Gary Neville

Tyrion

His coaching and punditry career suggest that football analysis isn't really one of his strong suits.
He's been a really good pundit who has been better at explaining things than many other cliche-peddlers. But recently Sky has tried to go viral with silly arguments instead so their reactions are pretty brain dead now. They just use him to argue with Liverpool fans.

Heinzesight

It’s the constant trying to make a United player look bad before any replay and really going all in on that moment. I don’t get it. It’s odd and he was at it before the capitulation. Fine, he’s hurting in the studio post-match, top red time again, but why be a total prick on commentary about our players?

Baichung Bhutia

Supports
Arsenal
I thought Neville was embarrassing himself saying it was all about United and nothing to do with Liverpool. All the Liverpool guys were trying to say was Liverpool played well today. Keane just kept quiet and didnt want to join in the waffling that Neville was doing

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Can't exactly blame souness for rubbing it in given Neville and Keanes reaction in the buildup when souness tried claiming he was confident of a Liverpool win.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Of all things Sounness coming out of this as some kind of messiah is just pukeworthy.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
Honestly just don't give this self centered idiot the attention he craves.

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
It baffles me why people rate his football opinion. I’m glad he is nowhere near the club but he is position himself as the spokesman for us fans.

daba

Poor Gary Neville having to put up with the hugely bias Carragher all through the game and then also having to put up with the even more bias Souness after the game, I cant believe Souness refused to accept that United were the better team in the first half even though anyone who watched it would say they were.
Most of the time I actually think Carragher is pretty balanced but today Seemed to be egged on bSouness (maybe he just sucks up to him as a Liverpool legend?).

Also don’t get how Souness refused to admit we were better first half, that must have been to just wind Gary up. Even my most biased scouse-loving mates accepted that.

Don’t get the overall hate towards Gary on here. Today he was rightly critical of us, Bruno was a disgrace, Shaw did lose his head and wasn’t far off getting a red, ETH will address this and sort the lads out.

He does love to talk, that I agree with, but at least he talks far more sense than pretty much every other pundit going.

mav_9me

Not sure how accurate Neville is with the Bruno wanting to come off thing.

He needs to clarify as to on what basis he is saying that.

Pele's blue pil

Supports
Arsenal

Neville doesn't give a damn about accuracy.

Awful pundit who just wants attention. Liverpool deserved more credit than he gave them today and if utd had won 7-0 he wouldn't have been saying well done but we only won 7-0 because Liverpool were so bad. Almost like it's a combination of both. Souness is a bellend but was right to rip into Neville.

7-0 certainly not a good scoreline for him.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
Neville doesn't give a damn about accuracy.

Awful pundit who just wants attention. Liverpool deserved more credit than he gave them today and if utd had won 7-0 he wouldn't have been saying well done but we only won 7-0 because Liverpool were so bad. Almost like it's a combination of both. Souness is a bellend but was right to rip into Neville.

7-0 certainly not a good scoreline for him.
Just this. The sooner this guy isn't given the attention, the faster he'll turn irrelevant.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine

If anyone didn’t know why Neville gets so much ire, this is Bruno supposedly wanting to come off. :lol:

Neville is just an arse - a hystodrama twat that wants to continuously create drama and controversy around the club. Who can’t quite seem to give the team any credit when they’re playing. The sooner he’s commentating on games that aren’t ours the better.

Baxter

Was absolute nonsense and all it's done is whip up a frenzy. Helps nobody.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Can't exactly blame souness for rubbing it in given Neville and Keanes reaction in the buildup when souness tried claiming he was confident of a Liverpool win.

Yeah, it was fair game. Neville and Keane were smug before the game and then lost 7-0. Of course Souness was going to have some fun with them after the game.

Sylar

He's a better pundit than commentator. Especially for united games. He is atrocious and overreacts and goes way OTT like the Shaw thing, Bruno wanting to be subbed off (nothing to indicate that at all).

He's a fan and obviously has gripes (and that result would have hurt him as much as most here) but he just adds things that aren't necessary. Like seeing taa pulling on Shaw's shirt near the end and pretty much claiming it could be a penalty. His ott reaction to mctominay where even carragher has to defend mctominay.

Souness wound him up and he fell for it

cyberman

If there’s no video evidence or anybody seeing the same thing then Gary owes Bruno an apology and should never commentate on our gamer shin

The Corinthian

Supports
A Free Palestine
He's a better pundit than commentator. Especially for united games. He is atrocious and overreacts and goes way OTT like the Shaw thing, Bruno wanting to be subbed off (nothing to indicate that at all).

He's a fan and obviously has gripes (and that result would have hurt him as much as most here) but he just adds things that aren't necessary. Like seeing taa pulling on Shaw's shirt near the end and pretty much claiming it could be a penalty. His ott reaction to mctominay where even carragher has to defend mctominay.

Souness wound him up and he fell for it
He's a pretty shit pundit for our games. I still can't forget the whole 'silent domination' shite he came out with when we beat City a years ago and Rooney didn't move. :lol:

Neville (and Carragher) were genuinely refreshing when they first came onto the scene in...2011 I think, and provided that in depth analysis in MNF. They've become a victim of their own success now and they're fully invested in the constant drama that has to be a part of the narrative of the PL that Sky want to shit out.

Chief123

It’s the constant trying to make a United player look bad before any replay and really going all in on that moment. I don’t get it. It’s odd and he was at it before the capitulation. Fine, he’s hurting in the studio post-match, top red time again, but why be a total prick on commentary about our players?
Yesterday was embarrassing. He made out it was a shocking tackle by McTominay and that he was trying to hurt the player and knew what he was doing having his foot high. It was so cringe. Even Carragher had to jump in and suggest there wasn’t any intent.

