Get rid of VAR NOW! We want our game back! (...or not, some are happy)

VAR - Love or Hate?

• Total voters

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
No, you simply have to tweak the VAR use.
Don't think so. Offside is technically an objective rather than a subjective decision, which makes it difficult to grant VAR leeway. "Clear and obvious error" can currently only be applied to subjective decisions, so AFAIAA the offside rule would need to change before VAR can do anything other than strict rulings on offside calls. Because getting an objective call wrong is in effect a clear error.

killerboi2

So predictably the percentage in favour of VAR on the poll has dropped once we're on the end of a dodgy decision (didn't take very long to happen did it?). Pro VAR posters boasting about the "overall majority in favour", yet it's looking shakier by the second!!.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
So with VAR can anyone explain the need for a linesman now?

They are completely irrelevant to a match.

Anustart89

Wasn't it a backward pass, and therefore not offside? Or am I missing something?
You can still be offside even if the ball is passed backwards. It's often confused with the "you can't be offside if you're behind the passing player" part of the law.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
So predictably the percentage in favour of VAR on the poll has dropped once we're on the end of a dodgy decision (didn't take very long to happen did it?). Pro VAR posters boasting about the "overall majority in favour", yet it's looking shakier by the second!!.
It wasn't a dodgy decision.

The problem with it was that it was a) too slow and b) looked shite in terms of presentation.

Josep Dowling

My issue with VAR was shown tonight:

Moutinho feigns injury. Goes to VAR to decide if Pogba stamps on him. It clearly shows Moutinho faked his reaction. Why is there no card for simulation?

Wan-Bissaka gets a yellow card for it hitting his shoulder, why isn’t this immediately overturned? He could potentially get a red later on in game because of that terrible decision.

If Wolves had scored from that counter where James got smashed from behind, would that have been overruled?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Has anyone pointed out that Raul was directly in De Gea’s eyeline for the goal tonight, while at least two yards offside? Neves basically curled the ball around him. Stupid fecking system spent ages analysing a different phase and didn’t even check the most obvious discretion. Such a load of bollox.

Anustart89

Moutinho feigns injury. Goes to VAR to decide if Pogba stamps on him. It clearly shows Moutinho faked his reaction. Why is there no card for simulation?
Don't forget that it shows Moutinho kicking Pogba as he's lying down, so he committed the first foul in that situation as well :lol:

Rafaeldagold

I’m so glad VAR came into our lives to clear everything up. Wonderful bit of futuristic ‘replay’ technology.

Magnificent

Josep Dowling

Has anyone pointed out that Raul was directly in De Gea’s eyeline for the goal tonight, while at least two yards offside? Neves basically curled the ball around him. Stupid fecking system spent ages analysing a different phase and didn’t even check the most obvious discretion. Such a load of bollox.
So far we have only seen one replay of the offside before the goal as well. I feel it’s exactly the same as the Sterling one that was ruled offside.

Anustart89

Unfortunately, I don't think he was obstructing de Gea's view. Look at his position when the shot is taken and then a few frames later. Looks like de Gea has a clear view.

Rafaeldagold

So Nuno Santo has just said this:

He said: "What is worrying me is that we will be afraid to celebrate the goal. You cannot lose the energy. They have to find a solution for it. Please do it."

Sorry to inform you but this is how football is now- every goal is reviewed due to glorious VAR.

What a pathetic trash addition to our game it is

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
It's more likely they checked that first (which added to the delay in checking the incident we ultimately saw) but decided De Gea's view wasn't obstructed.

montpelier

These are all (allegedly) petty incidents & weren't getting spotted anyway. But it does possibly illustrate that the gains are not so great as might be said.

Player behaviour seems improved though - they know they won't get away with much that is particularly outrageous.

edit - I wasn't meaning the goal

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Unfortunately, I don't think he was obstructing de Gea's view. Look at his position when the shot is taken and then a few frames later. Looks like de Gea has a clear view.

As De Gea dived Raul will have come between him and the ball. That’s the sort of distraction that should be considered interfering with play.

EDIT: To be clear, this wouldn’t bother me in the slightest pre-VAR but it’s beyond infuriating now they’re supposed to be getting all these marginal calls correct.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.

He said: "What is worrying me is that we will be afraid to celebrate the goal. You cannot lose the energy. They have to find a solution for it. Please do it."

Sorry to inform you but this is how football is now- every goal is reviewed due to glorious VAR.

I was thinkng that. It will be the same for us supporters at home or in the stadium, we wont celebrate madly like we used too, we will just sit there waiting for the VAR decision. Its a nightmare.

montpelier

I think that's offside. He isn't there by accident, imo. In front of the net and is close to the GK.

We wuz robbed, :(.

bleedred

We were told VAR was only going to interfere in Clear and obvious errors that result in changing the net result of the game. We had a clear corner not given and wolves go on to score from that passage of play. Its not within the scope of VAR, but should errors like this be added to it?.
I mean, all its going to take is the VAR to say to the ref to award the corner.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder

Luddite.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
It's more likely they checked that first (which added to the delay in checking the incident we ultimately saw) but decided De Gea's view wasn't obstructed.
I don’t know how anyone can check that and not see Raul standing in De Gea’s eyeline. He’s there for a reason. He also makes no effort to retreat, which is usually the only way a player can get away with being so blatantly offside.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
You have no idea where it’ll end. In order to get the ‘correct ‘ result.

There was a game a season ago where the game was ‘finished’ for the half yet the ref brought them back on the pitch for a penalty var had spotted.
Grow up.

