Giggs Super Injunction......

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Though tbh, I don't think morals are equatable to religion, personally, as religion is more than just a code of conduct. Surely parents are encouraged (or supposed) to pass on morals to their children? Not doing so would be considered negligent parenting surely?
The same could be argued for religion by believers, and we are not your children.

Moral and religion are not the same, I'm just talking in the context of talking to strangers about either; different sets of circumstances and experiences will play a part.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
The same could be argued for religion by believers, and we are not your children.

Moral and religion are not the same, I'm just talking in the context of talking to strangers about either; different sets of circumstances and experiences will play a part.
But how far do we take that credos? Keeping your own counsel is noble in person but redundant on a forum where the chief requirement is people's opinions on things..

It's all about levels, and moderation and what not too. No one is forcing anyone to act a certain way, and it would be wrong (morally!) to impose your morality on someone else as law (again, depending on what it is) but whilst it's not your responsibility to teach other people's kids your morality if, say, your son had a mate round who wild out or started nicking things from the local it would hardly be rude or out of place to tell him it's wrong?...Or at the least that you consider it wrong?...

No one's forcing anyone to abide by anything, but if the idea is that your own morality should not be spoken, then I'd consider it more of a case of "don't talk to me about things I don't want to hear" than "keeping your counsel is wise" I'm absolutely fine with people telling me about their religion, as long as they're prepared for a rebutal...and if not, then don't engage me in conversation.

iguanamanc

I'm quite happy to believe that ''a man is innocent until proven guilty''.

But if this all turns out to be true about Giggsy, then he is a wanker and deserves all the shit coming his way!
It's bound to be substantially true.

Let's face it - we'd all be loving it if this was happening to an icon of one of our main competitors.

By and large footballers are irresponsible twats, why should ours be more or less so? If Giggsy fecks up his marriage (and others), he ain't going to go and slit his wrists.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Well very possibly, but that's neither here nor there until I do...But it would clearly make me a hypocrite. Though I'd assure you that if I did, I'd be incredibly disappointed in myself, and blame myself entirely and take the responsibility & whatever consequences come with it, rather than about turn and say "yeah, well, we all do it don't we, it's natural, if she's fit, etc etc"....And I'm not sure how you've worked out Giggsy isn't hiding it...He's clearly been hiding it from his wife, and his other mistresses. I'd say it was all very secretive. No he didn't flaunt it like George Best, but with a wife & family and a profile, that would've been an incredibly stupid thing to do.

I'm not saying I hate all people that cheat, far from it. Cheating happens. A lot. And in a lot of cases it's merely a drunken mistake rather than a calculated affair. Plus there are loads of things I've done that I'm sure people who've cheated can look down on me for. I've stolen, I've injured people, I've lied, frequently. I'm hardly holding myself up as the moral bastion of everything, just pointing out I think cheating is shitty, and trying to dismiss it is even shittier, and actually doens't make any sense. But loads of people cheat, some of my best friends have and I'm pretty sure my dad has. Everyone makes mistakes about something or other. What's that quote? "I don't ask that people don't make mistakes, but I do ask they take responsibility for them"...I'm not even sure that's really a quote now, but yeah, that's the point.

It's simply the excusing verbal gymnastics that some use to try and dismiss their own shitty behaviour as really not their fault, and actually something anyone and everyone does, that makes me feel like posting about it...

But you know, there you go. They're just my opinions on it. I'm not going to enforce them into law or anything.
I hear what you're saying, but that (the moralising) goes down as well as 2 hour lecture that you've heard several times before... It's also simplified and idealistic, not how I see the world...

And you sound like a bit of a scally :D

Just practise it and enough with the preaching? Moral superiority is the new religion. Different strokes ... ahem ... and all that.
Pretty much how I feel...

lynchie

It's bound to be substantially true.

Let's face it - we'd all be loving it if this was happening to an icon of one of our main competitors.

By and large footballers are irresponsible twats, why should ours be more or less so? If Giggsy fecks up his marriage (and others), he ain't going to go and slit his wrists.
I'm a long way from convinced he got the sister-in-law pregnant and made her have an abortion. There's no way she had an abortion shortly before her wedding night and Rhodri didn't notice anything wrong.

