Germany at World Cup 2014

Sphaero

Struggling to explain his genius to the hoi polloi
Supports
Borussia Dortmund
What's wrong with Großkreutz? Obviously he's not the most natural defender but his running power and movement going forward would make such a difference - he destroyed us from RB at the Emirates last season.
At this point I really believe in Löw simply writing him off because of his escapades.

knack

Its really sad seeing such a great generation of german talent being almosted wasted by Low..

Inigo

Did I have understood Löw right in his interview just now? He considers just 14-15 players as viable as starters? That would logically leave out both Durm and Großkreutz and should erase any hopes of a tactical shift in the following game. It is also some weird thing to say publically because it reveals lacking trust in the rest of the squad.
I'm hoping for 74-style rebellion within the camp.

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
@Sphaero

That'd be annoying but at least understandable. Some of you Germans on here were backing the 4 CB tactic yesterday but it's clearly not working, especially with Özil/ Götze wide your attacks are so boring and easy to defend. So frustrating to watch wasted potential.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
The worst part is that it's pretty much what I expected and predicted...

steve9

I've never seen Mertesacker so angry :lol:
And he was so right. I hate these reporters with their smart ass questions. They don't really ask, they give an opinion and then they want a reaction from the player. It's actually provoking, not interviewing. I would love if they reacted more often like that..

Reddevilboy

Supports
Brexit
Germany is so lucky to have Neur as their goalkeeper. He is going to be the reason why they will win the World Cup.

knack

At this point I really believe in Löw simply writing him off because of his escapades.
What escapades ? Care to explain ?

I agree hes been pretty good whenever I have watched him . Really cant understand this 4cb at back thing. It really blunts your attack. And then he plays high line with 4 slow defenders. Absolutely baffling

steve9

I think we have got the proof tonight: The four CB idea might work against opponents who really want to attack. Against deep sitting teams it's just the wrong plan. Although, eventually we wore Algeria down. Pretty comfortably actually after minute 60.

What style will France play?

iBoss

i-ttack the space
Illuminati headquarters, chillin' with Jay Z.
Sometimes it's hard to understand coaches. With 2 centerbacks as makeshift fullbacks and Özil in wide positions there is no one making runs in behind except Müller. Even Götze gets drawn towards the ball rather than running off it. Coupled with such an undynamic midfield trio such as Lahm-Bastian-Kroos where no one takes defenders on or plays unexpected throughballs the team dynamics don't look right. Surely Löw must see this?
Maybe he felt Algeria would sit back like they did vs Belgium and there wouldn't be space to make runs in behind.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Joachim Loew has always struck me as a man who doesn't really know what he's doing at the best of times...

Probably a ridiculous assertion, but Germany always impress me when the personal capabilities of their players eventually shines through... probably argue that it's Loew's tactics that allow them to shine or something, but that's never the way I see it.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
And he was so right. I hate these reporters with their smart ass questions. They don't really ask, they give an opinion and then they want a reaction from the player. It's actually provoking, not interviewing. I would love if they reacted more often like that..
Come on. The reporter asked why they didn't play THAT good, yet Mertesacker acted like he got insulted.
Any player with a modicum of leadership in him should've said that it was indeed catastrophic and that they have to change a lot of things and play much better to advance further. We can't just keep repeating phrases such as "there are no weak opponents, we deserved the win in the end, Algeria fought well etc." like a mantra and expect something to change out of thin air.

gofelx

Supports
Hamburgers
Come on. The reporter asked why they didn't play THAT good, yet Mertesacker acted like he got insulted.
Any player with a modicum of leadership in him should've said that it was indeed catastrophic and that they have to change a lot of things and play much better to advance further. We can't just keep repeating phrases such as "there are no weak opponents, we deserved the win in the end, Algeria fought well etc." like a mantra and expect something to change out of thin air.
What do you expect after 120 minutes of a fight. The reporter asking when "we will see the beautiful football like in 2010 again?". I would be pissed as well, Algeria played exceptional tonight and gave everything they could. I'm happy that we advanced, of course it wasn't the prettiest games but you need to win these type of games in order to win the whole thing.

Sphaero

Struggling to explain his genius to the hoi polloi
Supports
Borussia Dortmund
To be fair that game against Armenia certainly didn't help...
Seriously? So 23 poor minutes and one blunder is enough to lose any shot of making the team. After his strong performance vs. Chile? Then why was Mustafi selected again after his terrible game vs. Ghana or Lahm as CM with his half dozen blunders throughout the first three games? I´m not buying that.

