Germany at World Cup 2014

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
Your pont! You really are drunk. God bless you.

Sphaero

Struggling to explain his genius to the hoi polloi
Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Sphaero, what's your punt?
Ahh, that makes more sense, lol.

First of all, I expect our lovely neighbours in the final. Now regarding our chances vs. them, I think the question if Hummels will be able to start will play a vital role in my prediction. I think we will need him to withstand the Dutch offensive fire power enough to close it out within 90 minutes. Even vs. Brazil we lost some stability in the back with him going off.

In short:
-With Hummels 3:1 for us (expect the flying Dutchman to score...)
-Without him 2:2 or 3:3 going into penalties, making them cry there

Bojan11

Ahh, that makes more sense, lol.

First of all, I expect our lovely neighbours in the final. Now regarding our chances vs. them, I think the question if Hummels will be able to start will play a vital role in my prediction. I think we will need him to withstand the Dutch offensive fire power enough to close it out within 90 minutes. Even vs. Brazil we lost some stability in the back with him going off.

In short:
-With Hummels 3:1 for us (expect the flying Dutchman to score...)
-Without him 2:2 or 3:3 going into penalties, making them cry there
Sphaero, what's your pint?

Blackwidow

There are set rules in the world...

The Netherlands are great in iceskating, the Austrians in skijumping and downhill skiing - and Germany in football...

It has to stay like this...

---------

About our chances - if they keep Robben to the right side he will not be dangerous even if he beats his man and is impressive. Have seen that so often in Bayern matches and in the recent Netherland matches. He gets only dangerous when he can get out of that position - but has to be double tracked. And not such a high line so he can get into counters.

The problem with van Gaal is that he knows that team so much. He still talked of his boys some months ago in an interview.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
LvG will outmaneuver Loew.
Yeah, but we win anyway. Then the Caf can celebrate their new manager and we will celebrate winning the Cup. Sonds fecking brilliant to me.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
Yeah, but we win anyway. Then the Caf can celebrate their new manager and we will celebrate winning the Cup. Sonds fecking brilliant to me.
Good grief, are you still awake or already on your feet again? :D

LvG would outoach Löw most days of the week anyway, but this WC has just gone completely insane.
11:5 Germany, because why the feck not?

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Good grief, are you still awake or already on your feet again? :D

LvG would outoach Löw most days of the week anyway, but this WC has just gone completely insane.
11:5 Germany, because why the feck not?
Work, work, work :(.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
imagine if reus had played.. I reckon this Germany team would've been even more entertaining.

Melvyn

prostate examiner
You've got to feel for Reus though. Must be gutted to be missing out on a WC final.

wwwwww

Na. Ja.

I'm officially an "ABG" fan.

1. Netherlands
2. Argentina
3. Germany

In that order.

The hubris should Germany win the WC would be too much to take.

Even worse than Liverpool winning the league that :D (Well almost!)

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Argentina will beat them. Germany have been so much better than them, so expect a scrappy Argentina win.

hp88

Argentina will beat them. Germany have been so much better than them, so expect a scrappy Argentina win.
Reckon they will get smashed by the Germans, like Brazil they have got lucky in certain games.

gofelx

Supports
Hamburgers
That's what I fear as well. Football is cruel sometimes.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Reckon they will get smashed by the Germans, like Brazil they have got lucky in certain games.
They have, but the Germans haven't been incredible in every game. Wouldn't surprise me if we saw some cruel irony with Argentina getting a scrappy win.

That's what I fear as well. Football is cruel sometimes.
It is indeed.

gofelx

Supports
Hamburgers
So, will the Brazilian crowd cheer for Germany or Argentina? Or just boo both teams? :lol:

Smithy89

Muller will outshine messi and their midfield bar masch won't get close to bastian, kroos and khedira. Stranger things have happened but it shoule be a german world cup win.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
So, will the Brazilian crowd cheer for Germany or Argentina? Or just boo both teams? :lol:
Probably Germany I imagine. As much as they were humiliated, I can imagine a lot of them having respect for the performance of Germany. Brazil's arch rivals winning their World Cup would probably be an embarrassment that they'd take a long time to live down.

