German Football 21/22 | Gladbach sign Farke

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I didn't know Red Bull had a TV station! And one that promotes that sort of stuff at that. One more reason to dislike them.
They are interested in a range of topics, from time to time you hear about talk show they host in Mateschitz's hangar, with select titles such as:
"radical Islam - are we too tolerant"
"radical youth: how dangerous are our Muslims"
"Muslims in Austria: where does [living with each other] fail"
"Mullah, Mekka, Muezzin: how political is Islam"
"Hate on the internet: what do we have to take"
"comeback of the [anti corona] measures: suffering without end?"
"argument about the press: how free is our media?"
"open up for the vaccinated - everyone else will remain caged?"
"dictatorship of the thought prohibition: arguing forbidden?"
"mandatory vaccinations and tests - everything only chicanery anymore?"
"the great goverment failure: lockdowns without end?"

I didn't even want to put together such a list initially, but I'm just amazed how they are such a cliché, it's like they go through a check list. :lol:

CallyRed

Bayern is clearly doing something and it works, certain players in certain positions have an advantage to build there physique even more and no club is doing it more than Bayern, why?

Goretzka, Davies, Coutinho, Thiago all got visibly stronger and bigger.
William and Hazard have had similar transformations as well

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
They are interested in a range of topics, from time to time you hear about talk show they host in Mateschitz's hangar, with select titles such as:
"radical Islam - are we too tolerant"
"radical youth: how dangerous are our Muslims"
"Muslims in Austria: where does [living with each other] fail"
"Mullah, Mekka, Muezzin: how political is Islam"
"Hate on the internet: what do we have to take"
"comeback of the [anti corona] measures: suffering without end?"
"argument about the press: how free is our media?"
"open up for the vaccinated - everyone else will remain caged?"
"dictatorship of the thought prohibition: arguing forbidden?"
"mandatory vaccinations and tests - everything only chicanery anymore?"
"the great goverment failure: lockdowns without end?"

I didn't even want to put together such a list initially, but I'm just amazed how they are such a cliché, it's like they go through a check list. :lol:
Damn! Sounds like the Austrian Fox... Is it available in Germany as well? How popular is this? (Outside the FPÖ/AfD crowd.)

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Damn! Sounds like the Austrian Fox... Is it available in Germany as well? How popular is this? (Outside the FPÖ/AfD crowd.)
As far as I know they also broadcast in Germany. I found an article that said their news show had a new all-year-best when it reached 9% market share in Austria on one day and their "Coronavirus: is the pandemic over?" talk reached 7.8% of their above 12 years old target group. But that was from last year.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
I didn't know Red Bull had a TV station! And one that promotes that sort of stuff at that. One more reason to dislike them.
They became known as they streamed La Liga games for free, a few years back. At least that's how I got to know them.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
They became known as they streamed La Liga games for free, a few years back. At least that's how I got to know them.
Wasn't that Laola1? I think they first entered the German market by showing a lot of big, but (somewhat) old movies. In Austria they can of course bait with Salzburg as well. And from what I gathered in the last couple of minutes they also have a plenty of other innocent formats, like some Tennis or MotorGP broadcasts or some mountaineering show for tourists.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Wasn't that Laola1? I think they first entered the German market by showing a lot of big, but (somewhat) old movies.
Oh shit, yes. Laola1.tv. I confused them as they're also Austrian. What happened to them?

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Oh shit, yes. Laola1.tv. I confused them as they're also Austrian. What happened to them?
Nothing I guess? They just got outbid on the Spanish broadcasting rights. It was always a bit ridiculous that you could watch La Liga for free at the recent peak of the Clasico rivalry.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund

Hertha doing Big City Club things again? Maybe they can replace him with Schulz? An esteemed Team D Mannschaft player to bolster their portfolio of star players? :angel:

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Dortmund should be trying hard to sign Bernardo Silva, if you ask me. They might have a chance due to Covid crippling the competition, and they've pocketed lots of money.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Dortmund should be trying hard to sign Bernardo Silva, if you ask me. They might have a chance due to Covid crippling the competition, and they've pocketed lots of money.
no white text? :drool:

Dortmund are as crippled as the next guy and Bernardo would be unrealistic even if that wasn't the case.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
no white text? :drool:

Dortmund are as crippled as the next guy and Bernardo would be unrealistic even if that wasn't the case.
Why? He wants to leave and he will want to play for a good CL club. How many destinations are there, and if the more likely of them don't go after him, why wouldn't BVB have the chance?

BVB will never get anywhere if they don't try for once to get real top players (not just top talents looking to be showcased) and show some ambition for their squad. Sell Brandt to Arsenal or Leicester, they got all that money for Sancho (whom they have't replaced yet), what's the problem?

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Why? He wants to leave and he will want to play for a good CL club. How many destinations are there, and if the more likely of them don't go after him, why wouldn't BVB have the chance?

