General Election 2017 | Cabinet reshuffle: Hunt re-appointed Health Secretary for record third time

How do you intend to vote in the 2017 General Election if eligible?

• Conservatives

Votes: 80 14.5%
  • Labour

Votes: 322 58.4%
  • Lib Dems

Votes: 57 10.3%
  • Green

Votes: 20 3.6%
  • SNP

Votes: 13 2.4%
  • UKIP

Votes: 29 5.3%
  • Independent

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • Plaid Cymru

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Sinn Fein

Votes: 11 2.0%
  • Other (UUP, DUP, BNP, and anyone else I have forgotten)

Votes: 14 2.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Fergies Gum

What the feck is going on? Is he hoping we'll forgive him and hide him in the country should he be discovered to have helped the Russians in the US election?
Maybe he thinks Ukip stand a chance of winning in Thanet now that the Tory candidate has been tarnished.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

What the feck is going on? Is he hoping we'll forgive him and hide him in the country should he be discovered to have helped the Russians in the US election?
Did you read the article? Mackinlay beat Farage in the '15 election.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
That's known but Farage being so positive to the mainstream media is strange. He's always loved claiming bias against his party etc.

Silva

That's known but Farage being so positive to the mainstream media is strange. He's always loved claiming bias against his party etc.
Yeah, exactly that. He's also been surprisingly complimentary of people who was shit talking while campaigning for Brexit. At this rate he'll be campaigning for the Green party at the next election.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Maybe he thinks Ukip stand a chance of winning in Thanet now that the Tory candidate has been tarnished.
Think that's almost impossible considering the general decline in UKIP. They couldn't manage in 2015 with their central figure contesting it. If anything Labour may stand to benefit.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Yeah, exactly that. He's also been surprisingly complimentary of people who was shit talking while campaigning for Brexit.
Yeah fair enough, I was just taking it as face value. Like Trump thanking articles from fake news New York Times that happen to agree with him.

He has been acting strangely these last few days, positive words about Corbyn was definitely out of character.

It's why I just can't help but think that the right wing want the Tories to lose and Labour to have to deal with the poisoned chalice. There's along term strategy there that worries me.

Silva

Corbyn:
“A Jammie Dodger. He dodges all the important questions.” “A Custard Cream. It’s not something you’d go, ‘ooh, I want a Custard Cream’. I’d take it if it was given to me, I wouldn’t choose it off the shelf.” “Bourbon. The kind that nobody really wants but it’s often the only one left.” “Hard tack army rations. They taste horrible, they don’t fill you up, they’re not much use for anything.”

May:
“She likes shoes.” “She wants to bring back fox hunting.” “She spent a thousand pounds on a pair of trousers, didn’t she?.”

“A Jaffa Cake. She’s nice on the outside, but I don’t like the middle of a Jaffa Cake.” “A cookie. They’re tough, and they crumble.” “One of them hard ones at the bottom of the tin that have been there six months. It looks quite nice but you bite it and break all your teeth.”
Descriptions from a Lord Ashcroft focus group :lol:

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Who is this scum that doesn't like bourbons.

montpelier

I think if you take a form line through the Barnet & York QTs of the last 2 nights - both reasonably representative audiences in their different ways - May would seem to have it in the bag now by a reasonable margin.

Corbyn done very well up to tonight, May pretty bad up to tonight. Tories & their press will have a good last weekend now though, after that.

@Silva

Silva

And if the Leader of the Opposition were a drink? “A smoothie or something, made out of something organic and foul.” “Ale. A down-to-earth pint. Something your dad would drink, your Grampy.” “Bitter lemon. Because he’s bitter, and a lemon.”

What about if Theresa May were a drink? “Bailey’s or prosecco. Because she’s sophisticated, she’s classy.” “Strong builder’s tea that you forgot to drink and it’s gone cold.” “A glass of water. You need it to survive, but there’s nothing to it.” “A double vodka. Comes with a kick.”
Why are they asking these questions :lol:

Smores

I love that some people here actually think Corbyn saying publicly that he would or wouldn't use the nuclear weapon in retaliation is a factor in whether a country would nuke us or not. The simpleton logic is astounding :lol:

Silva

I think if you take a form line through the Barnet & York QTs of the last 2 nights - both reasonably representative audiences in their different ways - May would seem to have it in the bag now by a reasonable margin.

Corbyn done very well up to tonight, May pretty bad up to tonight. Tories & their press will have a good last weekend now though, after that.

@Silva
What's a reasonable margin? 50ish seats?

Smores

I didn't think Corbyn did particularity well tonight but journalists seem to have him winning over May.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
I love that some people here actually think Corbyn saying publicly that he would or wouldn't use the nuclear weapon in retaliation is a factor in whether a country would nuke us or not. The simpleton logic is astounding :lol:
Wars have frequently been started because one side doubts the other will respond. It was certainly a major factor in Argentina invading the Falklands and Saddam invading Kuwait. Ambiguity is not helpful in international diplomacy.

