German Football 21/22 | Gladbach sign Farke

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Max Kruse proposed to his girlfriend live on TV after the match against Saudi Arabia at the Olympics. :lol:

Update: His girlfriend said "Yes".
Good for him, let's just hope that this is not the last great story from the Olympics for Germany :lol:

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Schalke's season not starting well:
Yesterday they confirmed that Danny Latza, their captain and designated center piece of the squad, will be out for "months rather than weeks". And in true Schalke fashion their coach is already quoted by Bild, stating that he needs a replacement, "because we don't have a squad where 20 players are top [level]".

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Schalke's season not starting well:
Yesterday they confirmed that Danny Latza, their captain and designated center piece of the squad, will be out for "months rather than weeks". And in true Schalke fashion their coach is already quoted by Bild, stating that he needs a replacement, "because we don't have a squad where 20 players are top [level]".
Will be a very tough season for Bremen and Schalke, more or less half of the league could be in the race for promotion to the first league. There are no guarantees for anyone...

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Will be a very tough season for Bremen and Schalke, more or less half of the league could be in the race for promotion to the first league. There are no guarantees for anyone...
This is obviously prematurely, but in my mind I have already written off Schalke: their squad is already through and through 2nd division quality, Latza - being born in Gelsenkirchen and probably having forsaken better offers to join them - is the player who was probably supposed to keep the team together in more than one sense, his injury is quite a painful loss and most importantly (but again, maybe misleading, since small sample size) their football didn't look better than last season and seems to be defensive first again.

I missed Bremen vs Hannover, so I don't have any actual match footage to go on, but I'm actually surprised how many players Bremen have managed to hold on to (for now), like Füllkrug, Sargent, M. Eggestein and Toprak firmly belong in the first division. On the other hand the squad seems to have carried over the imbalance from last season in attack, having more or less three central strikers in Osako, Sargent and Füllkrüg; M.Eggestein doesn't seem like someone who can run a midfield and I don't see where the creativity or trickery is going to come from, when you play Sargent and Agu (he's more of a L(W)B, right?!) out wide. I think Füllkrug is a pretty good finisher and he can potentially really shine in the 2nd division, but it might be best for them to get rid of Sargent and try to buy another midfielder and winger or two.
In any case I remember reading a quote from Baumann that they are expecting to do another 15-20 transfers still, so they are probably as messed up as Schalke in the end.

DFL also didn't do either club any favors with the scheduling, pairing them with more or less prominent opponents (Hannover, Düsseldorf; Hamburg, Kiel) at the beginning, setting them up for an early crisis. Yet - again - on the other hand Kiel have lost a lot of players and just lost 0:3 to Schalke, so maybe they are actually a good opponent to get at this stage.

Last edited:

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
This is obviously prematurely, but in my mind I have already written off Schalke: their squad is already through and through 2nd division quality, Latza - being born in Gelsenkirchen and probably having forsaken better offers to join them - is the player who was probably supposed to keep the team together in more than one sense, his injury is quite a painful loss and most importantly (but again, maybe misleading, since small sample size) their football didn't look better than last season and seems to be defensive first again.

I missed Bremen vs Hannover, so I don't have any actual match footage to go on, but I'm actually surprised how many players Bremen have managed to hold on to (for now), like Füllkrug, Sargent, M. Eggestein and Toprak firmly belong in the first division. On the other hand the squad seems to have carried over the imbalance from last season in attack, having more or less three central strikers in Osako, Sargent and Füllkrüg; M.Eggestein doesn't seem like someone who can run a midfield and I don't see where the creativity or trickery is going to come from, when you play Sargent and Agu (he's more of a L(W)B, right?!) out wide. I think Füllkrug is a pretty good finisher and he can potentially really shine in the 2nd division, but it might be best for them to get rid of Sargent and try to buy another midfielder and winger or two.
In any case I remember reading a quote from Baumann that they are expecting to do another 15-20 transfers still, so they are probably as messed up as Schalke in the end.

DFL also didn't do either club any favors with the scheduling, pairing them with more or less prominent opponents (Hannover, Düsseldorf; Hamburg, Kiel) at the beginning, setting them up for an early crisis. Yet - again - on the other hand Kiel have lost a lot of players and just lost 0:3 to Schalke, so maybe they are actually a good opponent to get at this stage.
I agree with your observations, but I think a bit different about what it means. Schalke has massively changed their squad, they now have a second league level squad, that is true, but that squad is sustainable. I don't think they have to be promoted immediately to prevent bankruptcy, compared to the expected chaos they seem to have a really solid squad, that could go far if everything clicks together, and if not should stay sonewhere in midfield of the league, that is more likely.

Bremen on the other hand are fecked. They need to sell players for a lot of money and there are just no offers incoming, rumuors so far were just clubs trying to rob them, but nothing that would make sense for Bremen. It's actually a disaster for them that they have so many players from last year still in the squad. Without expensive sales they are at high risk of bankruptcy, much more than Schalke.

