Germany at World Cup 2014

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I'd probably put Germany 3rd in the "most impressive looking team at the tournament so far" category... Columbia just behind them in 4th, France 2nd and Netherlands 1st.
For me Germany are the most impressive team by some distance, I’m positively surprised by teams in order: Mexico, Netherlands, France.

slig

Leave Klopp alone!!!
Supports
BVB 09
Never??

The efficient but tough to watch hardworking Germans are a thing of the past. You have actually literally NEVER been impressed by the style of that German team?

In 2010 you didn't think the style in the 4-0 vs Australia, 4-1 vs England or the 4-0 vs Argentina were good? Between that WC and the Euros, did you see the 3-0 against the Netherlands or the 3-2 against Brazil? You weren't impressed by the attacking flair in the 2-1 win over the Netherlands at the last Euros? Or the freeflowing attack in the 4-2 vs Greece? I find it quite the ridiculous statement to say that the style of this German team doesn't look good and never has.

exactly.

i hated to watch our team in the past (90´s till 2004) . our lack of style football was hard to watch.
but now, since years, they try to play real modern offensive football. and we´ve got players who are the best players germany ever has. compared to them the players in the past got only one leg.

Lothar

Germany has looked the most impressive by far. The Dutch and Italians played a good game but those scorelines could have been a lot different on another day. Germany looked like they'd put at least 3 past Portugal 9/10 times. Never really in danger.

With one of Russia, Beligum or S Korea waiting in the final 16, and then at best France in the quarters makes a German semi final more than likely. From there on it's a matter of beating Brazil/Spain for the final.

In the other arm Italy, Netherland and Argentina will battle it out for the last final spot. This should be a good cup.

Reactions: Eboue

CLARiiON

Mes que un Gloryhunter
Supports
Barcelona
I am entitled to like something of my choice, rather than follow you. You like their style, good. They are a very good team, but I don't get excited or a thrill watching them. Though Ozil (in form) makes it easier on the eyes. A guy like Reus would have definitely helped.

Lagger

Supports
FC Bayern
I am entitled to like something of my choice, rather than follow you. You like their style, good. They are a very good team, but I don't get excited or a thrill watching them. Though Ozil (in form) makes it easier on the eyes. A guy like Reus would have definitely helped.
No, he wouldn't have. Haters gonna hate, always. Why do you pretend? :P

MikeMango

Since the group draw people with little knowledge of that Ghana team have simply assumed that they're weak. Best African team for me, or second best at worst after Ivory Coast.

I'm not sure if you watched the USA Ghana game but don't let the scoreline mislead you. The USA scored after 30 seconds and after a corner 3 minutes before the final whistle. Between those 2 goals Ghana were looking very good and deservedly got the equalizer. They've got a very pacy and athletic team and a surprisingly great understanding and passing game for an African side. Against the USA I felt it was only their finishing and their right CB Boye that let them down. Aside of that they basically pushed the USA back for the full 90 minutes and were obviously gutted when they lost.

They will see the next game as the last chance to get out of the group, it's do or die for them, and I'm sure that they will play with a lot of intensity.

I don't think your suggestion of Ghana playing solely defensive really works because Ghana's strength are clearly in their offensive department. Think back to the game between Ghana and Germany in 2010. That was a very even game, only a wonder strike by Özil from outside the box got Germany the win back then. It could've really went either way.
I saw them in two friendlies before the world cup and against the US.
I was not impressed. Portugal and the "US Boys" are stronger imo. I don't know why that means that I have little knowlege about Ghana ?

Especially when it comes to scoring goals Ghana is weak. They may be pacy and athletic but they rarely convert that into good result against top sides.

And I also never said that Ghana will use a "solely" defensive approach. But as I said before they are not that big of a goal threat and also not a really good counter attacking team, from what I saw. They will certainly sit back and try to hit us on the counter and defend more compact than Portugal. Thats what I meant. So a slightly more offensive approach from germany would be appropriate.

RooneyLegend

Germany aren't winning this tournament. As usual they start impressively but at some point they'll be put in their place by another big nation. While germany has all the players to do it, they don't have the coach to get it done.

Tillo

Germany aren't winning this tournament. As usual they start impressively but at some point they'll be put in their place by another big nation. While germany has all the players to do it, they don't have the coach to get it done.
[denial] That's not what's gonna happen! [/denial]

Damn.

