Germany at World Cup 2014

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
You want to start resting players before advancing from the group stage is secured? Don't like the idea at all.
Since nobody, including Hummels, knows how bad his injury is right now, I'd say yes. Lahm - Boateng - Mertesacker - Durm/Höwedes is still a really solid defensive line and I'd hate to sacrifice Hummels for the rest of the tournament because he went into a match to early. We'll see what the next days bring, though. If it's nothing but a bruise, he should play.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
does anyone know if Mustafi is any better than Höwedes going forward? He played on the right at the end of the game, so he might be an option
Oh I forgot about him! That could keep Lahm in midfield when moving Boateng to LB.
I'm just looking for a way to get Höwedes out of the lineup while keeping Boateng on the pitch and Durm off of it.

Bazi

Supports
Bayern Munich
Since nobody, including Hummels, knows how bad his injury is right now, I'd say yes. Lahm - Boateng - Mertesacker - Durm/Höwedes is still a really solid defensive line and I'd hate to sacrifice Hummels for the rest of the tournament because he went into a match to early. We'll see what the next days bring, though. If it's nothing but a bruise, he should play.
Hummels already said it was nothing serious, didn't he?

MikeMango

does anyone know if Mustafi is any better than Höwedes going forward? He played on the right at the end of the game, so he might be an option
thought it was a weird choice :D
Why switch Boateng to IV and use Mustafi as RB ?
I would have liked to see Schweini subbed on.

Lahm---Merte---Boateng---Höwedes/Durm
---------------Schweini---------------
----Khedira-------------Kroos

My line up against Ghana. Rest Hummels and test Schweini.
Imo Ghana is the weakest team in our group and will set up more defensive then Portugal. So this slighlty more attacking line up makes sense. But in the end it depends on Schweinis fitness, I guess.

Carter99

I would rest Hummels for Ghana. We need him in the K.O. stages.

Ghana cant park the bus cause they basically need a win or atleast a Draw to have any chance of making it out of the group.

We will need players who can then catch them on the break. I like what Schürrle offers. I would play him and Götze on the wings. Özil in CAM. Lahm back to RB because Boateng needs to fil Hummels gap.

I think Portugal beats USA. They didnt look impressive. I think Portugal had a really bad day, Germany a really good one and they had some bad luck (Portugal) with the Pepe incident, Coentrao and Almeida off due to injury. They will bounce back.

If we beat Ghana and Portugal beats USA we are basically through as Group Leaders before the last match.

Given that scenario after the Ghana Game.

1. Germany 6 Pts +5/6 Goal Difference
2. USA 3 Pts -1 Goal Difference (lets say they lose 0:2 to Portugal or 1:3)
3. Portugal 3 Pts -2 Goal Difference
4. Ghana 0 Pts

That Goal difference is too much for Portugal against Ghana. We could then rest most of the Starters against USA. That would be perfect.

I would play like this against Ghana

--------------------------------------------Neuer-------------------------------------------------

----Lahm-------------Boateng------------------Mertesacker---------------------Durm(give the kid a chance)

-----------------------------Khedira(Schweinsteiger)---------------Kroos----------------------

---------Schürrle-----------------------------Özil------------------------Götze

---------------------------------------Müller-------------------------------------------

Last edited:
Reactions: SilentWitness

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
I really hope Löw doesn't start with signifcant changes to the team now. Yes, we probably could play a more attacking line-up against Ghana, but if the plan is to play the top nations later with a 433, then let's use the games against Ghana and the US to perfect that formation. It's not like yesterday's team doesn't have enough firepower to win against a deep sitting Ghana.

Durm instead of Höwedes or Lahm rightback and Schweinsteiger in midfield are nice little tweaks to give us more attacking options and would also allow Hummels to sit one game out to get back to 100% (with one of Höwedes or Boateng moving to centerback). A switch to a 4231 like Carter99 suggests above would change the roles of all players. There's really no need to do that and we wasted enough friendlies playing formations and tactics that are nowhere near as good as what we saw against Portugal.

red_7

@Lyricist already answered, but I just wanna add, that he is completely right. The penalty might have been a bid soft (though I agree with the call), but should have resulted in a red according to the rules. And if Pepe is stupid enough to do stuff like that he is the only one to blame.
Besides: Germany outplayed Portugal and would have won decisively with any ref. So now stop crying.
Why should I cry about a team I don't give a feck? I just don't want soft decisions at a WC like Fred's pen or this one (Götze was touched but has no reason to go down if doesn't want to) or seeing Pepe send of while Pogba isn't or the one yesterday from Ghana who definately had done more to be sent off than Pepe.