BVB will never get anywhere if they don't try for once to get real top players (not just top talents looking to be showcased) and show some ambition for their squad. Sell Brandt to Arsenal or Leicester, they got all that money for Sancho (whom they have't replaced yet), what's the problem?
Even if we assume he'd be open to joining Bundesliga: Dortmund's budget for individual players caps around €35m for the fee and €10m for annual wages. There would always be at leat one who bids more.
Sancho's replacement is Malen, he cost around €30m. With Corona still heavily impacting the business the club isn't able or willing to spend more on players this year. If someone takes Schulz they will most likely buy Halstenberg and I could see a young RB or wide player being signed if a bargain appears on the market, but that's basically it.

And speaking of the virus:

Cologne are the first club in Bundesliga to only allow people who are fully vaccinated or have fully recovered from the virus into their stadium.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
And speaking of the virus:

Cologne are the first club in Bundesliga to only allow people who are fully vaccinated or have fully recovered from the virus into their stadium.
With an exception for kids and those that cannot get vaccinated for medical reasons.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund

Dortmund's team is slightly depleted :nervous:

Not many cup upsets:
1860 Munich (D3) beat Darmstadt (D2) in penalties.
Osnabrück (D3) win at Bremer Brücke against Bremen (D2)
Bochum (D1) needed extra time against Wuppertal (D4)

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
Hertha's away shirt being the same red as their city rivals Union's home colours is doing my head in.

Last edited:

Blackwidow

Dortmund's team is slightly depleted :nervous:

Not many cup upsets:
1860 Munich (D3) beat Darmstadt (D2) in penalties.
Osnabrück (D3) win at Bremer Brücke against Bremen (D2)
Bochum (D1) needed extra time against Wuppertal (D4)
Today might be different...

Cologne and Frankfurt are behind. Mainz, Wolfsburg and Hertha on a draw.
20 minutes to go...

Blackwidow

Frankfurt out

Mainz, Köln und Wolfsburg have to play additional 30 minutes... - did I tell that I like penalty shootouts?

Meppen - Hertha 0:1
Elversberg - Mainz 1:1
Jena - Köln 1:1
Mannheim - Frankfurt 2:0
Koblenz - Regensburg 0:3
Türkgücü - Union 0:1
Oldenburg - Düsseldorf 0:5
Münster - Wolfsburg 1:1
Villingen – Schalke 1:4

uamini

Supports
Herta BSC
Hertha doing Big City Club things again? Maybe they can replace him with Schulz? An esteemed Team D Mannschaft player to bolster their portfolio of star players? :angel:
Not sure what your point is...it's not like they gave him up willingly.
A more interesting question would be why this keeps happening to Hertha..it's a pattern that keeps repeating, from the days of Jerome Boateng to Samardzic last year and now Netz. They give promising youth players a chance and those youngsters react by asking for high wages and then moving elsewhere. I don't recall seeing it play out as often for other German clubs so I'm not sure what they're doing wrong. They usually try to pick up an option and turn youth contracts into professional contracts but there's a rumor that any court of law would say it's illegal so those contracts are essentially worthless.
Either way it's really frustrating to keep hearing about the next big prodigy every few years only to see them bolt as soon they've made their debut.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
Frankfurt out

Mainz, Köln und Wolfsburg have to play additional 30 minutes... - did I tell that I like penalty shootouts?

Meppen - Hertha 0:1
Elversberg - Mainz 1:1
Jena - Köln 1:1
Mannheim - Frankfurt 2:0
Koblenz - Regensburg 0:3
Türkgücü - Union 0:1
Oldenburg - Düsseldorf 0:5
Münster - Wolfsburg 1:1
Villingen – Schalke 1:4
Got your wish :cool:

Dual screen penalty shootout :lol:

Blackwidow

Wolfsburg still might lose the match as they did 6 substitutions - only 5 are allowed...

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
A more interesting question would be why this keeps happening to Hertha..it's a pattern that keeps repeating, from the days of Jerome Boateng to Samardzic last year and now Netz. They give promising youth players a chance and those youngsters react by asking for high wages and then moving elsewhere. I don't recall seeing it play out as often for other German clubs so I'm not sure what they're doing wrong. They usually try to pick up an option and turn youth contracts into professional contracts but there's a rumor that any court of law would say it's illegal so those contracts are essentially worthless.
Either way it's really frustrating to keep hearing about the next big prodigy every few years only to see them bolt as soon they've made their debut.
Well my point is what you're talking about yourself. Hertha losing two very highly rated youngsters, who were actually born in the big city and have been with the club for (literally!) over half their lives, for cheap right when they turn 18. Which begs the questions: Why did Hertha find themselves in such a contractual situation twice in a row? Why is there seemingly no emotional bond between these youth players and the club where they grew up at and why does Luca Netz leave Hertha for Gladbach, because he is hoping to get more minutes there.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Well my point is what you're talking about yourself. Hertha losing two very highly rated youngsters, who were actually born in the big city and have been with the club for (literally!) over half their lives, for cheap right when they turn 18. Which begs the questions: Why did Hertha find themselves in such a contractual situation twice in a row? Why is there seemingly no emotional bond between these youth players and the club where they grew up at and why does Luca Netz leave Hertha for Gladbach, because he is hoping to get more minutes there.
Same thing happens with Schalke too, even more virulently. Schalke produce one amazing player after the other yet they never stay around.

