German football is turd

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
It just can’t feel good. Tripping over the line because of the complete ineptitude of the second best team in the country.

Obviously, a title is a title, but this one has been won in the worst possible way. It’s a massive blow for the Bundesliga too. It’s hard to imagine any international fans investing in the league in its current form.

This season has exposed what we already knew, but there is no hiding how much change is needed anymore.
ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?!

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
I just don't get why people call it a dead league. Yes, it definitely is an issue that Bayern always win the title, but there is so much nore ongoing than just the title race. And there has been a lot of life in the CL, EL and relegation race this season.
A lot of the other “excitement” is because of how badly the other big teams are run. Something needs to change.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?!
I want to be! There are a lot of great historical clubs there, but Dortmund were embarrassing in this run in, and even more so today. It’s funny, but there is definitely a sadness to it.

Irwin99

That title winning goal-while great skill from the lad- was hideous defending from one of the FC Koln defenders. He literally just stood there when he could have got closer and engaged the player.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Bottom line is next season Bayern will have sorted their shit together and won the league in February, back to normal programming of the last 10 years

Bayern have been the most stable big club in Europe for the past like 50 years, and with the current economics that stability isn't going away, no matter if they put a bunch of literal clowns in charge. So if their rivals can't even beat them the one time they falter, a very unlikely event, what's even the point of that league? It's just dispiriting to watch

Ligue1, which on paper should be even more one-sided a league than the Bundes, had 3 different winners in the last 7 years ffs

Bole Top

such a weird league. I get it when this happens in Romania, Croatia or Serbia, where you have no hope catching a club from the capital which is often the biggest and richest city, and you're basically a village. but there's simply no reason to have sooooo many brutally incompetent clubs in Germany and I'm not talking about Dortmund. bottling is normal. it's embarrassing, but it's normal. but half of these clubs aren't growing at all and are always skint. seriously, what's the point then?

C'est Moi Cantona

Read this morning that Dortmund had been setting up for a victory parade all week, they must be gutted.

For the sake of interest in the league going forward it's a shame Dortmund didn't get the third goal, if Hummels had only ducked out the way of the Rues freekick they would have done it aswell.

Noot

Supports
Manchester City
I've always quite liked Dortmund, so I really can't explain the morbid fascination I felt watching events unfold today. When the penalty was saved you just knew how the day would end.

Feel bad for Sule especially who scored a really fantastic goal at just the worst imaginable time.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
German clubs won 2 european trophies in the last 3 years, we reached the semifinal of the Europea League this season. Thats enough "international competitiveness" for me, not everyone can be the Premier League with their sheikh owners.
One of them was Bayern, they won it in the Corona year, and the other club was completely outclassed against Napoli. Moreover, you chose the most flattering time period for the Bundesliga.

wangyu

I don’t understand this way of thinking, this has been a thrilling turnaround imo. I think it is great for the Bundesliga that it stayed competitive until the last minute. Bayern is still a great team, they nearly scored 100 goals in 34 games, Dortmund upped their game and almost got rewarded.

Bundesliga last 11 year: 11 titles Bayern
Premier League: City won 7 in 11 seasons, Chelsea 2, Utd 1 and Leicester 1
Ligue 1: PSG won 9 in 11 seasons
La Liga: Barca 6 titles in 11 seasons, Real 3 and Atletico 2
Serie A: juve 8 in 11 seasons, Inter, Milan and Napoli 1
Portugal: 6 titles for Benfica, 4 for Porto and 1 for Sporting
Eredivsie: 6 titles for Ajax, 3 PSV and 2 feyenoord

So as you can see all the big leagues have 1 ultra dominant team

dcrompton

I don’t understand this way of thinking, this has been a thrilling turnaround imo. I think it is great for the Bundesliga that it stayed competitive until the last minute. Bayern is still a great team, they nearly scored 100 goals in 34 games, Dortmund upped their game and almost got rewarded.

Bundesliga last 11 year: 11 titles Bayern
Premier League: City won 7 in 11 seasons, Chelsea 2, Utd 1 and Leicester 1
Ligue 1: PSG won 9 in 11 seasons
La Liga: Barca 6 titles in 11 seasons, Real 3 and Atletico 2
Serie A: juve 8 in 11 seasons, Inter, Milan and Napoli 1
Portugal: 6 titles for Benfica, 4 for Porto and 1 for Sporting
Eredivsie: 6 titles for Ajax, 3 PSV and 2 feyenoord

So as you can see all the big leagues have 1 ultra dominant team
No Liverpool title? Was that just a nightmare I had then?

ForEverEleven

Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
One of them was Bayern, they won it in the Corona year, and the other club was completely outclassed against Napoli. Moreover, you chose the most flattering time period for the Bundesliga.
Whats your ambition then? Dominating Europe and winning titles left, right and center? We are the third or maybe fourth best league in europe and thats totally fine. All this crying about the rich Premier League and ways to compete with clubs that are financed by whole countries is pathetic.

