Getting Champions league football, a bit unfair?

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Super unfair, UEFA should just let all Premier League teams into the Champions league and tell all the other pub leagues to feck off.

Oranges038

Champions league should be just that.

The Champions, this watered down nonsense of top 4-7 going into Europe and the seemingly endless qualifying oppurtunities group stages and dropping down should be scrapped.

Positions
1. Champions League
2. Europa League
3. Or Cup Winners Cup - Conference League / Cup winners cup.

With the winner of the CL returning to defend the title and the winner 2 and 3 getting a spot in the CL or EL the following year.

Then you'd see players having to push harder to win leagues to get there rather than settling for top 4 and CL football every year.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Spending and wages need to be an exact reflection of a team's finances.

Hard caps create more parity but can be extremely frustrating.

For instance, the Toronto Maple Leafs and the New York Rangers generate immense wealth but can only spend as much as the Phoenix Coyotes who nobody gives a feck about. Such a system holds the league back from getting more popular.
Doesn't that make football even more for the haves vs have nots than currently?

youmeletsfly

Players who want to join UCL sides are competitors who want to play at the highest level there is, props to them.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
I don't think Bellingham had the foresight to realise we were soon going to miss out on the CL.
Afaik Dortmund signed him as a clear part of the first team (with according wages), while United saw him more as a youth player. So he chose the club that immediately wanted him to be a part of the first team. It doesn't matter if United qualifies for the CL that season when they tell a player he should lead the youth team anyways.

Jezpeza

What with all these players not wanting to play for us because of the lack of Champions League football, got me thinking, some clubs get it easy.
Dortmund, guaranteed Champions League every year from playing in such a rubbish league. Would Dortmund be in the Champions League if they were qualifying from the Premier League? Doubt it.
Then you get all these other clubs, like Olympiacos Bayern PSG, teams that win their farmers league with no effort and then are guaranteed CL money and the players that are attracted to it.
Getting into it from the Premier League must be the hardest task right now.
Bit unfair?
The lack of places for the teams in our leagues makes it more competitive. Even if we finish 6th and dont qualify we would think without qualifying that we are better than Turkish and Swiss teams but struggled against bakeshir and young boys.

We’ve got no god given right to the champions league - we’ve never really been a force in it and several times have been eliminated from groups full of ‘farmers league’ teams or lost games in them. And its the trips all over europe that make it what it is, otherwise it would be a mini tournament played in England, France, Spain, Italy and perhaps Holland.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
"CL should be for the champions" was a better argument back when major leagues weren't won 8 times in a row by the same clubs.

Abraxas

I'm not even sure your premise is correct. We had one of the most disastrous campaigns imaginable, consisting of two never-been coaches, one of them an interim with no authority, a camp fractured and rife with discontent..and yet we still only just missed out on top 4. I think it's highly possible that Dortmund could have finished ahead of us.

redcucumber

Six out of the last 11 and four out of the last five tells a different story. The real fun is the relegation battle and top four race, the league has been dead for a while as a competition.

If you’re looking for leagues with more of a title race, La Liga and Serie A both have had more champions in the past 5 years. Fun leagues.
Both La Liga and Série A only had one different team win it in that timeframe. It's hardly indicative of anything. 5 years also seems like an oddly arbitrary (and convenient) number to use. If you looked at the last 6 or 7, the PL would have 3/4 different winners whereas La Liga and Série A would still only have 3.

All three leagues have also been remarkably similar in terms of how far second place was from first on the final game week. So again, it's not telling of anything. What's generally more interesting is how competitive each team, and therefore each game, is.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
Doesn't that make football even more for the haves vs have nots than currently?
I thought it would even it out a little more as City, PSG and Newcastle can't spend like crazy. Also Barca couldn't wildly spend beyond their means like the past few years.

I think such a model would bring prices down and teams like Arsenal, Everton and Villa could spend close to the big boys.

padr81

Supports
Man City
I thought it would even it out a little more as City, PSG and Newcastle can't spend like crazy. Also Barca couldn't wildly spend beyond their means like the past few years.

I think such a model would bring prices down and teams like Arsenal, Everton and Villa could spend close to the big boys.
But non state clubs still could, so wouldn't it just give all the advantage to Barca, Real, United and Bayern. I think we'd end up with a smaller pool having more.

