g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Give it Ole until the end of the season...

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
for me it was undoubtedly the best period in the postFergie era.
It absolutely was, the football was entertaining at least. There was a feel good mood around the club. It was fun again.

But I wouldn’t want to see him back at the club, out of love and respect for Ole himself. The abuse he suffered, the stick from the media he had to endure, and the way his language was taken out of context and used against him. The way Woodward hung him out to dry. It was painful seeing what the job did to him, and how he was treated at the end. I feared it when he was appointed as interim last time, and it came to pass.
At least with someone like Jose or LVG there is a degree of separation. It’s just part and parcel of the job really, but you don’t like to see it happen to club legends who deserve better.
I wouldn’t want that a second time and not should he. Let’s just remember the good times we had together.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
It would be peak United to even feck up a new manager bump because we hire an old manager..

Robbie Boy

It absolutely was, the football was entertaining at least. There was a feel good mood around the club. It was fun again.
This "feelgood" factor is completely overstated. There was an initial feelgood factor when he took over as interim. Then we went on an absolutely horrible run from when he was appointed permanently, to when Bruno came in and bailed him out. There's a reason why he was a very divisive permanent manager, despite some believing we were all living in some blissful euthopia during his reign.

Heinzesight

I know we are one of the biggest clubs in the world and it would be an honour for any manger or coach to come in, even for a few weeks…but none of them would want getting royally rodded in the FA Cup Final on their CV.

lex talionis

If all these injuries are real, there’s nothing Ole could possibly do to whip the players who are fit into a goal scoring, sheet cleaning machine.

Best to end our miserable season as it began last summer in America, when we getting schooled match after match. Then we thank ten Hag for his service to the club and bring in a manager. Who I have no idea, but not Ole. And not Jose. Not even Louis. Although I would take Ralf, who could see our squad was nowhere near fit for purpose.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Crazy how often it happens on here. Be it a transfer or managerial thread, page after page of discussion based on some crackpot suggestion and not a single even tenuous link.

tomaldinho1

I think all three of the bolded players will be either sold or be phased out within 2 seasons, personally. Can't see us getting decent fees for Mount or Antony due to their wages (a tale as old as time at this club).
I guess we'll see but worth saying the biggest issues ETH has had to deal with were of Ole's making. Maguire, Ronaldo, Sancho, Varane.
Even if all are phased out in a season or two, it all just depends on the fee/how they do. With Ole's transfers you'll struggle to find a worse bunch from a cultural perspective, add Cavani into that bunch.

Robbie Boy

Yeah, a decade of mismanagement at the very highest level, coupled with an incoherent footballing strategy, a culture lacking accountability whilst rewarding mediocrity and the appointment/signings of inadequate managers/players = where we are right now.

2, 5, 7 years ago, we could at least somewhat spend our way into a new strategy, but we don't even have that luxury anymore.
We're in a place now where we're relying on INEOS to create a successful footballing structure. If this fails, then we could be doomed for a hell of a-lot longer. If they done something as utterly ridiculous as bringing back a failed manager as their first big act, it would set a pretty awful precedent.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
We're in a place now where we're relying on INEOS to create a successful footballing structure. If this fails, then we could be doomed for a hell of a-lot longer. If they done something as utterly ridiculous as bringing back a failed manager as their first big act, it would set a pretty awful precedent.
Yep. The Glazers and their "yes men" running the show post SAF have well & truly fecked up this club. Gross incompetence of the highest magnitude. And the sad part is that all of them still made (& continue to make) a ton of money on the back of this failure.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Stop re-writing history to suit your ole driven agenda. You disparage ETH finishing third because as you've stated 'other teams being awful' yet the reality is by that standard the same can be applied to Ole finishing second. Liverpool were well out of the champions league all season and went unbeaten in their last 10 games to manage to climb into them. They lost 6 games in a row at anfield, which is unheard of in the klopp era. Arsenal were 10th most of the season, spurs were spurs and chelsea trailed Leicester most of the season and pipped them at the end when the wheels came off, so Ole was equally as lucky then I suppose.

