German Football 23/24 |

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund

The timing doesn't appear chaotic at all.

Did he get caught playing Fifa at 3 am or something?

Does Timo Baumgartl get to pick the replacement?

Last edited:

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I think if what Baungartl said was true, it was the correct decisiom to fire him because he has lost the team. If they believe they have to sack him, they shouldn't stick with him for another week or two just because a player made his criticism public. Those are separate issues - fine the player and sack the manager.

That statistic is mental, though. Schalke really needs to define a brand of football they want to player and find some continuity.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
A Bayern loanee breaks the arm of a bayern player...
Gnabry is out until mid/end of November because of that and will get surgery tomorrow...
Could it be that the referees are already too conditioned to the VAR?

"Just let the game go on, because the VAR will get back to me if it was a penalty."

Is that the approach? It's just stupid when, like yesterday, there is no VAR. Gnabry's injury is unfortunate, but the fact that the referee didn't whistle it as a penalty is wild.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund

This looks pretty bad, doesn't it. And to my big surprise it's fecking plastic clubs and financially desperate Schalke, who are doing it. Hopefully big clubs will stay away from this. It sounds a lot like footyindex(?) or whatever was the name of that scheme people were advertising on the caf.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen

This looks pretty bad, doesn't it. And to my big surprise it's fecking plastic clubs and financially desperate Schalke, who are doing it. Hopefully big clubs will stay away from this. It sounds a lot like footyindex(?) or whatever was the name of that scheme people were advertising on the caf.
Aren't you a fan of the club that sells its shares at the stock exchange to its fans? :lol:

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Comparing a crypto pyramid scheme to the stock market. Reasonable.
It's rather somewhere between a real money Kickbase and a betting portal for player development. It's hardly worse than sports betting since player development is at least a bit more predictable and long term oriented than match results. Or even worse, loot boxes in games like FIFA/EA FC.

Also, how many Dortmund fans do you think have spent money on BVB shares that they should rather have spent on more solid investments for their own good?

Besides that, do you even know what krypto/blockchain means? It's not automatically bad because it's krypto. It's essentially just a hack proof way of saving data.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
It's rather somewhere between a real money Kickbase and a betting portal for player development. It's hardly worse than sports betting since player development is at least a bit more predictable and long term oriented than match results. Or even worse, loot boxes in games like FIFA/EA FC.

Also, how many Dortmund fans do you think have spent money on BVB shares that they should rather have spent on more solid investments for their own good?

Besides that, do you even know what krypto/blockchain means? It's not automatically bad because it's krypto. It's essentially just a hack proof way of saving data.
In this case it's just a fancy name for sports betting.

And in regard to blockchain there is a simple rule: If you can't mine new blocks of the blockchain it is worthless because you and the other users don't participate in creating trust. Everyone who uses a blockchain for a use case like this is either an idiot or a scammer.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
In this case it's just a fancy name for sports betting.
Yep.

And in regard to blockchain there is a simple rule: If you can't mine new blocks of the blockchain it is worthless because you and the other users don't participate in creating trust. Everyone who uses a blockchain for a use case like this is either an idiot or a scammer.
We're getting a bit off topic here but anyway: Even if not every user can mine blocks himself, blockchain provides additional security over other forms of saving data. Simply because a potential hacker would still have to manipulate all involved blocks in all chains simultaneously before somebody else creates a new block. It doesn't need to be fully decentralized for that effect to work.

Anyway, I agree that it's just a buzzword most of the time (as in this case). Which is why I'm not a big fan of crypto currencies, at least not as a payment service. Everyday payments really don't need to be blockchain encrypted.[/QUOTE]

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund

Please.. this is so obvious.. you have to be a moron to think it's anything like sports betting or real stocks. If you buy real stocks you actually own 1/n of a company('s assets). If you bet on sports you actually win real money. If you buy 1 share of Florian Wirtz for €85 on this "game" there is no real life value attached to it. You don't own 1/n of Florian Wirtz, you don't get real dividends when he generates money. It's worth the same as a share of Karim Bellarabi, 0, absolutely nothing. The only "value" attached to it is the hope that you'll find an even bigger idiot, who will pay you one more dollar. And that may work for a bit, while the system is increasing and idiots keep pumping their money into it. But then the platform stops to grow, the company can't sell new players, so they'll have to increase their comission on trades or cut "dividends", then the first "investors" want to take out their money and then they run out of bigger idiots and the prices crash, because they don't correspond to any real value and more and more people realize that they'll lose their money, but no one buys for the listed prices.

I absolutely believe FIFA's lootboxes should be heavily regulated, but they don't trick fools into statements like "it's rather somewhere between a real money Kickbase and a betting portal for player development. It's hardly worse than sports betting ", they are totally upfront about you spending money for entertainment and not on an investment.

