Gary Speed Dead / RIP

Red Panda

I have only just heard about this news and it has genuinely saddened me. I watched Football Focus yesterday and he was very good indeed I thought. I'm very shocked to be honest. Thoughts with his family and friends. RIP Gary.

Devilton

What drives a young man with a family and so much to live for to go and hang himself?

Tragic waste of potential. Hopefully his family will have the strength to recover from this terrible ordeal.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Absolutely gutted.

Gorffwys yn Y brawd heddwch (correct me if im wrong, dont get the chance to speak much anymore)

A wales and PL legend

izzydiggler

My cousin and mother-in-law both committed suicide, so I've thought a lot about it and heard a lot of opinions (some truly ignorant ones too - people who say it's "selfish" really wind me up). Ultimately, I'm not sure a person of 'sound mind' can ever truly understand the thought process and what it's like to feel that way.

Such a tragic loss but highlights the need for a better understanding of mental health issues, not just in sport.

MUFCgal

this is nothing like that roided up murdering twat
It wasn't roid rage, to say that is just ignorance. That was ruled straight out. He was found to have brain damage, again mental illness which some people just dismiss.

Chris Jericho said that if you put 100 men in a row, and had to pick out the one least likely to do something like that, you'd pick Chris Benoit. Everybody said it was so out of character for the man, they couldn't believe it.

Some people get to such depths, that they don't know what they're doing. Whether it's suicide, hurting themselves or someone else, they don't realise what they're doing. Somebody with serious mental issues and has no idea of their actions cannot be held accountable.

Member 60376

RIP, would be extremely difficult for his family, what is surprising is that he was on FF yesterday and seemingly talking about his future plans, this might mean this was not predetermined but a spur of the moment decision. :(

sparky

RIP, would be extremely difficult for his family, what is surprising is that he was on FF yesterday and seemingly talking about his future plans, this might mean this was not predetermined but a spur of the moment decision. :(
Probably not. If you are determined to actually kill yourself, you are unlikely to tell people.

stubie

Shocked at this news. It just goes to show that you don't always know what goes on in the inside.

:( r.i.p.

Football has lost a true gent today

Member 60376

Probably not. If you are determined to actually kill yourself, you are unlikely to tell people.
That is true though. I somehow thought people shut themselves off from others as the time neared. It is difficult to maintain a semblance of normalcy when there is so much turmoil inside, but I guess if someone is determined they could do it.

Edmeiste

Think it's fair to say he was suffering from depression. I have no prior knowledge of his mental state, but I was talking with my mom about it. She's a family and marriage counselor and has dealt with clients who suffer from depression.

She said it's basically like you're being tormented and in most cases, people that are depressed do not show it. It's terrible because they feel that no one else can help them, no one can understand what they're going through, and that it's best that they go through it alone.

If the depression isn't dealt with, the person becomes more and more enveloped in their negative thoughts and they feel the only way to rid of the pain and sorrow and rid of the anguish is to kill themselves.

I'm not sure if this applies to Gary but I wouldn't be surprised if it did. Depression is really a terrible thing to suffer from and it's crazy to think that anti-depressants can make you eve more suicidal (Drugs like Zoloft for example). I guess that's just because everyone reacts to drugs differently.

In any case, if this was depression, it just shows the gravity of the situation. I'm not sure if anyone knows what could have triggered him to do this. Whether it was something that happened in his life or just a combination of things. Nonetheless, it is truly sad and my thoughts and prayers go out to the family.

It's just one of those things that just seems to defy logic. I think alot of people are just in utter belief that he's gone and the way he's gone out. The fact that he was on Football Focus (I believe) and sounding upbeat as if everything is going fine and then for this to happen, is just simply tragic.

Edmeiste

By the way, has anyone read EPLtalk's piece on Gary's death? I'd say it's bad timing. They bring up that his death is an example that the life of a footballer isn't necessarily rosy as we all think.........

They don't even know why he died!

I understand what they're saying but really? At a time like this?

Heardy

What's the likelihood he's had an affair and his Mississippi has found out?

He seemed perfectly normal on football focus yesterday, I can only assume something severely escalated last night!

Tragic nonetheless, you have to sympathise with someone's situation when suicide is seen as their best option.

