Germany - Euro 2021 discussion

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Hungary had one very well executed attack, facilitated by Kroos passivity, as is custom for die Mannschaft, and one courageous reaction, helped by dodgy defending / a Neuer miscalculation. Germany had the ball for basically the rest of the match, but with the wings soundly covered no idea how to create danger aside from spaming crosses Moyes style. The first goal was a mistake from Gulacsi, the second was throw caution to the wind -> pack the box -> get a deflection your way.

This is the dominant analytical question:
Well maybe Low will change the tatical setup for Wembley.

ForEverEleven

Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Damn, that was bad. Nevertheless, I reckon we get more space in the final third against England than against France or Hungary. Big changes to the team are needed, Goretzka is a safe bet for Gündogan and Musiala should be in for a shout to start.

Toshey

Supports
Levski Sofia
Criminal by Löw to take Havertz out and keep Sane in.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Löw lives and dies by the Turbotoni. He's hardcore like that.
Care to explain what Turbotoni means, still traumatised with the Goosens shitshow from Saturday.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
No, I think we should've had 90% possession in this match instead of playing head through wall
Yea mate, but that press resistance man. Any comment on that? Seriously you're the only person I've met who defends Low and has the most annoying arguments of playing Kroos with Gundogan. I hate you right now :lol:

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Care to explain what Turbotoni means, still traumatised with the Goosens shitshow from Saturday.
Turbocharged Toni Kroos. Closing down the opposition at the speed of a cow grazing through a field.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
It means that Toni Kroos so very special he does not have to run, ever, despite being lined up as the sole defensive midfielder. And it's all good, because he plays pretty passes.

Raredaredevil

I can't decide if it is better to face one of the tournament favourites England at home in the next round or win the group and play Switzerland because it seems not so bad now to face England. Beat England and it's a pretty much straight path to the final. The right half of the draw is definitely much easier as compared to getting past Switzerland and potentially facing Spain, Belgium, Italy.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
It means that Toni Kroos so very special he does not have to run, ever, despite being line up as the sole defensive midfielder. And it's all good, because he plays pretty passes.
Ah I see, am I wrong if I detect some sort of tiredness amongst some Germany fans regarding Kroos? Anyway I don’t follow every match of Germany to say if it’s Kroos or Low fault, we cannot say the guy is a pub player.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I can't decide if it is better to face one of the tournament favourites England at home in the next round or win the group and play Switzerland because it seems not so bad now to face England. Beat England and it's a pretty much straight path to the final. The right half of the draw is definitely much easier as compared to getting past Switzerland and potentially facing Spain, Belgium, Italy.
When you give away the 0-1 every game and then have absolutely no idea how to force chances it doesn't matter who you play. You can't win a tournament this way. I honestly would have preferred to go out today with a huge bang and get a proper shake up and maybe some reforms out of this, rather than the useless "well it wasn't that bad".

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Ah I see, am I wrong if I detect some sort of tiredness amongst some Germany fans regarding Kroos? Anyway I don’t follow every match of Germany to say if it’s Kroos or Low fault, we cannot say the guy is a pub player.
I don't think Kroos is a bad footballer, he's terrific on the ball, but he is a disgustingly terrible athlete. But Löw - every. single. year. - pretends it's all fine and tries to play him as a holding midfielder, rather than acknowledge his weaknesses and play him with sufficient cover or drop him.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
I don't think Kroos is a bad footballer, he's terrific on the ball, but he is a disgustingly terrible athlete. But Löw - every. single. year. - pretends it's all fine and tries to play him as a holding midfielder, rather than acknowledge his weaknesses and play him with sufficient cover or drop him.
I guess Kroos learned the concept of the good life at Madrid. Siesta and relax. :lol:

