German Football 21/22 | Gladbach sign Farke

uamini

Supports
Herta BSC
Zakaria to Juventus for 5 million Euros, the same price Wolfsburg paid for Kruse...what went wrong there, did Gladbach run out of time because of the closing transfer window?

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I disagree. I think they have an extremely methodical approach, but they do indeed focus on different things than most teams.

They rarely sign young players but most often players who can be relied on, who have a certain mental strength and who usually failed elsewhere. Most of their players have the motivation to prove themselves (again) and at the same time the experience to have a certain consistency.

I think this then leads to their extreme stability. They rarely are impressive as they just don't have the potential in the team to be that, but they also rarely are disappointing.

Total counter example to Leverkusen etc, but still a valid philosophy. The only problem is that you can't build a spine to rely on for a decade or so, you need always new players and are more vulnerable by bad signings then most teams.
True, they don't just sign random players, they seem to go for athletic and determined players. But what I was trying to refer to was their success rate, like this summer:

For example they signed 2 LBs, 4 strikers, 4 CBs this season and like 6 of these players have already left the club again, without playing more than an hour or not at all even. My point is not so much about what type of player they sign as it is about the fact that they are apparently willing to sign 1-2 flops to get 1 good player.

Zakaria to Juventus for 5 million Euros, the same price Wolfsburg paid for Kruse...what went wrong there, did Gladbach run out of time because of the closing transfer window?
This is Gladbach's problem

Thuram and Plea in particular seem to be done with the club and have nuked their market value just in time for next summer, when Gladbach will have to sell them at all cost. They probably had to make some money on Ginter/Zakaria at all cost and since it appears that Zakaria's wage demands made everyone but Juventus shy away from an immediate transfer they had to swallow their pride and take their offer.
I'd also argue that between the two fees it's more the case of Wolfsburg paying too much, rather than Juventus paying too little. €5-8m doesn't sound like daylight robbery for six months of a player, who has had his ups and downs this season.

Last edited:

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
True, they don't just sign random players, they seem to go for athletic and determined players. But what I was trying to refer to was their success rate, like this summer:

For example they signed 2 LBs, 4 strikers, 4 CBs this season and like 6 of these players have already left the club again, without playing more than an hour or not at all even. My point is not so much about what type of player they sign as it is about the fact that they are apparently willing to sign 1-2 flops to get 1 good player.
That's true, and I think it's part of the whole thing. If you rely on giving players (another) chance in the Bundesliga you have to take the possibility into account that some will fail to do it.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
That's true, and I think it's part of the whole thing. If you rely on giving players (another) chance in the Bundesliga you have to take the possibility into account that some will fail to do it.
While that's true I wonder what they will do when a couple of players refuse to get dumped out of the club after half a year. The last club who I remember trying such an approach was of course the glorious Schalke under Magath and they had to rent a king size team bus as a result.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
https://www.transfermarkt.de/arne-friedrich/profil/trainer/36355

I'm surprised to read that: he's a young and seemingly intelligent club legend, so it seemed like a no-brainer to build him up in Bobic's shadow and it looked like Hertha may have found a good management structure finally.
Question is if Bobic thought that too...

When you see that it was Klinsmann who got Friedrich involved and that he than assisted Preetz, and that Bobic now has to clean up all the mess those guys left it would not surprise me if Bobic sees Friedrich as part of that mess and therefore more or less pushed him out.

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
I like it personally, serves that club just right. If you get Max Kruse, you know what you´re in for.
Afaik, he joined them for a rather small salary, otherwise they wouldn't have been able to afford him in the first place. They have little reason to harbour any hard feelings about it.

uamini

Supports
Herta BSC
Question is if Bobic thought that too...

When you see that it was Klinsmann who got Friedrich involved and that he than assisted Preetz, and that Bobic now has to clean up all the mess those guys left it would not surprise me if Bobic sees Friedrich as part of that mess and therefore more or less pushed him out.
No, that's not it. Friedrich was never meant to be a long-term choice...he made that very clear from the beginning. He has business ties in the USA and doesn't see himself in that role. Bobic was actually interested in giving him a long-term contract but you can't force people if they have other plans. :)

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
https://www.kicker.de/froehlich-referee-zwayer-im-moment-nicht-aktiv-885466/artikel

Some interesting quotes from referee boss Fröhlich on the Zwayer issue.