Ref's are once again bullshit at a WC and Fifa should go after perfomance at Referreing like they expect teams to qualify by performance only.

CLARiiON

Mes que un Gloryhunter
Supports
Barcelona
Germans never really impressed me, but that's just me. Their style never looks good IMO, no exception here. The hattrick Müller scored (penalty - shot deflected of keeper - 1m tap-in) looked to be most 'easy' hattrick imaginable. We will have to see their resolve once they get behind.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
Hummels already said it was nothing serious, didn't he?
From an interview with Spox:
"Ich habe einen Schlag in den Oberschenkel bekommen. Wie schwer es ist, kann ich noch nicht sagen. Es fühlt sich nicht so an, als würde die Verletzung die WM beenden. Vielleicht verpasst man mal ein Spiel oder auch nicht. Ich hoffe, es tut nur ein paar Tage weh und geht dann wieder."
"I've recieved a hit to my thigh. I can't say yet how grave it is. It doesn't feel like this injury could end the WC. Maybe you miss a game, maybe not. I hope it only hurts for a few days and will be fine afterwards."
http://www.spox.com/de/sport/fussba...g-portugal-auftaktsieg-4-0-angela-merkel.html

Of course it's nothing really serious, but if he's still in pain come saturday I'd prefer to take the safe route.

Carter99

I really hope Löw doesn't start with signifcant changes to the team now. Yes, we probably could play a more attacking line-up against Ghana, but if the plan is to play the top nations later with a 433, then let's use the games against Ghana and the US to perfect that formation. It's not like yesterday's team doesn't have enough firepower to win against a deep sitting Ghana.

Durm instead of Höwedes or Lahm rightback and Schweinsteiger in midfield are nice little tweaks to give us more attacking options and would also allow Hummels to sit one game out to get back to 100% (with one of Höwedes or Boateng moving to centerback). A switch to a 4231 like Carter99 suggests above would change the roles of all players. There's really no need to do that and we wasted enough friendlies playing formations and tactics that are nowhere near as good as what we saw against Portugal.

why would that change? We played basically a 4-2-3-1 against Portugal aswell :confused:

Yes Götze and Özil played at basically the same line as Müller but they changed it a lot and Müller often was upfront with Özil/Götze on the Wings and Kroos the playmaker behind them.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
what do you mean ?
The last four years were all about getting away from the reactive, counterattacking style in 2010. It was all about possession, beautiful play, short passing, countless comparisons to Spain. At no time did we build around defensive organisation. Yesterday was the exact opposite.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
why would that change? We played basically a 4-2-3-1 against Portugal aswell :confused:

Yes Götze and Özil played at basically the same line as Müller but they changed it a lot and Müller often was upfront with Özil/Götze on the Wings and Kroos the playmaker behind them.
We did what?

We played a straight forward 433 with a 1-2 CM, Lahm as a holding midfielder and infront of him a deep lying playmaker (Kroos) and a box to box midfielder (Khedira). Kroos controled the game way way deeper than Özil does as an AM in the 4231.

Spielverlagerung was spot on (as usual) with their formation picture:

That's the 4231 from the 2nd half of the last friendly ahead of the worldcup against Armenia.

MikeMango

Germans never really impressed me, but that's just me. Their style never looks good IMO, no exception here. The hattrick Müller scored (penalty - shot deflected of keeper - 1m tap-in) looked to be most 'easy' hattrick imaginable. We will have to see their resolve once they get behind.
isn't that a strength ?
If you have a way to score easy goals the chances for that to happen are much higher than if you have to take difficult shots.
The german team works perfectly as a unit most of the time and has a plan how they create their chances. They don't rely on one player and his individuell skills.

Carter99

Okay lets say we play 4-3-3 against Ghana. Why doesnt that allow some changes?

I would still put Durm and Schürrle in the lineup for more pace and tempo (probably needed against a deep lying Ghana)

PedroMendez

Acolyte
As long as Kroos starts as "#10" and Lahm as holding midfielder, everything is okay. I dont mind using Schweinsteiger instead of Khedira or Schürrle for Götze/Özil.

Durm instead of Höwedes would be the only change i really want to see against Ghana or the USA.

Anyway. For some reason, Löw used a completely different system; now I just hope, the he doesnt change it. If Hummels need to rest, just use Höwedes as CB and Durm as LB.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Müller's 2nd goal was a beauty. Not sure why you ignored that. The way he read the action of the Portuguese defender, blocked the clearance and then went on to score was nothing short of brilliance. Incredibly smart play that probably no attacking player other than him does on a regular basis in football at the moment.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Okay lets say we play 4-3-3 against Ghana. Why doesnt that allow some changes?

