German Football 23/24 |

mintyred

Tuchel might be the most overrated coach in the world. He's gotten very lucky in his career and keeps getting top-level jobs and then failing. A constant theme is he falls out with people. Maybe it's his ego along with his lack of accountability.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Tuchel might be the most overrated coach in the world. He's gotten very lucky in his career and keeps getting top-level jobs and then failing. A constant theme is he falls out with people. Maybe it's his ego along with his lack of accountability.
He worked his way up from academy assistant coach all the way to the top of the pyramid. All the clubs he left so far were worse off without him and even Bayern were already struggling before him, sacking their coach and management at the end of last season.

It seems clearer and clearer that he just doesn't have the soft skills to last at a big club, but I don't see where he's been excessively lucky, nor where he's been failing his jobs, aside from the current one, I guess.

I didn't watch the game, but it seems like they made this a penalty via VAR?

I mean a couple of weeks ago it was explained to us that you that playing the ball can be an offense, because of the"Nachziehbein", but here it is fine to put your open sole into a swinging motion and even cause to get yourself a penalty awarded by VAR?

Last edited:

Pyrite

He worked his way up from academy assistant coach all the way to the top of the pyramid. All the clubs he left so far were worse off without him and even Bayern were already struggling before him, sacking their coach and management at the end of last season.
He had video analyst Benjamin Weber on his side all the way until he went to Bayern. Coincidence? I think not.
It seems clearer and clearer that he just doesn't have the soft skills to last at a big club, but I don't see where he's been excessively lucky, nor where he's been failing his jobs, aside from the current one, I guess.
If anything, the the exact opposite is the case. He was ONLY so successful because he pawned off serious work to the real genius Benjamin Weber, AND highly intelligent field generals like Hummels, Gündogan, Neymar, Verratti, Thiago Silva, Azpilicueta, Jorginho and Kanté. All he was good at was cheering on and motivating his players as well as stealing credit from them and Weber; he's actually pretty charismatic in a superficial way. But when he actually has to do his own tactical work like at Bayern, he fails miserably.

I don't get how he's often stereotyped as a genius nerd with no social skills. I think it's because he looks like a nerd at the first glance and is pretty articulate in interviews, which skews the perceptions of football fans. But when you delve a bit more deeply into what he actually says, there's not a lot of substance in it. He often says he has no clue about why his team underperforms, even though his tactics have been found out and anyone with a pro coaching license should have been able to recognize when the opponents will begin adapting eventually.

His training methods lead to lots of injuries, because he puts too much emphasis on physicality, pace and stamina over tactics, technique and movement. Even French media pointed that out when he was at PSG. He wasn't working enough on tactical and technical subjects.

He's a lot more charismatic and socially adept than given credit for though. How else could he succeed at PSG, a far more chaotic, ineptly-managed club than Bayern with far bigger egos and more toxicity yet fail at Bayern? If he were actually a nerd, he would have failed there like Emery and succeeded at a club with smaller egos like Aston Villa. But he went the opposite way, unless you somehow argue that Bayern is fundamentally a worse club than PSG. :lol: He succeeded there because he was a cheerleader, not a coach. He let Neymar and Verratti coach the team instead of doing it himself, and allowed Mbappe to do what he wants without having to develop any pattern of play himself.

At Chelsea, he did the same. If he built a sustainable system like a true tactician, he would have been able to compete with City and Liverpool with monsters like Kanté, Jorginho, Azpilicueta and Thiago Silva. He had an instant impact, which had more to do with his charisma, emotion and soft skills than his non-existent tactical nous. di Matteo did the same. Whatever tactical shortcomings he had, he could compensate through Benjamin Weber's work and his field generals' tactical IQ. Real Madrid and Atletico were going through a crisis, and Pep screwed up in the final. He didn't win it on his own merits.

He's the Miles Bron of football, end of. All marketing and soft skills, no substance.

Last edited:

mintyred

I didn't watch the game, but it seems like they made this a penalty via VAR?

I mean a couple of weeks ago it was explained to us that you that playing the ball can be an offense, because of the"Nachziehbein", but here it is fine to put your open sole into a swinging motion and even cause to get yourself a penalty awarded by VAR?
He’s had good jobs but he’s not taken advantage of them bar Chelsea. All the clubs he’s left are fine after he’s left bar Chelsea who are in a state due to ownership.

He clearly struggles with top level jobs and is better a level below that. He’ll run out of big clubs to struggle at before he’s at dortmund level clubs again.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
He’s had good jobs but he’s not taken advantage of them bar Chelsea. All the clubs he’s left are fine after he’s left bar Chelsea who are in a state due to ownership.