It's honestly a tough one to call either way something is really broken in football that needs fixing though

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Fans of other teams must love coming to this site and laughing at the ridiculous threads.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Again, maybe it's because their league is easier? They get to rest players more?
Remember Milan resting almost their entire team before playing us in the CL? Whereas we battled a hard fought win just before?, can't remember the team right now.
Yes, 06-07. Literally staggered over the line to a win at Goodison Park to stay ahead of Chelsea, while Milan rested their entire team (far from winning the league, comfortably in 4th place) to prepare for the 3-0 mullering they have us at the San Siro.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
What with all these players not wanting to play for us because of the lack of Champions League football, got me thinking, some clubs get it easy.
Dortmund, guaranteed Champions League every year from playing in such a rubbish league. Would Dortmund be in the Champions League if they were qualifying from the Premier League? Doubt it.
Then you get all these other clubs, like Olympiacos Bayern PSG, teams that win their farmers league with no effort and then are guaranteed CL money and the players that are attracted to it.
Bit unfair?
Money is the problem. There is so much money with being in the CL (both in prize money and through the income that the prestige brings) that it's become a must for top clubs. That's why we have this monstrosity where the number 4 of a number of leagues play in the Champions League, and clubs are still complaining about being left out.

If the Champions League would be limited in size and there would be a fairer distribution of money across the European competitions (CL, EC, ConfL), the issue wouldn't be the same. But there's no way of reversing this trend. We're more likely to see that European Super League return in some kind of UEFA-approved form.

adexkola

Supports

The Champions, this watered down nonsense of top 4-7 going into Europe and the seemingly endless qualifying oppurtunities group stages and dropping down should be scrapped.

Positions
1. Champions League
2. Europa League

With the winner of the CL returning to defend the title and the winner 2 and 3 getting a spot in the CL or EL the following year.

Then you'd see players having to push harder to win leagues to get there rather than settling for top 4 and CL football every year.
Plus, if the CL was that important, then players would leave for teams abroad to join contenders in other leagues that were in the CL. Theoretically.

Daslogisch

Supports
Ajax
Bit unfair?
Don't cry for me Argentina....

Not more unfair then EPL clubs getting crazy TV money every year which makes them able to buy players for a lot of money. PL wouldn't be so tough if it didn't have so much money. If you can't get into top 4, you don't belong in CL and shouldn't attract the best players. Champions League should only be for champions anyway, big leagues already got a huge favor.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football

Positions
1. Champions League
2. Europa League

It would be less exciting. Fans simply want to see the best players/teams play. I would rather watch 4th place Spurs than Trabzonspor 10 times out of 10 b/c they are better. Not really much to it. There is a reason why the CL is in the format it is in now.

adexkola

Supports

Not more unfair then EPL clubs getting crazy TV money every year which makes them able to buy players for a lot of money. PL wouldn't be so tough if it didn't have so much money. If you can't get into top 4, you don't belong in CL and shouldn't attract the best players. Champions League should only be for champions anyway, big leagues already got a huge favor.
Exactly.

Being in the PL is reward enough. You play in the most followed league in the world. You make a shit-ton of money for merely finishing 12th. Now you have some divine right to the CL (depsite not being a champion)??? feck all the way outta here...

AdamColeBebe

Supports
Man Utd
Bit unfair?
Stopped reading here. Your point would have actual credibility if you didn't use these annoying, trolling Twitter descriptions of European leagues. :boring:

adexkola

Supports
It would be less exciting. Fans simply want to see the best players/teams play. I would rather watch 4th place Spurs than Trabzonspor 10 times out of 10 b/c they are better. Not really much to it. There is a reason why the CL is in the format it is in now.
Then watch the PL! They play 38 times in the PL.

Fans in China would probably be ecstatic with a closed shop CL of only the big teams. Thankfully their opinions aren't the only factor. There are supporters of teams across Europe, supporters who actually go to games... They deserve to see their teams given a realistic path to competition for the highest honor in European Club football, not getting shunted out by popular PL teams that have won feck all

TheGame

Spot on!

tomaldinho1

In an ideal world the PL doesn't have so much money and you have 2-3 elite teams coming from a few different leagues each year. I almost used to prefer it when the PL wasn't so powerful, there's a bit less magic now in the European ties because generally you feel the PL teams are favourites against just about anyone. The hope is it continues to work in cycles, it was Serie A, then La Liga, now the PL but I just don't see how given the financial issues we're seeing outside of the PL.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
Yes, 06-07. Literally staggered over the line to a win at Goodison Park to stay ahead of Chelsea, while Milan rested their entire team (far from winning the league, comfortably in 4th place) to prepare for the 3-0 mullering they have us at the San Siro.
That's the one! That was so annoying. Think we would have won that game if we weren't so heavily and rightfully involved in winning the league. Bloody Milan.

