Giroud | Signed for Arsenal

Status
Not open for further replies.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
I will wallow in my humiliation.

As punishment I'll make myself watch Ligue 1 next season so I can converse intelligently on French transfer targets.

The truth is that I don't even know what a striker is, and I've just been faking it this whole time! I can't even read or write, I'm just getting lucky, like the monkey that was able to write 'A Tale of Two Cities' on a typewriter.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
How can you judge a players ability/natural position just at this Euro if they've only had 15 minutes vs Ukraine and 7 minutes vs Sweden?

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Really I just had a feeling, from reading about this guy and the bit I saw of him play, that he was a typical Arsenal type player. Since he seemed to be playing as an attacking midfielder I added in that he looked good enough to provide cover for two of their players.

Probably a comment not worth sharing with the world on the internet, except I've managed to amuse many people with it, which is it's own reward. It's very likely I was half asleep or inebriated.

Hey I got a tagline out of it, one that doesn't cast aspersions on my mother's honor, I'll take what I can get.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
If he's a striker he doesn't seem like the sort to lead the line, and Arsenal play a 433, is he going to play wide or as an attacking midfielder? Obviously my thought was the latter. Or maybe I have it wrong and he'll be RVPs replacement.
He won a remarkable 75% of his headers last season - a better success rate than any striker in England. Only two strikers in Europe's top 5 leagues won more headers than him last season. He's absolutely the kind of striker to lead the line, his cameo against Iceland showed that perfectly:

That was in his second game, after scoring a nice goal against Germany on his debut. That's what he'll do - he'll bring others into play, he'll offer a physical and aerial presence and he might sneak you a goal. For Montpellier he plays up top on his own with Belhanda in behind him, for France he's generally played up top on his own with Nasri behind him. Against Sweden the other day it was Benzema in behind him, with Giroud right up top as he always is. He's not a midfielder, not a Silva type, not even a Rooney type. He's a proper forward. And from what he's shown for France - mainly in the friendlies before the Euros - he looks a good one.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Looks like he will take Chamakh's place in the squad. I'm sure it won't take much for him to be considered an upgrade.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
He won a remarkable 75% of his headers last season - a better success rate than any striker in England. Only two strikers in Europe's top 5 leagues won more headers than him last season. He's absolutely the kind of striker to lead the line, his cameo against Iceland showed that perfectly:

That was in his second game, after scoring a nice goal against Germany on his debut. That's what he'll do - he'll bring others into play, he'll offer a physical and aerial presence and he might sneak you a goal. For Montpellier he plays up top on his own with Belhanda in behind him, for France he's generally played up top on his own with Nasri behind him. Against Sweden the other day it was Benzema in behind him, with Giroud right up top as he always is. He's not a midfielder, not a Silva type, not even a Rooney type. He's a proper forward. And from what he's shown for France - mainly in the friendlies before the Euros - he looks a good one.
Now I think I'm confusing him with another player, because the guy I noticed was definitely NOT 6 foot 3 1/2 inches, which Giroud is according to wikipedia. And I'm pretty sure the player I noticed played the entire game and wasn't a sub. This guy wasn't going for headers, he was running in behind the main attackers and had good close control.

Looking at the squad is has to be Cabaye. I don't think it can be Giroud because I remember Benzema also being on the pitch at the same time, and Giroud was his substitute against England.

Is that even worse, that I didn't know who I was talking about?

Here I was thinking I would make a good scout, when in reality I would have sent SAF another Bebe, thinking I was buying a different player on the team!

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
I'm obviously on a roll.

I actually make a point of not posting on topics I don't know much about, so I have to laugh that I've managed to made such an amusing gaff.

Even worse I barely remember the game in question, and the more I think about it the more it all blurs together. I've been thinking the game may have been a friendly before the tournament. Maybe it was Giroud, maybe it was Obama or a shaved bear stuffed in a shirt.

At least I know one thing: he was French. Or became a citizen upon moving to the country.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
:lol:

I thought he was playing as an attacking midfield when I saw him for France, my bad. I am such a terrible scout!

Not to ruin the fun, but what I should have said was after watching him play a game I thought, "He looks like an Arsenal player". He looked to be a quality player but not any better than Ramsey or Wilshere.

But I deserve that for teasing people for talking out of their asses!

Never said I saw him play more than once, in fact I saw him play exactly once, for France, at these Euros.