He clearly struggles with top level jobs and is better a level below that. He’ll run out of big clubs to struggle at before he’s at dortmund level clubs again.
Dortmund never reached the level again they had under Tuchel, which was on par with Klopp. Wouldn't call that "they are fine"

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Every coach has a couple of trusted staff members that they carry around with them from club to club. And the media really likes to big some of them up. E.g. Zeljko "the brain" Buvac, who supposedly did the heavy lifting, while Klopp was only talk (sound familiar?).

I don't know what's more ridiculous: the notion that a coach is a puppet for his video analyst or that a coach somehow had a decade of success at different clubs in different competitions by leaving the tactics to his player.

I didn't watch a lot of PSG, but he won the league twice, won the cup once and lost the final on pens the other time and of course made the CL final. There wasn't a lot more he could have achieved. PSG lost the title after he left and both coaches that followed him had a significantly weaker ppg. Dortmund barely made top four the season after he left, Mainz struggled, too.

Goldfiessli

Supports
FC Basel
Looks like Darmstadt are trying to break the record for most brainfarts in a match.

verycute

Supports
Schalke
0:5 after 29minutes. Joachim Löw is probably coming in and telling Augsburg not to humiliate them anymore in their own Stadium

Pyrite

Dortmund never reached the level again they had under Tuchel, which was on par with Klopp. Wouldn't call that "they are fine"
Favre was even better than Tuchel, and WITHOUT Hummels, Gündogan or Mkhitaryan. He's a much better coach, being meticulous AF, but lacks the charisma, mentality and flexibility for big clubs.

In fact, once Tuchel lost the three, he played terrible football even though he could have managed his midfield better with Guerreiro and even Dembele.

Last edited:

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Darmstadt home 1W3D9L 13 games 6 points
Darmstadt away 1W4D6L 11games 7 points

Feels quite unusual for a minnow to be better on the road than at home. Bochum for example are 19pts vs 8pts, Heidenheim 18pts vs 10pts, Mainz 12pts vs 6pts, Union 17pts vs 8pts..

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Maatsen is really refreshing. I think he's a little overrated at this point, but the way he's running up and down the pitch all game long, sometimes in the center, sometimes on the wing, really adds a lot to Dortmund's otherwise painfully static attacks.

Last edited:

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Favre was even better than Tuchel, and WITHOUT Hummels, Gündogan or Mkhitaryan. He's a much better coach, being meticulous AF, but lacks the charisma, mentality and flexibility for big clubs.

In fact, once Tuchel lost the three, he played terrible football even though he could have managed his midfield better with Guerreiro and even Dembele.
Favre got 76 points in his first season and went downwards from that, winning a Supercup while being there. Tuchel's first season was 78 points and he won a Cup while being at Dormtund. Objectively Tuchel had the higher heights and the higher lows (Favre was sacked in his third season with a relatively abysmal PPG average of 1.73

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
He’s made a good impression in Dortmund then ;)

Pyrite

Every coach has a couple of trusted staff members that they carry around with them from club to club. And the media really likes to big some of them up. E.g. Zeljko "the brain" Buvac, who supposedly did the heavy lifting, while Klopp was only talk (sound familiar?).

I don't know what's more ridiculous: the notion that a coach is a puppet for his video analyst or that a coach somehow had a decade of success at different clubs in different competitions by leaving the tactics to his player.
Surely there are some cases where it actually happened?

Kovac' football got better once he hired Flick as his assistant.

Between Löw and Klinsmann, it was obvious who was the better tactician. Same for Löw and Flick.

Laurent Blanc's success is sometimes attributed to Jean-Louis Gasset (who later became a head coach).

Likewise with Jose Mourinho and Rui Faria.

Even Buvac being the true brain at the time might have been true. Klopp's football was more high-octane and relied a bit too much on pressing as well as pushing men forward to create chances back then. Especially German fans even complained that he was just a motivator whose tactics had been found out. That was why Tuchel was seen as a far better and more flexible coach back then. I wouldn't go that far (he had a lot of bad luck in his last Dortmund season and first Liverpool one), but he definitely had some shortcomings back then. And I don't think Buvac would call himself the brain without anything to back it up. Sure, he was probably exaggerating, but there had to be something to it. When he left, Liverpool even had a bit of a slump. Only by improving himself and learning did Klopp become the well-rounded, more possession-based genius he currently is.

Even Edin Terzic' tactical work improved a bit with Sahin (a more possession-based coach) at his side.

As for relying on players, how else could you explain Lampard, who's rightly considered a terrible manager by everyone, doing well right after Sarri? He had all these field generals who were so intelligent that even he could play good football for quite a while.

Same for Ancelotti. He often gets criticized for not being tactically sophisticated enough, and not succeeding much anywhere but at Real Madrid. Especially German fans give him a lot of grief for failing at Bayern with the players even finding his training methods too lax and simplistic. Now as a German fan, do you think he's a good coach by the logic you just used to defend Tuchel, or does he just rely on highly intelligent field generals like Kroos or Modric?

