergie was unique in that he was on top of the game for 3 decades, something unheard of in a profession where coaches tend to burn out after 15 years or so, but he wasnt a tactical pioneer, who Guardiola is
Does this mean that Lobanovsky, who was both, is the best manager of all-time? :drool:

In all seriousness though, I really don't get the overreaction to Neville calling Pep the greatest ever. He has certainly done enough to be up there in the conversation — both in terms of the trophies and in terms of the incredible influence that he's had on the development on contemporary football. Would I personally chose him? Probably not, especially if we count in the pro-United bias that I obviously have. Is saying that Pep is the GOAT ridiculous? Absolutely not.

tomaldinho1

Ole took over a team needing a massive overhaul, especially with deadwood that needed to leave, more so than the others.

I'd also say Mourinho had a bit of a mess to clear after Van Gaals shite recruitment but he left the same for Ole.

Edit: and some of Mou's boys are still playing because in three years of spending we are still trying to clear some of the shite, Matic legs went and Lindelof should never have been more than a bench option for us. Plus we still have the outrageous talent of Dalot on the books lolz.
  1. Moyes was never good enough but he had it hardest for me, expectation was immediate success & his squad was poor. Plus apparently no one wanted to sign for us so his signings were panic buys.
  2. LVG cleared a huge amount of average players from our book but them left us with a lot of average players in their place. He actually had quite a short tenure and won the FA cup but style of play simply didn't cut it.
  3. Mou came in started his usual chequebook approach, big signings, older players, fat contracts. He won two trophies but he was not successful. The negativity around the club was at it's peak but the actual playing squad was pretty good.
  4. Ole seems to has switched tactics and gone from young, longer term signings to essentially becoming more Mou minded (Cavani, Ronaldo, Varane) and wanting experience. His greatest achievement was dispersing Mou's cloud over OT but the squad he took on was better than Moyes', LVG and Mou's & he has had more patience and less immediate expectation than the others.
Purely based on players we had at the time, aggressive spending and depth & nothing to do with each manager's performances I think it goes Moyes>LVG>Mou>Ole. So, as this was in answer to a post about tenure vs trophies, you do need context for sure and everyone will have their own take on who had it harder but let's just give all managers a freebie 1st season (more than enough to get some transfers in, put your tactics into place and know your best team) then after that it's fair to judge them as equals in my mind.

Glorio

Question: is it really out of place for one of our players to look incensed after we drop points, and walk straight back to the dressing room after the game?

I would have thought this was common place. Seems to be a real talking point whereas it strikes me as a perfectly normal reaction to a bad result rather than an act of dissent/rebellion.

Ish

Lights on for Luke

Yes, don't disagree with that at all bud but my comment was more to the Pep v SAF opinions I read in here :lol:

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Fergie is the best ever. Even factoring in to everything he did at United, what he did with Aberdeen was nothing short of remarkable. Beating Real Madrid with Aberdeen and the way he smashed the Old Firm monopoly is one of his greatest achievements.
Annoying how his achievements pre United are always ignored.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Is it me, or people are really getting unnecessary worked up about the joint motm thingy?
It’s the English bias as always with him. Salah was too obvious to ignore but he wanted to give it to Foden (too).
But people should not be annoyed anymore as it should be clear by now that Gary is and has always been incredibly biased towards English players.

united_99

Number of years versus number of titles is surely a flawed and biased metric - considering the starting point of both managers?
Should be obvious really.
One took over a team which had won the league two years before he joined, the other took over a team which had won it two decades before he joined.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City

A snippet:

It's a ridiculous notion that a Man Utd manager shouldn't be under pressure to perform.

What it does highlight though, is the stark contrast between Ronaldo and Solskjaer. Ole might be a hard taskmaster behind the scenes (or not, can't be sure) but his public persona is too nice and is totally different from Ronaldo's public persona.

I wish Ole would cut out the nice guy image because it doesn't help the club. United will always be hated. We're not some underdog club where his nice guy personality would get us admirers. Maybe he can't, because that's just him being him.

tomaldinho1

Yes, don't disagree with that at all bud but my comment was more to the Pep v SAF opinions I read in here :lol:
In that case it's not really subjective at all! United pre SAF versus City pre Pep are two completely different beasts! :lol:

Josh 76

It’s the English bias as always with him. Salah was too obvious to ignore but he wanted to give it to Foden (too).
But people should not be annoyed anymore as it should be clear by now that Gary is and has always been incredibly biased towards English players.
Foden had a better 90mins than Salah. In the first half Salah was non existent.

When it comes to deciding Man of the match awards of looking at the match overall, the first half is always over looked.

After the final whistle, most pundits were saying the draw was a fare result, which is bollocks!

City smashed the first half and the second half was even. So Going on that, City deserved to win.

united_99

Foden had a better 90mins than Salah. In the first half Salah was non existent.