I would still put Durm and Schürrle in the lineup for more pace and tempo (probably needed against a deep lying Ghana)
Don't think we need pace against a deep sitting Ghana, we definitely can use the creativity of Götze and Özil there. And like I said above, I don't mind a few tweaks, especially with the fullbacks, as long as we keep that 1-2 CM and don't go back to the 4231.

Carter99

If you want to keep that 1-2 CM in the Ghana Game you can only have it if

1.) Hummels is fit and can and will play (so you dont need need to switch Boateng to CB which results in Lahm not making the switch to RB)
or
2.) Put someone like Kramer in. He is the only real CDM on the bench.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
If you want to keep that 1-2 CM in the Ghana Game you can only have it if

1.) Hummels is fit and can and will play (so you dont need need to switch Boateng to CB which results in Lahm not making the switch to RB)
or
2.) Put someone like Kramer in. He is the only real CDM on the bench.
Don't see anything wrong with Höwedes centerback and Durm leftback or like yesterday after Hummels left the pitch with Mustafi rightback or with Schweinsteiger as the holding midfielder and Lahm rightback. All possible without changes to the midfield formation, so that we keep Kroos and Khedira in their best roles.

PedroMendez

Acolyte
I am not sure about Schweinsteiger as holding midfielder. I really wouldnt try that, especially when he is not 100% fit. There are reasons, why he never really played this role for bayern.
With the current squad, Boateng has to play RB and 2 out of Mertesacker, Hummels, Höwedes and Mustafi should start as CBs.

Treble

Great game yesterday but I still think that Germany wont' make it beyond the 1/4 finals. Hopefully, I'm wrong though.

Ruht

Only a bruised thigh for Hummels. His participation in the Ghana match would depend on how the healing process is going.

Sphaero

Struggling to explain his genius to the hoi polloi
Supports
Borussia Dortmund
The last four years were all about getting away from the reactive, counterattacking style in 2010. It was all about possession, beautiful play, short passing, countless comparisons to Spain. At no time did we build around defensive organisation. Yesterday was the exact opposite.
It is what surprised and impressed me the most yesterday. Aside from his personality it was the direction Löw was taking the national team after the WC 2010, which worried and irritated me the most. We turned into a team, which cared more about looking spectacular and nice and tidy than actual success.

Yesterday was a return to the system of the time in South Africa and it was the best performance since the game vs. Argentina back then. Suddenly we looked like a well running unit with real structure and an actual game plan. It was a long time since we could claim that.

I did not think that the team had it in it to switch gears that much in such a short amount of time. Maybe we are still this tournament team and I underestimated that factor. I also probably underestimated Löw, who deserves credit for setting up the team that well. How much is down to him will be answered by how good Germany can keep up this level.

CLARiiON

Mes que un Gloryhunter
Supports
Barcelona
Müller's 2nd goal was a beauty. Not sure why you ignored that. The way he read the action of the Portuguese defender, blocked the clearance and then went on to score was nothing short of brilliance. Incredibly smart play that probably no attacking player other than him does on a regular basis in football at the moment.
Nope, I don't see it that way. IMO, that was just a poor clearance from Bruno Alves.

Lyricist

Imo Ghana is the weakest team in our group and will set up more defensive then Portugal.

Since the group draw people with little knowledge of that Ghana team have simply assumed that they're weak. Best African team for me, or second best at worst after Ivory Coast.

I'm not sure if you watched the USA Ghana game but don't let the scoreline mislead you. The USA scored after 30 seconds and after a corner 3 minutes before the final whistle. Between those 2 goals Ghana were looking very good and deservedly got the equalizer. They've got a very pacy and athletic team and a surprisingly great understanding and passing game for an African side. Against the USA I felt it was only their finishing and their right CB Boye that let them down. Aside of that they basically pushed the USA back for the full 90 minutes and were obviously gutted when they lost.

They will see the next game as the last chance to get out of the group, it's do or die for them, and I'm sure that they will play with a lot of intensity.

