German Football 22/23 | 2. Bundesliga returns | Hamburg vs Schalke 20:30 |

B. Munich

Supports
Bayern Munich
6 minutes injury time was the most Bayern thing ever
Should have been definitely more. The time wasting of Gladbach was disgusting.

The referee helped too. Giving Sané a yellow card when he is clearly fouled just at the edge of the penalty box.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Bayern had 33 shots and 20 shots on target :houllier:

B. Munich

Supports
Bayern Munich
Sommer made 19, saves. The highest number of saves ever made since the beginning of data recording.

Last edited:

Olmer

Yann Sommer perfect 10/10 on whoscored :D Whata baller.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Including today Gladbach got 3W 2D 1L in their last six games against Bayern... really Bayern's Nemesis at the moment.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich

Not exactly the most sensible statements. If you shoot at goal 30 times and only score once, it's definitely more your fault than one or two fouls not given.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Not exactly the most sensible statements. If you shoot at goal 30 times and only score once, it's definitely more your fault than one or two fouls not given.
Absolutely. Müller's statement was much more sensible, but Nagelsmann is just behaving like a spoiled child.

Blackwidow

But he was right that the tendency all match was towards favouring Gladbach. The goal for Mane would have stood firm in every other match, too.

But Bayern lost simply because they did not convert. Else they probably did nothing wrong. Apart from Upamecano's mistake it was a very good defensive show, too. They are much more solid on the back than they have been in the last 2 or 3 years.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
But he was right that the tendency all match was towards favouring Gladbach. The goal for Mane would have stood firm in every other match, too.

But Bayern lost simply because they did not convert. Else they probably did nothing wrong. Apart from Upamecano's mistake it was a very good defensive show, too. They are much more solid on the back than they have been in the last 2 or 3 years.
Sane blocked the defenders' line of vision, directly affecting their ability to clear the cross. I don't know whether it would always get VAR'd, but I'm sure they'd take it back most of the time.

Blackwidow

Sane blocked the defenders' line of vision, directly affecting their ability to clear the cross. I don't know whether it would always get VAR'd, but I'm sure they'd take it back most of the time.
Not with 17 other teams in the league...

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Bremen-Frankfurt is great entertainment right now. 40 minutes played and just the 2-3 was scored, both teams go on all guns blazing.

unplayable

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Bremen-Frankfurt is great entertainment right now. 40 minutes played and just the 2-3 was scored, both teams go on all guns blazing.
And here I am watching Spurs park the bus against Nottingham. Changing the channel now.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
And here I am watching Spurs park the bus against Nottingham. Changing the channel now.
You should always watch Bremen if you want to see some action. They are back to their classic spectacular identity and are the team in the BL in whose games the most goals are scored (19 20 after 4 matches now, even in Bayern's matches it's only 18 - and in Bremen they are much more evenly distributed) :drool:

While posting Bremen scores a penalty :lol:

Last edited:

B. Munich

Supports
Bayern Munich
He didn't block the vision of Sommer and he didn't have a chance to catch the ball anyway.
There was a similar decision a couple of weeks ago. There is no offside even the player in offside position blocks the vision of the goalie, if he had no chance to save the shot anyway. (Strange take but that are this season's rules).

If you add defenders who might have been hindered, then every goal with a player in office position should be disallowed.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
He didn't block the vision of Sommer and he didn't have a chance to catch the ball anyway.
There was a similar decision a couple of weeks ago. There is no offside even the player in offside position blocks the vision of the goalie, if he had no chance to save the shot anyway. (Strange take but that are this season's rules).

If you add defenders who might have been hindered, then every goal with a player in office position should be disallowed.
Well you're just making up your own rules..

If you want to talk about the actual rules: https://www.theifab.com/laws/latest/offside/#offside-offence

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
He neither blocked Sommer's vision nor interfered with any defender who could have stopped the goal.
There was a similar situation in Cologne's match last week and that was given after VAR interference.
He moved towards the ball, then he arched his back out of the way at the last moment. I assume that the latter qualified as an "obvious action" and in doing so he interfered with (the line of vision of) the two Gladbach defenders, who were otherwise well positioned to challenge the cross.

The situation in Köln wasn't similar at all, first of all because the offside player remained passive throughout, which moves it into a much grayer area.

Last edited:

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
It's been quite the crazy weekend in terms of xG, hasn't it? In a lot of games the end result (in terms of points) remained the same, but for example Leverkusen getting a seemingly convincing win instead of a draw must be huge for their momentum, as is Schalke's result, who could have been quite happy with 5 points, but have an entirely different feeling about their start now.

FixturexG over/underperformance"xResult" vs actual
Freiburg-Bochum-3.41 : -1.13win -> win
Leipzig-Wolfsburg-1.79 : -0.52win -> win
Mainz-Leverkusen-1.62 : +1.4draw -> loss
Hoffenheim-Augsburg-1 : -0.46win -> win
Hertha-Dortmund-0.35 : -1.97loss -> loss
Schalke-Union-0.87 : +4.93win -> loss
Bayern-Gladbach-2.17 : +0.45win -> draw
Köln-Stuttgart-0.39 : -1.98loss -> draw
Bremen-Frankfurt+1.11 : +2.13draw -> loss

These look amazing. Not sure about the €140 price tag though.

