Glasgow rumour - Virgil van Dijk

Status
Not open for further replies.

McGeady10

Rumour going around Glasgow that Virgil van Dijk is signing for United and it was during the negotiations for that deal that Blackett ended up at Celtic Park on loan.

£8m up front plus Blackett on a 12 month loan.

If United get Champions Legaue next year there's a £3m fee due to Celtic which would cover making Blackett's move permanent.

Van Dijk is a classy player with a lot of attributes but isn't a natural defender. Will be interesting to see how he does.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
He's as average as it gets. Physically perhaps impressive but in the CL he was absolutely abysmal.

izec

Dont know, so many good and young CBs around, he doesnt seem to fit the bill from what i have read on here

Robbie Boy

Looks a class act and very good on the ball. He had a mare against Malmo over both legs, though. I felt Denayer probably out-performed him last season, too. I had him down as a banker for Southampton at some point and think he will go to a club around that level. I seriously doubt we are in for him. The gap from the SPL to the PL is huge, let alone the SPL to one of the top PL teams.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
Got Southampton or John Stones replacement written all over him.

Señor

Humongous twit who can't read
I know nothing about him but isn't he a Netherlands international? Might be something in this.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
The thought crossed my mind but if we do we are desperate. Don't think he's good enough.he was shocking against Malmö, for someone so tall he allowed himself to be itimidated aerially. No thanks

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
Barring a few strikers in the SPL, the majority rely on speed or strength to beat defenders (rather than decent movement). Van Dijk could match pretty much any striker for both of these. Physically he is excellent but it's hard to tell how good he actually is at defending. Excellent on the ball though, probably worth £8 million as it's pocket change to big clubs.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Barring a few strikers in the SPL, the majority rely on speed or strength to beat defenders (rather than decent movement). Van Dijk could match pretty much any striker for both of these. Physically he is excellent but it's hard to tell how good he actually is at defending. Excellent on the ball though, probably worth £8 million as it's pocket change to big clubs.
You sign him then, you need a CB.

Robbie Boy

He's brilliant on the ball and scored against some SPL dross last season with a run from his own half. But physically he actually gets outmuscled and out-jumped quite regularly for someone of his size. He is quick, but not lightning quick and the difference in speed between the SPL and the PL are worlds apart. He has progressed massively since moving to Celtic and will probably make his international debut in the near future.

SocccerNomics

Not a full international yet.
Unlikely to become one if he becomes our 4th/5th choice central defender. Feels an odd move, although maybe we're just trying to skip the step where we are expected to buy players from Southampton for twice what they paid for them...

m1y2

We have some great youth prospects, this wouldn't ake sense as he is not anything special, be it world class or not want..

Robbie Boy

Unlikely to become one if he becomes our 4th/5th choice central defender. Feels an odd move, although maybe we're just trying to skip the step where we are expected to buy players from Southampton for twice what they paid for them...
Or let's be honest, there's most likely nothing in this story. I expect him to leave to Southampton or someone of that ilk. They also desperately need to upgrade their defence as Yoshida isn't an adequate Alderweireld replacement.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
When ever I see him he looks really good

But it's hard to judge because of the competition he is against

NL Max

Dutch ITK, for reals
A very tall and physical defender who's good on the ball and a threat from setpieces. I wanted PSV to sign him when he left Groningen and I now feel he needs to leave Celtic. He's been one of their star players ever since he signed and we could really use him for the Dutch NT, but he barely gets chosen because he plays at Celtic.

I don't think we will be in for him, another right footed defender who would just compete with Smalling, Jones and McNair. Southampton have been after him and I think he'll go there.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
He's above average in a completely rotten league. Gets caught off guard when he meets half decent opponents in Europe. Might as well blackmail WBA's doctor and tell him to ruin Evans' medical papers so that we can have him back.

Rich_H_1989

lost in a street fight to van gaal
Van Dijk is a classy player with a lot of attributes but isn't a natural defender. Will be interesting to see how he does.
If he's not a natural defender what is he? I thought he was a centre back? That's a lot of money for a player that I don't see making it in to the team? Probably improves the squad but then where does that leave the even more expensive Rojo?

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
If he takes Jonny Evans role then it's decent business. Promising young defender with good level experience.

the hea

Only seen him in the CL game against Malmö midweek but he looked nothing like a player good enough for us and we already have 5 central defenders plus Carrick so no need for another one.

Crackers

greasy ginfers
I don't think he's good enough for us. Maybe with time he could prove us wrong, but we're in need of a proven quantity in defense, not a gamble.

hbgreg

Sign him up, everyone said Wayne Rooney isn't good enough and he scored a hattrick. Trust in LvG.

Sam

I literally have no idea who he is. He sounds like a Football Manager regen. Is he even real?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I literally have no idea who he is. He sounds like a Football Manager regen. Is he even real?
I signed him for Southampton, he wasn't great, decent squad player but you won't be competitive in the CL with him. Alvarez Balanta is the real deal and very cheap.

Sam

I signed him for Southampton, he wasn't great, decent squad player but you won't be competitive in the CL with him. Alvarez Balanta is the real deal and very cheap.
I just googled him, he even looks like a FM regen. I'm suspicious of this one, I'm not entirely convinced he's a real person.

Devil may care

Can't he also play as a DM? Given how important Schneiderlin is to the defensive unit maybe LvG fancies using him as someone to cover Schneiderlin in the same sort of role rather than as a CB.

Robbie Boy

Can't he also play as a DM? Given how important Schneiderlin is to the defensive unit maybe LvG fancies using him as someone to cover Schneiderlin in the same sort of role rather than as a CB.
I've literally never seen him play as a DM. He's very good on the ball and often comes out of defence with the ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.