Oranges038

Yeah Uefa maths is - More games = More money (for us). Thet don't care about the quality or entertainment value.

There's a lot of people, I would say the majority who will only watch the games when one of the biggest 5 or 6 teams are playing or when it's knock out stages.

Nobody really cares if Sporting are playing Lille or if it's a Group H match between Shaktar & Besiktas to see who gets into the EL. They wouldn't even register with most people.

But make these knock out games over 2 legs and every game is instantly 100 times more appealing. But, if you'd rather watch spuds and other 4th place teams play dead rubber matches. That's your choice.

Less higher quality games with more entertainment value should be the aim, not more games in the arse end of Azerbaijan that nobody gives a fook about.

Plus, if the CL was that important, then players would leave for teams abroad to join contenders in other leagues that were in the CL. Theoretically.
Which is what the 90s / early 2000 were like, there was a better spread of really good players across different leagues. CL just seemed a lot better when there were less teams, less games and better players spread out across those teams.

Or maybe I am romanticizing it a bit or getting old.

I am off out to get some bovril.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Then watch the PL! They play 38 times in the PL.

Fans in China would probably be ecstatic with a closed shop CL of only the big teams. Thankfully their opinions aren't the only factor. There are supporters of teams across Europe, supporters who actually go to games... They deserve to see their teams given a realistic path to competition for the highest honor in European Club football, not getting shunted out by popular PL teams that have won feck all
Obviously mean watching them play another team in Europe. This isn't specific to the PL, and I'm not even saying it's fair, but it is undeniable that the teams are better in better leagues.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Yeah Uefa maths is - More games = More money (for us). Thet don't care about the quality or entertainment value.

There's a lot of people, I would say the majority who will only watch the games when one of the biggest 5 or 6 teams are playing or when it's knock out stages.

Nobody really cares if Sporting are playing Lille or if it's a Group H match between Shaktar & Besiktas to see who gets into the EL. They wouldn't even register with most people.

But make these knock out games over 2 legs and every game is instantly 100 times more appealing. But, if you'd rather watch spuds and other 4th place teams play dead rubber matches. That's your choice.

Less higher quality games with more entertainment value should be the aim, not more games in the arse end of Azerbaijan that nobody gives a fook about.
The format of the UCL is another matter. I was speaking about the quality of the teams

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
It's interesting how people perceive things. Milan had a deep team and would rotate players the same way United would and they didn't actually do anything special for the Torino game. In fact people would have a better case for the previous game that they lost.

MexicanCowboy

Supports
Barcelona
Bit unfair?
What's unfair is having to compete with oíl clubs. Without the oíl clubs the Premier League had United, Arsenal and Liverpool competing for top spots and sometimes a smaller team getting in as well. This so called competitivenes that makes the Premier League the best League and makes its fans call other leagues farmers leagues, pretty much started with Chelsea and Man City being bought by billionaires. Before that it was also kind of dull as it was won by United most years and Arsenal occasionally.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
What's unfair is having to compete with oíl clubs. Without the oíl clubs the Premier League had United, Arsenal and Liverpool competing for top spots and sometimes a smaller team getting in as well. This so called competitivenes that makes the Premier League the best League and makes its fans call other leagues farmers leagues, pretty much started with Chelsea and Man City being bought by billionaires. Before that it was also kind of dull as it was won by United most years and Arsenal occasionally.
Can't argue with that.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Some players really have a high opinion of themselves when they only insist on moving to clubs that offer CL football, especially when they've done nothing exciting at their previous clubs. I feel that this demand is only reserved for a certain group of elite players.

It also makes a mockery of their demands when they end up on the bench, regularly get subbed or their team gets put in the Europa or better still knocked out of the groups outright.

It's just becoming a fashionable thing to say...even by your average players. But not everyone can play in the Champions League. It's just getting ridiculous now.