Pintu

Napoli broke a few records in Itlay this year and outclassed Liverpool in the CL… Not sure how losing to them is supposed to downplay Eintracht winning the EL after knocking out Barcelona, among other richer teams(than them), they faced along the way… Not to forget Frankfort played with 10 men for half the game.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Whats your ambition then? Dominating Europe and winning titles left, right and center? We are the third or maybe fourth best league in europe and thats totally fine. All this crying about the rich Premier League and ways to compete with clubs that are financed by whole countries is pathetic.
We're the third or maybe fourth best league in Europe almost exclusively because of Bayern's international performances who have just won the league eleven times in a row. We've gotten to a stage at which Bayern even wins the league when struggling heavily. We can pretend that a league is not about who wins the title and we can pretend that international competitiveness isn't important or we could just admit that something is wrong.

I mean, if we're not interested in keeping up with the investor backed leagues anyway, then at least work towards making our domestic league exciting again. Right now, the Bundesliga is the football equivalent of a once great TV show that's 3-4 seasons after it's peak and only repeats itself over and over again.

Eddy_JukeZ

Maybe change the title to just 'football is turd'.

A lot of the historically dominant top teams have probably never been weaker as a collective.

Unfortunately only City are at the top of their game. Barcelona, Real, Bayern, United, Liverpool, etc. all far off their best this season. Even Milan/Inter making the CL semis is an indictment on the general decline of top teams. Both those sides are nowhere near their best neither.

NoLogo

What is actually the funniest about all that is that Bayern is sacking their people in charge of building that team, while Dortmund are the ones who should finally sack Kehl et al. They have for years now build cowardly, mentally weak squads, and it's not improving, If I was a Dortmund fan I would fecking demand the people in charge of building that team be thrown out of my club.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Napoli broke a few records in Itlay this year and outclassed Liverpool in the CL… Not sure how losing to them is supposed to downplay Eintracht winning the EL after knocking out Barcelona, among other richer teams(than them), they faced along the way… Not to forget Frankfort played with 10 men for half the game.
I don't know how much Bundesliga you watch but the way Napoli dominated Frankfurt was just typical. The reigning EL champion played like an absolute underdog. Most Bundesliga teams have no clue what to do in possession when they can't play vertically. No team in the Bundesliga except for Bayern and maybe Dortmund would even attempt to play that way because they don't have the ambition to assume the role of the favourite, they all just want to press/sit back and score on the counter.

And Napoli played a terrible Liverpool side that will finish outside of the top 4 and was in even worse condition at the time of their match ups.

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
While Eintracht Frankfurt winning the Europa League last year was great, the fact that it was the first time that a Bundesliga club won the competition (or any Bundesliga club excluding Bayern had won any European competition) for a whopping 25 years since 1997 didn't reflect that well on the league.

Between 1997 and 2022, the only German finalists in the competition were Dortmund in 2001/2002 (Champions League dropouts after finishing 3rd in their group behind Boavista), and Werder Bremen in 2008/2009 (Champions League dropouts after finishing 3rd in their group behind Panathinaikos).

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
While Eintracht Frankfurt winning the Europa League last year was great, the fact that it was the first time that a Bundesliga club won the competition (or any Bundesliga club excluding Bayern had won any European competition) for a whopping 25 years since 1997 didn't reflect that well on the league.

Between 1997 and 2022, the only German finalists in the competition were Dortmund in 2001/2002 (Champions League dropouts after finishing 3rd in their group behind Boavista), and Werder Bremen in 2008/2009 (Champions League dropouts after finishing 3rd in their group behind Panathinaikos).
You are absolutely right and that's exactly why I think it's good for the international competitiveness of the league that lots of traditionally big clubs are in decline that didn't seem to care about the EL. Just throwing it away to focus on the league and to qualify for the CL.

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
Ligue1, which on paper should be even more one-sided a league than the Bundes, had 3 different winners in the last 7 years ffs
That's because PSG are so terrible at management if PSG had the management of Bayern plus that wide financial advantage, they will win 20 in a row

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
That title winning goal-while great skill from the lad- was hideous defending from one of the FC Koln defenders. He literally just stood there when he could have got closer and engaged the player.
This type of defending happens every week in the EPL
12months ago it used to be see the type of defence Haaland gets to face, he will struggle with real defenders in the EPL

NYAS

That's because PSG are so terrible at management if PSG had the management of Bayern plus that wide financial advantage, they will win 20 in a row
Yeah Bayern are so good at management, that’s why they sacked their CEO and sporting director.