I also take exception to the football being good under ole, it looked great when we played a team who would dominate the ball and let us counter, it was equally as bad when we faced a team who used a low block, absolutely no idea and no creativity to break that down. Do you think he has somehow solved that riddle in his time away from management?

Ole was a failure, but for some reason he has a weird **** who worship the ground he walks on as Manchester United manager (similar to the **** of martial who for some reason defend him even though his body is made of crackers) despite the fact that when it really boils down to it he was an abstract failure, he never won anything and didn't really put his mark on the team in anyway. ETH is a more successful manchester united manager than ole was and he needs to go too.

If we walked it back and got ole back in any form of full time capacity i'd seriously considering letting my season ticket go, thankfully I don't think INEOS are that stupid.
ETH is more successful by winning a trophy where he played villa, Charlton, forest and Newcastle. Depends which way you look at it because Ole was more successful in implementing his style, I actually remember him having tons of possession and creating chances against lower teams but just failed to scored like you said, nowadays we’re getting dominated by teams in possession and chances. Ole was also more successful in getting the best out of the squad, he had Mctominay and Fred in Cm compared to ETHs midfield. He got the best out of Rashford, made Martial a good player, got the best out of Bruno, he had an immense season under Ole. I’m not trying to re write history, I’m saying he’d be the best option until the end of the season and he’s an option where we won’t fall for the trap of employing him against where as that could happen with any other interim. Ole probably won’t want the job full time anyway but he’d probably jump at the chance to manage a few more games and an FA cup final… he made players enjoy football… by the looks of it ETH is making everyone hate football.

Robbie Boy

Every single one of those would be able to do better than ETH right now. He has zero respect from the players so any of those names could at least get a bounce.
Yet, they were all failures and in no world should any of them be considered for a position here ever again.

DJ_21

Never go back.
No Ole, no Carrick, No McKenna. No Giggsy. No Moyes, No LVG and aww hells mega-feck no Jose. Ever. Again.
Not full time but on an interim till end of the season, any of them could be decent. Except Jose. Don’t think he’s one to come in and cheer this squad up and get a reaction. Ancelotti returned to Madrid, Mourinho returned to Chelsea. It does happen.

sugar_kane

I would fecking love it. The season is over, we might as well roll the dice and have a bit of fun. Give Ole another shot at a trophy.

The only issue is unless we get key players back we will get thumped in the final regardless of who's in charged. In a hypothetical scenario where Martinez, Shaw & Varane are fit to start it's not beyond the realms of possibility that an interim gives us enough of a boost to have a chance in the final. Otherwise not happening.

Regardless, INEOS would never do it - no-one would take them seriously. Same if they brought Jose in.

If Woody was still in charge I wouldn't bet against it happening.

DJ_21

Yet, they were all failures and in no world should any of them be considered for a position here ever again.
Bit harsh on Carrick and McKenna mate. They was following Oles methods here. They’ve both shown what they can do on their own.

Robbie Boy

Bit harsh on Carrick and McKenna mate. They was following Oles methods here. They’ve both shown what they can do on their own.
Yeah why are they on the list :confused:

I'm obviously talking about managers. I don't blame the coaching staff.

Lentwood

As someone who supported Ole and think the "worst manager" and "PE teacher" takes are nonsense, this is an awful suggestion.

We've been repeating the same mistakes constantly since Fergie left, throwing managers with contradictory approaches at the problem. To literally recycle one of said managers would be a backwards step beyond any other we've taken.

I'd much rather we look forward, and plan for the future beyond a single match this season.
But it's for four games....nobody is suggesting it beyond that

DSG

But I wouldn’t want to see him back at the club, out of love and respect for Ole himself. The abuse he suffered, the stick from the media he had to endure, and the way his language was taken out of context and used against him. The way Woodward hung him out to dry. It was painful seeing what the job did to him, and how he was treated at the end. I feared it when he was appointed as interim last time, and it came to pass.
At least with someone like Jose or LVG there is a degree of separation. It’s just part and parcel of the job really, but you don’t like to see it happen to club legends who deserve better.
I wouldn’t want that a second time and not should he. Let’s just remember the good times we had together.
I agree with this. No, he wasn’t good enough as our standards are at minimum, challenging for the league. But he oversaw the most exciting period for me post Fergie. Especially during Covid when we had MMM and Bruno. We had an identity, and I know many on the Caf want possession dominance style football, but I personally love to watch well executed counterattacking, and it felt fun again.