NoLogo

This will be a tough final since Argentina are a very well organized team when it comes to defending. Non the less I think we can beat them since we have a bit more variety in our game compared to them. They will as always run the majority of their attack through Messi and if we can stop him the should be similarly harmless as they were today then all we need to do is find one goal, maybe even from a corner and we should be able to wrap it up.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
It's easy to say it now they're in the final, but they do have to best squad in the world by some distance. A lot of them grew up together and in 2010 we got a glimpse at what this side could do. Now they're all at the right age and everything has come together for them. Their passing against Brazil was different level, especially in and around the box. They don't rely on any one player like Brazil and Argentina (I know Argentina beat Holland despite Messi not showing up but they were still pretty poor) and they're highly motivated, even when they had Brazil well beaten they were maintaining professionalism.

I expect them to win convincingly enough, 2-0.

Becknaldolencia

I think Germany is the most balanced team in this years WC.
They are fourth in terms of number of overall international caps, 974 caps between them.
Germany was brilliant in the last WC, so with those youngsters maturing I guess you should be more confident.
Furthermore Germany has the highest number of international goals between their squad(219). I know these stats don't mean much but it is a fact.
Add to that a lot of Bayern and Dortmund players are present in the squad similar to Spain's WC winning suqad that had majority of the players from Barca abd Real. Things are looking bright for Germany, for me atleast. And having no pressure to win the tournament might actually be a good thing.

Called it before the WC in this thread and our resident Germans didn't agree at that time.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Bayern provided a good core for the team, but the rest of the team (=> players who were actually used) was quite diverse: Özil/Mertesacker (Arsenal), Schürrle(Chelsea) Mustafi (Genoa), Klose (Lazio), Khedira(Real), Kramer(Gladbach), Höwedes (Schalke) = 7 different clubs.
And the pressure is always great: Germany enters these tournaments to win.

anchan1989

Fact is, that Löw was the bad man for some media after 2012. After a semifinal where he made a good move in my eyes. No one could show me to this day that is was a wrong one with Kroos.
We always had a great team, one of the best. But with the injuries in the month before the WC you can understand a bad feeling. Neuer, Schweinsteiger, Lahm, Reus, Bender. Gündogan long out.
But I always hoped. Because they are this good. Löw did the right things again.
Great camp far off any trouble, great management, calling 14/15 players his starting pool. He had Lahm in midfield till Khedira and Schweini were ready.
Höwedes added power and height in the defense.
Overall a totally worthy WORLD CHAMPION; great players and some world beaters and legends. Add to that a great coaching team with a world class coach and you got yourself the TROPHY!!!!

Löw run; final 2008, 3. 2010, semi 2012 and world chamion. Very important assistant in 2006 too when we reached 3rd. What a legend!!!!

Last edited:

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
Currently, half the squad plays more or less out of position. Just can't see this resulting in a title win.

I'd much prefer Lahm being returned to RB and Klose to start. He's not your typical substitute striker anyway, and when he gets tired he can be replaced by Schürrle. Similarily, when Khedira or Schweinsteiger run out of gas, Lahm can replace them in DM and Durm can be brought in. There has been a lot of hype about Lahm in the German media, he was made out to be some kind football whizzkid whose tactical genius allows him to excel in almost every position. Turns out, playing in an absolutely dominant Bayern side can make you seem more than you are. Lahm's not a worldclass DM and Germany doesn't have 2 dedicated, seasoned fullbacks to replace him, either.

I've also been dissappointed by Goetze, was hoping he would really announce himself in world football, but so far, he hasn't been much cop. Doesn't help that he has been used in different positions of course, but against Algeria he was the worst player on the field during the first half, and that took some doing. Wouldn't be suprised if that was his last start in the tournament.

Hope that the goal gives Özil a confidence boost and his sagging-shoulders, defeated-look split persona recedes. He has so much talent.

Anyway, looking forward to the France game. Should be a cracker, they're in fine form.
Löw was possibly the most maligned manager in this World Cup, especially by his own home support. I found it laughable then that some on here wanted Germany to lose early on just so that Löw would be dismissed.

Hansinity

Supports
Bayern Munich
Löw was possibly the most maligned manager in this World Cup, especially by his own home support. I found it laughable then that some on here wanted Germany to lose early on just so that Löw would be dismissed.
As far as I know those were only some Dortmund fans. As the core of theGerman team consists of Bayern player , some cant really identify themselves with the German team ( in a way understandable tbf).

But the critics relating to Lahms position, using 4 CB for example are really reasonable, BUT just forget about it. We fecking won the WC! and therefore you can't blame Löw in anyway now !

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
They play such a brave brand of football. A suicidely high backline(hence they seeming vulnurability) and a direct approach on the ball(they always looking to go forward and penetrate). The opposition will get a fair number of chances agaisnt them. They not really ball hogs in the classic tiki taka style. Its like they dare you to beat them.