The worst part is that it's pretty much what I expected and predicted...
The sad and frustrating part is how glaringly obvious it is. Its not like you need to understand a huge deal about football to see the obvious flaws in Löw´s system. Höwedes and Mustafi should not start another game for Germany in this tournament based on performance, but I bet that at least the former will keep getting selected.

You can say about him what you want (and I know that he is a controversial character), but Hummels is really good at giving objective and self critical opinions after the game. There is a reason why he is the first one to speak to the press at Dortmund and also one of the first ones at the national team. You get at least the impression that he is not completely delusional and acknowledges mistakes. Sadly, this came to bite him in the ass more than once at the national team, which discourages leadership within the team.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
What do you expect after 120 minutes of a fight. The reporter asking when "we will see the beautiful football like in 2010 again?". I would be pissed as well, Algeria played exceptional tonight and gave everything they could. I'm happy that we advanced, of course it wasn't the prettiest games but you need to win these type of games in order to win the whole thing.
You also need to start playing decent football again to win the WC, because Algeria is not a top team. Pretending they are won't change that. What's the reporter supposed to do? Congratulate him, ask how he's doing and then go home? That's not what journalists are supposed to do.

I don't want to talk Algeria up too much. They played really well, as well as they can probably, but Germany also made it very easy for them to shine in the first half.

knack

Joachim Loew has always struck me as a man who doesn't really know what he's doing at the best of times...

Probably a ridiculous assertion, but Germany always impress me when the personal capabilities of their players eventually shines through... probably argue that it's Loew's tactics that allow them to shine or something, but that's never the way I see it.
Its not the way I see either .

For me if germany win the cup it would be inspite if him being the manager ( due to sheer quality in the squad ) rather than because of him .

Frasbul

everclear is a cool band. yeah they still exist.
Well.. that was embarrassing.

I really don't get Löw. It's all been said, why does Germany play with 4 central defenders? And why Mustafi for God's sake.
The only reason he is in the squad, is because Reus got injured. And now he is the first person to come in, if something goes wrong?
Talk about long term planning.
Also right now, Lahm sucks as a midfielder.. Germany would be so much better off, if Lahm went to RB and Khedira or Schweinsteiger played instead.

I am pretty sure that Germany will beat France though. They somehow always do.

gofelx

Supports
Hamburgers
You also need to start playing decent football again to win the WC, because Algeria is not a top team. Pretending they are won't change that. What's the reporter supposed to do? Congratulate him, ask how he's doing and then go home? That's not what journalists are supposed to do.

I don't want to talk Algeria up too much. They played really well, as well as they can probably, but Germany also made it very easy for them to shine in the first half.
The thing is it is pretty much impossible to play exciting football against a team that sits back with 5 at the back and constantly pressuring you in midfield.

We showed what we were capable of doing in the Portugal game which was kind of similar to the 2010 England and Argentina game. Fast counter attacking football. Unfortunately not all teams allow us to do that.

Look at Argentina/France/Brazil wo all struggled against these types of teams.

Friday will be a totally different game.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
You can say about him what you want (and I know that he is a controversial character), but Hummels is really good at giving objective and self critical opinions after the game. There is a reason why he is the first one to speak to the press at Dortmund and also one of the first ones at the national team. You get at least the impression that he is not completely delusional and acknowledges mistakes. Sadly, this came to bite him in the ass more than once at the national team, which discourages leadership within the team.
And that's not even the biggest reason why I missed Hummels. I can imagine what Robben would have said after such a team performa. He always had the decency to say how it is, not lie into his pocket.
It feels like Löw and his staff have created an atmosphere of complete delusion. No criticism is allowed, everything has to be streamlined and "decent". No matter how bad the performance, everything's perfectly alright in the end. The nail that sticks out gets hammered down.

Geofreak

Being interviewed after such a match is hard for most playersI think. Algeria showed so much passion and power in the game, can't blame germany not playing THAT good. Looking forward to Germany - France :D

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich

It's an assertion pretty much every German on the Caf shared, so maybe, just maybe it isn't that ridiculous ;). I'm kinda trying to delude myself that those 4 centerbacks make sense and will eventually work, because I can't enjoy the world cup if I'm constantly angry about it. Watching the games mostly drunk with friends at barbecues does help as well.

In the end, the players need to win the title despite the manager, almost every German football fan knew that before the world cup. They should be individually good enough to do it, so I still have hope, but they need to step up now in the upcoming games and Hummels needs to stop being injured or sick or whatever :mad:. He can't miss a single game from here on, same with Schweinsteiger. Neuer, Hummels, Schweinsteiger, Müller are a central axis that can make everything work even if the overall system fails. None of them should miss a game from here on now.