Last edited:

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
So this discussion sent me to have a look at the xG for this week's games on fbref and serioisly, WTF happened?!?!?!? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hoffenheim with 6.3 xG against Augsburg????? Bayern has been already covered. Schalke vs Union - 1.8 to 1.3 / 1-6 oooohffff :lol: :lol: :lol:

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
So this discussion sent me to have a look at the xG for this week's games on fbref and serioisly, WTF happened?!?!?!? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hoffenheim with 6.3 xG against Augsburg????? Bayern has been already covered. Schalke vs Union - 1.8 to 1.3 / 1-6 oooohffff :lol: :lol: :lol:
6.3 has to be some sort of error by FBref or Statsbomb. Both Understat (from which I took the stats for the table) and Infogol gave them around 2.

this is indeed a picture of beauty though:

and Infogol's numbers look even more dramatic:

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I heard Bailey is available again as well. ;)
I'm still hoping they'll try to bring back Can to strengthen their midfield. Maybe a cheeky bid for Brandt, too. :drool:

They could run a trendy: "The boys are back im Werk" marketing campaign.

Already sighted in downtown Leverkusen. Trying to win a trophy. Ambitious.

Last edited:

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Enjoy having Hudson-Odoi. You’re gonna love him @Zehner
Thanks, really curious how he'll do for us :)

I'm still hoping they'll try to bring back Can to strengthen their midfield. Maybe a cheeky bid for Brandt, too. :drool:

They could run a trendy: "The boys are back im Werk" marketing campaign.

Already sighted in downtown Leverkusen. Trying to win a trophy. Ambitious.
I'd take Brandt in a heartbeat. But you can sort that Can transfer out yourself ;)

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I just read Schalke's statement regarding the Thiaw sale:

"Board member for finance Christina Rühl-Hamers said: “The transfer fee for Malick Thiaw allows us to meet our financial targets proposed at the start of the window. It offers us more room to manoeuvre financially when it comes to other issues and challenges that still lie ahead.”"

That doesn't seems like the fee will be reinvested into the squad, infact it seems like all they are going to do is loan a kid from Liverpool, who was headed for Blackburn. Their defensive performances so far didn't suggest an abundance of quality even before this switch. If I could I'd even lay a cheeky bet on Ralf Fährmann making his annual comeback.

avgp_1

It's been quite the crazy weekend in terms of xG, hasn't it? In a lot of games the end result (in terms of points) remained the same, but for example Leverkusen getting a seemingly convincing win instead of a draw must be huge for their momentum, as is Schalke's result, who could have been quite happy with 5 points, but have an entirely different feeling about their start now.

FixturexG over/underperformance"xResult" vs actual
Freiburg-Bochum-3.41 : -1.13win -> win
Leipzig-Wolfsburg-1.79 : -0.52win -> win
Mainz-Leverkusen-1.62 : +1.4draw -> loss
Hoffenheim-Augsburg-1 : -0.46win -> win
Hertha-Dortmund-0.35 : -1.97loss -> loss
Schalke-Union-0.87 : +4.93win -> loss
Bayern-Gladbach-2.17 : +0.45win -> draw
Köln-Stuttgart-0.39 : -1.98loss -> draw
Bremen-Frankfurt+1.11 : +2.13draw -> loss

These look amazing. Not sure about the €140 price tag though.

Schalke - Union is crazy XG, the goalkeeper has had a shocker surely

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Ineeed, loaning Schwolow out to Schalke might have been the best transfer business Hertha did for this season.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Schwolow is not clowning in the Hradeckian sense, if you were to look at each of the goals individually you could be tempted to chalk it off to being unfortunate, but if you see the complete picture it's obvious that he's letting in way too much.

Ineeed, loaning Schwolow out to Schalke might have been the best transfer business Hertha did for this season.
Stealing my carefully curated analysis!! :nono:
I'm beginning to think that loaning out Schwolow to Schalke was the shrewdest bit of business Hertha did this summer.

Hoffenheim player Dennis Geiger about their attendance:
"17,000 is a bit weak, I have to say. 17'000 is kind of a joke."

Let's see how Ultras Hoffenheim respond to this disrespect.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich

Hoffenheim player Dennis Geiger about their attendance:
"17,000 is a bit weak, I have to say. 17'000 is kind of a joke."

Let's see how Ultras Hoffenheim respond to this disrespect.
To be fair, 17,000 is about five times Hoffenheims population.

ForEverEleven

Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Leverkusen going for their sixth winger?
Paulinho seems to have fallen out of favor completely, Adli and Bellarabi are injured for another few months (and we already know Bellarabi will injure himself again 3 weeks after his return) and Hlozek in my opinion is not a winger. That leaves us with Diaby. I think CHO can be a good addition being a counterpart to Diaby since we can now attack on both wings with a lot of pace instead of focusing on the Diaby/Frimpong side only. Should make us more unpredictable offensively.