Wayne Van Persic

Who will will the tournament in your opinion?

Blackwidow

Starting formation in the first World Cup match 2006/2010/2014

2006 - formation: 4-4-2
Lehmann
Friedrich, Mertesacker, Metzelder, Lahm

Schneider, Frings, Ballack, Schweinsteiger
Klose, Podolski

2010 - formation: 4-2-3-1

Neuer
Lahm, Mertesacker, Friedrich, Badstuber

Khedira, Schweinsteiger
Müller, Özil, Podolski
Klose

2014 - formation: 4-3-3
Neuer
Boateng, Mertesacker, Hummels, Höwedes

Lahm, Khedira, T. Kroos
Özil, Müller, Götze

bench: Podolski, Klose, Schweinsteiger

ThaReaper01

Neuer
Lahm Merte Hummels Gross/Durm
Kroos Schwein
Drax/Schurrle Ozil Gotze
Muller
That should be their XI, IMO. 4 center halves is unnecessary and Lahm isn't a midfielder. Khedira in inferior to both Kroos and Schweini so he can have a seat, and Draxler or Schurrle would inject some pace on that wing in contrast to Gotze on the other. They played much better in a 4-2-3-1 tonight than the 4-3-3 and that should be their formation going forward.

Zen

Really missing Reus....and instead of replacing him with Schurrle....changed the system, baffling. The 4 CB's on top of that really isn't helping. Lahm needs to return to FB, but he's stubborn Mr. Low.

Nearly similar with Argentina too. Lavezzi makes them look so much more dangerous.

maze

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
did anyone see any genuine wing play from germany, like at all? you know, with the full backs and whatnot. i can't really come up with anything bar very very few scenes.. which kinda annoys me. playing through the middle while having both özil and götze on the pitch seems like a great idea on paper, but it hasn't really worked out so far to a significant extent.

still, it seems like löw will now stubbornly stick to the "portugal" formation for the time being, he has neither given their only actual LB erik durm any WC minutes when leading 4-0 against portugal, nor when struggling against ghana - at least the former would have totally made sense to me, in case one may consider playing actual full backs from time to time...argh.

Last edited:

PedroMendez

Acolyte
Neuer
Lahm Merte Hummels Gross/Durm
Kroos Schwein
Drax/Schurrle Ozil Gotze
Muller
That should be their XI, IMO. 4 center halves is unnecessary and Lahm isn't a midfielder. Khedira in inferior to both Kroos and Schweini so he can have a seat, and Draxler or Schurrle would inject some pace on that wing in contrast to Gotze on the other. They played much better in a 4-2-3-1 tonight than the 4-3-3 and that should be their formation going forward.
this lineup is dreadful. We saw that way to often. Kroos + Schweinsteiger as 2 men midfield is very average and allows the opponent to run at the back4 all game long. It works against bad sides, but we would go out against the first solid team.

Lahm had a bad game; shit happens. He is still very important for the german team as DM. Boateng is a good right back. There is very little difference between him and Großkreutz. I dont get why Löw used Mustafi as RB. He offers absolutely nothing, what Großkreutz cant do. Höwedes as LB is terrible. Dunno what Löw thought after the first game. We got away with it and there was the perfect opportunity to use Durm. We had no pressure after winning the first match.
Özil had a decent game, but he was falling off in the end. Usually he should be subbed around 60-75minute and Schweinsteiger should start over Khedira.

Ghana played very well. They deserve some praise and earned the point. All in all a very entertaining game and a draw is no drama. If löw fix the very obvious problem regarding Höwedes, we could have a decent tourney; especially because there is no side without weaknesses left.

ThaReaper01

Lahm doesn't have the quickness to be a midfielder. Not at international level. Doesn't move the ball quick enough, doesn't see a pass quick enough. If you came up against a team that pressed, Khedira and Lahm both would be weak links. Fact is, you don't have good enough full backs to be playing him a shield. Boateng was OK in 2010 at left back but 2 actual fullbacks would benefit Germany much more considering how much of the ball they usually have.

maze

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
@ThaReaper01 : lahm is indeed a great midfielder who played most of last season as a holding/central midfielder for bayern, and very successfully so.

he had a very uninspiring match today though. also i'd rather see him as RB, in case that boateng is the first option to replace him there. which, as of now, seems to be the case. and it sucks to a degree, just as much as playing höwedes as their regular LB. i know they beat portugal 4-0, but all in all it was despite - not because of - playing two tall, defensive-minded CBs as full backs, who add literally nothing to the attacking department.