Even when Bruno went down (yes I know he dives and moans a lot) but Neville calling it a disgrace him holding his face when he was pushed in the chest. You can see on the replay he did catch his chin/mouth.

sugar_kane

I genuinely think he was trying to make a (barely coherent) joke about Bruno wanting to get subbed off.

As disgraceful as Bruno's performance was yesterday (he should be bollocked and dropped for the next game) Neville needs to clarify this, as it's out of order to essentially make something as controversial up like that up about a player and allow people to believe it, which they certainly will.

Chief123

If anyone didn’t know why Neville gets so much ire, this is Bruno supposedly wanting to come off. :lol:

Neville is just an arse - a hystodrama twat that wants to continuously create drama and controversy around the club. Who can’t quite seem to give the team any credit when they’re playing. The sooner he’s commentating on games that aren’t ours the better.
First time I’ve seen this. That’s a load of bollocks. Neville has made a desperate attempt to stick one in on Bruno from that. There’s absolutely zero suggestion that he’s asking to be taken off.

In fact, having seen it it looks more like the sub was coming on but the players weren’t sure who it was for. You can see the delay before Rashford starts making his way off. If anything the Bruno gesture suggests “Who is coming off?” as he looks around.

Can’t believe Neville has made a drama out of that when listening to it live.

Sylar

He's a pretty shit pundit for our games. I still can't forget the whole 'silent domination' shite he came out with when we beat City a years ago and Rooney didn't move. :lol:

Neville (and Carragher) were genuinely refreshing when they first came onto the scene in...2011 I think, and provided that in depth analysis in MNF. They've become a victim of their own success now and they're fully invested in the constant drama that has to be a part of the narrative of the PL that Sky want to shit out.
I get what you're saying, when it comes to us , he's too emotional and it really feels like the matchday thread at times :lol: he's better when he composes himself and has time to analyse.

I think a problem with him was also the difference in how he analysed us when Ole was in charge (and lesser extent Moyes as he was picked by fergie and still has some of his teammates) compared to other managers.

It's funny cos with Bruno, there is every reason to criticise him for the way he chases refs, goes down, or yesterday how he kicked the Liverpool player and then just stopped and let him go. Having to make things up just dilutes anything good

I get you on the drama part that sky sports has become.

MUFC OK

What a complete disgrace he was on commentary yesterday. Suggesting Bruno wanted to be subbed is actually slander.

Zoo

As if he will. Also claimed that McTominay meant it.

Yet people don’t like it when Neville
is criticised.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
First time I’ve seen this. That’s a load of bollocks. Neville has made a desperate attempt to stick one in on Bruno from that. There’s absolutely zero suggestion that he’s asking to be taken off.

In fact, having seen it it looks more like the sub was coming on but the players weren’t sure who it was for. You can see the delay before Rashford starts making his way off. If anything the Bruno gesture suggests “Who is coming off?” as he looks around.

Can’t believe Neville has made a drama out of that when listening to it live.
I interpreted it as a "hurry the feck up" gesture to the ref. Either way, interpreting it as him demanding to be subbed is mental.

You get the impression that pundits like Neville invested so much emotional energy defending Ole that he's been desperate to find any way possible to criticise the club/team/manager/players since Ole got the sack. That persistent negativity has been a real feature of his commentary this season and it's tedious as feck. You could put intermittent negativity down to normal fan frustrations in previous seasons but it feels much more like an agenda now.

Chairman Steve

Salford aren’t playing until Friday night either so Gary’s going to have to sulk until Thursday

Never mind, Gary, go tweet about Sunak’s government and take your mind off it like you usually do :p

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Salford aren’t playing until Friday night either so Gary’s going to have to sulk until Thursday

Never mind, Gary, go tweet about Sunak’s government and take your mind off it like you usually do :p
Just like the rest of us in fairness. I have to put a whole bunch of stuff that comes up for me on YouTube on ignore to avoid seeing more misery.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

I was watching this on sky and the commentator did say something about Bruno indicating why was it not him coming off?

or maybe I just confused that with Neville later

Edwards6

I was watching this on sky and the commentator did say something about Bruno indicating why was it not him coming off?

Neville was the commentator that said it, I've seen loads of people slagging off Bruno for demanding to be subbed but it's just based off what Neville made up

DeGea

He is a good speaker but I don’t think his insights are that interesting or quality to the point that I go “oh that’s a very good analysis”. Neville says quite a lot of obvious things but in an easy way to understand for viewers.

Thierry Henry I think is a much better analyst of the game, his insights are much more interesting.

RedDevil@84

Nothing new about it. Him overly criticizing United players while ignoring same stuff from other teams is not new. Him going overboard with his criticism and taking it to a personal level is also not really shocking.
His commentary for our game is something that I would really like to avoid. It is like Webb refereeing in his final years. After being called out as United's 12th man for years, he tried to rectify it by ignoring blatant fouls on our players and penalty shouts, in his later years.

RuudTom83

His habit of repeating the last few words of every sentence twice to try and come across as intelligent is really annoying.

The Corinthian

Supports
A Free Palestine

It was Neville commentating on Sky who mentioned it first. To be honest, I think he's the only one mentioning it. No one else seemed to say anything.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I have seen us take some humiliations in recent seasons. Saw Spurs come to Old Trafford and score six. Saw Liverpool score five. Then four in the next game etc.

Every time Gary Neville was able to overlook the errors of players like Maguire and Shaw. Yet, all of a sudden, he's throwing s-t at Bruno.

Gary Neville has his favourites. Usually the players he's worked with as a coach. As you can see from him bending over backwards to justify Harry Kane trying to set his own price tag.

With these he will rarely, if ever, admit any fault. Everyone else is fair game though. It's sad to see his biases play out in real time.