I didn't watch a lot of PSG, but he won the league twice, won the cup once and lost the final on pens the other time and of course made the CL final. There wasn't a lot more he could have achieved. PSG lost the title after he left and both coaches that followed him had a significantly weaker ppg. Dortmund barely made top four the season after he left, Mainz struggled, too.
It was a COVID cup. He benefitted a lot from PSG being fresh while his opponents had to tire themselves out. Despite him having Neymar, Mbappe, Marquinhos and Verratti, he almost went out against Dortmund and Atalanta. Leipzig was individually far worse, and Bayern utterly dominated them.

Last edited:

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Surely there are some cases where it actually happened?

Kovac' football got better once he hired Flick as his assistant.

Between Löw and Klinsmann, it was obvious who was the better tactician. Same for Löw and Flick.

Laurent Blanc's success is sometimes attributed to Jean-Louis Gasset (who later became a head coach).

Likewise with Jose Mourinho and Rui Faria.

Even Buvac being the true brain at the time might have been true. Klopp's football was more high-octane and relied a bit too much on pressing as well as pushing men forward to create chances back then. Especially German fans even complained that he was just a motivator whose tactics had been found out. That was why Tuchel was seen as a far better and more flexible coach back then. I wouldn't go that far (he had a lot of bad luck in his last Dortmund season and first Liverpool one), but he definitely had some shortcomings back then. And I don't think Buvac would call himself the brain without anything to back it up. Sure, he was probably exaggerating, but there had to be something to it. When he left, Liverpool even had a bit of a slump. Only by improving himself and learning did Klopp become the well-rounded, more possession-based genius he currently is.

Even Edin Terzic' tactical work improved a bit with Sahin (a more possession-based coach) at his side.

As for relying on players, how else could you explain Lampard, who's rightly considered a terrible manager by everyone, doing well right after Sarri? He had all these field generals who were so intelligent that even he could play good football for quite a while.

Same for Ancelotti. He often gets criticized for not being tactically sophisticated enough, and not succeeding much anywhere but at Real Madrid. Especially German fans give him a lot of grief for failing at Bayern with the players even finding his training methods too lax and simplistic. Now as a German fan, do you think he's a good coach by the logic you just used to defend Tuchel, or does he just rely on highly intelligent field generals like Kroos or Modric?
This is Q-Anon levels of logic.

Löw was the brains behind Klinsmann, but then he did a complete 180 with his role and was the face for Flick?

Kovac improved so much with Flick, he was sacked about 10 games after they started working together.

Laurent Blanc's former assistant is now a head coach, who rarely holds down a job for more than one season and gets sacked in the middle of a tournament, does that prove that he was the reason Blanc was once a respected coach?

And Ancelotti is successful at Real, because he has "midfield generals" - from your post I have to assume they are helping him with his training regime? I guess he got unlucky that no one could help him out at Bayern, because he only had legendary captains, such as Xabi Alonso, Neuer, Kimmich, Hummels, Lahm at his disposal.

The logical reason why coaches are successful over longer periods and across clubs is that they are competent coaches. Arguing that they aren't responsible for their own success, because they had long-term working relationships with assistants is simply preposterous to put it nicely. Just about everyone, who ever coached professional football has a couple of trusted staff members they take with them from club to club. Pep Guardiola has been working with the same video analyst since 2007 and the same fitness coach since 2008. If it was that simple he'd be a proven front for them, too. If you want to discredit someone's work you need more proof than that.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Maatsen is really refreshing. I think he's a little overrated at this point, but the way he's running up and down the pitch all game long, sometimes in the center, sometimes on the wing, really adds a lot to Dortmund's otherwise painfully static attacks.
Do you think you'll pay his £35 mil clause?

Conor

He had video analyst Benjamin Weber on his side all the way until he went to Bayern. Coincidence? I think not.

If anything, the the exact opposite is the case. He was ONLY so successful because he pawned off serious work to the real genius Benjamin Weber, AND highly intelligent field generals like Hummels, Gündogan, Neymar, Verratti, Thiago Silva, Azpilicueta, Jorginho and Kanté. All he was good at was cheering on and motivating his players as well as stealing credit from them and Weber; he's actually pretty charismatic in a superficial way. But when he actually has to do his own tactical work like at Bayern, he fails miserably.

I don't get how he's often stereotyped as a genius nerd with no social skills. I think it's because he looks like a nerd at the first glance and is pretty articulate in interviews, which skews the perceptions of football fans. But when you delve a bit more deeply into what he actually says, there's not a lot of substance in it. He often says he has no clue about why his team underperforms, even though his tactics have been found out and anyone with a pro coaching license should have been able to recognize when the opponents will begin adapting eventually.

