Gavin Bazunu

Oranges038

Another howler just now, apparently. I’ve cursed him with this thread. Oh dear.
Guilty of it myself.

I think he's really struggling with the increase in pace to the PL, players just get their shots away that split second earlier in the PL, could probably have done with another year in the Championship.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Might be dropped now. Kelleher needs to leave Liverpool, he has a big opportunity to get the Irish no. one spot.

cyberman

Might be dropped now. Kelleher needs to leave Liverpool, he has a big opportunity to get the Irish no. one spot.
Is that a big motivating factor though? It’s not as if they’re fighting for a shot at being number 1 at a World Cup.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Is that a big motivating factor though? It’s not as if they’re fighting for a shot at being number 1 at a World Cup.
Putting in good international performances can get you in the window for a better move. It’s a big reason this lad got a move in the first place.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Better move than playing for Liverpool though?
he can get a better wage being a starter for a PL club than on the bench for Liverpool and play more games. He has had 19 games in 5 seasons for them. It’s not really “playing”.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Hasn't put a foot wrong today, not looking like anything will go past him, amazing young keeper.

Ole'sgunnarwin

I'd be keeping an eye on this guy as a De Gea replacement. Very solid, extremely good with his feet. Never seen him make a mistake. Ever

marktan

I think he's pretty average to be honest. Lets in a lot of goals that better keepers don't.

Keepers like Guita and Sanchez have a lot more to their game.

Big Ray

I think he's pretty average to be honest. Lets in a lot of goals that better keepers don't.

Keepers like Guita and Sanchez have a lot more to their game.
No, he’s an excellent goalkeeper.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Hasn't put a foot wrong today, not looking like anything will go past him, amazing young keeper.
In the context of this game, yes, in every other game, no.

BerryBerryShrew

I haven't seen much of him for Southampton, but a lot of their fans wanted him dropped before the World Cup. Don't know if his form has picked up since but he was certainly excellent today.

Kinsella

Copy & Paste Merchant
He’s only just turned 21 - a toddler for a keeper. Correct if I’m wrong but don’t City have some sort of buy-back clause with Southampton for him?

mu4c_20le

One of the league's worst keepers (statistically even worse than Ward) until today

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
He’s only just turned 21 - a toddler for a keeper. Correct if I’m wrong but don’t City have some sort of buy-back clause with Southampton for him?
I believe so, yes. Same with Lavia too.

Malone_Post

I'd be keeping an eye on this guy as a De Gea replacement. Very solid, extremely good with his feet. Never seen him make a mistake. Ever
What?? He makes mistakes on a nearly weekly basis. Some of the goals he concedes are amateur stuff. He’s a genuinely terrible keeper.

So of course he turned into prime Buffon today.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
What?? He makes mistakes on a nearly weekly basis. Some of the goals he concedes are amateur stuff. He’s a genuinely terrible keeper.
Couple of us with failed jinx attempts in this thread today unfortunately.

Oscar Bonavena

He's been atrocious this season, flapping at crosses, letting easy shots in left, right and centre, terrible positioning........so obviously puts in a Balon d'Or performance against us.

lsd

The Oracle
Wow I think he is an excellent keeper would love to see him at United

Bwuk

He’s rubbish and if he wasn’t Irish we wouldn’t be talking about him

Oranges038

He's actually not been as bad the last few games. Looks like he's getting up to speed with the game in the PL.

I thought he'd be better, but his shot stopping has let him down badly, he's been atrocious in that reapect this season. He's been decent enough at everything else though.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
His PSxG is -11.1. That is really really bad. De Gea is at -4.3 for perspective. Out of possible and probable available keepers this summer, Raya and Pickford are +2.4 and 2.1 respectively. Southampton have tried to integrate too many youngsters with potential at this level. The risk might pay off but it doesn't look like it will.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Just had a look on fbref again and his PSxG is again the worse in the league...

Maybe worth taking with a pinch of salt though as Onana actually has quite a good one!

Robbie Boy

Still very young, but anytime I've watched him, he looks ropey.

Last edited:

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Yeah, he had a pretty brutal year last year and the Southampton fans were not happy. He does seem to be doing better this year and was outstanding the other night for them. He's done the right thing, he's out playing proper men's football since he was 19, making his mistakes and has the strength of character to take it on the chin and learn from it. I have every confidence in him. I think he'll be great.

TheReligion

Abusive
Rocky start to this season but getting very good reviews for club and country over the last few weeks. Still only a baby for a goalkeeper (21) too. I reckon this might be him turning a corner.
Yeah, he had a pretty brutal year last year and the Southampton fans were not happy. He does seem to be doing better this year and was outstanding the other night for them. He's done the right thing, he's out playing proper men's football since he was 19, making his mistakes and has the strength of character to take it on the chin and learn from it. I have every confidence in him. I think he'll be great.
Not really sure what he excels at tbh? 22 soon and not sure there’s any real improvement. Meslier looks the better prospect at the moment and seems to have something about him.

Both could go either way though. Goalkeeping is a tough gig.