Getting carried away after a win against PSG, it seems like the caf has learned nothing

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
Did we learn anything from that win that we didn't already know?

Didn't we already know United can play five at the back and get a favourable result away against another European top club?

Didn't we already know that this United side thrives when being the underdog, ie not expected to win?

Didn't we already know that United can win narrow games thanks to penalties, and do we know that the penalties will sooner or later dry up?

Solkjaer's quest to turn United into a plucky midtable club is def succeeding.

When this United side can easily brush aside the likes of Crystal Palace/Tottenham at home, when the pressure is still on, with a swagger befitting of one of the biggest clubs in the world, that's when Solkjaer can start proving everyone wrong. A win in the CL group stage against a poor PSG side fielding such mediocrity as Kean, Herrera and Kurzawa, is no impressive feat at all.

STYLOISRED

Actually, we have come leaps and bounds since we last beat them. If we continue in that same trajectory, we will be one of the best teams in Europe in 2years.

Adamsk7

Why can’t people just enjoy something good, whether it lasts or is fleeting? I’m certified depressed at the moment and even I think this place is bleak!
It was a brilliant result against a team that only two months ago was playing in the final of the champions league. Let’s not take that away from the team.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins

Didn't we already know United can play five at the back and get a favourable result away against another European top club?

Didn't we already know that this United side thrives when being the underdog, ie not expected to win?

Didn't we already know that United can win narrow games thanks to penalties, and do we know that the penalties will sooner or later dry up?

When this United side can easily brush aside the likes of Crystal Palace/Tottenham at home, when the pressure is still on, with a swagger befitting of one of the biggest clubs in the world, that's when Solkjaer can start proving everyone wrong. A win in the CL group stage against a poor PSG side fielding such mediocrity as Kean, Herrera and Kurzawa, is no impressive feat at all.
Not sure if this is some kind of elaborate wind-up that nobody else is going to get

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Have seen people understandably enjoy last night, we've had little to shout about in recent months so why not? Don't think people are getting carried away, big game Saturday to come.

Ole90+3

You'll get backlash with this post but knee jerking works both ways - after a big win and a disappointing loss. We're still very much a work in progress and I don't believe Ole is the man to take us to the position of challenging for titles but there was a clear difference in how we played last night versus how we playing the game that got Ole the job. That's what the most impressive things from last night was - the performance, not the result.

OleBoiii

A counter thread was bound to happen sooner rather than later. WUM or not: :lol:

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
When we lose it proves everything, when we win it proves nothing. Am I getting that right?

MUFC07

Come on Nilsson you're an old timer.... you know the caf never learns anything!!! :lol:

Hammondo

We learnt McTom + Fred + Bruno is our way forward.

We learnt about our other CB options.

We learnt with an actual midfield that does its job our attackers have more opportunity to commit to attacks.

Smores

So in conclusion a manager has to consistently win games to prove themselves a top manager. Who would've thought it.

In the context of a manager still proving themselves which is where Ole is at then last nights result certainly takes him further on that path.

In the context of this season last night's win was the first time we've been decent ( i wasn't that impressed vs Newcastle) so it's a much needed relief we're not in free fall.

CG1010

Evil Ole turning United into a mediocre club by winning against PSG at their home.. thank god redcafe vigilantes are there to prevent this

Deery

Dreary
Evil Ole turning United into a mediocre club by winning against PSG at their home.. thank god redcafe vigilantes are there to prevent this
Must be an Ole outer that’s livid that we beat PSG..

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Sort of thread I would be proud of during peak Jose era.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Breaking clubs history of most away wins in a row and finally ending PSGs unbeatable streak at home in group stages of the CL since 2004?

He's a demon.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
Okay. I won’t get carried away with last night. I actually think we can play far better with the ball than we did. Can I get carried away with 4 defeats since January instead? Or is that not a big enough sample size to escape the pit of misery most in this place are perpetually in :lol:

eltigreFalcao

omg the OP... some people just thrive in the thought of United doing bad that they just wanna find negativity where there's only positives to take out. Give yourself a break, mate, go ahead and enjoy football, this is not only about moaning and complaining, there's much more to it, you know?

vodrake

Fits right in with the "fans more concerned about being right on the internet than celebrating a win" thread

Borys

Statistics Wizard
We learned some new things though:
  • Shaw is better fit for LCB than left back, let alone wingback
  • Lindelof can be a fine defender if surrounded by pace (same applies to Maguire I'm sure)
  • we should not fear any wingers against Wan Bissaka, PSG was at tough game as it gets with Mbappe and Neymar coming at him
  • Fred and McTominay didn't crumble when pressed (although this PSG side wasn't particularly great, they still have quality all over the pitch)
Most importantly we've won because we've been the better team overall, not relying on individual brilliance. That certainly is a good sign, and hopefully we'll gain some momentum now. About time for big league games.