Ballache

Supports
Martial
Managers at times do my head in. Every man and his dog could see that Höwedes is a liability at lb. Khedira doesn't fit the whole possession system as he's not good enough with the ball and there was significant improvement when Schweiny came on. Just play:
-------------------Neuer---------------------
Boateng-Merte-Hummels-Durm
---------------Lahm-Bastian------------
-Özil-------------Kroos-------------Götze
--------------------Muller--------------------
And stop fecking about.

Drunken rant over.

Lyricist

did anyone see any genuine wing play from germany, like at all? you know, with the full backs and whatnot. i can't really come up with anything bar very very few scenes.. which kinda annoys me. playing through the middle while having both özil and götze on the pitch seems like a great idea on paper, but it hasn't really worked out so far to a significant extent.

still, it seems like löw will now stubbornly stick to the "portugal" formation for the time being, he has neither given their only actual LB erik durm any WC minutes when leading 4-0 against portugal, nor when struggling against ghana - at least the former would have totally made sense to me, in case one may consider playing actual full backs from time to time...argh.
I just critizised Löw in the matchday topic but come on, getting on Durm as a substitute in the 4-0 over Portugal wouldn't have made sense at all. Schweinsteiger should've come on as he's a big part of the team. Klose could've come on to help him get his record.

In the end Schürrle actually came on to exploit Portugal on the break and Schürrle eventually provided the assist to the 4th goal.
Podolski came on because he is Löw's lovechild and was apparently once again close to the starting eleven.
And Mustafi came on for the injured Hummels. The fact Mustafi has twice been the first defensive option off the bench is a complete joke though. Unproven player who was originally left out (so apparently behind Ginter/Großkreutz/Durm in the pecking order for CB/RB/LB). But now Mustafi once got subbed in for Hummels and once for Boateng. How that makes any sense when he used to be behind the other 3 substitutes in the pecking order I don't know.

Last edited:

maze

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I just critizised Löw in the matchday topic but come on, getting on Durm as a substitute in the 4-0 over Portugal wouldn't have made sense at all.
i meant that as in: he's not a regular and should/could have been given some world cup minutes, just for so-called "experience"... as he is the only actual LB they have. imho it would have been helpful, in case one may have to rely on him in further stages of the tournament

Sphaero

Struggling to explain his genius to the hoi polloi
Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I just critizised Löw in the matchday topic but come on, getting on Durm as a substitute in the 4-0 over Portugal wouldn't have made sense at all. Schweinsteiger should've come on as he's a big part of the team. Klose could've come on to help him get his record.

In the end Schürrle actually came on to exploit Portugal on the break and Schürrle eventually provided the assist to the 4th goal.
Podolski came on because he is Löw's lovechild and was apparently once again close to the starting eleven.
And Mustafi came on for the injured Hummels. The fact Mustafi has twice been the first offensive option off the bench is a complete joke though. Unproven player who was originally left out (so apparently behind Ginter/Großkreutz/Durm in the pecking order for CB/RB/LB). But now Mustafi once got subbed in for Hummels and once for Boateng. How that makes any sense when he used to be behind the other 3 substitutes in the pecking order I don't know.
Lets be honest here, nobody could make sense of that substitution. There were at least three better solutions Löw could have chosen in that situation:

1. Direct replacement: Großkreutz for Boateng. At this point I see little to no reason that the former came to Brazil. He has made the RB role his own the last season, offers more going forward and is better in the air and faster than Mustafi. If he is not even the back up option, then why is he there?

2. Durm as LB with Höwedes switching sides. This had the advantage that Höwedes would play in a role he is way more familiar with and thus better. Durm has good pace and synergy with Hummels and is after Lahm our strongest FB going forward thus granting us way more width than with Höwedes. The only case you could have made against Durm before the tournament was inexperience in the national dress. This reason went out of the window now with Löw choosing Mustafi over him.

3. Lahm as RB with Schweinsteiger playing the DM role. Lahm played a strong role as CM at Munich last season, but that does not make him the best choice for Germany. He was at best decent going into the WC and simply poor in both games in Brazil. Even against Portugal he had two big blunders, which could have cost us dearly. Meanwhile he is still by far the best FB we have.