His training methods lead to lots of injuries, because he puts too much emphasis on physicality, pace and stamina over tactics, technique and movement. Even French media pointed that out when he was at PSG. He wasn't working enough on tactical and technical subjects.

He's a lot more charismatic and socially adept than given credit for though. How else could he succeed at PSG, a far more chaotic, ineptly-managed club than Bayern with far bigger egos and more toxicity yet fail at Bayern? If he were actually a nerd, he would have failed there like Emery and succeeded at a club with smaller egos like Aston Villa. But he went the opposite way, unless you somehow argue that Bayern is fundamentally a worse club than PSG. :lol: He succeeded there because he was a cheerleader, not a coach. He let Neymar and Verratti coach the team instead of doing it himself, and allowed Mbappe to do what he wants without having to develop any pattern of play himself.

At Chelsea, he did the same. If he built a sustainable system like a true tactician, he would have been able to compete with City and Liverpool with monsters like Kanté, Jorginho, Azpilicueta and Thiago Silva. He had an instant impact, which had more to do with his charisma, emotion and soft skills than his non-existent tactical nous. di Matteo did the same. Whatever tactical shortcomings he had, he could compensate through Benjamin Weber's work and his field generals' tactical IQ. Real Madrid and Atletico were going through a crisis, and Pep screwed up in the final. He didn't win it on his own merits.

He's the Miles Bron of football, end of. All marketing and soft skills, no substance.

Pyrite

This is Q-Anon levels of logic.
Not at all, it's pretty mundane.
Löw was the brains behind Klinsmann, but then he did a complete 180 with his role and was the face for Flick?
Just because X is a better tactician than Y doesn't mean there's no Z who's better than X.
Kovac improved so much with Flick, he was sacked about 10 games after they started working together.
He stil helped. And 10 games is nothing to sneeze at for a BL team.
Laurent Blanc's former assistant is now a head coach, who rarely holds down a job for more than one season and gets sacked in the middle of a tournament, does that prove that he was the reason Blanc was once a respected coach?
Not all good tacticians make good coaches, unfortunately. Just ask Manuel Baum. A good tactician and a highly intelligent man with good insights, but had his coaching career irreversibly ruined after he utterly failed at Schalke. And just because Gasset wasn't very successful as a head coach doesn't necessarily mean he isn't/wasn't a great assistant/tactician/analyst.
And Ancelotti is successful at Real, because he has "midfield generals" - from your post I have to assume they are helping him with his training regime? I guess he got unlucky that no one could help him out at Bayern, because he only had legendary captains, such as Xabi Alonso, Neuer, Kimmich, Hummels, Lahm at his disposal.
What about Napoli and Everton? He was far from a failure there, but could have gotten significantly better results if he was technically/tactically more sophisticated. He's (successfully) tinkering more out of necessity these days though, so maybe he's improved.

BTW, I didn't mean he left the training and preparation to his field generals. That would be stupid. But instead of complicated tinkering/adjustments/patterns of play, he just let them find solutions on the pitch during games.
The logical reason why coaches are successful over longer periods and across clubs is that they are competent coaches. Arguing that they aren't responsible for their own success, because they had long-term working relationships with assistants is simply preposterous to put it nicely. Just about everyone, who ever coached professional football has a couple of trusted staff members they take with them from club to club. Pep Guardiola has been working with the same video analyst since 2007 and the same fitness coach since 2008. If it was that simple he'd be a proven front for them, too. If you want to discredit someone's work you need more proof than that.
It depends. If a coach can be successful with different staff members, he probably knows his stuff. But when his work goes south as soon as one of them leaves, it's probably not the case.

Sometimes you can't judge just from that though, especially if there's always the same people. But even then you can see the red flags.

Someone like Pep Guardiola is genuinely obsessed with football. He trains his team hard, has high expectations for both himself and his players, and most importantly, comes across as highly intelligent. His analyses are always accurate, and even when he's having a "1000 Dantes" moment, it's because he wants to protect his players.

Conversely, Tuchel comes across as a narcissist for whom coaching is just a means to fame and fortune. He carefully cultivates a nerdy genius image including with his haircut, while being anything but.

He's pretty articulate, but there's no substance whatsoever in what he's saying. His analyses are detached from reality (as if the one-dimensional physical beast Palhinha was gonna step up when the technician in the midfield is taken out of the game), he always says he has no clue why he drops points although it should be clear by now that his system has been found out since the Leverkusen game and every opponent under the sun sets up the same tactics. He also never takes responsibility for losses and draws. Case in point, his outdated understanding of football led him to try to use the dinosaur tactic "let's sub out an attacker that was supporting the midfield a lot for an extra defender", which led Freiburg to regain control and score the equalizer. He also gave away that Kimmich would play at RB in the pre-match presser all the while acknowledging that Freiburg is a pretty tactically clever team, leading Streich to set up to ruthlessly exploit Kimmich at the beginning of the game. Did he talk about these two grave mistakes? Of course not. In fact, he probably doesn't even recognize he made any mistakes against Freiburg.