DenisIrwin

Wars have frequently been started because one side doubts the other will respond. It was certainly a major factor in Argentina invading the Falklands and Saddam invading Kuwait. Ambiguity is not helpful in international diplomacy.
Elections have sometimes been called when an easy win was predicted.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
That was painstakingly bad on the nuclear question. Just say I would hate to use it but if the situation demands it I'd have to and move on.

Other than that he outperformed her but no one will remember that.

montpelier

What's a reasonable margin? 50ish seats?
Starting at 50 even, :(.

I don't know, might be quite lively but I kinda worry about the Labour vote holding up in places that haven't felt the austerity because that's all they know anyway but they blame the Forrins insurgency (that a lot never see btw) instead of the Conservative government doing the cutting.

Like the Brexit vote basically but slightly offset by a few warming to Corbyn who hadn't previously. Core vote of the Tories won't go away from them & they have some coming back from UKIP too.

Unless the young vote goes berserk.

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
So, what's everyone's predictions as things stand? I think Labour will get a bigger share of the vote than 2 years ago, but the Tories will still increase their MP share slightly.
Tories 320 - 380
Labour 200 - 260

Smores

Yes Mr Putin they do have nuclear weapons but they promised not to use them so we'll be fine nuking them :lol:

When you're talking about nuclear weapons there is no reduced risk ffs.

Silva

The audience member who challenged Theresa May over her record of “broken promises and backtracking” during the BBC Question Time leaders' special is chairman of Ukip’s youth wing at York University, the Press Association reports.

In a fiery opening exchange, Abigail Eatock told May that she had U-turned on her decision not to call an election and on her social care plans.

And she accused her of ducking debates with Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn, who was appearing separately on the programme after the PM refused to go head to head with her rival.

Soon after the back-and-forth, a Ukip source confirmed that Ms Eatock is the chairman of Young Independence, the party’s youth wing, at York University, where the BBC One event was being held.

God damn. The MVP was UKIP.

MikeUpNorth

Yes Mr Putin they do have nuclear weapons but they promised not to use them so we'll be fine nuking them :lol:

When you're talking about nuclear weapons there is no reduced risk ffs.
Ok General, let's throw out all the long established principles when it comes to nuclear diplomacy and deterrence that have prevented nuclear war for 70 years and go with this new strategy. What could possibly go wrong.

Silva

Ok General, let's throw out all the long established principles when it comes to nuclear diplomacy and deterrence that have prevented nuclear war for 70 years and go with this new strategy. What could possibly go wrong.
We should go back to champions fighting each other, fist fight to the death, winner take all!

Smores

There is no new strategy, trident is getting renewal. It persists as a deterrent.

You honestly believe Corbyn not declaring publicly has an impact don't you. Incredible

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
I'll go Tory majority of 75.

Manny

Grammar Police
There is no new strategy, trident is getting renewal. It persists as a deterrent.

You honestly believe Corbyn not declaring publicly has an impact don't you. Incredible
Yeah, anyone planning to attack the UK would already know JC be reluctant press the button so it makes no difference what he did or didn't say. And in terms of elections, he'd have lost credibility with the public if he said anything different.

Pointless trying to appease those war mongering Daily Mail readers anyway. They'll never vote for him.

MikeUpNorth

"In 1949, the Soviets detonated an atomic bomb, ending American atomic hegemony and beginning the Cold War in earnest. Both sides were eager to expand their spheres of influence, particularly in Asia, which was seen as still ripe for ideological picking. In January 1950, Secretary of State Dean Acheson delivered a speech at the National Press Club. During the speech, which was delivered informally and without notes, Acheson identified a line around the globe that America would defend with all its might. The only problem was that his description of the line left out Korea, despite the growing communist forces gathered in the North. The communist Koreans were said to have taken the speech as a “green light” that they could invade the South without American intervention. Emboldened, they did so shortly afterwards. Of course, as we all know, the US did intend to defend South Korea. The ensuing war lasted three years and left millions dead."

Words can matter.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
I just want to know whether they people asking the questions know how the Nuclear deterrent works.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
I know we already know this dynamic, but still really stark to see the trends

(last one should be 2017, obvs)

Smores

Yeah, anyone planning to attack the UK would already know JC be reluctant press the button so it makes no difference what he did or didn't say. And in terms of elections, he'd have lost credibility with the public if he said anything different.

Pointless trying to appease those war mongering Daily Mail readers anyway. They'll never vote for him.
That really isn't the point, no state when posed with the risk of us utilising our nukes against them is going to deem that risk negible because of the prior words of a state leader. Under such a situation you know actions may vary and authorities may change, heck you know a rogue situation is a possibility. The risks are too high.

If an enemy is beyond that rationale our deterrent has already failed and words matter not.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
I know we already know this dynamic, but still really stark to see the trends
(last one should be 2017, obvs)
Think it's pretty dangerous.