German Football 21/22 | Gladbach sign Farke

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Buying Upamecano for €40m might turn out to be a bigger waste of money for Bayern than buying Tolisso for €40m
Arguably Sabitzer as well?! Shouldn't buy those Bundesliga players, they don't hold up when moving to a better league.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
Buying Upamecano for €40m might turn out to be a bigger waste of money for Bayern than buying Tolisso for €40m
He started out really promising but in the last few months he's been a walking disaster. To be fair to him: Our entire defense is a joke right now, the formation with Kimmich as sole midfielder ahead of what amouns to a shifting 3 at the back is horrible.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
He started out really promising but in the last few months he's been a walking disaster. To be fair to him: Our entire defense is a joke right now, the formation with Kimmich as sole midfielder ahead of what amouns to a shifting 3 at the back is horrible.
Wasn't his last Leipzig season also very shaky? It's just a rough indicator, but funnily enough his whoscored rating is actually exactly the same as last season. He's obviously very talented and still quite young, but arguably Bayern got what they paid for.

Last edited:

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Turns out selling their best defender and their most creative player halfway through the season might not have have been so good for Union's performance after all...

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Arguably Sabitzer as well?! Shouldn't buy those Bundesliga players, they don't hold up when moving to a better league.
Don’t really care for Sabitzer. He was less expensive and is on less money. On top he was always only going to be a squad player. He is certainly underwhelming, I agree with you.

But Upa was bought as a starter and he is horrible. Bayern is missing Davies and Goretzka badly. A back four with Hernandez and Süle as CB and Kimmich and Goretzka in midfield would offer so much more stability.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Don’t really care for Sabitzer. He was less expensive and is on less money. On top he was always only going to be a squad player. He is certainly underwhelming, I agree with you.

But Upa was bought as a starter and he is horrible. Bayern is missing Davies and Goretzka badly. A back four with Hernandez and Süle as CB and Kimmich and Goretzka in midfield would offer so much more stability.
Well as I wrote in my other post: I'm not sure Upamecano was significantly better last season. So maybe the plan was to build him up more long term, behind more experienced players like Hernandez and Sülinho.

B. Munich

Supports
Bayern Munich
Actually I'm happy Dortmund finally took advantage of Bayern's inconsistency.

9 points clear on the top seems somehow to have negative impact on the team. Some players believe the league is won already and they can take the foot from the gas.

Similar problems as during the Pep days, when huge league leads caused a drop in intensity and focus in the team.
Once this happened it's hard to produce 100% again in the decisive CL knockout matches.

B. Munich

Supports
Bayern Munich
Well as I wrote in my other post: I'm not sure Upamecano was significantly better last season. So maybe the plan was to build him up more long term, behind more experienced players like Hernandez and Sülinho.
Süle isn't great either. His backheel antics were responsible for the first Gladbach goal. And again he was far off his man for the first Bochum goal.

Upamecano is worse at the moment but surely Süle isn't a role model for him.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund

Have I missed something? Last I heard he wasn't doing well for Monaco either. The lad has played less than 50 Bundesliga matches, conceded 76 goals, lost his starting spot to the current Vitesse keeper and yet reading about him in German media you'd think he's a 20 year old ter Stegen. Reminds me of Thomas Kraft.

Boavista

Have I missed something? Last I heard he wasn't doing well for Monaco either. The lad has played less than 50 Bundesliga matches, conceded 76 goals, lost his starting spot to the current Vitesse keeper and yet reading about him in German media you'd think he's a 20 year old ter Stegen. Reminds me of Thomas Kraft.
Did he? Looking up their appareance stats, it seems Schubert only replaced Nübel for four matches when the latter was available, after which Nübel was back in goal.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Did he? Looking up their appareance stats, it seems Schubert only replaced Nübel for four matches when the latter was available, after which Nübel was back in goal.
Oh yes, that's the magic of Schalke: Schubert, who was signed as a promising talent and designated Nübel heir, did even worse, so they burned him after four games and never gave him another chance. He got lucky Fährmann was shipped out to "checks notes" SK Brann to nuke his value and confidence, otherwise he probably would have finished the season.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
If I remember correctly that was in the middle or shortly after contract discussions and he seemed to be quite distracted by that trouble? So this wasn't due to anyone actually thinking Schubert would be better quality, just a bad time for Nübel.

Anyway I don't see why Bayern should want to keep him, seems to be a stupid decision.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
I have no idea about Nübel, but I don't need to have one to know that the succession planning for our long-serving GK legend will not work out the way we planned it. Rensing, Kraft, that's the company in which I see Nübel, not Kahn, Neuer.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
If I remember correctly that was in the middle or shortly after contract discussions and he seemed to be quite distracted by that trouble? So this wasn't due to anyone actually thinking Schubert would be better quality, just a bad time for Nübel.