Löw´s super idea of playing four CBs has two really great weaknesses. The first one is the lack of width, which did not hurt us much vs Portugal because they offered us space in the middle. Ghana played more organised and intelligent, closing down the center and thus weakening our offense. The second problem is lack of pace on the FB positions. Boateng can play there because he is good in that regard, but once he was off Ghana did not only cut us open from the left side but the other one aswell with their fast wingers. We are simply too immobile with that setup.

Ruht

There was barely any wing play from the fullbacks. Didn't see them pushing forward very often, the first time I remember it happening was just after Mustafi came on and he had a cross inside the penalty box. There might have been others but I don't remember right now. Can't expect wing play when they are all centre-backs, I'm guessing that is why Löw has instructed them not to push forward so often.

I really wish Durm got in a couple of minutes, it was clear as day that Höwedes was the weak link at LB and I reckon Durm would have done a much better job there.

Carter99

I just dont get Löw. If we keep playing like this we wont reach the Round of 16. Surely not as Groupleaders.

Höwedes and Mustafi have been exploited big time. Mustafi shouldnt see a minute of WC anymore. Höwedes was just run over by the guy on his side.

Boateng and Höwedes offer close to nothing to the offense. We cant play through the middle. Ghana knew it and packed the middle.
They pressed us high and thats when Lahm makes mistakes. He is used to having more time as the RB.

With Khedira likely out in the next game (shoudnt even play when fit) i would like to see this XI
Boateng will likely be out or not fit aswell.

Bring Lahm back to RB where he is World Class.

Put Durm in for Höwedes (likely wont happen with Löw that idiot)

Schweinsteiger for Khedira.

Okocha119

This game serves as a good example why a lot of Germans don't like Löw.

Once he had some success he likes to rest on it. He chose the right tactics against Portugal and was rightfully praised for this. But he obviously didn't see the flaws in that system, otherwise he wouldn't have played it against Ghana. In that game against Portugal they benefited a lot from that early penalty, which gave Germany more space than they normally would have had. Despite that, and Portugal missing one man for almost 2/3 of the match, they only managed to create about four or five chances from open play. That was due to a couple of factors. The first one of course are the very defensive fullbacks resulting in Germany very rarely applying any pressure over the wings. Höwedes is out of place as a left back. He doesn't have a left foot. He can't run behind the winger and put a cross into the box right away. Plus he lacks the speed. The way that was solved was by almost always having one of the four centre backs go forward while the other three stay behind. And while that may benefit the defense you have a lot of less options on the attack that way. Then there is the three man centre midfield. Of those three men only Kroos can be considered offensive, but only barely. While he does provide the passes, he is not known for making runs without the ball and creating space. So when Kroos has the ball, he most likely only has three options on the attack. That's too few against a team that is playing defensively and keeping 9+ men behind the ball. It was to be expected that Ghana would try to concentrate more on defending than on scoring goals. At least for the first part of the game. Still Löw decided to stick with his team from the first match, even though he probably knew that it would be very hard if Germany didn't score early.

Löw rarely admits mistakes or corrects those that he has made. The first half made it fairly obvious that the type of 4-3-3 that Germany was playing, which was focused on dominance in midfield, wouldn't work today, because Ghana deliberately gave up the midfield and concentrated on the defense. Germany was missing options on the attack. So what Löw should have done is switch to a 4-2-3-1, a system the team knows, in order to have alternatives going forward. He also had a chance to install a more offensive full back, when Boateng had to be switched out he easily could have replaced him with Lahm, who has had a hard time in central midfield so far, and switched in an attacking midfielder or Klose, if he has the power for 45 minutes. He didn't decide to change the system at all and stick with his original plan. So Germany continued to create barely anything and as it happens in football, all you need is two individual slip ups to go behind. What were they planning? For Ghana to get tired before Germany does?

To be honest, in restrosprect, I would have preferred if Germany had lost to Ghana. It would have applied bigger pressure to our coaches to not just rest on their success, which they sweared they wouldn't, but to keep up the tension and think about every match individually. Don't be afraid to face the mistakes you've made. Now the reports are mostly positive in a "Well, it can happen" kind of way. I like Löw, I sometimes just get the feeling that he needs some sense slapped into him. Still think we're gonna beat the US and go through. I trust the trainer team to have learned their lesson and not start with a 4-3-3 again if the US manages to not lose against Portugal, which will mean that they'll only need a draw and most definitely park the bus like they did against Ghana. Go Germany!