I don't think your suggestion of Ghana playing solely defensive really works because Ghana's strength are clearly in their offensive department. Think back to the game between Ghana and Germany in 2010. That was a very even game, only a wonder strike by Özil from outside the box got Germany the win back then. It could've really went either way.

breath

Ghana won't give Germany any trouble as 2010, their best defender is missing and their current ones are weak. Höwedes purpose in the team is to decrease chances of someone pulling a Puyol on rhem

gofelx

Supports
Hamburgers
Ghana won't give Germany any trouble as 2010, their best defender is missing and their current ones are weak. Höwedes purpose in the team is to decrease chances of someone pulling a Puyol on rhem
I would like to see Durm vs. Ghana, apart from that I really liked our line up. Maybe give Klose a chance in the second half if things are going well.
Though I wouldn't make the mistake and rotate the whole team around, that basically always hurts the team and gets them out of the rhythm.

Carter99

Hummels definitely needs to sit out the next one. No need to rush him back against Ghana.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I'm not sure if you watched the USA Ghana game but don't let the scoreline mislead you. The USA scored after 30 seconds and after a corner 3 minutes before the final whistle. Between those 2 goals Ghana were looking very good and deservedly got the equalizer. They've got a very pacy and athletic team and a surprisingly great understanding and passing game for an African side. Against the USA I felt it was only their finishing and their right CB Boye that let them down. Aside of that they basically pushed the USA back for the full 90 minutes and were obviously gutted when they lost. They will see the next game as the last chance to get out of the group, it's do or die for them, and I'm sure that they will play with a lot of intensity.

I don't think your suggestion of Ghana playing solely defensive really works because Ghana's strength are clearly in their offensive department. Think back to the game between Ghana and Germany in 2010. That was a very even game, only a wonder strike by Özil from outside the box got Germany the win back then. It could've really went either way.
Yes I agree with that. They have shown excellent athletism in game vs USA, I expect a very good game, Ghana miss the final ball but they are nice to watch. I also think Germany should line up exactly like against Portugal. Keep that midfield.

strongwalker

Supports
FC Bayern München
The goals Müller scores are so easy that no other worldclass striker scores them, people might laugh.

I'm actually old enough to have heard the same about another player named Müller.

Ronaldo knows converting 1 out of 30 attempts with a 25yd screamer sells jerseys and gets him laid with supermodels. Müller knows tapping 1 out of 5 in with whatever body part is available wins games.

Last edited:

Carter99

That penalty by Müller was worldclass. They showed the replay and he ONLY looked at the Goalkepper the whole time.

He did exactly know where the ball was and how to shoot it without even looking at it for a second.

Its not about the 1m tip ins or knee goals.

Müller is at the right spots at the right time. Most strikers are not.

Ruht

The goals Müller scores are so easy that no other worldclass striker scores them, people might laugh.

I'm actually old enough to have heard the same about another player named Müller.

Ronaldo knows converting 1 out of 30 attempts with a 25yd screamer sells jerseys and gets him laid with supermodels. Müller knows tapping 1 out of 5 in with whatever body part is available wins games.
Excellently put, couldn't have said it better myself.

Müller might look awful at times but he is always at the right spot at the right time. Very efficient player and few are like him.

Watz

You either have very very high standards or you like defensive football. What teams have a good style in your opinion?

LinkesAuge

Excellently put, couldn't have said it better myself.

Müller might look awful at times but he is always at the right spot at the right time. Very efficient player and few are like him.
And he is no diva but a hard working player so even if he has a bad day himself he will still always help the team unlike certain other players.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I'd probably put Germany 3rd in the "most impressive looking team at the tournament so far" category... Columbia just behind them in 4th, France 2nd and Netherlands 1st.

Carter99

I'd probably put Germany 3rd in the "most impressive looking team at the tournament so far" category... Columbia just behind them in 4th, France 2nd and Netherlands 1st.

France played the worst team by miles in the WC.
I wait for them to play Switzerland to make a proper rating.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
France played the worst team by miles in the WC.
I wait for them to play Switzerland to make a proper rating.
Who hacked and kicked and fouled them for 90 minutes - which is difficult to play against at the best of time, yet France still managed to play some really good stuff.

I bet if you asked France or Germany whether they would rather play that Portugal side w/10 men from Monday, or that Honduras side w/10 men... they'd probably go with Portugal.

Lyricist

Never??

The efficient but tough to watch hardworking Germans are a thing of the past. You have actually literally NEVER been impressed by the style of that German team?

In 2010 you didn't think the style in the 4-0 vs Australia, 4-1 vs England or the 4-0 vs Argentina were good? Between that WC and the Euros, did you see the 3-0 against the Netherlands or the 3-2 against Brazil? You weren't impressed by the attacking flair in the 2-1 win over the Netherlands at the last Euros? Or the freeflowing attack in the 4-2 vs Greece? I find it quite the ridiculous statement to say that the style of this German team doesn't look good and never has.