He has very poor talent identification skills, which hampers his tactical ability because tactics is about getting the best out of your players when they're up against another team.

He became known for his laziness as well as lax and outdated training methods in France at PSG.

He's also undereducated and not very academically gifted. Coaches like Klopp and Nagelsmann studied sports science, which made them more scientifically literate and familiar with analytics, statistics and modern training methods. In contrast, Tuchel flunked both psychology and English. In an interview a few months ago, he admitted he was surprised he got very high scores in his coaching education because he was never a good student. That was why he lost the FA Cup final to Liverpool; while he foolishly expected his Kepa sub gimmick to work on someone as smart and analytical as Klopp after he already used it twice in different games, Klopp easily deduced that he'd try it and worked with neuroscientists to work around Kepa's way of saving penalties. Unlike Tuchel, he was intellectually well-equipped to communicate with scientists and incorporate their findings into his plans.

In conclusion, it's extremely unlikely for such an irresponsible, narcissistic, shallow, lazy and unintelligent person to have developed good tactical and technical skills when it comes to managing a football team.

When he relegates the next team he signs up for, you'll all agree with me.

Last edited:

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Do you think you'll pay his £35 mil clause?
I doubt Dortmund could afford that at the moment, even if they wanted to. Especially if they miss out on top four this year, which is more likely to happen than not.

There's also the fact that Dortmund have their own 19 year old LB talent, who is currently doing well for himself in the 2nd division. Assuming that he's a serious candidate for the first team it doesn't make a lot of sense to spend a lot of money to block his path.

I think it makes much more sense to spend that kind of money on a RB and/or ball-playing DM, to adress the team's issues in build up that way.

Not at all, it's pretty mundane.

Just because X is a better tactician than Y doesn't mean there's no Z who's better than X.

He stil helped. And 10 games is nothing to sneeze at for a BL team.

Not all good tacticians make good coaches, unfortunately. Just ask Manuel Baum. A good tactician and a highly intelligent man with good insights, but had his coaching career irreversibly ruined after he utterly failed at Schalke. And just because Gasset wasn't very successful as a head coach doesn't necessarily mean he isn't/wasn't a great assistant/tactician/analyst.

What about Napoli and Everton? He was far from a failure there, but could have gotten significantly better results if he was technically/tactically more sophisticated. He's (successfully) tinkering more out of necessity these days though, so maybe he's improved.

BTW, I didn't mean he left the training and preparation to his field generals. That would be stupid. But instead of complicated tinkering/adjustments/patterns of play, he just let them find solutions on the pitch during games.

It depends. If a coach can be successful with different staff members, he probably knows his stuff. But when his work goes south as soon as one of them leaves, it's probably not the case.

Sometimes you can't judge just from that though, especially if there's always the same people. But even then you can see the red flags.

Someone like Pep Guardiola is genuinely obsessed with football. He trains his team hard, has high expectations for both himself and his players, and most importantly, comes across as highly intelligent. His analyses are always accurate, and even when he's having a "1000 Dantes" moment, it's because he wants to protect his players.

Conversely, Tuchel comes across as a narcissist for whom coaching is just a means to fame and fortune. He carefully cultivates a nerdy genius image including with his haircut, while being anything but.

He's pretty articulate, but there's no substance whatsoever in what he's saying. His analyses are detached from reality (as if the one-dimensional physical beast Palhinha was gonna step up when the technician in the midfield is taken out of the game), he always says he has no clue why he drops points although it should be clear by now that his system has been found out since the Leverkusen game and every opponent under the sun sets up the same tactics. He also never takes responsibility for losses and draws. Case in point, his outdated understanding of football led him to try to use the dinosaur tactic "let's sub out an attacker that was supporting the midfield a lot for an extra defender", which led Freiburg to regain control and score the equalizer. He also gave away that Kimmich would play at RB in the pre-match presser all the while acknowledging that Freiburg is a pretty tactically clever team, leading Streich to set up to ruthlessly exploit Kimmich at the beginning of the game. Did he talk about these two grave mistakes? Of course not. In fact, he probably doesn't even recognize he made any mistakes against Freiburg.

He has very poor talent identification skills, which hampers his tactical ability because tactics is about getting the best out of your players when they're up against another team.

He became known for his laziness as well as lax and outdated training methods in France at PSG.