Raredaredevil

When you give away the 0-1 every game and then have absolutely no idea how to force chances it doesn't matter who you play. You can't win a tournament this way. I honestly would have preferred to go out today with a huge bang and get a proper shake up and maybe some reforms out of this, rather than the useless "well it wasn't that bad".
Low has already resigned and he is leaving Die Mannschaft after the Euros anyway, I'm fairly certain Flick would come in make Die Mannschaft a force again. We live to fight another day. Seriously Germany getting knocked out at home by Hungary will be just disgraceful, embarrassing and unthinkable. Getting knocked out in the World Cup and finishing last in the group was already a huge stain on Germany's phenomenal footballing history and now if we get knocked out, results like that will really get in the players' head and they might never recover from that. This is what makes Man Utd lose our fear factor when Sir Alex retired and we suffered under Moyes. You could see the after effect on Man Utd which we've never won the title since. It was just so important to qualify to the next round.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I guess Kroos learned the concept of the good life at Madrid. Siesta and relax. :lol:
It's not just lazyness (though there is no excuse for allowing Hungary's assist for the 0:1 today), "Turbotoni was coined in his early 20s, while he was still at Bayern. He's just a very slow player. Which can of course still work, see late stage Pirlo, but you need the coach to account for his weaknesses and create the proper context/cover.

Low has already resigned and he is leaving Die Mannschaft after the Euros anyway, I'm fairly certain Flick would come in make Die Mannschaft a force again. We live to fight another day. Seriously Germany getting knocked out at home by Hungary will be just disgraceful, embarrassing and unthinkable. Getting knocked out in the World Cup and finishing last in the group was already a huge stain on Germany's phenomenal footballing history and now if we get knocked out, results like that will really get in the players' head and they might never recover from that. This is what makes Man Utd lose our fear factor when Sir Alex retired and we suffered under Moyes. You could see the after effect on Man Utd which we've never won the title since. It was just so important to qualify to the next round.
Die Mannschaft has been so successful, it's not like another early exit would change it's identity. If you believe the players the crash and burn experience in Russia actually created some determination and cohesion "for the greater good". Löw is only part of the problem, the other issue are the comical imbalance of the squad, with seemingly a dozen terrific #8/10s, but no RB, no established top LB, no #6, no #9, few proper dribbling wide players. Another humiliating exit would create yet more pressure and will for reform at youth level.

Last edited:

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
You must not have been alive in 2000.

Okocha119

But Löw - every. single. year. - pretends it's all fine and tries to play him as a holding midfielder, rather than acknowledge his weaknesses and play him with sufficient cover or drop him.
On the bright side, at least he's not playing him to cover Pirlo anymore.

I hope you know that Oliver Bierhoff gets a massive stiffy every time you say "Die Mannschaft".

Irwin99

Are Germans feeling anxious about England or is this 2010 all over again?

RopersReturn

Unless something truly bonkers happens in the next few weeks, Hungary will walk away with the “exceeding William Jansens expectations”-award. They played four and a half hours of football in the group of death. They played the reigning world champions, the reigning European champions and Germany in Germany. And for those four and a half hours, there were a mere 10 minutes, when they weren’t in the fight.

Well done, Magyars! I look forward to following you more closely in the years to come.

Wayne's World

If there's one international team who will be up for a game against England (bar the home nations) then it's Germany. I hope SkySports and the English press write them off because that's when they are most dangerous.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Right. 2012, 2018. 2020/21 - Three tournaments sacrificed to the **** of Turbotoni. It's insane.
I blame Low for 2012, but that's not because he played Kroos but rather he played Ozil and Kroos together with Ozil playing as a RW. Playing Kroos was the right idea then because he would still try to defend at that time but playing Ozil meant we had no threat on the wings and were far too central, which played into Italy hands with their 4 central midfielders.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Unless something truly bonkers happens in the next few weeks, Hungary will walk away with the “exceeding William Jansens expectations”-award. They played four and a half hours of football in the group of death. They played the reigning world champions, the reigning European champions and Germany in Germany. And for those four and a half hours, there were a mere 10 minutes, when they weren’t in the fight.

Well done, Magyars! I look forward to following you more closely in the years to come.
I really respect the effort of their team. But in a way this group was easy for them, because they were the clear underdog in each game and could approach every game with an "us against the world" mentality. It's "easy" to look good in these games, because the opposition has to run into you and there is absolutely zero pressure to do anything constructive. In a regular group they would probably look like Northern Macedonia or Slovakia.