If he's a striker he doesn't seem like the sort to lead the line, and Arsenal play a 433, is he going to play wide or as an attacking midfielder? Obviously my thought was the latter. Or maybe I have it wrong and he'll be RVPs replacement.
You're at it again ..

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Yeah, I would never suggest a guy a shade under 6'4 couldn't lead a line.

Amusing confusion aside, if he signs for Le Arse do you guys think he's a replacement for RVP, or could he play on the right of left of a front 3 with him?

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder

Amusing confusion aside, if he signs for Le Arse do you guys think he's a replacement for RVP, or could he play on the right of left of a front 3 with him?
Whenever Ive watched him for montpellier this season I've thought he could do a good job at fullback. He reminds me of a white Sagna.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
Don't change the subject. We aren't done mocking you.

I think 'Giroud in midfield' could become the new 'Anderson at leftback' in Caf lore.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
I'll see if I can fan the flames then.

Giroud is too short, we need Crouch in midfield! And I mean deep midfield, as a sweeper, practically a center back. His teeth will block more shots than Vidic and Rio manage together in a season!

Giroud can take over for Scholes, Crouch will feed him the ball from defense and he can use his amazing 'seal dribble' to simply run past the players without having to let the ball touch the ground.

And he scores amazing bicycle kicks, I used to train with him outside of a cheese factory near Chateau Merde, I know all about it. He's the next Maradona.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

If RVP stays, I think Giroud will be his direct replacement but he goes he'll more or less be guaranteed to start for Arsenal.He's a player who can "only" lead the line.
Wenger might try to play them at the same time but that would affect RVP I think

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
I like him a lot and think he could be a great buy for Wenger, a throwback poaching goalscorer that is a rarity these days

JazzG

Resident Arse.
He has to earn the right to wear that shirt, it is sacred ;)

Drifter

American
Just a Confirmation

Montpellier president Louis Nicollin claims Arsenal have completed the signing of France forward Olivier Giroud.

Giroud, part of Laurent Blanc's Euro 2012 squad which was knocked out by Spain in the quarter-finals on Saturday, is thought to command a transfer fee in the region of £13million.

The 25-year-old scored 25 goals for his club last season to help Montpellier win the Ligue 1 title, igniting the interest of several top clubs.

Last week, Gunners boss Arsene Wenger revealed a deal was "90%" complete as he looked to add the promising Frenchman to his squad, which has already been bolstered by the arrival of Germany marksman Lukas Podolski.

Speaking to French newspaper Midi Libre, Montpellier president Nicollin confirmed the transfer had now been completed after Arsenal met the player's release clause.

Nicollin said: "I wish him well."

Arsenal have not yet made any official comment, but an announcement by the Barclays Premier League club is believed to be imminent.

Once the transfer for Giroud is formally complete, Arsenal could then look to offload some of their fringe players, including Denmark striker Nicklas Bendtner and Morocco international Marouane Chamakh as well as Mexico forward Carlos Vela and Brazilian midfielder Denilson.

However, Nicollin maintained a move to take Chamakh in the opposite direction back to France was not part of the Giroud deal.

Wenger, who is at the European Championship working as a media pundit, is convinced Giroud can be a big hit at Arsenal.

"I think he has exceptional potential and will integrate very well in our collective and our way of playing," he said last week.

"He is a real team player and knows how to combine with other players and I'm sure he will do well with us."

SATA

I know this isn't the way of judging players, but he came on for France against Spain the other day, seen him play for about the 10 minutes he was on and instantly reminded me of Andy Carroll. Raw, big, clumsy and a penchant for fouling opposition defenders

Cina

Seriously though, Wenger should really be buying more defensive players. I can't see why'd he'd be buying both Podolski and this lad if one or two of their attackers weren't off this Summer, like RVP.

prateik

They needed cover at RB. Santos is a bit fat and that Joel Campbell kid is still very young.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
Yet to be convinced that RVP will leave. None of the really big clubs across Europe really need him including City. And he's really only had 1 injury free season. Is that enough to convince a club to part with huge wages?

Cina

Yet to be convinced that RVP will leave. None of the really big clubs across Europe really need him including City. And he's really only had 1 injury free season. Is that enough to convince a club to part with huge wages?
I really wouldn't be surprised if City paid out, assuming they get rid of Tevez.

Trionz

Seriously though, Wenger should really be buying more defensive players. I can't see why'd he'd be buying both Podolski and this lad if one or two of their attackers weren't off this Summer, like RVP.
Our reliance on Persie to score was visible.
We need more goal scorers and a backup to Persie.

Status
Not open for further replies.