When it comes to deciding Man of the match awards of looking at the match overall, the first half is always over looked.

After the final whistle, most pundits were saying the draw was a fare result, which is bollocks!

City smashed the first half and the second half was even. So Going on that, City deserved to win.
I don’t agree Foden had a better 90 mins.
And if you believe if a non English player performed like Foden did and Gary would have picked him as well, then so be it but I have seen and heard enough of Gary to know this would not be the case.

owlo

It's a ridiculous notion that a Man Utd manager shouldn't be under pressure to perform.

What it does highlight though, is the stark contrast between Ronaldo and Solskjaer. Ole might be a hard taskmaster behind the scenes (or not, can't be sure) but his public persona is too nice and is totally different from Ronaldo's public persona.

I wish Ole would cut out the nice guy image because it doesn't help the club. United will always be hated. We're not some underdog club where his nice guy personality would get us admirers. Maybe he can't, because that's just him being him.
I'm actually starting to find him a bit of an arrogant arsehole. Apathetic about being the best, but plenty of snark and excuses when it suits him and tough questions are being asked.

RUCK4444

1. Moyes was never good enough but he had it hardest for me, expectation was immediate success & his squad was poor. Plus apparently no one wanted to sign for us so his signings were panic buys.
  2. LVG cleared a huge amount of average players from our book but them left us with a lot of average players in their place. He actually had quite a short tenure and won the FA cup but style of play simply didn't cut it.
  3. Mou came in started his usual chequebook approach, big signings, older players, fat contracts. He won two trophies but he was not successful. The negativity around the club was at it's peak but the actual playing squad was pretty good.
  4. Ole seems to has switched tactics and gone from young, longer term signings to essentially becoming more Mou minded (Cavani, Ronaldo, Varane) and wanting experience. His greatest achievement was dispersing Mou's cloud over OT but the squad he took on was better than Moyes', LVG and Mou's & he has had more patience and less immediate expectation than the others.
Purely based on players we had at the time, aggressive spending and depth & nothing to do with each manager's performances I think it goes Moyes>LVG>Mou>Ole. So, as this was in answer to a post about tenure vs trophies, you do need context for sure and everyone will have their own take on who had it harder but let's just give all managers a freebie 1st season (more than enough to get some transfers in, put your tactics into place and know your best team) then after that it's fair to judge them as equals in my mind.
Yeah on the bolded I think that's fair. The order of difficulty for each manager (in respect to the state of the squad when they took over) I think is down to personal opinion.

I've said before that LVG did a lot of damage, took us in the wrong direction and his recruitment was terrible. But personally, in my opinion, I think Ole had the biggest job of turning the club around, naturally that was the case as he took over after 3 failed previous appointments so we were further along the line of drifting into obscurity, but when you factor in just how low we were when Mourinho left (the squad were absolutely on the floor, void of morale and there was a massive amount of player turnover required, lots to get rid of and lots to bring in, more so than for the previous managers IMO.)

I think it still lingers because the club, even though they've spent last summer, haven't properly replaced Matic/Fred yet three years on from Mourinho... such was the scale of the rebuild, not entirely Mourinho's fault but a legacy of both him and LVG that Ole had to sort through.

We've done most of the major work of that rebuild in just the last summer alone, now we are hoping they integrate quick enough to hit the ground running and win us the league this year or Ole get's the chop. But there is no doubt Ole has been backed now, IMO he's arguably one player (DM) away from completing his rebuild. I hope he's successful but regardless of anybodies view on Ole he will have left the next manager a very good squad capable of competing on all fronts, something the previous three did a hideous job of replicating.

tomaldinho1

Yeah on the bolded I think that's fair. The order of difficulty for each manager (in respect to the state of the squad when they took over) I think is down to personal opinion.

I've said before that LVG did a lot of damage, took us in the wrong direction and his recruitment was terrible. But personally, in my opinion, I think Ole had the biggest job of turning the club around, naturally that was the case as he took over after 3 failed previous appointments so we were further along the line of drifting into obscurity, but when you factor in just how low we were when Mourinho left (the squad were absolutely on the floor, void of morale and there was a massive amount of player turnover required, lots to get rid of and lots to bring in, more so than for the previous managers IMO.)

I think it still lingers because the club, even though they've spent last summer, haven't properly replaced Matic/Fred yet three years on from Mourinho... such was the scale of the rebuild, not entirely Mourinho's fault but a legacy of both him and LVG that Ole had to sort through.