Anyway I don't see why Bayern should want to keep him, seems to be a stupid decision.
What you're remembering was a four game red card suspension Nübel had to serve, which was actually a bit convenient as it took him out during the time he finalized/announced his switch to Bayern and Schalke took away the "will you stay if we make you captain?"-armband. The actual drop happened the week before Corona caused the league to take a break and persisted for a couple of games after things resumed, too.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
What you're remembering was a four game red card suspension Nübel had to serve, which was actually a bit convenient as it took him out during the time he finalized and announced his switch to Bayern. The actual drop happened the week before Corona caused the league to take a break and persisted for a couple of games after things resumed, too.
Oh I see...

Damn are Schalke a mess :lol:

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Even the discussions about him as a person are flat out rubbish. He forgot some cash in a taxi and deleted a picture of him taken by a journalist without his consent. Not his fault that the German public is as dull as Löw or Merkel. Great guy.

Some nice results today giving me flashbacks to better times.

I swear, every single fecking time, drunk in a taxi chances are I lose a banknote or two slipping out my pants pocket or fumbling them when I pay. It's not Kruse fault he's infinitely richer than me so I sure can't fault him for losing a few dozen grand in a taxi. In fact it kind of endeared him to me.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Meanwhile in the 2nd division:

St. Pauli break their winless streak, just in time to barely stay up top.

Bremen continue to show that Markus Anfang's vaccination creativity marked a new beginning for them. Ole Werner has won all seven games since taking over, Ducksch might be the best player in the 2nd division and Füllkrug has hit top form as well. At the moment it's hard to look past them for promotion and Werner's time at Kiel suggests this isn't just purely a purple patch for him either.

Hamburg may only be third, but they have perhaps been the most consistent team of the northern trio over the whole season, with just two losses and the best GD.

Daniel Thioune (of almost promoted with Hamburg fame) achieved a massively important win over Schalke in his first game in charge of Düsseldorf, who started the season with promotion hopes. Schalke on the other hand are yet again in a familiar spot, just one or two bad games away from a meltdown.

Esteemed experd weighs in on Upamecano:

Last edited:

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Meanwhile in the 2nd division:

St. Pauli break their winless streak, just in time to barely stay up top.

Bremen continue to show that Markus Anfang's vaccination creativity marked a new beginning for them. Ole Werner has won all seven games since taking over, Ducksch might be the best player in the 2nd division and Füllkrug has hit top form as well. At the moment it's hard to look past them for promotion and Werner's time at Kiel suggests this isn't just purely a purple patch for him either.

Hamburg may only be third, but they have perhaps been the most consistent team of the northern trio over the whole season, with just two losses and the best GD.

Daniel Thioune (of almost promoted with Hamburg fame) achieved a massively important win over Schalke in his first game in charge of Düsseldorf, who started the season with promotion hopes. Schalke on the other hand are yet again in a familiar spot, just one or two bad games away from a meltdown.

Esteemed experd weighs in on Upamecano:

I read some articles about Werner after Kiel's win over Bayern last season and believe he is a very exciting coach. He's more towards the Cruyff spectrum I've heard which is unusual for German coaches. Would like to see him him the Bundesliga.

I also wonder what people expected from Upamecano. He was always error prone, even last season. If he sorts that put he'll be an excellent defender but this was something that could be expdcted if you watched a few Leipzig matches.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I read some articles about Werner after Kiel's win over Bayern last season and believe he is a very exciting coach. He's more towards the Cruyff spectrum I've heard which is unusual for German coaches. Would like to see him him the Bundesliga.
I think that view is a bit outdated, sure, there are more pressing/transition merchants out there, because it's usually easier and more cost efficient to implement. But the ones who make it to the top usually value positional football ideas very highly and even in the second division there's not only Ole Werner, but also Hamburg's Walter, whose team currently averages over 60% possession.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund

Next level marketing from Wolfsburg: warning fans not to buy overpriced tickets from dubious sources for their next match against Hoffenheim.
Unprecedented levels of engagement for their Twitter account.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich

Next level marketing from Wolfsburg: warning fans not to buy overpriced tickets from dubious sources for their next match against Hoffenheim.
Unprecedented levels of engagement for their Twitter account.
Why would there be a run on tickets for that game? The two smallest fan bases in Germany. Or is the capacity that much reduced?