He's also undereducated and not very academically gifted. Coaches like Klopp and Nagelsmann studied sports science, which made them more scientifically literate and familiar with analytics, statistics and modern training methods. In contrast, Tuchel flunked both psychology and English. In an interview a few months ago, he admitted he was surprised he got very high scores in his coaching education because he was never a good student. That was why he lost the FA Cup final to Liverpool; while he foolishly expected his Kepa sub gimmick to work on someone as smart and analytical as Klopp after he already used it twice in different games, Klopp easily deduced that he'd try it and worked with neuroscientists to work around Kepa's way of saving penalties. Unlike Tuchel, he was intellectually well-equipped to communicate with scientists and incorporate their findings into his plans.

In conclusion, it's extremely unlikely for such an irresponsible, narcissistic, shallow, lazy and unintelligent person to have developed good tactical and technical skills when it comes to managing a football team.

When he relegates the next team he signs up for, you'll all agree with me.
Guardiola: Tuchel is one of the few managers I constantly learn from

Pyrite

Nice try, but it doesn't address any of my points. Did he actually mean it, or is it just another "1000 Dantes" comment? He's a genius freak of nature who wouldn't look out of place in some of the most selective high IQ societies; he has nothing to learn from anyone but Klopp, least of all from an utter fraud like Tuchel.

Even if he DID mean it, of course Tuchel would look like a good coach with a genius like Benjamin Weber and the sheer luxury of having 3-4 field generals problem solving on the pitch. Pep isn't privy to anything happening in Tuchel's dressing room, any secret trainings and all his tactical/personnel considerations, and he's not concerned with any of these, so he can only see what's happening during games. Like almost the entirety of footballing world, he misattributed everything to Tuchel's own work, so he's in good company.

Last edited:

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Nice try, but it doesn't address any of my points. Did he actually mean it, or is it just another "1000 Dantes" comment? He's a genius freak of nature who wouldn't look out of place in some of the most selective high IQ societies; he has nothing to learn from anyone but Klopp, least of all from an utter fraud like Tuchel.

Even if he DID mean it, of course Tuchel would look like a good coach with a genius like Benjamin Weber and the sheer luxury of having 3-4 field generals problem solving on the pitch. Pep isn't privy to anything happening in Tuchel's dressing room, any secret trainings and all his tactical/personnel considerations, and he's not concerned with any of these, so he can only see what's happening during games. Like almost the entirety of footballing world, he misattributed everything to Tuchel's own work, so he's in good company.
https://www.br.de/nachrichten/sport...alzstreuer-bewunderung-und-rivalitaet,Tb0grb2

Their meeting at "Schumanns" restaurant in 2015 probably is the source for this admiration Pep has for Tuchel, and there Tuchel had no assistant or midfield general or whatever to make him look better.

LilienFan

Supports
Darmstadt
0:5 after 29minutes. Joachim Löw is probably coming in and telling Augsburg not to humiliate them anymore in their own Stadium
No but our coach probably told the team afterwards: Happens to the best, me and Scolari, you and Brazil.

I had no expecations for this season, but relegation. Yet his decisions still piss me off. How do I put it in easy terms.

- Our goalkeeper´s command of the box makes DDG look like Manuel Neuer.
- We always play with a LB that is a defensive specialist that can´t defend and crosses like Wan Bissaka, although we have a capable 24 year old, who outplays him every leap day that he sees the light of day.
- Our central midfielders and centrebacks are a combined 140 years old in about any iteration and move that way, too.
- Our starting RB is always injured, so we sold his passable back-up, so one of our ancient shitty CB who was in the stands for weeks could deputize as RB.
- We have tried four central forwards and they are all tied for the club lead with one goal in 24 games.
- We have a young striker that represented Germany at youth level and can´t get a game. But apparently he doesn´t deserve a shot, so we signed a 32 year old from the bench of relegation threatened Schalke.
- Oh we also signed a guy from relegation threatened Bochum during the winter break, who thought so little of us as competition or the player, that they just don´t care. He played one game.
- We also have the ancient German Ward Prowse, who somehow still gets us results, so the coach doesn´t play him, because he´s too old.
- Of course we also have a 23 year old central midfielder on the bench that wins 75% of his duels and the team has roughly an even goal differential with him on the pitch. Naturally manager hasn´t started him all year.
- Fans are saying our warm-up efforts look like Marcus Rashford the morning after a night in Belfast, but our coach doesn´t watch them.

Happy days.

RG77

Supports
Real Madrid
Leverkusen up 1-0 against Köln. Not to jinx them; but could they actually go unbeaten all season? Will the mad man do it? Really rooting for them to pull it off.

Red Royal

No but our coach probably told the team afterwards: Happens to the best, me and Scolari, you and Brazil.

I had no expecations for this season, but relegation. Yet his decisions still piss me off. How do I put it in easy terms.