Mockney

I hear what you're saying, but that (the moralising) goes down as well as 2 hour lecture that you've heard several times before... It's also simplified and idealistic, not how I see the world...

And you sound like a bit of a scally :D
I was..In fact I was worse, I was a wannabe scally, cos I was just about middle class enough to not actually be one. I also didn't grow until quite late, so before 17 I had short man syndrome combined with all your usual adolescent world hating..

Pretty much how I feel...
And yet you've posted 17 times in this thread....i've posted 30, but then I'm not bothered if I, or other people talk about it.

These threads always end up the same. A few people go massively overboard in their judmentalness, declare the player beyond redemption and claim it's forever tarred their image of him, which being an insignificant nobody on the internet is of no consequence to anyone or anything anyway, let alone the player, and in about 3 months when he does something great on the pitch they'll have completely forgotten about it anyway.

But then, in rebuttal, a swarm of posters join to talk very proudly about how they're not talking about it. And how people who are talking about it are being pious and twatish and shouldn't be. They then go on and on, talking about how they're not talking about it, and aren't making any judgements on him, and yet bizarrely are on the internet posters talking about it, which is clearly the graver crime...cos they're not talking about it.

...It's this that's always struck me as the odder mentality tbh. (not saying you're doing this btw afro)

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
And yet you've posted 17 times in this thread....
Mainly to do with boredom at work to be honest, which also accounts for half the caf's posters to be fair... which is a good reason not to read too much into a caftards postings, I tend not to anyway...

'A few people go massively overboard in their judmentalness, declare the player beyond redemption and claim it's forever tarred their image of him...'

I don't get this, but I find it hard to be that judgemental after acknowledging that I'm not perfect myself... I just take people as the come, flawed, surprising, interesting...

'...a swarm of posters join to talk very proudly about how they're not talking about it. And how people who are talking about it are being pious and twatish and shouldn't be. They then go on and on, talking about how they're not talking about it, and aren't making any judgements on him...'

Haven't seen much of this to be fair, and it certainly doesn't apply to me. It has similarities to the 'twitter' threads in that posters come in and slate twitter and claim that they are above such things but end up posting as much as the next guy in said thread...

As far as this thread's concerned I think Giggs did a twattish thing but I'm not gonna get up on a soapbox over it while saying nowt to the people around me that have done and do the same sort of things... I just live and let live...

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
Not to worry, it's Rhodri's turn to be the love rat in today's tabloids for cheating on Natasha four months ago. All's well that ends well.

Mockney

Well being sued from all angles, having your editor resign and have to face questions in the Commons would usually stop you for a least a little bit.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Funny how both Andy Gray & Ryan Giggs have been targets of assassination-by-media when they're in the process of suing - lo and behold - News International, responsible for The Sun & the News of the World.

iguanamanc

I'm a long way from convinced he got the sister-in-law pregnant and made her have an abortion. There's no way she had an abortion shortly before her wedding night and Rhodri didn't notice anything wrong.
Rhodri wouldn't notice either way, because from the amount of shagging she seems to have gotten up to, she probably had a fanny like a witch's sleeve anyway.

EricaNo7

They're all rags Taurean. I don't know why people still buy any of the newspapers, other than the independent for news. Journalism is absolutely shite right now.
i have to agree with you here. It's all about sensationalism , despite the content.

My son wanted to do political journalism, but he was so disappointed, and also enraged, at the press surrounding the inquest into his friend's death that he 's been put off completely.

And he hates the Daily Mail too, btw

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
I can't believe there are still people who take what they read in the papers as gospel.

Eyepopper

Newspaper income is based on advertising revenue which is determined by circulation. Print more bullshit, sell more papers, charge more for advertising.

A one off payment and an apology on p50 aren't gonna stop it. People need to stop reading this shit.

Eyepopper

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
Funny how both Andy Gray & Ryan Giggs have been targets of assassination-by-media when they're in the process of suing - lo and behold - News International, responsible for The Sun & the News of the World.
Exactly! Eh Rupert?