GB News; UK Right Leaning 24 Hour 'News' Channel

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Imagine complaining that GB news is going too far left.

What would be acceptable to them? Will they need to dig up the corpse of Enoch Powell and have Andrew Neill puppeteer him in a weekend at Bernie’s scenario?

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Imagine complaining that GB news is going too far left.

What would be acceptable to them? Will they need to dig up the corpse of Enoch Powell and have Andrew Neill puppeteer him in a weekend at Bernie’s scenario?
Issue an apology and a sieg heil

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
“We do not have a company line on taking the knee.”

“Oh but the guy who took the knee breached our standards.”
Not just a breach, an unacceptable breach.

Their viewing figures are still on the floor - I wonder how long they’ll last and how many of their team are regretting moving.

Trequarista10

Who took the knee on GB News and what was the context and reaction on air? Would love to see it. I don't even get how the situation arose, do they start the show with national anthem or something?

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout

Both sides. The racists and the anti-racists.
How complex is the argument meant to be? Don't be racist fecks. Let's start with that and work our way up.
Who took the knee on GB News and what was the context and reaction on air? Would love to see it. I don't even get how the situation arose, do they start the show with national anthem or something?
Can't find the video anymore but It was actually quite decent. He started off by saying that he didn't understand the action to begin with and thought it was a load of shit, but after the disgusting crap that the England players received he started to understand. He did this after taking the knee and saying "it's a simple gesture but it manages to say a lot" or something like that. As he was still kneeling he was talking about how it symbolises that racism isn't ok and it's a sign of unity.

That's what probably worried his bosses more than anything; that he found information outside of their bubble and realised he might be wrong.

NotThatSoph

"Taki" is a pretty influental figure in the far right sphere. This isn't the case of The Spectator platforming someone who just so happens to have far right views, this is The Spectator platforming a prominent far right person.

Trequarista10

How complex is the argument meant to be? Don't be racist fecks. Let's start with that and work our way up.

Can't find the video anymore but It was actually quite decent. He started off by saying that he didn't understand the action to begin with and thought it was a load of shit, but after the disgusting crap that the England players received he started to understand. He did this after taking the knee and saying "it's a simple gesture but it manages to say a lot" or something like that. As he was still kneeling he was talking about how it symbolises that racism isn't ok and it's a sign of unity.

That's what probably worried his bosses more than anything; that he found information outside of their bubble and realised he might be wrong.
Nice. Similar to my own view of it actually, thought it was misplaced originally as it was linked to events in the US, but it has become a powerful statement against racism broadly.

Doesn't surprise me GB News would have to condemn it to appease their viewers. It's not a platform for free speech or balanced rationality, and doesn't even pretend to have any such moral guiding principle. It's a platform for right wing speech and that's it, that's it only purpose, its a purpose built bubble. You could even call it. .. A safe space!

My main concern is that other people who are somewhat like me, who are fundamentally left wing, especially economically, but dislike some of the loonier elements of the woke left, may get lured in by this upper class, conservative platform, as they attempt to portray themselves as the anti-woke option. Some of the segments and contributors show theyre trying to tap into that demographic. Obviously what's needed is a news station that is aggressively left wing and aggressively anti-woke, but I fear I'd be one of only 100 potential viewers, and I wouldn't be arsed to watch anyway.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Nice. Similar to my own view of it actually, thought it was misplaced originally as it was linked to events in the US, but it has become a powerful statement against racism broadly.

Doesn't surprise me GB News would have to condemn it to appease their viewers. It's not a platform for free speech or balanced rationality, and doesn't even pretend to have any such moral guiding principle. It's a platform for right wing speech and that's it, that's it only purpose, its a purpose built bubble. You could even call it. .. A safe space!

My main concern is that other people who are somewhat like me, who are fundamentally left wing, especially economically, but dislike some of the loonier elements of the woke left, may get lured in by this upper class, conservative platform, as they attempt to portray themselves as the anti-woke option. Some of the segments and contributors show theyre trying to tap into that demographic. Obviously what's needed is a news station that is aggressively left wing and aggressively anti-woke, but I fear I'd be one of only 100 potential viewers, and I wouldn't be arsed to watch anyway.
It's a minefield sometime isn't it? I'm the same as you if I'm honest but it's my kids that keep me in check. That sounds weird but I think back to some of the things my parents would come out with and how appalled I was - and it was because they were out of touch with what was going on with society at large.

It makes sense though; when you're a kid you obviously have to deal with schoolwork but other than that you're usually engaging with people socially all the time. When you're an adult there's a multitude of things to deal with every day and you're lucky if you can focus on one task for a single hour, so obviously the public consensus isn't really on your radar.

That's why when my kids kept going on at me for deadnaming Elliot Page (which was purely because I know them by an earlier name in their career as I was a big fan of their films) I just sucked it up and dealt with it. Kids don't have the experience to get their point across without sounding like a cnut, much like a new driver is dodgy on roundabouts. But at least they're going in the right direction so there's no reason not to follow them.

Unfortunately GB News is enticing to those "how dare people talk to ME like that! Show me some damn respect!" types. So they take the easy route of just condemning anything that "attacks" their existing world view. Some of the "cancel culture" stuff is a bit on the nose but when you strip away the teenage/internet aggression and emotions it's usually embedded in sound reasoning.

NotThatSoph

As if the entire subject matter wasn't outrageous enough, the title is just... something else. It's not "The Germans also fought bravely", it's the real story, the true story.
I think I mentioned this elsewhere, but Taki isn't some loon that GB News just happened to publish. He's a loon alright, but he's a known commodity in the far right community. They know perfectly well what they're doing, no wink wink but rather heil heil. He's a nazi and they know.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
https://www.theguardian.com/media/2...ro-viewers-after-boycott-over-taking-the-knee

Oh dear, cancel culture damaging their viewing figures now.
GB News attracted zero viewers during some of its broadcasts this week, according to official television audience figures produced by rating agency Barb, after a viewer boycott prompted by one of its presenters taking the knee in solidarity with the England football team.

The channel has now said the decision of Guto Harri to make the on-air gesture on Tuesday in solidarity against the racist abuse suffered by English players was “an unacceptable breach of our standards”.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
what was the first tweet (deleted)? second one is beautiful in itself though.
It was the video tweeted by GBNews of Harri taking the knee which caused their audience to boycott the channel.

Harri quoting the tweet GBNews made of the video (which has ironically since been deleted by the 'free speech champions')

@esmufc07's mate reacts

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
It’s remarkable how Fox manages to come up with more and more stupid takes. It must be absolutely exhausting.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Zero viewers :lol:

I’ll be amazed if it’s still here at the end of the year. Even Neil hasn’t tweeted anything GB news related for ten days now.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
Zero viewers :lol:

I’ll be amazed if it’s still here at the end of the year. Even Neil hasn’t tweeted anything GB news related for ten days now.
It’s entire purpose was to drive the main Tory strategy which was to stoke a culture war. A strategy which in recent weeks has backfired spectacularly thanks to the England National Football Team and the Tories appear to be back tracking on that and changing strategy.

So it’s become a bit redundant now.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
What's this about? Did they actually get zero viewers?
I think it’s too small to measure. They probably have like a margin of error of like 100/500/1000 viewers either way and it fell short of that margin of error so they can’t confidently give a viewing figure.

LARulz

Working in the news media industry, it's great to see. Andrew Neil fecking off after 2 weeks was a proper blow. They will do a relaunch in September no doubt but I almost feel/hope it's too little too late