Rafaeldagold

What you’ve literally said could never happen has already happened..do you need to grow up in order to understand that?

Ie) After a part of the game had finished (first half) & referee blew his whistle & teams were down the tunnel he brought them back due to VAR.

Sorry to have proven you wrong but no need to get childish with insults

arnie_ni

My biggest complaint was giving martial offside when he wasnt. Leave your flag down and let the attack happen then review. We could easily have scored there

Anustart89

He just needs to be in his eye-line to be interfering no?
Yeah, if the referee deemed he's obstructed his view of the ball from his offside position, but I'm saying he probably wasn't based on the images I've posted. And god knows I've been critical of Moss tonight, just look at my post history...

Rafaeldagold

I don’t know how anyone can check that and not see Raul standing in De Gea’s eyeline. He’s there for a reason. He also makes no effort to retreat, which is usually the only way a player can get away with being so blatantly offside.
Yep I thought that was what they were looking at when checking it- he was ridiculously far offside & clearly in the way at least partially & definitely towards the end of the shot . I don’t even think they looked at it.

Although to be fair with looking at the offside & that with the speed of VAR we’d still be reviewing that now

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
The issue may be the same as the City penalty incident: the PL have set too high a threshold for subjective calls, which this is.

In this instance VAR would ask the ref what he saw and if it roughly corresponds to what they've seen then they don't intervene. So if he says "I saw Jiminez, I don't think he was obstructing De Gea's view" then VAR will simply go along with it. The only way they'd likely intervene is if he hadn't noticed Jiminez in De Gea's eyeline at all.

It was (likely) the same with the City penalty. The ref says "I saw some pulling but I didn't think it was enough for a penalty", so VAR don't intervene even if they actually think it should have been a penalty.

Basically, the PL have introduced a particularly stupid version of VAR in an attempt to reduce interventions, I think.

R'hllor

Some of you are even more crazy for arguing with certain posters in here.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
As Gary just said, it is worrying that no decisions has been overturned yet by the VAR when there was at least 3 or 4 that should have been. I'm sure they will take it onboard and we'll soon see it happen if needed. Hopefully in weeks and not months.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
The issue may be the same as the City penalty incident: the PL have set too high a threshold for subjective calls, which this is.

In this instance VAR would ask the ref what he saw and if it roughly corresponds to what they've seen then they don't intervene. So if he says "I saw Jiminez, I don't think he was obstructing De Gea's view" then VAR will simply go along with it. The only way they'd likely intervene is if he hadn't noticed Jiminez in De Gea's eyeline at all.

It was (likely) the same with the City penalty. The ref says "I saw some pulling but I didn't think it was enough for a penalty", so VAR don't intervene even if they actually think it should have been a penalty.

Basically, the PL have introduced a particularly stupid version of VAR, I think.
Yeah they’ve just been talking about it on Sky, how they didn’t give City that penalty I’ll never know.

mattsville

Yep, that is why I thought there was a VAR review, surprised they were reviewing an offside.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.

Basically, the PL have introduced a particularly stupid version of VAR in an attempt to reduce interventions, I think.
VAR was gash in the WWC too. I don’t watch any other leagues so will take your word for it that we’re being inflicted with a particularly shit version.

mattsville

James got a yellow for diving and was clearly very cleverly clipped, AWB got a yellow for handball and it clearly was a shoulder, now you have 2 players on yellows, particularly your full back who has to adjust his game, can of worms opened.

Rafaeldagold

How anyone with any sense can advocate VAR in football I just don’t understand.

It clearly just doesn’t work, it still picks & chooses what to pick up on, is slow, causes more problems than it solves, ruins celebrations now as VAR is checking every goal & isn’t suited to the game.

Genuinely baffled how any intelligent person can advocate for it

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
As Gary just said, it is worrying that no decisions has been overturned yet by the VAR when there was at least 3 or 4 that should have been. I'm sure they will take it onboard and we'll soon see it happen if needed. Hopefully in weeks and not months.
Apparently they tried to do the same high threshold thing with VAR in Germany but later changed it due to these same issues.

Which begs the question why the PL, being late to adopt VAR, didn't learn from previous iterations?

Anustart89

Apparently they tried to do the same high threshold thing with VAR in Germany but later changed it due to these same issues.

Which begs the question why the PL, being late to adopt VAR, didn't learn from previous iterations?
Why do it in a good way like the rest of Europe does when you can do it in your own shitty way? Brexit means Brexit.

RUCK4444

Completely agree with you mate, keep fighting the good fight, not everybody here is against you
It’s fecking awful and slowly the majority will realise as much (I hope)
Just another thing that has added to my slowly growing apathy towards the game unfortunately.
It’s bad now and it will undoubtedly start growing into other areas and phases of play, it has to because in order to appease the “100% fair and accurate” brigade it can’t solely just review goals, that’s a bias perspective.
Classic case of trying to fix something that wasn’t broken imo.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
How anyone with any sense can advocate VAR in football I just don’t understand.

It clearly just doesn’t work, it still picks & chooses what to pick up on, is slow, causes more problems than it solves, ruins celebrations now as VAR is checking every goal & isn’t suited to the game.

Genuinely baffled how any intelligent person can advocate for it

Being genuinely serious, some people are not able to see the bigger picture.

“Technology = less wrong decisions” is the logic. I get it.

Then you see it in practice and it.. doesn’t work. It’ll take time till people realise this. But it’s been disastrous for football. Hearing wolves fans chant “feck VAR” today was very funny.