RashyForPM

No one’s even overreacting or getting hyped up. We’re all just celebrating a brilliant win. Are we only allowed to be fuming when we lose but not be glad when we win? Against one of the best teams in the world?

This thread is frankly nonsense I’m afraid.

Remember the geese

If only we had started a team with all of Pogba, Van de Beek, Bruno, Mata, Greenwood, Martial and Rashford in it. We could have won 6-1 and shown that we were no plucky mid table side...or something.

Scriblerus

We just bossed what was expected to be a tough game, with an XI that worked together and turned in very good individual and collective performances. If you can't enjoy that, why bother watching football at all?

KwokSF

Isn't it fun though? A forum like this suppose to live on results match by match, one day it goes to meltdown. Another day it goes to euphoria.

buckooo1978

I think there are elements but lets look at it a different way - these are things that have changed in my view

Solskjaer waking up to the fact that Pogba/Matic aren't a good midfield 2

Fred and McTominay looking a more mature partnership

Solskjaer a bit more tactically on it - pressing, solid, organised and made changes to effect the game

Pogba dropped again effectively - he needs to know he must do more as a midfielder - he can't be a passenger and play in this team

Bruno becoming a leader

De Gea (fingers crossed) showing signs with competition he's getting back to his best

Shaw showing signs with competition he's getting back to his best

Telles has a wicked left foot and we might have a very effective weapon on our hands particularly from set pieces

Tuanzebe (if he stays fit) could be the quick, excellent at 1 on 1 CB we need

This wasn't a smash and grab - we dominated the game albeit against a injury affected PSG

You can be glass half empty on this and we are not without our challenges (Solskjaer ability, Rashford/Martial consistency, performance level of some) but last night was undoubtedly a positive night with positive signs - let's enjoy it

rotherham_red

I think in our case, that old adage rings true:

When things are bad, we're not as bad as is being made out, and in good times, we're not as good as we think we are.

Personally, I see us being in the middle of a long-term project and one that isn't anywhere near to being completed. There are still gaping holes in this team which need filling and Ole up to now, simply hasn't been backed enough in the market to have filled most of those holes. However, he has taken the opportunities that he's had afforded to him and essentially condensed two seasons' worth of transition in to one, and for that he deserves immense respect and credit, which unfortunately is all too fleeting in wider media, and in some sections of our fanbase.

We had a fantastic result yesterday, but the onus is now on beating Chelsea and Arsenal, and not losing to Leipzig. If we can navigate those fixtures and look back on c. 7-9 points out of 9, then we can look towards the rest of the season with real optimism.

MattofManchester

Who has gotten carried away?

We won. Everyone is happy. Now everyone wants to beat Chelsea on the weekend. Then everyone will be happy again.

Rinse and repeat.

Problem?

ROFLUTION

"Herrera mediocre" - yes very mediocre to create 1.5 big chances in the CL final and being their best midfielder in that game. Feck me, OP sounds like an ignorant knowitall

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!

PSG played the Champions League final just over 2 months ago.

It's not the result, its the WAY we won that's important here.

People aren't stupid, we all know that this is still not going to be perfect or we will win ever game, but I am sure as shit going to bask in the absolute DELIGHT of a victory like this.

Why you want to invite skepticism and negativity after such a night.. just don't. I am going to do myself a favor and put your miserable ass on ignore since I do not see what constructive dialogue you are possibly bringing to the table here.

Last edited:

Chief123

Ok let’s all go back to being miserable and unimpressed until we win 100 games in a row.

Shiva87

C
Why can’t people just enjoy something good, whether it lasts or is fleeting? I’m certified depressed at the moment and even I think this place is bleak!
It was a brilliant result against a team that only two months ago was playing in the final of the champions league. Let’s not take that away from the team.
This is not the best place to be if you are certified depressed. Whatever you are doing to improve that can all get negated by 20 mins on here. Last night (after the game) was the most positive I have seen CAF in a long long time (even more positive than the 3rd place finish).