That also means they field a lot of players who do not know if they stay there, that adds a lot of insecurity and that was visible against Hannover. They were very lucky in the end to get the draw.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I agree with your observations, but I think a bit different about what it means. Schalke has massively changed their squad, they now have a second league level squad, that is true, but that squad is sustainable. I don't think they have to be promoted immediately to prevent bankruptcy, compared to the expected chaos they seem to have a really solid squad, that could go far if everything clicks together, and if not should stay sonewhere in midfield of the league, that is more likely.

Bremen on the other hand are fecked. They need to sell players for a lot of money and there are just no offers incoming, rumuors so far were just clubs trying to rob them, but nothing that would make sense for Bremen. It's actually a disaster for them that they have so many players from last year still in the squad. Without expensive sales they are at high risk of bankruptcy, much more than Schalke.

That also means they field a lot of players who do not know if they stay there, that adds a lot of insecurity and that was visible against Hannover. They were very lucky in the end to get the draw.
When I said written off I was mainly referring to Schalke's promotion bid. But what you said about Bremen also applies to Schalke: Fährmann, Kabak, Nastasic, Sane, Mascarell, Matondo and Harit are all players on first division wages. They were kind of fortunate that a lot of contracts were running out this summer, but thus far they have only sold Serdar for €8m (not terrible, but far from great either) and Raman for €3m (as far as I know Düsseldorf get a lot, if not all of that money). I assumed that Harit, as he easily does have the talent to play for a top 4-6 club, would be an easy sell, but thus far there don't seem to be any offers, and with Kabak it also seems like they have to hope to be lowballed by Crystal Palace.
Since Schalke couldn't even afford the appearance fees to use any of them against Hamburg these players can probably force a free transfer if they are ruthless and patient enough.

And while I have the feeling that a club as big as Schalke will always find a way (or enough pity) to somehow survive, it's not necessarily a given that hey can sustain themselves in the 2nd division mid term. Their debt is huge, as far as I know they have another €35m due by the end of the 22/23 season from their "fan bond" alone, the club has also done fun stuff like selling future TV revenue for short term cash and Corona is farm from over either. For all we know there will be reduced capacity all the way until another wave in winter, which would strain even healthy clubs.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
When I said written off I was mainly referring to Schalke's promotion bid. But what you said about Bremen also applies to Schalke: Fährmann, Kabak, Nastasic, Sane, Mascarell, Matondo and Harit are all players on first division wages. They were kind of fortunate that a lot of contracts were running out this summer, but thus far they have only sold Serdar for €8m (not terrible, but far from great either) and Raman for €3m (as far as I know Düsseldorf get a lot, if not all of that money). I assumed that Harit, as he easily does have the talent to play for a top 4-6 club, would be an easy sell, but thus far there don't seem to be any offers, and with Kabak it also seems like they have to hope to be lowballed by Crystal Palace.
Since Schalke couldn't even afford the appearance fees to use any of them against Hamburg these players can probably force a free transfer if they are ruthless and patient enough.

And while I have the feeling that a club as big as Schalke will always find a way (or enough pity) to somehow survive, it's not necessarily a given that hey can sustain themselves in the 2nd division mid term. Their debt is huge, as far as I know they have another €35m due by the end of the 22/23 season from their "fan bond" alone, the club has also done fun stuff like selling future TV revenue for short term cash and Corona is farm from over either. For all we know there will be reduced capacity all the way until another wave in winter, which would strain even healthy clubs.
All true, yet a slightly different point of view: Schalke could field the team they expect to play during the full season, those first league players that should still go can take care of finding new clubs and are not part of the match day squads and the daily coaching sessions.

Bremen has to play their comparable players because they don't have a new team yet. They are dependent on a lot of players that should still leave.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Top of the table :drool:
Probably just for the night :smirk:

But we surely have seen a good start to the league - some strong performances from non-favourites will put early pressure on HSV, Schalke etc...

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
Probably just for the night :smirk:

But we surely have seen a good start to the league - some strong performances from non-favourites will put early pressure on HSV, Schalke etc...
To be fair, Karlsruhe played newly promoted Rostock and Darmstadt who barely had 11 players due to Covid, so not getting carried away just yet. Still feels nice starting the season strong!

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Just re-watching the Bayern v Napoli game, and it strikes me that it might the first game I see of Brych officiating a Bayern game? Usually he's not assigned to us, as he's from München?
At least I can't seem to remember him ever refereeing a Bayern competitive game?

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
Just re-watching the Bayern v Napoli game, and it strikes me that it might the first game I see of Brych officiating a Bayern game? Usually he's not assigned to us, as he's from München?
At least I can't seem to remember him ever refereeing a Bayern competitive game?
Any worries after that game? Was it a young team?