Livvie

Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn
Scout
What's the likelihood he's had an affair and his Mississippi has found out?

He seemed perfectly normal on football focus yesterday, I can only assume something severely escalated last night!

Tragic nonetheless, you have to sympathise with someone's situation when suicide is seen as their best option.
Do you work for The Star?

Scrumpet

There are no words
I think in most cases, suicide is not something someone resorts to in the heat of the moment over something that has just happened. I think it's far more likely to be something they have been thinking about for a very long time, and they're just very good at hiding it from even those closest to them.

That said I also think there isn't much opint in us speculating as to why he may have done it.

Rip.

evra

Bitten by an adder as a baby, the adder died.
I think it's impossible for someone to understand a suicidal mind unless they have been in that situation, it's such an illogical act there must have been some mental problems unknown to the general public (and perhaps even to his family).

rednev

There is non worthy of worship except God
I think it's impossible for someone to understand a suicidal mind unless they have been in that situation, it's such an illogical act there must have been some mental problems unknown to the general public (and perhaps even to his family).
Well, it's one of either two things, or a combination of two. He was either suffering from some kind of mental illness and felt he could no longer continue, or something terrible happened in the hours or days before his death which made him feel taking his life was his best option. It's entirely possible that it was a logical act, but it's probably more likely that it was due to depression/mental illness issues.

Nucks

RT History Department
When talk of suicide is mentioned around people who seemingly have everything that you could want, you know something isn't right. Either with our perception of how great it is to be in the spotlight, or with our understanding of their situations.

Gary Speed was doing an epic job with Wales, living here it has been great seeing how excited some fans are about their national side for the next few years. Don't know how this will set them back.

Rest In Peace Gary.
I know that for some ex-athletes, the end of their playing career can be extremely depressing. Something that they might deem as being the highlight of their life ending can be devastating.

RIP.

FortBoyard

gets teste with iPads
Supports
Bitter Racism
I've been out all day but when I heard this on the radio my jaw dropped.

Truly horrific and a sad reminder of the fragility of human emotion and the mind, how someone who would be seen to have it all to feel empty and hopeless enough to kill themselves really hits hard.

bazalini

The Baz Man - He made us laugh 2000 - 2012
thoughts are with his family, wife and kids.

Only yesterday Stan Collymore asked people to reach out to the support bases in the community, in the event of feeling suicidal. Suicide is a selfish act and people need to be aware of the anger and heartache left behind.

rednev

I've heard some other rumours on twitter.

I don't believe anything.....i'm just saying it.
Yeah, I've seen the rumours. Probably plucked from thin air. But it's not entirely impossible that something terrible happened which made him make a logical decision to take his life. We just don't know.

Hal9000

Yeah, I've seen the rumours. Probably plucked from thin air. But it's not entirely impossible that something terrible happened which made him make a logical decision to take his life. We just don't know.
If it's the same rumours iv'e seen, it wouldn't be surprising considering some of the stories about press behaviour that have come out of the current running inquiry.

Alilaw

I'm not sure there's anything which could mean that decision to take one's own life would be described as 'logical'.

rednev

I'm not sure there's anything which could mean that decision to take one's own life would be described as 'logical'.
I don't know, I can think of a few. Just an example, but Hitler's decision to kill himself in his bunker as Russian forces closed in on Berlin was probably quite logical. I suppose when I talk about possible logic in Gary Speed's case, I'm talking about a decision in the absence of mental illness. I guess there is always going to be the presence of strong emotion, which will inevitably cloud logic.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
It wasn't roid rage, to say that is just ignorance. That was ruled straight out. He was found to have brain damage, again mental illness which some people just dismiss.

Chris Jericho said that if you put 100 men in a row, and had to pick out the one least likely to do something like that, you'd pick Chris Benoit. Everybody said it was so out of character for the man, they couldn't believe it.

Some people get to such depths, that they don't know what they're doing. Whether it's suicide, hurting themselves or someone else, they don't realise what they're doing. Somebody with serious mental issues and has no idea of their actions cannot be held accountable.
Not the correct thread to be discussing this, but they found a hell of a lot of steroids in his house. He had years of steroid abuse unfortunately