German Football 23/24 |

uamini

Supports
Herta BSC
Quick question for those who don't support Bayern:
Would you rather have Bayern win what feels like their 50th Bundesliga title in a row or watch a "plastic" club like Leverkusen or even Leipzig get their first league title?

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Would you rather have Bayern win what feels like their 50th Bundesliga title in a row or watch a "plastic" club like Leverkusen or even Leipzig get their first league title?
I wouldn't be ecstatic about it either, but I'd rather have Bayern win their 20thin a row than see some plastic club lift it. I mean what would be the point of it? Would neutrals feel like "oh that 50+1 circumventing club won it, what a great moment for football!".

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
There's so much space in Bayern's midfield if Tuchel doesn't find the right adjustments this could turn really ugly.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
I don't consider Leverkusen plastic at all, they were created as a club for employees from Bayer over 100 years ago and therefore are very different to Leipzig. RB Leipzig was created by buying a local club and branding it into RB less than two decades ago.

So yea, would much rather Leverkusen win than Bayern.

Swarm

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
In my book not all plastic clubs are created equal. To me Leipzig is by far the worst offender with its sole purpose of promoting the brand of a right wing feck from Austria that tragically passed away recently. I would rather see Bayern lift another 10 before they besmirch the Meisterschale like they already did the DFB Pokal.
I am less bitter about Leverkusen and while there is a boatload of other clubs I would rather see break Bayerns spell, I would be fine with it, especially if they do it playing great football as they do these days.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I'd definitely prefer Leipzig over Bayern.

Reij

Supports
Bayern Munchen
Laimer at RB needs binned.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
What a way for Leipzig to drop their lead: gifting away a penalty and getting counter attacked after their own corner :lol:

Reij

Supports
Bayern Munchen
Upamecano is constantly letting his opposition players get away from him, can't stay with them.
Frankly, I thought he's gonna go in summer after those disastrous last months of the season.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
That pass from Dutch Xavi was pretty absurd, don't want to imagine the headlines if Ulreich had mistimed his sweeping.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Had to be the third goal for Leipzig.
I wouldn't blame Sesko for losing the ball. Ulreich put everything (and then some) on the line and barely got to the ball.

B. Munich

Supports
Bayern Munich
Really hope Leipzig will show the same grit and perseverance next Tuesday against City.
They lost their last two matches, so Leipzig definitely has a good chance to get a result.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Wtf is it with Tuchel and starting and even subbing everyone including EMCM over Thomas Müller? While I still think a lot of Musiala, he is often enough all sizzle and no steak. Always dribbling through half the opponent team, but often enough no eye for his teammates. Our front three with Kane and anyone out of Coman/Sané/Gnabry just screams for Thomas Müller making Thomas Müller movements and playing Thomas Müller passes. Musiala can then come on when the opponent is already tired and really carve them open.

Last edited:

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Wtf is it with Tuchel and starting and even subbing everyone including EMCM over Thomas Müller? While I still think a lot of Musiala, he is often enough all sizzle and no steak. Always dribbling through half the opponent team, but often enough no eye for his teammates. Our front three with Kane and anyone out of Coman/Sané/Gnabry just screams for Thomas Müller making Thomas Müller movements and playing Thomas Müller passes. Musiala can then come on when the opponent is already tired and really carve them open.
Been saying this for over a year now and why I'm still doubtful whether playing as a CAM is his best position going forward. His ability to dribble past opponents at will, play some good passes and have a underrated shot screams someone who can play as a left winger cutting in rather than playing in the center and being the creative hub. He's the closest player Bayern have gotten to replace Ribery.

Also, Xavi Simons is the real deal. He's getting through this season but being talked about enough but he is just so good on the ball. Whether it be his first touch, his vision, his passing, all are top class for his age. I might put him alongside Wirtz, who has started the season a bit slower than usual.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
So Bayern, Leipzig and Leverkusen have already played each other after match day 6. All three teams also had one away and one home game.

Resultwise, we got out of this most favourably with 4 points, Bayern and Leipzig each have one. I didn't catch the whole Leipzig - Bayern match but from what I've seen and what xG suggests, I'd say Bayern was a bit unlucky not to win and I'd also say Leipzig was a bit unlucky not to draw in Leverkusen, though both results couldn't really be labelled as undeserved either.

Statistics aside and going by the 'eye test', I think Bayern has the most individual quality but they look erratic and surprisingly vulnerable. Even when they're playing well, I have the feeling they could derail every moment and especially after setbacks. They also lack a bit of squad depth and the players don't really seem to slot in all to well into what Tuchel wants to play.
We seem to be playing the best collective football but sometimes lack a bit of penetration in the final third. We don't really capitalize on Wirtz' ability in the new system as of now, even if he's not playing bad.
Leipzig is playing more of a direct brand of football and I expect them to struggle a bit when they encounter parked busses. Their xG stats also suggest that they won't really maintain the current goal output.

ForEverEleven

Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
We seem to be playing the best collective football but sometimes lack a bit of penetration in the final third. We don't really capitalize on Wirtz' ability in the new system as of now, even if he's not playing bad.
I mean, at the moment its Wirtz himself who is not really capitalizing on his abilities. Unusally sloppy in possession yesterday and in a few other games as well. His decision making, which I consider one of his greatest strengths, hasnt been that good either so far. Hopefully this is just some time needed to get adjusted to the new system rather than a longer dip of form.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Whenever I watch a bit of Bayern this season there usually comes a point when I think to myself: "what the heck is the €100m striker doing in no mans land, playing simple passes or even crossing the ball into the box? So my guess would be that Kane is taking up too much of Müller's role for it to make sense to play them both.
To underline this a little bit with stats:

I don't think he's been fitting in very well tactically so far, but then he's still getting loads of goals and assists, so maybe I'm wrong.