Alun

How can one cite 'inexperience' as a reason for Durm's lack of playing time? i mean Mustafi gets picked for the knocks outs when he's uncapped. Even worse Mustafi is being played out of position, in a place where we have already have the worlds best. Doesn't help that Mustafi has been utter rubbish every minute he's played. Yes I'm sad for him, but at the same time his injury is a blessing in disguise (phew). No one had even heard of Mustafi before this world cup whilst Durm had Robben and Bale in his pocket whilst playing like a seasoned veteran in the champions league. It was never an issue to field players of Durm's nature four years ago so why now? though i fear it's too late to start Durm so late into the tournament. Even Kevin Großkreutz would be okay in this position, yes he not world class but surely he's a better bet than what we currently have applying their trade on the wings. He's mr reliable and had a pretty solid season as Dortmund (as always), why the sudden hate for him. Certainly I'd prefer him over Howedes as a LB

Howedes once again, an abject failure. We all know he offers nothing offensively, I'd also say he offers minimal defensively as well. Sadly like everyone has said, Low will stick with him until the very end making every German put the pillow over their faces every time he's near the ball. Back on the subject of Mustafi, i really wanted him to play well.. however as soon as he put those 'crosses' into the keepers palms (what were they??) at the start of the match, my patience was short lived. Don't even get me started on that free header. Every pundit and pseudo analyst can see our big weakness is our fullbacks, why can't out coach? it's especially frustrating when we have the words best RB and a future star as replacements or players who should be starting.

There's no bite or tenacity in the midfield when Lahm/Basti and kroos all play together. Yes lots of nice tippy tappy passes and threatening movement outside the box but not much else. Our play leading up to the front 3 is slow and predictable. We need a workhorse there, someone he just looks like he oozes energy. Khedria and Kramer are fine options for this job and allow guys like Kroos to do what he does best. As soon as Lahm was shifted his proper position, the dangerous crosses starting coming in. He needs to play RB vs France end of. One thing i was happy with was the increase in long shots vs Algeria, too often i've seen this German team and Bayern for that matter pass up good opportunities to have a go from distance. When you have guys like Kroos in your team it's never a bad option, especially as it's one of his main strengths.

Also this set piece thing is stupid and never works. Ozil is a fantastic free kick taker, and has scored plenty for Real. His corners are always menacing as well, so when Kroos corners go off the boil (which they did today), why not allow him to step in and take some.

So many fantastic players in this squad, yet basically all of them are being asked to play out of position. I'm scared for France, they are playing with a lot confidence but at the same time i think we will make it because that's what we do.

I want this World Cup so badly...

Reactions: Eboue

MikeMango

It's an assertion pretty much every German on the Caf shared, so maybe, just maybe it isn't that ridiculous ;). I'm kinda trying to delude myself that those 4 centerbacks make sense and will eventually work, because I can't enjoy the world cup if I'm constantly angry about it. Watching the games mostly drunk with friends at barbecues does help as well.
the four centerbacks can work but not if they play that high up the pitch, like yesterday. Höwedes and Mustafi were cleary out of their depth. If Löw lets them play like that he needs to use Durm and Großkreutz or Lahm. At least they are quick and add something to our attacks.

Mustafi seems to be out for the rest of the world cup. If Hummels doesn't recover in the next days, Löw has no choice as to use Lahm oder Großkreutz as rb.
Schweini and Khedira showed that they are fit for 90 min. Especially Schweinis fitness was a pleasant surprise. So we could go for a Schweini, Kroos, Khedira midfield against France.

redevil2

Did he actually say that? He's losing it. What a great way to inspire your team.
Or it's a way to say to those fr the bench: you have to prove yourselves if you want to start. I think that's the German mentality. And the players know what to do methinks

Lagger

Supports
FC Bayern
@Sphaero

That'd be annoying but at least understandable. Some of you Germans on here were backing the 4 CB tactic yesterday but it's clearly not working, especially with Özil/ Götze wide your attacks are so boring and easy to defend. So frustrating to watch wasted potential.
Thing is, Großkreutz isn't the smartest egg in the basket on a good day. He's a risk factor and he tends to be overly aggressive. I'm not sure putting him into a game against a team you know will be digging their heels in and claw and bite for every inch is the best choice. Of course, in hindsight, he may have been a good choice for yesterday. But I fully expected a dirty game. And that's where Großkreutz is likely to get cards...