Honestly, at this point, I wonder whether it's due to the specific shade of blue which both club have as their main colour. Might it be that this stark, cold colour - royal blue - breeds and radiates a sense of emotional detachment, a lack of homeliness and the urge to move away?

Bear with me. Think about it.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Same thing happens with Schalke too, even more virulently. Schalke produce one amazing player after the other yet they never stay around.

Honestly, at this point, I wonder whether it's due to the specific shade of blue which both club have as their main colour. Might it be that this deep, cold colour, royal blue, signifies and radiates emotional detachment, lack of homeliness and the need to leave?

Bear with me. Think about it.
Schalke's problem is (or rather was, as they don't really produce top talents anymore) that they waited until their players had their big break, before they tried to extend their contracts.
Hertha however lose players a couple of steps before that, when they should actually be happy to stay and make their first steps in a familiar surroundings.

While there might be something to your color theory (Hamburg are also blue and miserable), I don't think the fans will appreciate that comparison, given the intense rivalry between Hertha and Schalke.

Regarding Wolfsburg, I've read that they might escape without a default loss, as it was as much the referee's (whose job it is to ensure that rules are followed) as it was theirs.
Apparently the difference to previous cases is that there the (non-EU) foreigner rule was broken and it seems like that is not something the referee is responsible for checking in the moment.

RedDevilPure

Bayern has been very poor in pre-season. New young manager. This has Kovac 2.0 written all over it.

uamini

Supports
Herta BSC
Why is there seemingly no emotional bond between these youth players and the club where they grew up at and why does Luca Netz leave Hertha for Gladbach, because he is hoping to get more minutes there.
I know that explanation has been given by some people but it doesn't really make sense. Luca Netz made his debut at the age of 17 and went on to appear in 11 of the following 13 games before suffering a season-ending injury..not sure how much more you can expect at that age. His competition would have been Plattenhardt and Mittelstädt, two decent but rather average Bundesliga players. In Mönchengladbach he plays the same position as Bensebaini who is much stronger competition than those Hertha players. Well I hope he'll fare better than Samardzic who went to Leipzig because they'd be more likely to recognize his superior talent...and played a whooping 197 minutes all season.
I once read about a German club (don't remember who...Stuttgart? Freiburg?) that would refuse to play its teenagers before they sign a professional contract. I guess that would solve the problem.
But I'd be interested in how Dortmund handles this. They're not afraid to play their 17-year-olds and it doesn't seem to backfire.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I know that explanation has been given by some people but it doesn't really make sense. Luca Netz made his debut at the age of 17 and went on to appear in 11 of the following 13 games before suffering a season-ending injury..not sure how much more you can expect at that age. His competition would have been Plattenhardt and Mittelstädt, two decent but rather average Bundesliga players. In Mönchengladbach he plays the same position as Bensebaini who is much stronger competition than those Hertha players. Well I hope he'll fare better than Samardzic who went to Leipzig because they'd be more likely to recognize his superior talent...and played a whooping 197 minutes all season.
I once read about a German club (don't remember who...Stuttgart? Freiburg?) that would refuse to play its teenagers before they sign a professional contract. I guess that would solve the problem.
But I'd be interested in how Dortmund handles this. They're not afraid to play their 17-year-olds and it doesn't seem to backfire.
The fact that he picked a club where he has to compete with Bensebaini does indeed sound strange with regards to the play time claim, but in general neither Hertha as a club, nor Dardai as a coach seem particularly eager to develop kids (aside from his own ;)) . If I remember correctly Dardai even made a point of turning to experience when he took over. And in any case Netz "only" got a few minutes when Dardai was playing two left backs at a time and Plattenhardt was injured. I can see why a young player would be weary of his chances going forward.

Dortmund's more promising youngsters usually have have options in their contracts that extend it automatically when they turn 18. And it obviously helps that they can pay relatively high wages and have one of the best reputations when it comes to developing young players.

uamini

Supports
Herta BSC
The fact that he picked a club where he has to compete with Bensebaini does indeed sound strange with regards to the play time claim, but in general neither Hertha as a club, nor Dardai as a coach seem particularly eager to develop kids (aside from his own ;)) . If I remember correctly Dardai even made a point of turning to experience when he took over.
Well Dardai is actually very eager to develop kids...quite literally as he goes back to youth coaching at Hertha every time he's not the Bundesliga coach. His son is definitely not the only example, he also gave Mittelstädt, Maier, Dilrosun and Torunarigha their Bundesliga debut (not to mention a lot of other youngsters who turned out to not be good enough) and helped turn unproven youngsters like Weiser or Stark into legitimate players. He's not the easiest coach to get along with but he does give young players a chance if they work hard.

Dortmund seems to have the same contract option as Hertha then. But yeah, it's probably difficult to compare their situations...why would anyone leave Dortmund when they can play Champions League matches at such an early age? It might be the best place to be in the entire world for aspiring young talents.