I blame Low for 2012, but that's not because he played Kroos but rather he played Ozil and Kroos together with Ozil playing as a RW. Playing Kroos was the right idea then because he would still try to defend at that time but playing Ozil meant we had no threat on the wings and were far too central, which played into Italy hands with their 4 central midfielders.
I don't blame Kroos personally for 2012 either, he was just the expression of Löw's idiotic ideas to avoid playing Müller, Reus, Götze, Gündogan or even Klose.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal

They performed well but… they were the team with less pressure for this tournament. Not taking nothing aside from their effort and work, but at least against Portugal and France they played with home support, and beside that playing better or worse Portugal and France had to take the initiative and they needed to be focused and played deep. Today they deserve credit for their result but I didn’t watched them so I really don’t know what happened. Let’s see over the next years if they will improve or not.

ti vu

TBF, 3 at back is already like adding a sole defensive player to cover for the midfield. It's more of the issue of the whole team. Lack of dynamism, energy in most positions of the team. The players that are supposed to cover for others, have their own issues.

BayernFan87

Supports
Bayern Munich
Criminal by Löw to take Havertz out and keep Sane in.
I thought aside from his goal Havertz was way worse than Sané.
Sané tried everything, had more passes, more dribblings. Did he create much? No, but at least he tried.

And he fought back and retained the ball several times. Did he look good at the
1-2? No, but he was there. Because even as an attacking player he not only walked back but ran back and tried his best.

Sané really suffers from the Boateng or Özil prejudices. He looks and dresses a bit extraordinary and his body language isn't the one of a fighter.
Many German fans and the media don't like these kind of players.

But again, I think he tried everything today and was (way) better than Gnabry and Havertz.

Edit: I think the same applies for Kroos. I'm not a big fan of his because in my opinion his defensive contribution is lacking.
But he plays a really good tournament until now I think and is way better then Gündogan.
I really hope for Kroos-Goretzka against England.

Rektsanwalt

Supports
Schalke 04
How are Germany through? They finished third?
Germany is second in their group.
Besides, you need 16 teams for a knockout round starting with 8 games. Hence the 4 best third places make the knockout stage if there‘s six groups.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Are Germans feeling anxious about England or is this 2010 all over again?
I prefer England over Switzerland, tbh, in terms of their respective similarity to Portugal/Hungary. No telling who will win, but I guess it won't be a frustrating game with 80 minutes of fruitless passing the ball around miles from goal.

Josh 76

If there's one international team who will be up for a game against England (bar the home nations) then it's Germany. I hope SkySports and the English press write them off because that's when they are most dangerous.
They will all be saying Germany can’t even beat Hungry at home, but will forget England couldn’t even beat Scotland at home.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
I thought aside from his goal Havertz was way worse than Sané.
Sané tried everything, had more passes, more dribblings. Did he create much? No, but at least he tried.

And he fought back and retained the ball several times. Did he look good at the
1-2? No, but he was there. Because even as an attacking player he not only walked back but ran back and tried his best.

Sané really suffers from the Boateng or Özil prejudices. He looks and dresses a bit extraordinary and his body language isn't the one of a fighter.
Many German fans and the media don't like these kind of players.

But again, I think he tried everything today and was (way) better than Gnabry and Havertz.

Edit: I think the same applies for Kroos. I'm not a big fan of his because in my opinion his defensive contribution is lacking.
But he plays a really good tournament until now I think and is way better then Gündogan.
I really hope for Kroos-Goretzka against England.
Oh ffs please. I'm as big of a fan of Ozil you'll see on redcafe, and you can go back to the Ozil threads to see me defending him, but Sane is in no way comparable to Ozil.

Sane had 0 moments of quality in that match and should've been off at half time, let alone starting. It's not all his fault, for some reason Low thought he could be okay as an attacking midfielder, and then when that obviously didn't work he tried him as the right wing back (with Kimmich moving centrally), that resulted in Hungary's second goal.

Sane has been poor throughout this tournament and if we want to continue to play a winger less system, then he shouldn't ever be on the pitch because he can't play anywhere else.

Rektsanwalt

Supports
Schalke 04
England vs Germany is always a cracker, even if both these sides' coaches somehow manage to screw up formation, tactics, system and first XI so far. Both teams could be playing much better. High quality players is no issue on either side.

RoyH1

Löw really needs to get his tactics back on track. England will leave more spaces than Hungary, but on the other hand has far better players to punish defensive mishaps. It's going to be a very entertaining game.