- Our goalkeeper´s command of the box makes DDG look like Manuel Neuer.
- We always play with a LB that is a defensive specialist that can´t defend and crosses like Wan Bissaka, although we have a capable 24 year old, who outplays him every leap day that he sees the light of day.
- Our central midfielders and centrebacks are a combined 140 years old in about any iteration and move that way, too.
- Our starting RB is always injured, so we sold his passable back-up, so one of our ancient shitty CB who was in the stands for weeks could deputize as RB.
- We have tried four central forwards and they are all tied for the club lead with one goal in 24 games.
- We have a young striker that represented Germany at youth level and can´t get a game. But apparently he doesn´t deserve a shot, so we signed a 32 year old from the bench of relegation threatened Schalke.
- Oh we also signed a guy from relegation threatened Bochum during the winter break, who thought so little of us as competition or the player, that they just don´t care. He played one game.
- We also have the ancient German Ward Prowse, who somehow still gets us results, so the coach doesn´t play him, because he´s too old.
- Of course we also have a 23 year old central midfielder on the bench that wins 75% of his duels and the team has roughly an even goal differential with him on the pitch. Naturally manager hasn´t started him all year.
- Fans are saying our warm-up efforts look like Marcus Rashford the morning after a night in Belfast, but our coach doesn´t watch them.

Happy days.
That's a great summary and most on here must feel your pain as it sounds familiar

uamini

Supports
Herta BSC
10 point lead incoming...
It's really gonna hurt in May when they manage to lose their final match at home to Augsburg, allowing Bayern to pass them thanx to a 98th minute goal.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
10 point lead incoming...
It's really gonna hurt in May when they manage to lose their final match at home to Augsburg, allowing Bayern to pass them thanx to a 98th minute goal.
I actually prefer such posts to all the premature congratulations :D

uamini

Supports
Herta BSC
I actually prefer such posts to all the premature congratulations :D
What I'm actually saying is I'd REALLY like your guys to finish this off early. ;)
I don't trust any German team in those final matchday scenarios...

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
What I'm actually saying is I'd REALLY like your guys to finish this off early. ;)
I don't trust any German team in those final matchday scenarios...
Neither do I :nervous:

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Holy sheet Leverkusen are really trying to make this the most spectacular collapse of all time :nervous::nervous::nervous:

Pyrite

https://www.br.de/nachrichten/sport...alzstreuer-bewunderung-und-rivalitaet,Tb0grb2

Their meeting at "Schumanns" restaurant in 2015 probably is the source for this admiration Pep has for Tuchel, and there Tuchel had no assistant or midfield general or whatever to make him look better.
A one-off meeting does not a good tactician make. Sure, Pep may have been impressed, but by what standard?

Did Pep see him as genuinely great, or just "not bad for a young German coach coming from a largely backward league with only Mainz experience under his belt"?

Would Pep still have been impressed by the meeting to the same extent if it was later revealed that Benjamin Weber really had done all the work on the pitch?

And was it really something Klopp, Enrique, de Zerbi, Emery, Arteta, ten Hag, Inzaghi, Alonso, S. Hoeness, Favre or even Manuel Baum couldn't have discussed with Pep at any better level?

And pretty sure the meeting was planned and agreed upon in advance. Who's to say that he didn't have Benjamin Weber prepare him for it to impress Pep and wasn't just parroting Weber's words? Who's to say he didn't lie about reading books about Pep? Either he did and is too stupid to understand his methods to apply them to the current Bayern side, or he was lying and didn't read anything at all.

Pretty sure all Bayern fans here agree with me on Tuchel being a fraud. It's pretty telling that, out of everyone who knows any German, I could count the ones who still think he's a decent coach on one hand and still have fingers left over. @Zehner, @do.ob, @stefan92, and that's it. None of them are Bayern fans.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The best argument for Tuchel actually not being a fraud would be that Bayern players lack discipline. They just sacked the team manager Kathleen Krüger for daring to call out the players from being late, and three players (Goretzka, Davies and Gnabry) were partying just after the Leipzig win until 4 AM. Normally that wouldn't be too bad, but during a crisis, you can only get out of it by working harder.

As for the Freiburg draw, Tuchel even pointed out that he'd talked in a video meeting about defending against Freiburg, and complained about his players not understanding his instructions despite "clearly communicating them". He didn't really seem to single out Kimmich in the press conference though as the article suggests, but how did he actually communicate? Was he lying and actually didn't analyze Freiburg at all? Was the content of the video analysis good enough? Were the problems Freiburg would pose addressed well? If so, were they actually communicated clearly enough that Kimmich, Tel, Goretzka and others could understand them? He tends to use big words in interviews, so did that get in the way?