Reactions: Theon

Mali_Zeus

I think Low should give up on Lahm at midfield and on 4-3-3 too. Germany hasn't impressed me yesterday and if they go on like that I dont see them going all the way. Again..

If Germany doesnt win it, it will be surely an end for Low? I mean he's been a manager for 8 years now I think and no title, weather it is WC or EC. Sure semifinals are great but for a team of Germany's stature and with such great teams every major tournament it's surely not enough.

Okocha119

If Germany doesnt win it, it will be surely an end for Low? I mean he's been a manager for 8 years now I think and no title, weather it is WC or EC. Sure semifinals are great but for a team of Germany's stature and with such great teams every major tournament it's surely not enough.
That's what basically every German thinks, but Löw has a lot of support in the DFB. It's pretty much just Löw and friends. Some people in Germany call it the "Spätzle Connection". Rainer Adrion, a friend of Löw's, didn't manage to qualify for the European Championship with Germany's Under 21 squad in favor of the Czech Republic and Iceland, because he made some bad nominations. Still managed to hang on to his job, because he has the connections in the German FA. Löw has a contract until 2016 with an option for termination after the World Cup for both sides, but I don't think that'll happen as long as Germany performs normally, which means something between quarterfinals and final.

Mali_Zeus

That's what basically every German thinks, but Löw has a lot of support in the DFB. It's pretty much just Löw and friends. Some people in Germany call it the "Spätzle Connection". Rainer Adrion, a friend of Löw's, didn't manage to qualify for the European Championship with Germany's Under 21 squad in favor of the Czech Republic and Iceland, because he made some bad nominations. Still managed to hang on to his job, because he has the connections in the German FA. Löw has a contract until 2016 with an option for termination after the World Cup for both sides, but I don't think that'll happen as long as Germany performs normally, which means something between quarterfinals and final.
That's really bad, cause if Germany goes on like this, this generation will pass without a major trophy. Sure, young players just come along all the time and that's great for German football but it all goes to waste and all because of support in the DFB for a man who cant take the team to the trophy.
Surely there are other German managers who could take the team and possible take advantage of great players Germany has now?

Its all similar to Croatia, when we had Štimac as a coach, he was named cause he was a an opposition to alpha and omega of our football, Zdravko Mamić, just so he would stop fighting him and Štimac wanted that spot more than anything.. Luckily we got rid of him before the WC cause he's an idiot who doesnt know anything about managing teams and spent more time writing on facebook and giving interviews than making us play better.

Sure Its not that dramatic with Low but as I said if Germany fails in the semis or quarters this generation could possibly called a looser one... Always a favourite, never going all the way.

Maybe they will prove me wrong but I dont trust Low and he's kind of.. how to put it.. Strange.. :)

kolli

Germany has a tradition of having their worst game in the second game of the group stages.
Since 1994:
Game 1: W8 D2 L0 which equals 26 points
Game 2: W3 D4 L3 which equals 13 points
Game 3: W7 D1 L2 which equals 22 points

I agree with most points made in the last few posts, but let's not overreact, its's pretty typical for us

Watz

I'm not a fan of Löw but I feel that sometimes people are way too harsh on him because other than 2012 we didn't really underachieve under him. Secondly people in Germany sometimes take quarterfinals and semifinals for granted like it's nothing but it's actually not easy. I also don't like the reaction to the Ghana game tbh, calling it a "wakeup call" and so on, it's like people expect us to just walk through the tournament smashing every team. That is unrealistic und rarely ever happens.

Reactions: Theon

Blackwidow

Sure Its not that dramatic with Low but as I said if Germany fails in the semis or quarters this generation could possibly called a looser one... Always a favourite, never going all the way.

Maybe they will prove me wrong but I dont trust Low and he's kind of.. how to put it.. Strange.. :)
The generation that is praised so much ain't the Schweinsteiger and Lahm generation - Schweinsteiger, Lahm, Mertesacker and Podolski are the leftovers of the generation before. And how old are the others. The oldest of the ones that should be concerned are the ones born 88 or even 90. They are 24 or 25 and just came out of talent age...

I guess we can talk about this in Qatar in 2022 again...