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Any worries after that game? Was it a young team?
It's basically the full starting 11 minus Müller, Kimmich, Neuer and the left backs. Coman got bodychecked heavily by Lobotka early and had to go off.
Just watched 30 minutes and so far we're fine. Don't know what's going to happen there later in the game, but obviously preseason doesn't mean anything.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Schalke with a very early Terodde goal again. How can this guy be so consistently great in the second division, yet be so disappointing in the first?

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Commercials targeted at Hanseaten are even dumber than normal commercials.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Interested to see what Nagelsmann does with the youngsters.
Think Kouassi will end up as partner for Upamecano at back?
I don't think he will be THE partner once Lucas is back, but I think he will start the season there (with Lucas being out for a while and Süle struggling for fitness) and will get significant game time.
Depending on how Nagelsmann will end up lining up, specifically whether he will use 3 man defense formation at times where Süle and/Hernandez could play a role alongside two other CBs.
In any case the kid has enormous potential and looks absolutely class.

Any other youngster apart from Nianzou and Musiala will have a hard time.

Rektsanwalt

Supports
Schalke 04
So @stefan92 vs @Kasper now. Love that we have a few 2. Liga supporters here (@Rektsanwalt)
Yes, it's by far the more interesting league. Who wants to be in 1st divison? Only plastics.

On a serious note the game against Kiel was something I can live with. Lots of room for improvement, but it's nice to see them winning those games. Result is far too high obviously.

Blackwidow

Bayern's first match on Friday against Bremer SV (1st round of the German Cup) is postponed as one or more of Bremen's players is Covid positive.

Swarm

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
What is up with the clickbait title by the way? :lol:

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
What is up with the clickbait title by the way? :lol:
Apologies, I didn't know Bayern's game had been postponed.
All the more reason to look forward to Leipzig vs Leverkusen. I think it's going to be a very close game and hard to call, but Leipzig will edge it in the end.

uamini

Supports
Herta BSC
So "Bild" claims that Bayern are working on buying Leipzig's Sabitzer for a ridiciculously low 18 million €.

I hope that doesn't happen. It would confirm all the stereotypes about this league and make it even less likely that someone else wins it this year.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
So "Bild" claims that Bayern are working on buying Leipzig's Sabitzer for a ridiciculously low 18 million €.

I hope that doesn't happen. It would confirm all the stereotypes about this league and make it even less likely that someone else wins it this year.
They were reporting the same about Dortmund a couple of weeks ago and if you consider that Leipzig are forced to sell, because his contract is running out ans there don't seem to be any eager takers a sum around €20m isn't really that ridiculous.
And it would be a bit ironic anyway to use a supposedly transfer between those clubs as proof of something, when it hasn't been that long since Leipzig extracted a record fee out of Bayern for Nagelsmann, whose transfer seemed all but inevitable at the time.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
That Sabitzer's "name has been discussed" is surely not very surprising, still this won't happen.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Do not know.

Now Meunier and Brandt have tested positive, too.
The pair were probably the players who had the most to prove after last season and according to reports both got infected in their off-time after refusing to be vaccinated. Not the most popular players at the club right now I assume.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United

Bayern is clearly doing something and it works, certain players in certain positions have an advantage to build there physique even more and no club is doing it more than Bayern, why?

Goretzka, Davies, Coutinho, Thiago all got visibly stronger and bigger.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund

Bayern is clearly doing something and it works, certain players in certain positions have an advantage to build there physique even more and no club is doing it more than Bayern, why?

Goretzka, Davies, Coutinho, Thiago all got visibly stronger and bigger.
I assume bulking up comes at the cost of speed and agility and it perhaps puts more strain on your joints. Under Flick Bayern have played an even more aggressive pressing than before, so maybe he encouraged his players to beef up, because with their risky defending it's especially important to win their defensive 1on1s. Another factor might be club culture: with Real and Barca faltering they have been the most consistent club side of the past 10 years, that is probably at least in part down to a professional attitude among the squad.
And I don't think it's just Bayern happening at Bayern, for example I remember reports about Haaland gaining something like 10kg of muscle while at Dortmund and I'm pretty sure Salzburg conduct their training highly professional, too.

Also speaking about Salzburg, today I saw this Tweet:

Showing how Mateschitz's football club plays Barcelona, broadcast on Mateschitz's TV station and as it happens they use the half time for a news show, where four out of five segments are about Corona which, at least according to the Twitter user, are very favourable to Covidiots and naturally feature a statement of Austria's far right party.

Last edited:

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Showing how Mateschitz's football club plays Barcelona, broadcast on Mateschitz's TV station and as it happens they use the half time for a news show, where four out of five segments are about Corona which, at least according to the Twitter user, are very favourable to Covidiots and naturally feature a statement of Austria's far right party.
I didn't know Red Bull had a TV station! And one that promotes that sort of stuff at that. One more reason to dislike them.