Last edited:

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I absolutely believe FIFA's lootboxes should be heavily regulated, but they don't trick fools into statements like "it's rather somewhere between a real money Kickbase and a betting portal for player development. It's hardly worse than sports betting ", they are totally upfront about you spending money for entertainment and not on an investment.
They make billions from using the psychological mechanism behind betting addiction on teenagers and the only reason why this is allowed is as cynical as it gets: You can't win anything with actual monetary value as they prohibit selling the ingame items you draw. It adapts everything from the gaming industry but the expenses of paying the winners. In caee of sport bets (and tradar), there is at least a chance of making a return on your investment. In FIFA and co. there is none, but you get addicted all the same.

Please.. this is so obvious.. you have to be a moron to think it's anything like sports betting or real stocks. If you buy real stocks you actually own 1/n of a company('s assets). If you bet on sports you actually win real money. If you buy 1 share of Florian Wirtz for €85 on this "game" there is no real life value attached to it. You don't own 1/n of Florian Wirtz, you don't get real dividends when he generates money. It's worth the same as a share of Karim Bellarabi, 0, absolutely nothing. The only "value" attached to it is the hope that you'll find an even bigger idiot, who will pay you one more dollar. And that may work for a bit, while the system is increasing and idiots keep pumping their money into it. But then the platform stops to grow, the company can't sell new players, so they'll have to increase their comission on trades or cut "dividends", then the first "investors" want to take out their money and then they run out of bigger idiots and the prices crash, because they don't correspond to any real value and more and more people realize that they'll lose their money.
Sport bets usually have an investment horizon of a few days. It's in the nature of investing that the shorter the investment horizon, the more speculative it gets. Player development is at least somehwat predictable but a single match can always go either way and carefully computed quotas ensure that the bank always wins. In the mentioned app, you aren't playing against the bank, you are playing against other 'fools'.

But yes, if the platform doesn't reach the critical mass, the early adaptors are fecked. That still doesn't make it a pyramid scheme.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Sport bets usually have an investment horizon of a few days. It's in the nature of investing that the shorter the investment horizon, the more speculative it gets. Player development is at least somehwat predictable but a single match can always go either way and carefully computed quotas ensure that the bank always wins. In the mentioned app, you aren't playing against the bank, you are playing against other 'fools'.

But yes, if the platform doesn't reach the critical mass, the early adaptors are fecked. That still doesn't make it a pyramid scheme.
Name me a logical reason why player X doing well in real life would increase their value on this platform - other than make believe.

Last edited:

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
95% of crypto is a scam. For everyone involved I hope that this is the 5%.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Name me a logical reason why player X doing well in real life would increase their value on this platform - other than make believe.
The points players make for good performances based on tangible metrics (as in Kickbase, Communio, you name jt). You can exchange those for things with real money value like tickets, shirts and other stuff.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
The points players make for good performances based on tangible metrics (as in Kickbase, Communio, you name jt). You can exchange those for things with real money value like tickets, shirts and other stuff.

This is the part of the article you're referencing, right?

Die Token können bei guten Leistungen der Spieler zudem eine Art Prämienpunkte einbringen, die kein Geld wert sind, mit denen sich Fans aber beispielsweise die Teilnahme an der Verlosung von Trikots oder Eintrittskarten kaufen können.
So this makes it a logically sound investment?

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
This is the part of the article you're referencing, right?

So this makes it a logically sound investment?
Well, whether people will buy or not will depend on the incentive. As of now they've kept it very vague. I mean, do you think it will be completely random which players will increase and which not?

I mean, in general I think it would be a much more interesting concept if it would be something like a 'crowd funding platform for player purchases'. But still, I think you are way over the top in your assessment.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Well, whether people will buy or not will depend on the incentive. As of now they've kept it very vague. I mean, do you think it will be completely random which players will increase and which not?

I mean, in general I think it would be a much more interesting concept if it would be something like a 'crowd funding platform for player purchases'. But still, I think you are way over the top in your assessment.
What incentives? You couldn't produce any link to the real world, other than the chance to occasionally enter a raffle for tickets and jerseys that barely anyone wants to buy for money.

I don't think it's going to be random, because the platform will be populated by people, who are going to think it's basically like the stock market and thus will make arguments like:
"Sport bets usually have an investment horizon of a few days. It's in the nature of investing that the shorter the investment horizon, the more speculative it gets. Player development is at least somehwat predictable but a single match can always go either way and carefully computed quotas ensure that the bank always wins. In the mentioned app, you aren't playing against the bank, you are playing against other 'fools'."

But sooner or later, when growth starts to slow down, they will realize that a random shit coin isn't actually linked to a player's value, just because someone named it after them.
And then they will realize that all the platform cost, advertisements, " dividends" and precious Leverkusen ticket purchases that the company running this has to shoulder cost money. And since nothing of this corresponds to any real life value the only source of income that company has is people buying players off of them or each other. Which means when that dries up the terms of the platform will have to be altered.