Irwin99

This type of defending happens every week in the EPL
12months ago it used to be see the type of defence Haaland gets to face, he will struggle with real defenders in the EPL
Well, yeah, as a United fan i obviously watched Lindelof last season do that all the time (although never quite THAT bad) but i'm amazed at how so few people are commenting on it. It's criminal defending that's decided a title.

I don't know who the defender is but anyone go and watch that goal, the defender in the centre couldn't be less arsed if he tried :lol:

NYAS

It used to be true for quite some time.
I mean, Brazzo was there for the last 6 years, and the conversation is about 11 league titles in a row. So are we only talking about 5 years of “better than PSG management”? FC Hollywood is not a term that was only created yesterday.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Well, yeah, as a United fan i obviously watched Lindelof last season do that all the time (although never quite THAT bad) but i'm amazed at how so few people are commenting on it. It's criminal defending that's decided a title.

I don't know who the defender is but anyone go and watch that goal, the defender in the centre couldn't be less arsed if he tried :lol:
It shouldn't have mattered, if Dortmund showed a minimum of competence and solved their must win. That's rightfully the bigger story.

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
Yeah Bayern are so good at management, that’s why they sacked their CEO and sporting director.
They had someone over them who could put their toes to the fire if they don't perform
They were fired despite winning the league

How many seasons did Woodward get rewarded for nothing?

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
I mean, Brazzo was there for the last 6 years, and the conversation is about 11 league titles in a row. So are we only talking about 5 years of “better than PSG management”? FC Hollywood is not a term that was only created yesterday.
Much more, because before those 5 years the club had to be excellently managed to get into the position to do this run. Don't forget that this 11 season run followed/overlapped their run of 3 CL finals in 4 years. And yes, Brazzo has been there for 6 years, but his status and responsibility increased slowly over time and arguably the squad planning got worse accordingly. Kahn/Brazzo just didn't live up to the standard Rummenige/Hoeneß set.

So the period of truly excellent management started earlier (but years after the original "FC Hollywood" days) and only deteriorated slowly, not the day Brazzo started.

NYAS

They had someone over them who could put their toes to the fire if they don't perform
They were fired despite winning the league

How many seasons did Woodward get rewarded for nothing?
:lol: Why are you talking about Woodward? I thought we were talking about PSG?

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich

The defending for that Aguero moment by QPR was less than stellar. The QPR defender was hardly trying

Last season how Gundogan was finding himself unmarked twice at the backpost twice for Villa to lose a 2 goal lead with 15mins to go conceding 3. The Villa defender were getting beat by the same backpost move, I don't know if they were arsed if they tried

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
PSG was equally as bad as Woodward when you see the mess Leonardo and Khalefi do regularly

Neymar and Mbappe literally ran the club anyhow they wanted

NYAS

Much more, because before those 5 years the club had to be excellently managed to get into the position to do this run. Don't forget that this 11 season run followed/overlapped their run of 3 CL finals in 4 years. And yes, Brazzo has been there for 6 years, but his status and responsibility increased slowly over time and arguably the squad planning got worse accordingly. Kahn/Brazzo just didn't live up to the standard Rummenige/Hoeneß set.

So the period of truly excellent management started earlier (but years after the original "FC Hollywood" days) and only deteriorated slowly, not the day Brazzo started.
There was absolutely a time when Bayern were run excellently, but it was hardly the difference between them winning 11 in a row and PSG losing 3 titles in the Qatar era. That’s my point.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Woodward is a great example of someone even worse then PSG's board and still not being fired. While PSG surely isn't an example for excellent management, they neither are one for terrible management.

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
Woodward is a great example of someone even worse then PSG's board and still not being fired. While PSG surely isn't an example for excellent management, they neither are one for terrible management.
Iirc if not for the ESL fiasco, Woodward will still be running Man Utd till now. The super league forced him out

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
There was absolutely a time when Bayern were run excellently, but it was hardly the difference between them winning 11 in a row and PSG losing 3 titles in the Qatar era. That’s my point.
Bayern had excellent management for most of it

The running joke currently us that Mbappe is the sporting director and picks who plays and who gets benched, a few years ago it was Neymar

Almost everyone who left psg from Thiago Silva to Tuchel had unflattering things to say about the management

Psg with Bayern management will win the ligue 1 for 20 seasons and probably 2 CL

Heck similar oil club City is winning 5 of 6 EPL, and playing 2 in 3 CL finals. That is to show what PSG can do with Bayern level organization

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Missing the point. This isn't about who is mismanaged or what

This is about Lille not pissing the league away from a position of controlling their own destiny, vs Dortmund letting relegation fodder come back from 2 goals down with 10 men(!!!!) and failing to beat 9th placed Mainz at home, while missing a penalty

Monaco caught lightning in a bottle so I won't throw shade at dortmund/leipzig for not doing the same - even though they have the same model and more resources...