-Zwayer has not officiated a Bundesliga match since Dortmund:Bayern and he took a leave of absence after officiating the last EL match of the year.
-He said the claim that Zwayer took money was one word against another's.
-However "at some point you have to clear up this story around the Robert Hoyzer affair".
-"Personally i would welcome it very much if if you really know what happened back then. This accusation whether money was or wasn't taken is in the room."
-While he says that he has no reason to distrust Zwayer (in dubio pro reo) "it would be impossible for me to officiate a game with such a burden."

I don't think he can say something like that if Zwayer has the option to just return out of the blue. A bit sad that it took over 15 years and an 18 year old lad from England to get a statement like that.
Kicker report that Zwayer is all but certain to return. :lol: He's reportedly already doing an UEFA online seminar at the moment.

https://www.kicker.de/will-diese-ch...felix-zwayer-vor-der-rueckkehr-888442/artikel

At least he can't get Dortmund's games anymore.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Bayern are head and shoulders above RBL, just looks like Bayern are toying with them really.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Wow, Bayern caught sleeping there

bucky

Nkunku is such a good player. Makes it 2-2. Poor from Tolisso in midfield.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Jesus the defending in this match is painful to watch. I hope both teams will take notes when Dortmund face Leverkusen tomorrow.

B. Munich

Supports
Bayern Munich
Very entertaining match. Both teams with high pressing and quick transitions creating many chances.

Now Musiala for Tolisso. Can't play more offensive than that.

mav_9me

Is it just this commentator on ESPN or is the right pronunciation Zane and Zule?

BayernFan87

Supports
Bayern Munich
Is it just this commentator on ESPN or is the right pronunciation Zane and Zule?
Ü is different to U, it's a bit like in Ronaldos SUUUIIII :D

And the "é" in Sané is pronounced like in french I'd say, higher than the standard "e".

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I'm pretty sure the correct pronouncitationis actually "Sahne" with a very soft S. Not sure how Süle is pronounced, where's Loddar when you need him

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Interesting to see that we are finally at the point were a clear rift opens up in the middle of the table. First two (Bayern and Dortmund) will surely stay at the top, as well as Fürth likely stays last. But between that everything was quite close together so far. Now we have a quite clear fight for Europe (teams in 3-10 have 30-35 points) and a clear relegation battle (11-17 have 18 to 25 points). Wolfsburg and Gladbach still trapped on the wrong side of this gap...

mav_9me

How are we supposed to know how you would pronounce "Zane" and "Zule"?
That means at least they are not the right way.

Ü is different to U, it's a bit like in Ronaldos SUUUIIII :D

And the "é" in Sané is pronounced like in french I'd say, higher than the standard "e".
Thanks for that.

I meant the S being pronounced as Z

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Thanks for that.

The problem for us Krauts is that we don't really have those two different s sounds. Our s is more like the one in sun or glass, if that helps.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
That means at least they are not the right way.

Thanks for that.

'S' in German is mostly pronounced voiced (especially at the beginning of words), which in English is the 'z' I guess, with the English 's' usually being voiceless.
It's the source of much confusion and a generally wrong pronunciation of English by Germans and probably vice versa.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
The problem for us Krauts is that we don't really have those two different s sounds. Our s is more like the one in sun or glass, if that helps.
We have though. A very good illustration of the two would be 1) Hasenhüttl and 2) Hassenhüttl

And our s is only like the one in sun or glass if we mispronounce those words in a German way :lol:

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Interesting to see that we are finally at the point were a clear rift opens up in the middle of the table. First two (Bayern and Dortmund) will surely stay at the top, as well as Fürth likely stays last. But between that everything was quite close together so far. Now we have a quite clear fight for Europe (teams in 3-10 have 30-35 points) and a clear relegation battle (11-17 have 18 to 25 points). Wolfsburg and Gladbach still trapped on the wrong side of this gap...
I guess football fans around the world will have to hope that Leverkusen get a proper beating tomorrow, so everyone stays close together.

Blackwidow

I guess football fans around the world will have to hope that Leverkusen get a proper beating tomorrow, so everyone stays close together.
Actually I think it is more interesting if Leverkusen gets closer to Dortmund... :cool:

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Ugh. Those Leverkusen shirts are a bit too blue are they not? They look like Schalke which is not something one should aspire too.

uamini

Supports
Herta BSC
HSV just destroyed Darmstadt on their own pitch with a 5:0 win.

Werder, Schalke and HSV have been on a roll lately...yet the table still looks like one of the smaller teams might be able to get one of the top 3 spots.

1 Darmstadt +18 39
2 St. Pauli +13 38
3 Werder +12 38
4 HSV +19 37
5 Schalke +17 37
6 Heidenheim +2 37

Do you think they're gonna take the top 3 spots?