We've done most of the major work of that rebuild in just the last summer alone, now we are hoping they integrate quick enough to hit the ground running and win us the league this year or Ole get's the chop. But there is no doubt Ole has been backed now, IMO he's arguably one player (DM) away from completing his rebuild. I hope he's successful but regardless of anybodies view on Ole he will have left the next manager a very good squad capable of competing on all fronts, something the previous three did a hideous job of replicating.
Yep regardless of our probable different views on Ole, the bolded is true without doubt. That said, Ronaldo, Cavani, Pogba, Matic, probably VdB, probably Martial look likely to leave whether due to age, contract or not being starters so there will be a lot of depth to build back up.

I have less criticism for LVG purely because Woodward was an idiot, he wanted to transition to a possession based setup (at the time I think most were in favour of this) and LVG was a 3 year (max) appointment intended to set us up for a younger manager to then come in, probably Giggs which in hindsight is lucky didn't pan out, it was a complete shambles from recruitment to playing style, compounded by then hiring the most ant-possession defensive manager around in Mou which made most of LVG's signings useless, those that hadn't already bombed themselves.

Should he not work out, I envisage Ole will move into some kind of role alongside Murtough who is Football Director (but he's not a pure DoF as is apparently more Ops + Transfer centric) & Judge (DoF for negotiations). You'd then have Ole, Murtough, Judge + Bout as a transfer committee that has proven itself capable so far & then hire a head coach who is happy not being in control of transfers but vastly more hands on.

lsd

The Oracle
Salah was MOTM. Foden was class, but Salah was better. But he had to give it to Foden as well, local lad and all that.

Basically he was annoyed he couldn't give man of the match to an English player so decided to make one up

sugar_kane

Question: is it really out of place for one of our players to look incensed after we drop points, and walk straight back to the dressing room after the game?

I would have thought this was common place. Seems to be a real talking point whereas it strikes me as a perfectly normal reaction to a bad result rather than an act of dissent/rebellion.
Completely agree with you, BT focusing immediately on it and Rio gravely talking like he'd just witnessed a dog hit by a car was absurd. Ronny was pissed off because we didn't win, big deal.

Gary Neville making a big deal out of this and linking it back to the manager is also ridiculous, but no surprise. He's a drama queen.

I'm not suggesting Ronny isn't pissed off with Ole, but we have no way of knowing and this in no way proves it. Just normal player frustration.

Also wasn't too surprised at him blanking Townsend since he took the piss out of his celebration.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
“Ole was a great bridge”

Yeah, was an interesting quote from him.

But then he started talking about players not working hard enough and we need to play more hard workers like we've just filled our XI with flair players.

Back 4, McTominay, Fred, Fernandes and Cavani all work hard. So 8 out of 10 outfield players put in the work. Does he want 9?

Devil may care

He's not happy about a player holding high standards and being pissed off at another 2 points dropped at home, but he's fine with Ole having a joke with McTominay in the dying minutes when we needed to win, he's complained about lack of leaders and now we have them on the pitch but not on the touchline, he's flipped the script to sensitive Sally.

Him and MOTD both ignored Bernardo Silva.

Josh 76

Yeah, was an interesting quote from him.

But then he started talking about players not working hard enough and we need to play more hard workers like we've just filled our XI with flair players.

Back 4, McTominay, Fred, Fernandes and Cavani all work hard. So 8 out of 10 outfield players put in the work. Does he want 9?
Another thing he said which kind of surprised me was, “I didn’t really celebrate the last min goal against Villarreal and excepted Everton to win on Saturday.”

He definitely seems frustrated now and doesn’t seem to be holding back.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt

A snippet:

Ridiculous take from Gaz. The GOAT came here to compete for titltes and not a retirement party. We are shit and you expect him to grin his way all through.
It isn't compulsory Ole is our manager. We are miles of competing for titles. He should be under as much pressure as possible.

Real Name

I didnt understand what Gary said as United manager shouldnt be under pressure but Ronaldo storming to the tunnel will be talked about all around the media and it isnt needed.

I think Gary is the last man to think United manager shouldnt be under pressure since he was at the club and know whats it all about.

Saying that he should be more critical of Ole and should take the gloves of so to speak.

eire-red

“Ole was a great bridge”

Always felt Ole might be like Brendan Rodgers was to Liverpool. Took them out of the lows of Hodgson and Daglish, but couldn't finish the job.

We now need a top class coach to come in and take us to the next level.

Rockets Redglare

Always felt Ole might be like Brendan Rodgers was to Liverpool. Took them out of the lows of Hodgson and Daglish, but couldn't finish the job.

We now need a top class coach to come in and take us to the next level.
I wish he was as good as Brendan Rodgers.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Should be obvious really.
One took over a team which had won the league two years before he joined, the other took over a team which had won it two decades before he joined.
Yeah, agreed completely.
In that case it's not really subjective at all! United pre SAF versus City pre Pep are two completely different beasts! :lol:
Not sure why some sort of neglect to take that bit of context into account

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Foden wasn't that good yesterday. Lovely strike but apart from that he wasted a lot of good situations.