Reij

Supports
Bayern Munchen
After the PL spent around £1B more on transfers in comparison with other leagues for years, people are complaining about other leagues non-competitivness. Pfft
The Dortmunds, Leipzig or Atletico, Valencia, Sevilla or Inter, Milan, the Roman clubs or Monaco, Marseille were not killed by Bayern, Barca, Juventus or Madrid, but by PL trash clubs getting the first and second tier players who were destined to the above mentioned teams before the PL started the $$ offensive.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Ridiculous post.

England has the biggest Advantage out of any league in the world. They are so financially backed that a rubbish team that just got promoted has more spending power then bigger clubs that reside in Portugal and Netherlands as an example. If Dortmund was
In England with their fan base they would probably end up being a top 4 club. It’s ridiculous to think other wise. English clubs have such a lopsided advantage. Even when it comes to selling players if your English or play in England your price is inflated by insane amounts. 80M for maguire, 40M for average strikers who never proved anything. Smaller clubs are at disadvantage every time, so they NEED CL to attract top talent and be able to build competitive squads. They need that money. CL money does not matter RJ United or any English clubs, it does not affect them the same way it does for other clubs.

You talk about olympiakos but they have to go through 3 qualifying rounds to get to the CL.

Benfica also have to go through 3 rounds to get their, PSV same thing.

If other clubs had the financial capabilities of a club in England I can only imagine how things would be different. Bournemouth and Fulham have more spending power then Porto, Benfica, and Sporting. Despite being much much smaller clubs.

Also to your point about Jude going to Dortmund he went their because he knew they have an incredible history and developing talent and he would be back in England, same with Sancho.

SportingCP96

Supports
They are definitely in the conversation. English teams arent that much better than German teams and PL teams outside the CL frequently gets trashed in Europe by "inferior" teams.
If other historical clubs had the financial backing of English clubs tides would turn very fast. I use Celtic and Rangers as an example of clubs that if they were in England they eventually would take those top 4 spots or be perennial contenders as long as they had the backing. They have better Fans and would only attract more fans and their home atmospheres are much better.

SportingCP96

Supports

The least fair thing to do here is give the Premier League more CL spots to generate even more revenue to further increase their advantages over the rest of the continent.
Wow the fact Portuguese teams compete being that low in revenue even behind turkey and Russia is astonishing. I’m proud of that.

SportingCP96

Supports
Champions League should be for champions only. Too many spots given to big leagues has murdered leagues like the eredivise nevermind smaller leagues.

League champions and national Cup champions should be all. Its in the competition name.
I agree, big leagues should have less spots. England having only 2-3 spots would change the foundation heavily. It would help Portugal and Netherlands grow and catch up a little.

Chairman Steve

Whether UEFA admit it or not, I think theyd love to get more of the Premier League teams into the CL due to the fact that they’ve seen the PL’s global pull and they want some of that gravy train.

I do wish UEFA would make the Europa League more credible though. I’d abandon that ‘CL teams drop into the EL’ rule. If you’re below 2nd in the CL group stages, you’re out completely. I’ve always wondered why they don’t do alternating competition midweeks so one week it’s CL Tuesdays and Wednesdays, then the following week it’s EL Tuesdays and Wednesdays

And therefore abandon this CL Tuesdays and Wednesdays, EL Thursdays every fortnight.

Someone

Something
It's the price you pay for having a competitive league. On the other hand because the league is so competitive clubs get to make much more money than clubs from other leagues.

Cloud7

I've always felt like "Playing in the CL" has been sort of a way to represent "More likely to win something" when talking about a reason for moving to a particular club. A club that is more likely to win stuff is likely to be in the CL all the time.

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
It should be renamed the European Cup, the Champions League is false advertising. Only champions should be allowed to compete if it is really a Champions League! How can it be fair on champions from lesser leagues having to qualify when a team from say the EPL who finished 2/3/4 gets straight into the group stages?

The EPL has far too much money for it to be a fair fight. Smaller teams get more money than traditional power houses and now the English want even more places?

The PL has caused more damage to the game than any league. The transfer market was destroyed by the English League. Where else can teams throw money at a £20m player and have them sit on a bench for the rest of that contract because they know they will get more wages than they would anywhere else.

Its the PL in this instance but it could easily be Laliga or Serie A if they were the dominant domestic competition.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Bit unfair?
Yeh but the EPL is brimming with money and the lure of competition. So tit for tat