You’re right, I wouldn’t want hi.m to come back, although he would because he loves the club.

tomaldinho1

Imagine someone told you 11 years ago that some fans would be pining over a manager who had a failed 3 year tenure, but had a decent H2H record vs the City manager. Standards eh :(
It is truly the small club mentality, give up on winning anything or trying to be something different but go back to what is most 'safe' and might get you a win you can tell your kids about...

Winrar

I mean why the feck not at this point. At least Ole had a respectable record against City.

The Hilton

But it's for four games....nobody is suggesting it beyond that
Well for starters that's exactly how we ended up with 3 years of Ole.

But even aside from that, it sends a horribly short term message if we're going back to the exact same caretaker again.

The_Midfielder

It is truly the small club mentality, give up on winning anything or trying to be something different but go back to what is most 'safe' and might get you a win you can tell your kids about...
If he is able to win the FA Cup .. do we care ?
Why do you wanna tell your kids..
Even if we win by a Maguire 97th min goal..
After getting hammered for 96 mins.. do we care ?

Real was hammered by City 3 weeks back and won in penalties .. do they care if they win the CL

Von Mistelroum

Did not think (and still don't think) he's a great manager and definitely not United level, but hey, I'm sick of the sight of EtH and his tactics, and just for a handful of games would be great to see for a wonderful former player and all round great guy.

For the record though, I've always had a soft spot for Mourinho too and would feel the same about giving him these games in many ways.

DJ_21

Imagine someone told you 11 years ago that some fans would be pining over a manager who had a failed 3 year tenure, but had a decent H2H record vs the City manager. Standards eh :(
Ye I agree it’s not ideal. But out of the options it’s probably the best one. And his head to head against city and pep probably gets mentioned because that’s our biggest game of the season left. FA cup final. All in all though he’s nowhere near good enough to manage us permanently.

LInkash

This "feelgood" factor is completely overstated. There was an initial feelgood factor when he took over as interim. Then we went on an absolutely horrible run from when he was appointed permanently, to when Bruno came in and bailed him out. There's a reason why he was a very divisive permanent manager, despite some believing we were all living in some blissful euthopia during his reign.
About Bruno bailing him out, I'd argue that Ole got the best out of Bruno. Bruno was so consistently good under him, well until Ronaldo came and he just become a servant to him.

Getting the best out of Bruno will be so important to do well in the FA Cup final so I think a mini bounce, with Bruno as the star and Ole's experience in winning against Pep could be a recipe success.

DJ_21

What was his record against City again? I remember a few good wins but did he have a winning record?
Think he broke a record where only he and I think maybe 1 other manager has beaten pep 3 times in one season.

Robbie Boy

About Bruno bailing him out, I'd argue that Ole got the best out of Bruno. Bruno was so consistently good under him, well until Ronaldo came and he just become a servant to him.

Getting the best out of Bruno will be so important to do well in the FA Cup final so I think a mini bounce, with Bruno as the star and Ole's experience in winning against Pep could be a recipe success.
Well we also had the most penos ever given in a season and played sloppy, disjointed football with Bruno feeding an in-form attacking trio.

Robbie Boy

Ye I agree it’s not ideal. But out of the options it’s probably the best one. And his head to head against city and pep probably gets mentioned because that’s our biggest game of the season left. FA cup final. All in all though he’s nowhere near good enough to manage us permanently.
There is no "best one" though as we clearly aren't going to fire a manager in May. It's all hypothetical nonsense. I would also argue that what Ole walked into last time suited him far better to get some kind of initial bounce. I don't feel the conditions are optimal this time.

Robbie Boy

Oh how we used to laugh our asses off at the Liverpool fans bigging up beating us here-and-there while we were off racking up title-after-title.

Robbie Boy

Absolutely correct. Shows how little confidence I have in ETH finishing this season with anything beyond 4 defeats.
I would say that's probably correct or thereabouts. But, we've left it far too late to bring in an interim.