Last edited:

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I mean, at the moment its Wirtz himself who is not really capitalizing on his abilities. Unusally sloppy in possession yesterday and in a few other games as well. His decision making, which I consider one of his greatest strengths, hasnt been that good either so far. Hopefully this is just some time needed to get adjusted to the new system rather than a longer dip of form.
Can't really agree with that. He had games with >90% passing accuracy, even yesterday he had 85% or so. At the moment, he's integrated very well in the ball circulation but ge struggles to find dangerous spaces, so at times he tries to force it and goes into very difficult dribblings. Adli and Hofmann are much better at finding those spaces right now. Recently read he's still second in the league for expected assists so it's criticism on a high level. Boniface has been particularly wasteful after Wirtz passes so far.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Is see Kane scored his customary penalty, he's gonna rack up double digit penalty conversions at this rate. He'll also score over 30 league goals this season, maybe a shot at 40. What's the German top flight record?

ForEverEleven

Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Is see Kane scored his customary penalty, he's gonna rack up double digit penalty conversions at this rate. He'll also score over 30 league goals this season, maybe a shot at 40. What's the German top flight record?
41 by Lewandowski a few years ago.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Boateng back to Bayern? Are you fecking kidding me?!

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund

Maybe they will actually go bust. :lol:

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I think the worst part about it is when you consider how little morals must be valued, when you throw them over board so you can re-sign someone, you released two years ago, so he can play about as big a role as Daley Blind did. And of course some of the statements:
Freund calling it a private matter or Tuchel (not that I'm one bit surprised there) talking about the right to make footballing decisions. All supposedly based on the fact that Boateng's domestic violence case is getting a re-trial - in part, because the state was seeking a harsher sentence. Even if we leave morals out of it, how much of a private matter will it be when that re-trial happens and all the nasty details get rehashed in public, while Boateng is part of the team?

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
I think the worst part about it is when you consider how little morals must be valued, when you throw them over board so you can re-sign someone, you released two years ago, so he can play about as big a role as Daley Blind did. And of course some of the statements:
Freund calling it a private matter or Tuchel (not that I'm one bit surprised there) talking about the right to make footballing decisions. All supposedly based on the fact that Boateng's domestic violence case is getting a re-trial - in part, because the state was seeking a harsher sentence. Even if we leave morals out of it, how much of a private matter will it be when that re-trial happens and all the nasty details get rehashed in public, while Boateng is part of the team?
If the case is still going on and he hasn't served his time then it's not the right time to sign him again. Are there any other free agent CBs available?

uamini

Supports
Herta BSC
Union now with their 6th loss in a row, including two CL losses both decided in the 94th minute...I guess they've finally hit their rough spell.
Next match: away in Dortmund ^^

From a distance, this kinda feels like the typical underdog who wanted to achieve more and lost his way, but I do expect them to make a recovery...their squad does look decent.

Will be interesting to see if and when their hipster fans will start to complain though since all those years of overachieving will have attracted quite an amount of people who are not used to losing.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Union now with their 6th loss in a row, including two CL losses both decided in the 94th minute...I guess they've finally hit their rough spell.
Next match: away in Dortmund ^^

From a distance, this kinda feels like the typical underdog who wanted to achieve more and lost his way, but I do expect them to make a recovery...their squad does look decent.

Will be interesting to see if and when their hipster fans will start to complain though since all those years of overachieving will have attracted quite an amount of people who are not used to losing.
Hasn't it almost become the norm for small(er) club that completes the top four to go bust next season - ever since it's been Bayern, Dortmund and Leipzig established their subscriptions on CL football?

22/23 Union => 6 losses in a row and counting
21/22 Leverkusen => Seoane's catastrophic start
20/21 Wolfsburg => finished 12th
19/20 Gladbach => a masterpiece of a club meltdown
18/19 Leverkusen => finished 5th, the exception
17/18 Schalke => :drool:, Hoffenheim => 9th

I don't think it's that bad yet. Getting narrow defeats in the CL is kind of to be expected, considering their lack of experience. In the league they are missing like 3-6 points against Wolfsburg, Hoffenheim and Heidenheim. It's not a good look, but it could also even itself out quite quickly. Their biggest issue seems to be qualtiy/form upfront.
Becker has 0G/1A in the league, Fofana has nothing, Volland has been suspended, Aaronsen struggles to get minutes and Behrens seems to be performing at his usual level again, after two very productive games at the start.

When you're playing defensive lineups and your attackers are out of form, you won't score a lot of goals and if you can't score you'll have pretty slim margins to even get a point. Today they got their goals though, Becker in particular, so maybe this will resurrect their attacking output.

I also think their stadium is small enough that you shouldn't see too negative an atmosphere. I think that often comes from "excess" seats.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Crap again. I'm really losing patience with Tuchel. It's like in the past 14 years there has been a super simple litmus test for Bayern coaches: Do they know how to utilize Müller? Whenever we have been good or great in more than the last decade, he was right at the center of things. Every time he fell out of favor, we were shit sooner rather than later. And Tuchel's currently failing that one.

Reij

Supports
Bayern Munchen
For this slow and meticulous build up, Bayern needs another ball playing midfielder alongside Kimmich and a DM, not box to box ones.
Musiala at CAM is not it, move it to the wing or sell. Only luxury players tolerable are Messi, Ronaldo and half Mbappe.
Kane is also not integrated into the team.
I don't enjoy much.. Bayern with Tuchel on the bench.
Football nowadays is all about ruthless efficiency. This slow shite is a downgrade for Bayern.