Why did he sub Musiala out? Did he think he was too tired and was trying to save him for the far more important CL game even if it cost the Freiburg game, or even fearing an injury given everything going wrong? Or was it the result of his antiquated understanding of football, sacrificing the midfield for an extra defender in the dying minutes?

Why did he sub Guerreiro for Davies like-for-like instead of subbing out Goretzka for Davies to move Guerreiro into the midfield? Didn't he think of it, or did he believe he was having an off day and wouldn't help in the mid anyway? Or was he thinking of the CL game and wanted to rest Guerreiro (who recently played a lot despite his injury proneness) and ease Davies into it?

Even if his subs all had to do with Lazio in mind, and his Freiburg prep was actually on-point, what did he really expect from blurting out Kimmich would play as RB in the pre-match presser all the while admitting Freiburg is a tactically extremely clever team? That Streich wouldn't exploit Kimmich's lack of pace ruthlessly? If he didn't give it away, for all we know, Freiburg would have a harder time preparing for Bayern, and Tuchel's talks would have worked, with the right side not being put under so much pressure!

Tuchel apologists on German/Bayern forums tend to argue that Thiago and Pep carried Kimmich, and Flick's COVID season got the best out of Goretzka. The two are seen as too lacking in technique, discipline and/or football IQ, or at least too spoiled from all the German NT/CL winner hype. There's definitely some grain of truth there, but Nagelsmann still did far better with the same players even without a striker. Even if all Kimmich and Goretzka are good for is high pressing and "Leipzig ball", why did Tuchel abandon that and moved on to something they're incapable of?

Why did he want Palhinha? The idea was that Kimmich was more of a "no 8" than a "no 6", which would mean that a "holding 6" like Palhinha would free him up to do what he's best at, but would that actually help the team? The problem is everyone knows how to play against Bayern, and knew even at the start of the season: press or mark the technician (Kimmich or Pavlovic) out of the game, leaving Goretzka to helplessly attempt to build up half the time and do nothing the other half. Palhinha wouldn't be able to step up at all. Did Tuchel neglect the real problems of the team, or did he just think Palhinha's actually a solid passer with decent enough build up?

He had lots of time to train passing drills, rondos and movement. Why does Bayern players look undertrained and are injured often despite that? His public trainings definitely look pretty basic compared to Pep's, Klopp's or Alonso's. Are his secret training sessions much better? He often brings up how well the training sessions go. Is he just lying? Even if he's not, is it more about the energy and intensity in them, or are the training methods actually good but the players somehow have a mental block about executing them? Some players like Pavlovic, Dier and Guerreiro tend to be on his side and three of the best performers currently. They're trying things and succeeding more often than not, but most players aren't even putting the supposedly advanced training methods into practice. Two BILD journos stated that his training was too sophisticated for the players to understand one month ago, rather than the opposite even though it definitely looks like that from the outside. And even someone as smart, opinionated, suffer-no-fools-gladly as Müller doesn't contradict Tuchel or criticize his approach (at least openly), even though he had no problem rebelling against Kovac and Ancelotti's negligence. He and Tuchel also seem to get along well. Does Müller actually rate Tuchel's training and tactics highly, or did he become more laid-back with age and passing of his prime? Or does he just criticize him behind closed doors?

Is his way of working in Bayern actually better than given credit for, or is it just as bad as it looks? No journalist discovered any vocal criticisms of his tactics or approach in any case. You'd think if he was so incompetent and underqualified, an odd scathing comment from intelligent, opinionated guys like de Ligt or Müller would have leaked out, but it's also far from implausible that they're such consummate professionals that they still respect their coach, or he's so charismatic that he managed to charm even them into believing in him.

Last edited:

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Pretty decent match day in terms of goal quality. Adeyemi channeling his inner Robben, Tel and Olmo with great long range goals, Musiala with a great solo effort (with Freiburg on the receiving end again).

On a side not, how fecked up that even with Prime, Sky and DAZN subscriptions, you can't watch the highlights of Friday's match before Monday :houllier: Seriously, who subscribes to Welt just to watch the highlights of Friday matches?

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
It's really crazy how the gap between the top three and the rest of the league opened up. Leverkusen of course is still unbeaten and having one of the best BL seasons ever, Bayern is the best ever second placed team and Stuttgart the best ever third placed team at this point of the season. They have even more points than in the season they won the league (2006/07)! And nice little detail: Every team with as many points as Stuttgart after 24 matches got into top four at the end of the season, so Stuttgart's return into the CL looks safer every day.

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
Congratulations @Zehner

Rummenigge: "Everyone [in Germany] is celebrating now because they've been trying for 11 years, but couldn't win the title. Now Leverkusen will probably win it and they would deserve it because they're playing not only successful but also attractive football. If Bayer Leverkusen end up winning the title, I think that wouldn't be dramatic for FC Bayern