Blackwidow

Why would there be a run on tickets for that game? The two smallest fan bases in Germany. Or is the capacity that much reduced?
Only 10.000 fans on Saturday. Wolfsburg sold 19500 season tickets in 2019 - and it is Saturday afternoon.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96

Well if "Mr. True" is reporting it.
Alaba and Boateng (Flick's favourite CBs) left for free, now Süle (Nagelsmann's favourite CB) also leaving for free. It has become a weird pattern.

HerrLeinad

Supports
Bayern München
Alaba and Boateng (Flick's favourite CBs) left for free, now Süle (Nagelsmann's favourite CB) also leaving for free. It has become a weird pattern.
The pattern is that CBs who put out average performances and decide to leave don't concern us that much. I mean despite our defensive issues it just shows that we aren't worse of without Alaba and Boateng while Süle only continues to show that he still hasn't developed into a reliable enough CB.
There are also some interesting CBs on the market so it's not like there are no alternatives.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I don't think it's that weird: they had push up their wage ceiling quite a bit to renew Lewandowski and Kimmich lately and when you have to do something like that it always trickles down through the squad. Going to the limit for Lewandowski and Kimmich was probably a no-brainer, but the further down you go the more tricky things get, e.g. suddenly Gnabry and Coman, who I consider good players, but not necessarily world class, start negotiations by asking for something like €20m as well and in the end you have to pay them say €17m, because bottom line it's still cheaper than trying to get new attackers, but then you get to defenders, CBs especially, and while I understand that Alaba or Sülinho wanted fat contracts as well, given that Hernandez is supposedly on €14m and the wingers get €17m, it's much easier for the club to say no here, because unlike attackers you can actually sign a reliable CB for say €30m and €10m p.a., so they are letting their CBs go.
Though on the other hand I'm curious to see where how the bigger picture will shake out, because at the moment it looks a bit like their contracts extensions might have come at the expense of their squad depth and in the particular case of Sülinho it seems strange that they wouldn't come up with a better offer than Dortmund, despite the latter's wage structure being close to half of Bayern's.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Don't think that Brazzo's questionable squad building efforts are responsible for Nagelsmann's unhinged harakiri football.

The phrase that comes to mind is, "mal den Ball flach halten". Just keep the ball on the ground for fecks sake, not full on drill it into the teammates' torsos and limbs like kids on a sugar rush, all game.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund

Just imagine a DAX company having someone like Lothar Matthäus available to them, but ignoring his council.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich

Just imagine a DAX company having someone like Lothar Matthäus available to them, but ignoring his council.
„Great analyst“… „respected person“… he surely can’t be talking about Loddar

ForEverEleven

Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Fjörtoft is such a horrible person, the absolute state of him, Falk and others.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
„Great analyst“… „respected person“… he surely can’t be talking about Loddar
To be fair he isn't that bad as a pundit (not great either). That said as it is well known that his relationship to Bayern is broken beyond repair no one should be surprised at the reaction.

Why should Salihamidzic care what a guy says who "would not even get a job as greenkeeper at Bayern" as Hoeneß famously announced?

Blackwidow

To be fair he isn't that bad as a pundit (not great either). That said as it is well known that his relationship to Bayern is broken beyond repair no one should be surprised at the reaction.

Why should Salihamidzic care what a guy says who "would not even get a job as greenkeeper at Bayern" as Hoeneß famously announced?
Matthäus is with Elber and Pizzaro one of Bayern's ambassadors... His relationship is not broken anymore...

Blackwidow

Oh okay... I totally missed that development :eek:
Things like this always change. Like the Ex-Werder boss Lemke who is now friends with Hoeneß or Breitner who now again is friends again with Hoeneß and Rummenigge. The only one where this never will be is Thomas Berthold... - but who needs him...

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City

Just seen this, jesus wept :lol:
Him and Falk are just the worst.

CraftySoAndSo

Bayern fans what do you prefer, Dortmund getting thrashed and all the trolls coming out their hole bashing the Bundesliga or Dortmund do well so the Bundesliga maintains a bit of integrity in Europe?

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Bayern fans what do you prefer, Dortmund getting thrashed and all the trolls coming out their hole bashing the Bundesliga or Dortmund do well so the Bundesliga maintains a bit of integrity in Europe?
Dortmund getting trashed will never be not funny and the trolls are there anyways

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
Any fan from any team would be dumb if they want a rival team to do good internationally just so the reputation of the league gets better.

I doubt United fans are happy that Liverpool and City are doing great in Europe, while United doesn't challenge for any title.
I'm pretty sure you would rather have a situation like in the 90s, where EPL was behind Italy, Spain, Germany, and France in UEFA coefficient (because Leeds, Newcastle, and Blackburn were constantly getting spanked in Europe), but United was winning most of domestical trophies.

At the end of the day, nobody in real life cares about the reputation of a league, it's mostly an internet banter.