GB News; UK Right Leaning 24 Hour 'News' Channel

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Viewing figures are supposed to be terrible.

• BBC News at Ten: 3.6 million
  • BBC News 1pm: 2.4 million
  • ITV News at Ten: 1.5 million
  • BBC Breakfast: 1.4 million
  • BBC Question Time: 1.3 million
  • Good Morning Britain: 717,000
  • BBC News 9am: 294,000
  • BBC Newsnight: 286,000
  • Kay Burley, Sky: 54,000
  • Sky News Ian King: 42,000
  • Great British Breakfast on GB News: 32,000
  • Andrew Neil: 31,000
  • GB News DePerio & Halligan 16,000
  • GB News Brazier & Muroki: 11,000

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Andrew ain’t seeing it

"Great figures on @OANN Terk Ar Jerbs show last night. Number one in time slot (again). Three times audience of CNN. 26% more than Fox News Channel. And we’ve only just begun."

It just seems all too familiar.

Fluctuation0161

:lol:

This project deserves to fall.

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
They need Ron Burgundy, he'd actually increase credibility as well as ratings.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
Get Madeley in and watch those ratings rocket!

Tarrou

I doubt anyone watches it because of this thread

maybe tuned in for 2 minutes to see how awful it was, and that's it

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
GB News can get fecked but it is a serious issue. Someone put a CCTV in the cnuts private office without his permission. That's J Edgar Hoover levels of wrong.

Last edited:

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
GB News can get decks but it is a serious issue. Someone put a CCTV in the cnuts private office without his permission. That's J Edgar Hoover levels of wrong.
Did they - or had it always been there - he was fully aware of it and just stuipid / arrogant enough not to care

I mean that sounds more likley to me than somebody getting in to a secure government office, installing CCTV without peoples knowledge and then exposing said CCTV just for a photo of Handcock getting handsy... the simplest explanation is often the right one and him being stupid wouldnt shock me

Boycott

I predicted it would become a tv version of talkradio but I had thought they would not collapse in ratings compared to the others while the football is on and everyone across the board takes a hit. Neil only getting 30k is hilarious

Drifter

American
After making its splash, GB News' audience sinks

As John Whittingdale fielded questions over the future of Channel 4, he took the chance to defend the broadcaster's latest challenger.

GB News has endured a choppy two-weeks punctuated by technical problems, viewer complaints, advertising boycotts and a stand-off with rivals over access to footage.

Yet according to the media minister, there was no indication that the opinionated channel would find itself on a collision course over impartiality with the government or the media regulator Ofcom.

"I think viewers appreciate having provocative views expressed, as long as it doesn't turn into a propaganda station," he told an event hosted by Voice of the Listener and Viewer on Wednesday.

"I don't think there is any sign of GB News doing that in the same way that any other broadcaster [would]."

Such reassurance would be welcome news for GB News executives if they were not grappling with a much bigger problem.

After sprinting out of the blocks with viewing figures that left other news broadcasters trailing, GB News is now at risk of losing its sizzle.

On Sunday July 13, the channel's opening show hosted by broadcasting veteran Andrew Neil attracted an average audience of 262,000. That figure peaked at 336,000 in the opening minutes.

It provided an early blow to BBC News and Sky News, which hauled in respective viewing numbers of 100,000 and 46,000, according to analysis by TV ratings compiler BARB.

Since then, the channel trying to capitalise on the culture wars has found itself caught in a game of catch-up.

GB News clocked an average daily audience of 42,000 on Monday, June 21. By the end of the week, viewing had drifted down to 31,000 - well below the respective 95,000 and 59,000 viewers notched by BBC News and Sky News.

Meanwhile, the channel's flagship 8pm show, spearheaded by Neil, has also shown signs of strain.

After clocking 164,000 viewers on the day after launch, Neil's show struggled to draw crowds consistently.

Viewing figures have dipped below the 100,000 mark, dropping as low as 33,000 on Thursday last week.

The Euro 2020 tournament may be partly to blame. Many broadcasters face a battle to keep their audience share as viewers flock to the football.

Yet there are fears GB News' early dip may be the first signs of a lasting decline.

The channel needs an average daily audience of 139,000 to attract the advertising spend needed to break even on annual costs of £25m, according to Enders Analysis.

With Neil - GB News' star attraction - also taking a summer break to recharge his batteries, the route to safety grows tougher by the day.

Still, the 72-year-old former BBC presenter remains characteristically defiant in the face of doubting voices.

Announcing his hiatus on Thursday night, he put a gloss on the channel's early efforts.