And it's funny that you call my assessment way over the top, when we've already seen this exact business idea play out once and the article quotes a professor at a block chain center, who states that this is rather entertainment than a solid investment. All the while you couldn't produce any better financial argument than misrepresenting the promise to be able to enter a raffle for fan merch and tickets. And "they kept it vague".

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
What incentives? You couldn't produce any link to the real world, other than the chance to occasionally enter a raffle for tickets and jerseys that barely anyone wants to buy for money.

I don't think it's going to be random, because the platform will be populated by people, who are going to think it's basically like the stock market and thus will make arguments like:
"Sport bets usually have an investment horizon of a few days. It's in the nature of investing that the shorter the investment horizon, the more speculative it gets. Player development is at least somehwat predictable but a single match can always go either way and carefully computed quotas ensure that the bank always wins. In the mentioned app, you aren't playing against the bank, you are playing against other 'fools'."

But sooner or later, when growth starts to slow down, they will realize that a random shit coin isn't actually linked to a player's value, just because someone named it after them.
And then they will realize that all the platform cost, advertisements, " dividends" and precious Leverkusen ticket purchases that the company running this has to shoulder cost money. And since nothing of this corresponds to any real life value the only source of income that company has is people buying players off of them or each other. Which means when that dries up the terms of the platform will have to be altered.

And it's funny that you call my assessment way over the top, when we've already seen this exact business idea play out once and the article quotes a professor at a block chain center, who states that this is rather entertainment than a solid investment. All the while you couldn't produce any better financial argument than misrepresenting the promise to be able to enter a raffle for fan merch and tickets. And "they kept it vague".
See, whether or not this works depends on how people react to it. You and I can't predict that. I mean, you could end up right and the whole thing implodes, leaving those who still possess tokens fecked but if they reach the critical mass, they don't rely on growth for revenues. And in order to ensure that it doesn't implode, they need to provide incentives. They clearly are aware of that which is why they included these points for good performances. How exactly those will look will define whether or not this app will be interesting for users.

To be honest, I couldn't care less if it works out or fails as such things aren't for me anyway. The only reason I discuss this with you is that you're being a hypocrite again. You quote an expert that correctly says this is no solid investment option and should be used just for fjn when most stock exchange analysts will recommend you the very same regarding BVB stocks. You claim it's typical for plastic clubs to support this when every fecking Bundesliga club cooperates with sports betting platforms whose daily business is ruining existences of vulneeable people.

The reasons why you antagonize this so much are a) it is new and you are a traditionalist and b) it's adapted by 'plastic clubs' first (which is essentially an extension of a).

Oh, and thanks for the casual insults all the time :)

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Was going to ask what the reason is for Eberl leaving. My immediate thinking is he is a great snag but, while he was responsible for bringing the players in, wasn't he to blame for Gladbach basically losing all their best players for free for small fees and putting them in the spot of bother they're in now?

Hakara

Supports
Bayern München
Was going to ask what the reason is for Eberl leaving. My immediate thinking is he is a great snag but, while he was responsible for bringing the players in, wasn't he to blame for Gladbach basically losing all their best players for free for small fees and putting them in the spot of bother they're in now?
Apparently they didn't like it that he didn't kill the Bayern rumors and instead just said he was under contract with Leipzig. Thought that was a pretty standard response, but they didn't like it.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Schalke casually losing 0-3 to Paderborn. Let's hope Timo Baumgartl can find a good coach. According to the media they've been turned down by Sandro Schwarz and the agents are less than enthusiastic about sending their clients there.

I think he had a pretty big meltdown at the end. Not just because he lost an entire squad for free, but also other stuff, like how he handled the Rose situation and getting involved with a team manager he only hired a few months (weeks?) prior. But I don't think that necessarily makes him a bad pick for Bayern - people work through their issues all the time.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Schalke casually losing 0-3 to Paderborn. Let's hope Timo Baumgartl can find a good coach.
Maybe they should give the job to Baumgartl himself? Obviously he knows the team, knows how the team feels, has an understanding which tactics won't work and is already under contract. And on top he isn't shy of the Media.

I dare you to find a candidate that beat him in all categories, I bet you can't *scnr*

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
How can you defend against Füllkrug.. It's just not possible!

avgp_1

Doesnt look good for Mainz. Thought they played well in the 1st but Leverkusen have just picked them off in the second half.

0-3, game over pretty much.

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
I don't know why Poulsen starts a game this big, I think there are players better than him

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
corrected that. I think Sesko is better
I haven't watched that many Leipzig games recently, but I think in general Poulsen is a useful player to have around, even if he's low-scoring for a striker. He works hard, hassles defenders and opens up space for his team mates. Sesko played 120 minutes in the first five games, so I assume he's just not deemed ready for Bayern yet.

Hakara

Supports
Bayern München
Need prime Neuer back ASAP or start looking for a real replacement. Ulreich has always been a decent backup, but nothing more.