Inspire

Supports
Bayern Munich
Thing is, Großkreutz isn't the smartest egg in the basket on a good day. He's a risk factor and he tends to be overly aggressive. I'm not sure putting him into a game against a team you know will be digging their heels in and claw and bite for every inch is the best choice. Of course, in hindsight, he may have been a good choice for yesterday. But I fully expected a dirty game. And that's where Großkreutz is likely to get cards...
I would take Großkreutz definitly over Höwedes.
I also would prefer to play with 10 men instead 10+Höwedes.

Tillo

Did I have understood Löw right in his interview just now? He considers just 14-15 players as viable as starters? That would logically leave out both Durm and Großkreutz and should erase any hopes of a tactical shift in the following game. It is also some weird thing to say publically because it reveals lacking trust in the rest of the squad.
Yeah I was really shocked by that bit as well. Especially in comparison to their tantrum of "we have 22 players who can make a difference"- blabla.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Großkreutz might not be the smarted guy off the pitch, but he's got a great tactical understanding of the game and is very disciplined and I don't remember him ever being overly agressive or a risk to get sent off or concede stupid fouls. That guy has 20 yellow cards in more than 200 games for Dortmund, not a single red card. I've not the slightest idea how you came to your conclusion.

Essaux

In Per Mertesacker's defence, I'd also be pissed off at the reporter.

They have given their all for 120 minutes and advanced. Algeria player exceptionally well and as we have seen with any game in the round of 16, it can be anyone's to win.

At this point there are no easy breezing over teams left.

So for this reporter, who sat on his ass the whole game, watching and whining whilst the players gave their all, to come out with a question like that right after the game.... meh.. it just shows a lack of empathy and people skill.

For those saying a player needs to give an objective analysis etc. Sure the next day, but not right after the game while they are still pumping with adrenaline and are exhausted from the battle they just delivered.

NoLogo

Apart from the result there was so much wrong with our team yesterday I don't even know where to begin. From our lack of movement over our slow passing to our timid defending a lot has to change if we want to stand a chance against France.

slig

Leave Klopp alone!!!
Supports
BVB 09
Apart from the result there was so much wrong with our team yesterday I don't even know where to begin.
thats so true!
i think it would start with the coach. and would end there.
you can analyse and analyse, the conclusion will always be: the problem is löw and his totaly lack of coaching skillz.

OutlawGER

Supports
Bayern München, 1. FC Köln

http://www.zdf.de/ZDFmediathek#/beitrag/video/2187474/Müller-und-sein-bewusster-Stolperer
(2:11)

Müller interview after the game:

Journalist: "Last question Herr Müller: Oliver Kahn said he never saw a freekick like that. He was questioning himself if it was on purpose or not."
Müller: "Are you sending worldwide?"
Journalist: "We are sending in Germany.... at least"
Müller: "Ähhh okay. Yeah well, it almost worked :D ähhh... i don't know if we do it again, but i thought it was a good try, but yes it was on purpose, ähhh but let's see what happen in the next games."
Journalist: "Okay.... by the way we are sending worldwide."
Müller: "yeah sure :lol:"

Blackwidow

Actually - that thing was damn clever even if it was comedy pur as it did not work. But Müller like this had a sprinter start and really had speed. The Algerians only could have stopped him fouling in the box. He was not offside and he was through. And if Kroos would have made that relative easy loop it could he would have all the chances. Müller can take this balls - score them on his own or assisting for someone else.

Prufrock

Currently, half the squad plays more or less out of position. Just can't see this resulting in a title win.

I'd much prefer Lahm being returned to RB and Klose to start. He's not your typical substitute striker anyway, and when he gets tired he can be replaced by Schürrle. Similarily, when Khedira or Schweinsteiger run out of gas, Lahm can replace them in DM and Durm can be brought in. There has been a lot of hype about Lahm in the German media, he was made out to be some kind football whizzkid whose tactical genius allows him to excel in almost every position. Turns out, playing in an absolutely dominant Bayern side can make you seem more than you are. Lahm's not a worldclass DM and Germany doesn't have 2 dedicated, seasoned fullbacks to replace him, either.

I've also been dissappointed by Goetze, was hoping he would really announce himself in world football, but so far, he hasn't been much cop. Doesn't help that he has been used in different positions of course, but against Algeria he was the worst player on the field during the first half, and that took some doing. Wouldn't be suprised if that was his last start in the tournament.

Hope that the goal gives Özil a confidence boost and his sagging-shoulders, defeated-look split persona recedes. He has so much talent.

Anyway, looking forward to the France game. Should be a cracker, they're in fine form.

Reactions: Grinner