"Yes we had a bit of a rocky start at the launch of GB News," he said on his 8pm show. "We are a start-up. They are always a bit rocky these start-ups, but we are up and running as you can see.

"We get better every day and there is clearly an appetite for what we are doing. In two short weeks we have already built a loyal audience, which has beaten all of our expectations."

Turning a promising start into lasting success was always going to be a tall order.

Sky News has persistently recorded annual losses of around £40m.

But GB News may not wish to test its investors' patience by failing to turn a profit in the early years.

Furthermore, the pandemic-induced advertising crash has also soured a notoriously tough environment for news broadcasters.

TV advertising fell 12pc to £4.3bn in 2020, according to the Advertising Association/WARC, although it is poised to grow by 9pc this year.

GB News also faced the added difficulty of overcoming a lukewarm enthusiasm from advertisers when it came to buying slots around news coverage.

"News programmes are subject to more stringent rules than other genres, making it harder to monetise," according to a GB News report by Jamie McGowan Stuart at Enders Analysis.

"They therefore deliver fewer commercial impacts than would be expected for their share of commercial viewing.

"Revenues are further impacted because advertisers are, by and large, unlikely to request to advertise specifically around news programming, while others would actively avoid it."

GB News will be expecting more heavy-lifting from Neil, whose BBC programmes The Andrew Neil Show and This Week averaged at more than 800,000 two years ago.

McGowan Stuart believes he faces hefty challenges, with GB News sitting much further down the channel guides than BBC One or Two, and his 8pm show competing in the prime time slot with soaps such as Coronation Street and Eastenders.

Yet, maybe GB News can still find success without attracting huge audiences.

The channel is also weighing whether it can find financial security with a model more recently pursued by national newspapers.

GB News wants to test whether a core group of 150,000 superfans would be willing to pay £5 a month subscription to help bolster revenues, according to reports.

But that too comes with its share of challenges.

"Experiences and subscription content require additional perks to convince people to pay," McGowan Stuart adds.

"A challenge for GB News when it is already committing so much resource to its broadcast output."

The weeks ahead will provide a clearer picture of how hungry audiences are for GB News' disruptive brand of opinionated news.

Neil has made it clear that he would be willing to cut his break short and appear on air "should news events demand it."

"I’m simply taking a break to replenish my batteries after the rigours of the launch," he said. "Plus I have other business matters to attend to. I’ll be back before the summer is out brimming with ideas."

If audience numbers remain under pressure, GB News executives may have no choice but to place him on speed dial.

Stevondo8

I mean... there's just one vote.

Or is that the joke.

I struggle in knowing what the joke is supposed to be with GB News, because there are so many options.
Ended up with 37k votes (that’s every viewer right?), 72% say no. Think the above is more an example of how right said Fred person is a bit of a joke.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
There's plenty of ways to take the piss out of something that's basically amateur hour Fox News, but I'm not sure the number of votes they have on a poll after 15 seconds of it being up is a major point scorer to be fair. :lol:

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
There's plenty of ways to take the piss out of something that's basically amateur hour Fox News, but I'm not sure the number of votes they have on a poll after 15 seconds of it being up is a major point scorer to be fair. :lol:
The joke is on Right wing Fred.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
The joke is on Right wing Fred.
Ah fair enough then, no idea who/what that is. If they're anti-mask and tweeting that in support of that view then, that's too dumb for me to have even considered the angle. :D

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Are Right Said Fred anti-maskers?

I've got my signed RSF vinyl in my hands and my ready to snap it in two

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
They're too stupid for their brain.
:lol:Do they post as a singular entity?

I mean... there's just one vote.

Or is that the joke.

I struggle in knowing what the joke is supposed to be with GB News, because there are so many options.
It works both ways with the added beauty of Right Said Fred randomly wading into the debate.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
:lol:

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
Doesn't mean much. Plenty of non-famous people have ticks and verified statuses on twitter

You see United fan accounts with verified status, and then actual journalists like John Brewin get denied

I was being sarcastic Damo :)

F-Red

Are Right Said Fred anti-maskers?
Yeah, they're quite outspoken on it. There's a lot of musicians/djs/producers who are, there's an easy comparison to make that those most affected financially by restrictions tend to shout the loudest.

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-...said-fred-anti-lockdown-protest-b1759134.html

:lol:Do they post as a singular entity?
You'd like to think that they don't, because they both can't be both as thick as this.

Superden

nice of Big Sam to put that glorified showbiz gossip monger / culture war general / leading authority on immunology Dan 'wanker' Wooton in his place. Also note that the leave.uk ex mep Daubney is always ontop of the replies, how on earth has he still got a platform and is supported when he has made so many racist, incendiary remarks.